Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 18th, 2014 @ 03:39 PM Reply

At 2/18/14 02:12 PM, ClockworkSpace wrote:
At 11/4/07 05:32 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: But what will fuel my superiority complex?
I'm embarrassed to live in the same country as you

Did you just fer real reply to a 7 year old post bruh?

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 20th, 2014 @ 08:16 PM Reply

Alright, Ryanson and I threw together a quick list of records to get the ball rolling. Go ahead and pick one out of this batch, or if you hate all of them and have a better one in mind, feel free to suggest your own.

1. Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day
2. Thelonious Monk - Monk
3. A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm
4. EMA - Past Life Martyred Saints
5. Karmacoda- Eternal

The first choice will be based on what you guys say, and I'll make the final decision this weekend. It will be definite, set in stone -- no backing out.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 20th, 2014 @ 09:44 PM Reply

Always been interested in trying out A Tribe Called Quest. That's my vote.

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 21st, 2014 @ 10:36 PM Reply

I think i'll throw my vote in for the Thelonious Monk album mainly because it seems like the one I would be least likely to listen to on my own.

Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 22nd, 2014 @ 12:33 AM Reply

I vote for EMA and Tribe Called Quest

Push comes to shove, have to choose ONLY one, Tribe Called Quest

Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
You don't even want to know

BBS Signature
JaY11
JaY11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 22nd, 2014 @ 01:27 PM Reply

I love tribe (heard the album already), but I wouldn't mind doing this for Thelonious Monk. I don't mind though.

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 23rd, 2014 @ 11:57 AM Reply

Tribe and Thelonious were pretty much equal, so I flipped a coin. The winner is...

Thelonious Monk - Monk [1954]

Jazz. Jazzy piano jazz with quintets. Quintets. We're gonna listen to it, we're going to enjoy it or hate it, and then this weekend we'rer gonna discuss it. Oh boy.

Last.Fm Club

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 26th, 2014 @ 10:36 AM Reply

At 2/23/14 11:57 AM, Oolaph wrote: Tribe and Thelonious were pretty much equal, so I flipped a coin. The winner is...

Thelonious Monk - Monk [1954]

Damn, I was gonna vote for Tribe but I guess I'll give this a go.

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 28th, 2014 @ 05:53 AM Reply

Admittedly, I'm not sure why this was the record I chose. When making the list, I was thinking "everyone's heard Brilliant Corners and Straight No Chaser, better pick a lesser known Monk record so it can be something new." But then I remembered that most of you guys don't even listen to jazz in the first place. This one isn't as easily available as some of his other releases, so I apologize if you had trouble or are currently having trouble getting a hold of it. I'll make sure to do my research and see if it's easy to get a hold of next time I choose an album.

So, Thelonious Monk - Monk. It may not be considered a masterpiece of a 'true example of Monk's genius', but I really do enjoy this record and I feel that it's a really good showcase of the unique way that Thelonious played piano. His voicings, rhythms, and runs were like no one else had ever played, and still no one has gotten anywhere close to his style today. Even against the very 'run of the mill' sound of the bands he's playing with here, his unusual style of playing meshes very well and serves as a very good contrast to the group and creates a sound that isn't too out there, but is still enough to keep things interesting at all times. Things that would sound like a mistake or wrong note if anyone else were playing it work so well and really spice up the songs with the way that Thelonious uses them.

The first four tracks were recorded in '54 with Curly Russel, Art Blakey, Frank Foster, and Ray Copeland. One of the standout tracks on this half of the album is definitely Hackensack. The jumpy, but still very groove oriented rhythm of this track really catches your attention. Art Blakey's drumming on this track is fantastic. In the beginning, his grooves are very simple with small rolls to link bits together and allow for the soloists to keep the main attention, but he does an incredible job of livening things up as Monk's solo is coming to a close around the 1:40 mark. The change serves as a turning point for the song and after that, the track keeps building as he does a role to allow Frank Foster to take the stage. The song once again bumps it up as Copeland comes in, and then everyone but Blakey himself drops out and he has a drum solo which creates a very interesting break from the rest of the track which I just love. Then everyone comes back in, more energetic than they were before, run through the hook a few more times, and close on that delicious F7.

Tracks 5, 6, and 7 were recorded 5 months earlier in '53 with Percy Heath, Willie Jones, Julius Watkins, and Sonny Rollins acting as the big name in this session. With only three tracks, one of them being just a second take, this side of the record really takes a backseat to the first four tracks. They're a lot more laid back and 'forgettable' in comparison, but Sonny Rollins throws together some very nice melodies that give the tracks a very pleasant feeling, and Watkins' french horn creates an interesting dynamic as he plays along with the rest of the band. Monk's distinct playing is nice as always and spices things up, but I can't help but feel that this side really pales in comparison to the other quintet's more lively performance.

Now, I'll throw the names of anyone who participates this week into a randomizer and post who chooses next week's album on Sunday night/Monday morning. If you haven't given the album a listen yet, you can listen to most of the tracks on Youtube and it's available on pretty much any public torrent tracker WHICH I DO NOT CONDONE AT ALL OF COURSE.

Here are some quick Youtube links of most of the songs, I'm sure the others are on there too but you'll probably have to do some digging.
1. We See
2. Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
3. Locomotive
5. Let's Call This

BBS Signature
JaY11
JaY11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 28th, 2014 @ 03:24 PM Reply

At 2/28/14 05:53 AM, Oolaph wrote:
Here are some quick Youtube links of most of the songs, I'm sure the others are on there too but you'll probably have to do some digging.
1. We See
2. Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
3. Locomotive
5. Let's Call This

shit, the album I downloaded and listened to has this tracklisting:

Liza
April in Paris
Children's Song
(Just One Way to Say) I Love You
Just You, Just Me
Pannonica
Teo

I dunno what album this is but it was still a good listen and the dl said it's caled Monk

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 28th, 2014 @ 04:00 PM Reply

At 2/28/14 03:24 PM, JaY11 wrote: shit, the album I downloaded and listened to has this tracklisting:

Liza
April in Paris
Children's Song
(Just One Way to Say) I Love You
Just You, Just Me
Pannonica
Teo

I dunno what album this is but it was still a good listen and the dl said it's caled Monk

That's 'Monk.', a record of his from 1964. I tried to put the year of the record in the post to avoid confusion, but I can't blame you for mixing up two records with pretty much identical names. Glad you enjoyed it, though. At the very least you still listened to a Thelonious Monk album, so I'll still count that as participating.

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 28th, 2014 @ 10:15 PM Reply

I gave the album a couple listens and overall I thought it was definitely more pleasant than I expected. It didn't really stick with me in the way that albums I love do but when I think of Jazz I usually think of morons in berets snapping their fingers and while some dude goes way to hard in the paint on the brass and another dude just goes gadunka dunk on the bass for 20 minutes.

At the very least Monk wasn't that kind of jazz. I dunno why but it reminded me a lot of the opening and ending themes in Monster's Inc. which probably speaks more to the fact that i'm not a jazz man than a reflection on the album itself. I appreciated the lack of 20 minute jazz odysseys and that the album maintained a consistent aesthetic throughout. One thing I really like an album doing is creating an aesthetic and finding ways to build and vary it on it throughout. I didn't really feel like it did much of the latter but there was a definite feel to it and it's one I don't hear very often.

It was a nice album, I don't see myself tuning into it with much regularity in the future but at the very least I don't think i'll be as dismissive of jazz records.

If I was gonna use a totally original, not at all derivative way of qualifying the album i'd say it earned a soft 7 out of ten for me.

Slint
Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Mar. 2nd, 2014 @ 07:24 PM Reply

Better late than never. I WON'T LET YOU DOWN OOLAPH WHICH IS WHY I'LL MAKE A GIGANTIC REVIEW SONG BY SONG.

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about jazz, feel free to shit on me after you read (or most likely skim) through this review.

1. So I'm listening to it as I'm typing this, Wee See is currently playing.

Seems really enjoyable and happy so far, doesn't sound too "free" and 2deep4u, I guess it's something you could listen to both paying attention and as background music.
I'm especially enjoying the bass, seems like the bassist is just going down a road, playing a neverending riff of some sort, and it must be having a blast playing it. Sounds like the foundation, and a fantastic one at that, of the song.
Drums sound like regular jazz drums, I don't find them too fancy. I know jazz drummers are known for their skill, but ap- wait he's doing some minimalistic something else, it's a bit better than I thought.

2. Onto Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
Laid back piano. Sounds comfy. The only thing that prevents me from enjoying this a bit more than We See is the fantastic bass on it.
Trumpets (?) occasionally coming in sound excellent with the piano.
Unfortunately I don't find the drums very remarkable again, even less so than in the previous song.

3. Locomotive

Sounds cool. Different from the fast and complex jazz of We See so far.
Enjoying the shift in drum beats.
Everything else sounds pretty... average I guess.
This is the song I liked the least so far.

4. Hackensack

Back to fun times. Great bass and air instrumentation (:/), that little drum solo in the last minute was fantastic.
Those piano stabs also work really well. You can tell they're having a good time.
Really enjoyable.

5. Let's Call This

Weird as it may be, I guess it sounds slightly romantic. You know, like a jazz lovesong. Something that would fit a posh date.
That new trumpet (?) at 3:00 worked wonders, felt like a breath of fresh air.
Another really enjoyable piece of music.

6. Think of One, Take 2 and Take 1

I guess I expected these to look nearly identical but they sounded nothing alike. I liked Take 1 more than Take 2.
Take 2 felt too cluttered, while 1 felt like it used time better, you know, spaced out the song better, gave it a cleaner feel.
Pretty good too, but none mindblowing.

Overall score: 6.0/10

I probably would rate it higher over time, but this is my first impression. Challenging album for someone who doesn't know about jazz, so nice pick, Oolaph.

Last.Fm Club

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Mar. 2nd, 2014 @ 10:34 PM Reply

At 3/2/14 07:24 PM, Slint wrote: That new trumpet (?) at 3:00 worked wonders, felt like a breath of fresh air.
Another really enjoyable piece of music.

Overall score: 6.0/10

I probably would rate it higher over time, but this is my first impression. Challenging album for someone who doesn't know about jazz, so nice pick, Oolaph.

It's actually a French horn, a pretty interesting choice for a quintet. I think it brings a nice sound to the band, not quite as piercing as a trumpet and gives a nice mellow tone while still getting in that higher register.

Glad you guys liked the album, jazz is my favourite genre by far so it's nice to know you guys won't make fun of me for listening to 'that boring grandpa music'.

Now, I threw the names of the handful of people that participated this week into a randomiser and @Gobblemeister won. All you have to do is pick an album tomorrow, or at least as soon as you can, so we all have time to get a hold of the record and listen to it before next weekend. And remember, ideally the album you pick should be from a different decade and genre than the previous week's.

@JaY11
@Slint
@Ryanson
@Makeshift
@Snuff
@Innermike

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club Mar. 3rd, 2014 @ 03:24 PM Reply

Woah I never win anything except Shadow Duels these days...

So I thought about what I wanted to 'share' and I decided on Maxwell's debut album Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite

Hopefully no one has already heard this; it's one of my favorites, so give it a shot!!!

Last.Fm Club

Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Last.Fm Club Mar. 3rd, 2014 @ 07:53 PM Reply

THANKS FOR @ MENTIONING ME YOU DICKS.

Srsly tho, I'm happy that what I set up over on the Cinema Club thread (which you should all check out!) is proving useful for you guys and that you decided to go through with this idea. I'm definitely down to participate so please add me to the @ mentions when new picks are announced.

I know next to none of the technical language of music and I've always been kind of terrible at analyzing music or articulating why I do or don't like certain things, but I guess this is a good opportunity to learn. I do love all kinds of music so it'll be cool to branch out and hear some good new shit.

At 2/15/14 11:57 PM, Ryanson wrote: You totes linked the wrong thing

Heh, funny you should say that because when I checked my PMs just now I realized you actually did try to tell me you guys were starting this, but you accidentally linked me back to the Cinema Club thread instead of here!

At 2/20/14 08:16 PM, Oolaph wrote: Alright, Ryanson and I threw together a quick list of records to get the ball rolling. Go ahead and pick one out of this batch, or if you hate all of them and have a better one in mind, feel free to suggest your own.

Ah dammit I totally would've voted for Vashti Bunyan, I fucking love that album. I don't know which of you two nominated that but if you haven't heard her more recent (well, 2005, but whatever) album Lookaftering it's definitely worth a listen. "Here Before" is up there with her best songs.

At 2/16/14 05:31 AM, Makeshift wrote: I'm gonna have to listen to some music I don't like aren't I? I'll do it I guess. It's a lot easier than keeping up with that movie of the week thing. I could barely find any of the movies so far.

This week's is super easy to find if you have three bucks (and pretty easy to find if you don't) and I linked right to it in the post! And it's only an hour long!

Also if you want to watch the week's film but you're having trouble finding it just send me or that week's picker a PM. Part of the rules are that the picker has to make sure the film is readily available in some form online, so it should never be too hard to find (I've managed to find everything so far so I can help you out if you want).

At 2/17/14 05:17 PM, Sekhem wrote: I've always meant to participate in Cinema Club, but I doubt I will feel like watching a movie and writing my thoughts on it very often. Music, however, isn't so tiring.

Yeah I get that. It'd definitely be cool if you dropped by every once in a while, though, I feel like you have a lot of breadth in terms of the kinds of shit you watch so it'd be interesting to see your thoughts and picks.

Okay sorry I'll stop talking about movies now I promise.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: O Lucky Man! (Anderson, 1973, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Mar. 3rd, 2014 @ 09:24 PM Reply

At 3/3/14 07:53 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: THANKS FOR @ MENTIONING ME YOU DICKS.

:(

Srsly tho, I'm happy that what I set up over on the Cinema Club thread (which you should all check out!) is proving useful for you guys and that you decided to go through with this idea. I'm definitely down to participate so please add me to the @ mentions when new picks are announced.

Thanks for giving us that extra little push. We had been talking about it for like a year but it never went anywhere because I was afraid it wouldn't work well, but your format is working out really well in the Cinema Club so hopefully it'll work well here too. I'll be sure to keep you in the @ lists in the future, I just went through the couple of people that posted on the last two pages here and didn't give much thought to it. Glad to know you're interested, the more the merrier!

I know next to none of the technical language of music and I've always been kind of terrible at analyzing music or articulating why I do or don't like certain things, but I guess this is a good opportunity to learn. I do love all kinds of music so it'll be cool to branch out and hear some good new shit.

That's totally fine. Just like the Movie of the Week, the whole point of this is to branch out and discuss what we thought about music that we wouldn't have seen otherwise, not to write a perfect school essay on it.

Ah dammit I totally would've voted for Vashti Bunyan, I fucking love that album. I don't know which of you two nominated that but if you haven't heard her more recent (well, 2005, but whatever) album Lookaftering it's definitely worth a listen. "Here Before" is up there with her best songs.

I put it on the list, and I'll probably choose it at some point down the road because I love that album too. One of my all-time favourites. Lookaftering is great too, I love the production on it and her voice is just as beautiful as it was on Diamond Days, which is absolutely incredible considering the huge time gap between the two records.

At 2/17/14 05:17 PM, Sekhem wrote: I've always meant to participate in Cinema Club, but I doubt I will feel like watching a movie and writing my thoughts on it very often. Music, however, isn't so tiring.
Yeah I get that. It'd definitely be cool if you dropped by every once in a while, though, I feel like you have a lot of breadth in terms of the kinds of shit you watch so it'd be interesting to see your thoughts and picks.

I seriously need to work on actually posting about the Movie of the Week in there, I keep watching the films late and forget to post about them.

As for Gobblemeister's album pick, after reading through the album's Wikipedia page it certainly sounds like an intriguing listen. I'll be sure to grab it and give it a listen or two tomorrow.

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Last.Fm Club Mar. 4th, 2014 @ 02:38 AM Reply

At 3/3/14 09:24 PM, Oolaph wrote: I put it on the list, and I'll probably choose it at some point down the road because I love that album too. One of my all-time favourites.

Yeah mine too. The album sounds like it was recorded via time travel in a gorgeous pastoral village 500 years ago.

If you haven't heard of her already, Sibylle Baier has a somewhat similar ethereal thing going on.

Lookaftering is great too, I love the production on it and her voice is just as beautiful as it was on Diamond Days, which is absolutely incredible considering the huge time gap between the two records.

Yes, exactly, it's amazing. And it lends credence to my theory that she's not really a human being and is actually some kind of mythical forest sprite or something.

I seriously need to work on actually posting about the Movie of the Week in there, I keep watching the films late and forget to post about them.

Well even if it's too late to get into the following week's pool, definitely don't hesitate to post your thoughts or respond to other people's. It's not like we can never discuss something again once its week is through, there's always more to talk about. I've missed two of the MotWs so far but when I get around to watching them I'll probably still post something and go back to other people's comments from those weeks and respond.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: O Lucky Man! (Anderson, 1973, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club Mar. 4th, 2014 @ 09:09 AM Reply

At 3/3/14 03:24 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
Hopefully no one has already heard this; it's one of my favorites, so give it a shot!!!

I've never heard of it but I've just gotten it ready on Spotify for me to listen to on the way home from Work where I'll actually pay attention.

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Mar. 6th, 2014 @ 12:13 AM Reply

At 3/4/14 02:38 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: If you haven't heard of her already, Sibylle Baier has a somewhat similar ethereal thing going on.

Awesome, downloading Colour Green right now. Thanks for the recommendation, man.

Yes, exactly, it's amazing. And it lends credence to my theory that she's not really a human being and is actually some kind of mythical forest sprite or something.

I'd believe it, her voice is like nothing else.

Well even if it's too late to get into the following week's pool, definitely don't hesitate to post your thoughts or respond to other people's. It's not like we can never discuss something again once its week is through, there's always more to talk about. I've missed two of the MotWs so far but when I get around to watching them I'll probably still post something and go back to other people's comments from those weeks and respond.

I know I should, but it never comes to mind since the current topic in the thread isn't on that film any more. I really so need to make more of an effort to actually post in there though.

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Mar. 7th, 2014 @ 07:25 PM Reply

Okay, I listened to Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite twice this week and it was really nice. The production was especially enjoyable. Everything is clear and even when the instrumentation would get more crowded, nothing ever melted together or got muddy. Everything was squeaky clean and neat. The vocal melodies were incredibly intimate, the steady and crooning delivery did a wonderful job of giving the songs a very smooth feeling, the whole record is like jelly gently flowing downward. The bass playing on ...Til the Cops Come Knockin' is really great, in fact the bass across the entire album is great. Holding that low-end and never letting go. Even on the quiet bits like Whenever Wherever Whatever, it's still present and providing the track with that deep foundation. Dealing with the higher end, the saxophone parts are nicely done as well. Spicing things up when needed and giving the tracks a very nice flavour, while not overstaying its welcome or taking over.

I'm honestly not as much of a seasoned RnB listener as I'd like to be, and I think this record may have given me that extra little push to actually go and seek out more. I really enjoyed this pick, Gobble. If you have any more recommendations in this vein, I would really love to hear them. Thanks a bunch, man.

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club Mar. 8th, 2014 @ 06:36 PM Reply

I'm glad you liked it Oolaph. My personal favorite tracks from the album are Sumthin Sumthin, Urban Theme, and Ascension (Don't Ever Wonder). Maxwell's albums always stand out to me as the pinnacle of Neo-Soul/RnB production. He might not be as strong vocally as some of his contemporaries but he more than makes up for it in the unique and extremely rich instrumentals that complement his own voice so well.

As for albums like Urban Hang Suite there's obviously the other works by Maxwell Embrya and Now

There's also D'angelo's two albums Brown Sugar and Voodoo both of which are phenomenal in their own right

I also think Robert Glasper's Black Radio and Black Radio 2 are great and are in very much the same vein of RnB/Neo-Soul though they are also a bit jazzier than the aforementioned.

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Mar. 8th, 2014 @ 07:19 PM Reply

At 3/8/14 06:36 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: I'm glad you liked it Oolaph. My personal favorite tracks from the album are Sumthin Sumthin, Urban Theme, and Ascension (Don't Ever Wonder). Maxwell's albums always stand out to me as the pinnacle of Neo-Soul/RnB production. He might not be as strong vocally as some of his contemporaries but he more than makes up for it in the unique and extremely rich instrumentals that complement his own voice so well.

Ascension is probably my favourite, the vocals on that one are fantastic. Though for the most part, the instrumentals were definitely what stood out for me when listening to this, the whole thing was wonderfully crafted production-wise.

As for albums like Urban Hang Suite there's obviously the other works by Maxwell Embrya and Now

There's also D'angelo's two albums Brown Sugar and Voodoo both of which are phenomenal in their own right

I also think Robert Glasper's Black Radio and Black Radio 2 are great and are in very much the same vein of RnB/Neo-Soul though they are also a bit jazzier than the aforementioned.

Thanks, I'll definitely check these out sometime soon. The rate of how often I've been seeking out new artists has really declined lately, and that bothers me. So I'm taking note of any artists that peak my interest and trying to give them all a shot.

Speaking of which, @Dr-Worm, I listened to Colour Green and it was really great. I especially loved the track William, really pleasant and relaxing. Thanks for the rec, I'll definitely be coming back to listen to this album every now and then.

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Last.Fm Club Mar. 9th, 2014 @ 05:24 PM Reply

So I listened to Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite a couple times this week and really enjoyed it even though I don't listen to much RnB. Maxwell doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel here, it's a pretty straightforward '90s update of '70s sounds, but it's all expertly and very neatly arranged. And Maxwell's singing voice isn't especially distinct or noteworthy, but he surrounds it with great instrumentation and tight production; I loved the incredibly smooth bass work throughout the album and the nicely varied use of other instruments and styles throughout (like that great funk guitar on "Welcome" or the disco-ish feel of "Sumthin' Sumthin'"). I think "...'Til the Cops Come Knockin'"probably best illustrates what I'm talking about here as a whole, and it's my favorite track on the album.

All in all, the album is just a finely-tuned, well-oiled baby-making music machine. Good stuff.

I don't know much about the whole neo-soul thing, but I do really like D'Angelo's Voodoo ("The Root" is such a great song). I think I actually prefer the looser vibe of that album to Maxwell's, which sometimes feels almost mannered to a fault. But it was still a great listen and I'm definitely interested in checking out more of this kind of music.

At 3/8/14 07:19 PM, Oolaph wrote: Speaking of which, @Dr-Worm, I listened to Colour Green and it was really great. I especially loved the track William, really pleasant and relaxing. Thanks for the rec, I'll definitely be coming back to listen to this album every now and then.

Awesome, I'm glad you liked it. I haven't listened to the whole album in a while but I love "Tonight" and "Give Me a Smile."

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 04:42 PM Reply

Out of the three people that participated in the thread this week, only one hasn't gone yet. So I don't think this was quite the hardest decision for ol' Randomizer. @Dr-Worm, you're up! You know the drill: different genre and decade (and country if you want to be super cool) than the previous pick, and have fun with it.

BBS Signature
JaY11
JaY11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 05:06 PM Reply

been a busy week for me but rest assured I will listen to Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite asap and hopefully i'll take part again in this weeks one too

sumidiotdude
sumidiotdude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to Last.Fm Club Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 07:29 PM Reply

in honor of my #rare posts here ya go

Last.Fm Club

PM me for info on bears Suhm-Id-Ee-Uht-Dood not Puh-Tur-Oh.
Last.fm

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Last.Fm Club Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 11:27 PM Reply

At 3/10/14 04:42 PM, Oolaph wrote: @Dr-Worm, you're up! You know the drill: different genre and decade (and country if you want to be super cool) than the previous pick, and have fun with it.

Whoa, awesome. I was struggling to pick between two things, but I guess in order to be super cool I'll pick the one that isn't American (it's British; the album I didn't pick, which I guess I'll save for another time, was Big Star's #1 Record). Plus, this album should make for a nice contrast with the swooning, idealistic romanticism of Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite, because it's one of the all-time great breakup albums:

Richard & Linda Thompson - Shoot Out the Lights (1982)

Shoot Out the Lights was the last and best album recorded by the British folk-rock musician Richard Thompson with his wife Linda; they were divorced by the time the album was released. Thompson has gone on to have a pretty excellent solo career (and he did some great stuff with Fairport Convention prior to Linda as well), but as far as I'm concerned nothing can top his work with Linda, especially on this album.

The album isn't quite literally about their marriage falling apart, as most of the songs had originally been written a couple years earlier, but that theme is pretty hard to deny regardless, not just because of the downcast relationship woes that make up much of the lyrical content but because of the tension and emotions that run through the music. Linda's voice and Richard's guitar are some of the best in rock music and they do not fuck around here.

Anyway, this is one of my favorites and hopefully it isn't one too many of you have heard before (if so I could always pick something else instead). Enjoy!

Last.Fm Club

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Last.Fm Club Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 11:33 PM Reply

Ah shit, I forgot to throw in some @ mentions so people see there's a new pick.

@Oolaph
@Gobblemeister
@JaY11
@Slint
@Ryanson
@Makeshift
@Snuff
@Innermike

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 11:58 PM Reply

At 3/10/14 11:27 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: Anyway, this is one of my favorites and hopefully it isn't one too many of you have heard before (if so I could always pick something else instead). Enjoy!

I've known of this album for ages, but I've never given it a proper listen before. So good pick, man. I'm looking forward to it.

BBS Signature