00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vilanael just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Darkrpg 2007-11-29 00:00:50

This game is programmed by me, and the art is by Siggles. We haven't gotten much yet, but we wanted to see what your opinions were. This game will possibly be online, as well as a single player campaign. This game will also feature a Map Editor, Campaign Editor, etc. This game will also have more races, but this is only a beta version of the game so far.

Here is what the Menu/Create Character will look like: http://www.antiup.net/view.php?id=3603

Here is the basic engine so far: http://www.antiup.net/view.php?id=3604

I know that it is not much right now, but what do you guys think so far?

BBS Signature

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-29 05:35:32

graphics are nice. what kind of fighting system will it be

what can I say

BBS Signature

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-29 05:51:31

At 11/29/07 12:00 AM, blah569 wrote: I know that it is not much right now, but what do you guys think so far?

Hey, its more than most people show us.

Looks like it'll do well. Just get a sample level for us to play about in and we'll be able to critique it better. So far though I'm a bit wierded out by his movement animation... is a bit on the wierd side of things, but otherwise I think you're both onto a winner here.

ESPECIALLY if you can add those features you detailed above.

BBS Signature

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-29 06:37:53

Doesn't look bad however the mechanics aren't all that gret. Consider something more zelta-like.

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-29 07:06:22

In third person games, having the characters in large sizes give an uneasy feel, in my opinion.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-29 08:05:13

At 11/29/07 07:06 AM, Jin wrote: In third person games, having the characters in large sizes give an uneasy feel, in my opinion.

Thanks for all of the comments so far. Also, hmmmm, I guess I'll take to Siggles and other people, and see what their opinion on that is ;).

BBS Signature

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-29 11:07:00

At 11/29/07 07:06 AM, Jin wrote: In third person games, having the characters in large sizes give an uneasy feel, in my opinion.

We could always shrink him ;)

Also, any recommendations for other Classes?

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-29 11:17:55

Bow and arrows.

Also when you click back at the first class, it doesn't jump to the last. Gotta fix that.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-29 11:56:50

Let's have a little poll here:
What would you prefer?

Overhead real time battles [ ]
Turn based battles [ ]

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-29 11:58:59

overhead real time

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-29 15:04:34

He walks like a south park character.

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-29 15:34:28

At 11/29/07 03:04 PM, zenyara wrote: He walks like a south park character.

i changed the movement cycle :P

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-29 21:13:39

At 11/29/07 11:56 AM, Siggles wrote: Let's have a little poll here:
What would you prefer?

Turn based battles [ ]

Overhead, definitely. I prefer to have something that requires more that clicking "Attack".

There is a war going on in you're mind. People and ideas all competing for you're thoughts. And if you're thinking, you're winning.

BBS Signature

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-29 21:16:09

At 11/29/07 11:56 AM, Siggles wrote: Let's have a little poll here:
What would you prefer?

Turn based battles [ ]

Overhead realtime or tactical turn-based (eg. Fallout)

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-29 22:22:57

I like the basis but I agree with them, the character should shrink :D I also think that you should look over your descriptions. You said mages have are fairly agile but not strong when speed and strength are the same...?

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-29 22:26:36

Here is a new link, and the engine is included this time.

http://www.antiup.net/view.php?id=3654

Once you make your character, refresh the window, and click "New Game," and keep clicking "Next" until you get the slot screen to see how the slots will look once a character is made. By the way, only slot 1 works right now.

BBS Signature

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-29 23:21:44

nice i like it so far.

yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-30 04:09:30

At 11/29/07 10:26 PM, blah569 wrote: Here is a new link, and the engine is included this time.

http://www.antiup.net/view.php?id=3654

Once you make your character, refresh the window, and click "New Game," and keep clicking "Next" until you get the slot screen to see how the slots will look once a character is made. By the way, only slot 1 works right now.

Where it says "Class" at the character creation screen it should say the currently selected class (warrior, etc).

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-30 08:18:26

At 11/30/07 04:09 AM, zenyara wrote: Where it says "Class" at the character creation screen it should say the currently selected class (warrior, etc).

It does, right above the description.

BBS Signature

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-30 08:21:04

At 11/30/07 04:09 AM, zenyara wrote: Where it says "Class" at the character creation screen it should say the currently selected class (warrior, etc).

It does in the grey box, and it even tells you the stats

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-30 09:07:34

Hear ye!

My thoughts on the project:

First, menus are not the most important part of the game. In fact they're the -least- important one. It's the aluminum wrapping around your chocolate. People don't care much for menus, hence why a menu should be your last priority. Besides you have a long, long, LONG way until alpha and having to go through the menu every time will piss you off and waste perhaps hours of your time. Trust me on this one.

Second, the gameplay. You have to focus on the gameplay! For the time being I just see a guy walking around. The engine probably doesn't have it's singletons up, doesn't have an audio, event manager, it probably doesn't have anything. This is where you should be focusing your attention.

Third, the storyline. Really, RPGs are about telling a story. In flash you can't make Diablo2, as hack&slash RPGs have to be technically superior to storyline-oriented RPGs. For example look at Planescape: Torment. The game had a clunky interface, several flawed design decisions such as fog of war in cities, low resolution and odd combat system. BUT all that was forgotten in spite of it's amazing storyline, well-developed characters and the incredible mood, the gritty feeling the world had. Remember this, your RPG should be a much more flashy and interactive way to tell a book. It has to have a storyline. Get a game designer and storyline writer writing! Without it your game will suck!

As for your engine here are a few tips from a professional coder:

1. Use AS3 if you aren't already.

2. Use OOP. RPGs are by far the most advanced games in the world. Learning OOP will get you a long way.

3. Lay out your game structure. Make an application class that handles the menu, loading, ect and a game class that handles the current game session.

4. Use XML as your world's language. It's simple to implement and will give you many opportunities.

5. Make a level editor. Do NOT edit levels off the scene (actually that is implied by the use of XML). I made a commercial game once that used XML levels but didn't have a level editor. You can't imagine the pain.

6. Use external libraries. There are many libraries which will speed up your game or coding process. Such as bulkloader or polygonal's data structures.

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-30 11:04:33

At 11/29/07 11:07 AM, Siggles wrote:

We could always shrink him ;)

Also, any recommendations for other Classes?

Long range, if you can do it and also you must have some kinda god or super class that is full on all of the stats.

The BIG question is, if you can arrange it well or it will be really UnOrgiNaised. For example, try to put all the "login stuff on one frame\screen. Oh and BTW your characters are too big. The grounds should move around it. not it on the ground. Good luck!

(-:

Response to Darkrpg 2007-11-30 23:53:08

I just thought I should post an update. http://www.antiup.net/view.php?id=3720. I haven't done the collision detecting yet, just basic movement with a test map.

BBS Signature

Response to Darkrpg 2007-12-01 19:05:28

Just to answer some questions, there will be a story behind the RPG, quite sad I might add. We have agreed on using overhead real time battles. There will be a class that will be the ULTIMATE class, but very hard to unlock ;)

And I'm drawing up the Archer/Hunter for a class.

Response to Darkrpg 2007-12-01 19:20:35

Unlockable classes? More would be great and not to show them or their name and their stats, it feels so much better unlocking something that you dont know what you unlocked(Sorry I dont care about grammer today) Examples are, NInja Type M, Very quick and is skilled in some degree of magic but weak in str, Ninja Type STR This type of ninja trades out his magic for str! And Samuri The ninjas other half, very low in spped and magic! Put pays for it with his armor and stergth! Battle-mage like the mage but divide the str and mage stats equally, S-Ninja this ninja attacks with alot of knives and ninja-stars which do very minimal damage but can be enchanted to a small degree. Castle Crasher Very good char! warrior 80% full in magic and strength, but only 45% in speed.

Another grteat thing to have is Elves High speed kinda like ninja but has different wpp and has a bow.
And a Stealth Tank typr of char who looks like the merchant form RE:4. Super Unlockable Time! Medival Pico slow speed, and in magic, but strangley has dual uzis(Not alot of firepower but is rapid)
also on the end of the uzi is blades, so the clip is ong the back of the gun not the handle.

Also a array of weppons would be great. Armor , starting stuff etc.... I'll post more ideas....

Response to Darkrpg 2007-12-01 19:25:08

At 11/30/07 11:53 PM, blah569 wrote: I just thought I should post an update. http://www.antiup.net/view.php?id=3720. I haven't done the collision detecting yet, just basic movement with a test map.

Gah! The walking is bad.. And he is too large! 6 of him is as big as th building! Also when you pres down/right it keeps on going down, have a slanted walking animation. Also Improve the BG! Also don't make your menu too generic, It looks like telepatic rpgs!

Response to Darkrpg 2007-12-01 19:33:58

At 12/1/07 07:25 PM, subzero90 wrote:
At 11/30/07 11:53 PM, blah569 wrote: I just thought I should post an update. http://www.antiup.net/view.php?id=3720. I haven't done the collision detecting yet, just basic movement with a test map.
Gah! The walking is bad.. And he is too large! 6 of him is as big as th building! Also when you pres down/right it keeps on going down, have a slanted walking animation. Also Improve the BG! Also don't make your menu too generic, It looks like telepatic rpgs!

Here is a new demo, is that any better? (http://www.antiup.net/view.php?id=3801)

BBS Signature

Response to Darkrpg 2007-12-01 19:36:54

At 12/1/07 07:33 PM, blah569 wrote:
Here is a new demo, is that any better? (http://www.antiup.net/view.php?id=3801)

Yes much, but he still looks like he's walking down when you pres down and right on the arrow keyes

Could you also please reply about the characters? I could do some of the artwork!

Response to Darkrpg 2007-12-01 19:51:52

At 12/1/07 07:36 PM, subzero90 wrote:
At 12/1/07 07:33 PM, blah569 wrote:
Yes much, but he still looks like he's walking down when you pres down and right on the arrow keyes

Could you also please reply about the characters? I could do some of the artwork!

About the characters, I'm not so sure about the Pico character, because this game will probably not be featured on just Newgrounds. A Ninja is essentially the same thing as an Assassin - which is in the game already. A Samurai, I'm not so sure that the game is set in Japan, but wouldn't that be a warrior, just a tad bit stronger? There will be an array of weapons in the game, which you collect when you go to the store, go on quests, etc... We will DEFINITELY not add a Castle Crasher, as it is copyrighted by the Behemoth.

And, we're sorry, no, we do not need more artists for the game ;)

Response to Darkrpg 2007-12-01 20:04:40

Then different types of assains? Also on the pico thing, You could put Armordude in there(Since most of the good games on ng go to Armor Games...) and the crazy monkey, This creature seems to have acidentl time treavled through a device he calls "teh interwebs" he is a skilled mage that masted the art of all 100 magic bananas, but only really masted a few. And for the cc thing, why not? It's not like you are gonna give a demo to ng, then be a giant butt and sell the full version later....right?