00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RobotHeadProductions just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!?

4,665 Views | 85 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 01:05:42

it seems that way. =(

Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!?

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 01:10:24

It's that way with alot of genres really. The Audio portal has a poor rating system really because so much is based of personal preference.

WUML Lowell 91.5 FM - Real Underground Radio

BBS Signature

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 01:10:55

Well, no. It's very active and not underrated. It's just that 80% of the people that upload it LIKE 2 TIPE LIK DIZ and it tends to push me away from that section of the portal.

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 01:21:07

well i say itz not like how da person types ..its how hiz muzik sounds dat matter. o.O

-RMP

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 01:38:56

At 10/18/07 01:21 AM, TheEyeOfMusiK wrote: well I say that it's not how the person types ..it's how their music sounds that matters. o.O

-RMP

Fixed XD

What PixlCrusher said, poor spelling gives the impression that you're a noob, and you're not making an effort... Posting adverts for your music (I know DS555 has pinged ya for that) and picture spamming (like that eye thing you post for each comment) is not a way to get positive notice around here... so just be yourself, don't act like a noob and read the rules (that's an important one) and I'm pretty sure mods hate it when people say "well I didn't know, I'm new here".
Got that?

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 01:44:34

lol i dunt wanna positive notice here.. i just wanna get to da point. so lets stay on topic. =)

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 01:48:52

besides.. ur not making any sense.. just because of how u type doesnt determine how good you are in music.

nvr judge a book by itz cover. =\

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 02:20:04

I have to agree with PixlCrushr and WritersBlock... Poor writing gives the impression of low intelligence... I do listen to their music though and a lot of it is very well made, but please for our eyes sake type correctly...

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 02:25:03

At 10/18/07 01:48 AM, TheEyeOfMusiK wrote: nvr judge a book by itz cover. =\

Ok, that pic's getting annoying... and you totally killed that proverb.
If you didn't come here for people to respond to your music, then why the hell are you here?
Also, think about it. If you come here and see a thread labelled "LOL OMG CHEk DIS TRAK BY ME TIS TEH FO SHIZZ" and another thread is labelled "Audio advertisments" you've got a pretty good idea which one you'd prefer. Act like a proffesional musician and you'll be treated like one, act like an idiot and no-one cares if you make music better than paragonX9, people will still think you're an idiot. Now, you say, never judge a book by it's cover (atleast I think that's what you wrote), but if you don't care about the presentation about the book in the first place, people will think that you don't care what they think so they don't want to spend time reading the book (or listening to the audio) if they think that they'll get a response like "STFU noob mah muzik iz fantazdik".

Ok, in answering your initial question: I think that hip hop is underrated because the people who make hip hop think it's cool to rebel against the system and tipe lyke a twoe yeer oolds lawl. I'm pretty sure it's an attitude thing. I'll also say that the other styles of music are much more compatable with flash movies and are more likely to be heard for that reason. But, it's not just hip hop that is underrated on NG, as mentioned before, all genres tend to be fairly underrated because people that post music more often than not don't check out other people's music and then they get upset when they don't get any reviews. And if you post in the audio advertisments, the chances that you won't get a response is diminished for the same reason: people post their links there, expecting half a dozen reviews, but they don't write any themselves. This thing works two ways people.

Anyways, people come here for the chance for their music to be heard by more people, I know that's what I had in mind when I came here. And then when nothing happens, threads like this start up, why do people hate my genre, personal preferences. Why do people vote 0 on my songs? Why don't we change this or that, why don't you listen to my music.
Why don't people stop complaining and get on with making their music. Who cares? Really... think about it.

There are so many musicians here, if every one of them started 20 threads a day whoring their music or complaining about their low scores, there'd only be a handful of musicians left, everyone else'd be banned.

Double posting isn't a great idea for getting on the good side of mods either.

BBS Signature

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 03:22:45

in my opinion, anything that's not VG music or techno is underrated on the AP.

BBS Signature

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 03:45:05

Wow, way to flame the dude. Just because he types funny. He makes pretty damn good music. I'd be the last person on earth to stand up for a hip hop artist, but it just goes to show that intelligent "typing" doesn't always denote "intelligence". (There is an underlying lesson/theme there too)

Hip Hop is pretty under appreciated. Not just here. I almost feel like ALL the genres are getting "old" "used up" . Even some really ground breaking music here, still goes unappreciated. (Of almost any genre). Its like all music is stuck in a transition, ...not moving in any direction. And listeners seem to be full of music, of any genre they want to hear. This could be due to, being able to pretty much download anything you ever wanted to hear. In my eyes, its like a starving family, that were granted a new life, in a world made from food. Pretty soon...it doesn't mean what it used to.

I doubt that is the real reason, but just my "take" on things. Minus all the 0 targeting, and genre haters on Newgrounds, but it certainly doesn't help. haha.

Anyways...just two cents.

BBS Signature

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 03:59:20

At 10/18/07 01:10 AM, InsaneSmilie wrote: It's that way with alot of genres really. The Audio portal has a poor rating system really because so much is based of personal preference.

Really? It seems to me that it's based on public preference.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 04:33:52

I think that the hip - hop genre is under appreciated because the major population of newgrounds is not the kind that generaly listens to or enjoys the genre. Also I think the reason that the hip hop music on newgrounds seems to be low quality is due to the fact that there aren't many hip hop artists that submit to newgrounds in the first place - when compared to other genres (I.e Techno, Trance, Dance, VG, Heavy metal, Indie, Ambient.. to name a few). Public prefrence determines how popular something is in real life - and this is still true on newgrounds, the only diffrence being that there is a low percentage that actualy cares for the music. It might be great, but if there is no one there to appreciate it, it will go unnoticed. [/cry]

side note, as long as I can understand what a person is typing... it doesn't matter what it looks like.

You will lol, and you will like it.

BBS Signature

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 05:54:16

At 10/18/07 03:45 AM, Bad-Man-Incorporated wrote: He makes pretty damn good music.

From what I listened to from his userpage, I can't disagree. So, what I'm trying to say is that newgrounds as a whole has a narrow perspective on things. The general perspective is that if people don't appear to attempt to type like normal, they don't put effort into anything, just spam etc. So, what I'm saying is that people might overlook your music because you advertise it with poor grammer and spelling. Now, hip-hop is a genre which encourages that type of language more than the other genres, so by following that stereotype of lingo, your music is expected to be the regular radio hip-hop, which most people in other genres despise. Whereas if people notice that you're making an effort to type like most other NG user, they may be interested in what music you have to offer.

If you put as much effort into how you present yourself here on the forums, then more people would appreciate your work.
Hip hop is underrated because people are afraid the hip hop is gonna be about all the stereotypical stuff, all dat shizz, where the lyrics are just complaints about how everyone judges me but I'm better that that, over a simple drum loop. I know that's not really what hipi hop's about, but that's what people would think by the way some hip hop artists talk etc...

I just don't listen to hip hop because of the stereotypes, I know I should be open about it, but I, like other musicians in the electronic genre, are probably too set in the way music should be, that hip hop is too great a contrast for someone like myself to appreciate, and if I were to check out the hip hop section I'd probably give a lower score than it deserves because I have an idea of what music should be and hip hop artists have an idea of what music should be. Neither is wrong, but they both can't co-exist in harmony.
That's why electronic and hip hop artists don't really review/listen to eachother's stuff, it's just that the population of hip hop is much smaller than electronic.

I don't mean to sound anti- hip hop, you're stuff did impress me. It's just that these are the way these things are and they're not subject to change unless the hip hop population increases considerably...

BBS Signature

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 08:47:24

you guys are forgetting the hostility within the hip hop genre itself.

The Hip Hop genre is by far, the most 0 bombed genre in all the AP. Even techno, which is the most submitted to genre, does not get as severely 0 voted. Hip Hop artists who feel "tuff" and "unbreakable" go about making tracks "DIS IF FOR ALL DEH HATERS!" as if to spit in their faces. This in turn generates more internal hatred, more two faced voters/reviewers, rinse and repeat until potential artists don't even go near there.

I for one do make Hip Hop beats every once in a while, but i'm not going to even go near the genre, i'm happy not having to deal with all that alliance/clan like stuff.

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 08:49:43

I've visited your page, and listened to a few tracks. They're technically good, neat and all that... but it just doesn't appeal to me. It's like me trying to let you hear my tracks (which are mostly pop or rock and, I bet, underrated also), and I'm not sure if you'll jive with it.

As personally observed, NG is a techno/electronica playground. It's rare to find tracks with lyrics here (so rare, in fact, that when I stumble upon a good one, it's immediately fav'd).

For now, it's either you wait for the hiphop community to grow, or you fuse elements from the mainstream NG music, much like the rock-hiphop fusion from the past decade.

Good luck to you!

BBS Signature

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 10:38:35

* snnnrrrrrrrrrrr whhhhhhheeewwww
* snnnrrrrrrrrghh whhhheeewwww
*snsnngSHttsgstg *gasp *cough *cough

huh? Where am I? I started looking through the forums and suddenly went all narcoleptic...

Oh - it must be because there's yet another "hip-hop is music too!" topic

Only playing ;)

Is hip-hop under-rated? No, I don't think so. I think that there just aren't as many decent hip-hop artists running around here coupled with the majorities preference of other styles.

Under-rated would imply that something deserves more positive attention then it gets - like it's not getting it's dues - (this, I feel is also a subtle way to reinforce the socio-economic ideas that "the man" has been keeping a brother down) Hip-hop gets about as much attention as it rates in this setting.

Imagine a site where most of the users produce hip-hop, rap or other "urban" styles - now pretend that there is a small group - dare I say a minority - that produces folk and bluegrass. These styles simply won't get a lot of attention in that setting. Does this mean that folk is under-rated? Not necessarily - it just means that the folk artists haven't targeted the right setting for their chosen form of artistic expression - they might do better to go find a folk related site where they can share their ideas with other folksy types...

It probably sounds like I'm saying to go find another site to play on - that's not my point. Everyone is welcome in here regardless of your tastes or styles - rest assured that there are some people here that are able to appreciate new or different ideas but like it or not, the majority of the NG users seem to gravitate towards techno, trance, DnB - things like that (electronica-fanboys). I guess it just happened that way.

Everyone has made a few decent points and I agree that the biggest turn-off is the attitude that usually comes along with a lot of self proclaimed hip-hop "producers". Not that all hip-hop artists are assholes - not even close. There are several that have passed through here that were actually pretty cool. I guess it's that "a few bad apples" thing.

There - now I've put the rest of you to sleep as well!

- :D

Just do your thing - if others like it then that's great - if not then to hell with them.

BBS Signature

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 11:14:08

Hip hop is not underrated, neither in newgrounds or in the real world. Is it more mainstream out on the radio? Yeah, obviously, but that's why a large majority of it is garbage (in my opinion). Only a handful of tracks manage to stand out.

I myself produce primarily hip-hop here. Sure, it's got an underground feel to it. Am I the greatest? Far from it. Do I sample a lot from vinyl? Yeah, but that's how the entire genre really started. Do I submit here just to see how I can morph my productions into something both well-received AND achieving my musical aspirations? Well, isn't that the point of making music in the first place?

I don't really believe that ALL people don't really base their opinion on your hip hop tracks because they think "Oh man, hip hop garbage, i vote 0". A lot of it has to do with your production skill. If you're still using FL Studio presets to make your next slamming track, of course it's gonna be not well received. (Soulja Boy being the exception)

In my opinion, if you're making things with the goal of doing something groundbreaking for the genre while creating a unique sound you can identify yourself by, then I think you're on the right track.

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 13:43:09

perhaps a FAQ or something somewhere should encourage voters to vote not on personal preference but execution.

i may not like something, but i'm not gonna downvote on a well made song because of that.

BBS Signature

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 13:45:01

At 10/18/07 02:25 AM, WritersBlock wrote:
At 10/18/07 01:48 AM, TheEyeOfMusiK wrote: nvr judge a book by itz cover. =\
Ok, that pic's getting annoying... and you totally killed that proverb.

BTW TEOM, i can prolly convert that eye pic into a sig if you like.

heh another thing we have in common, both hip-hop artists, and both use an eye for their logo.

BBS Signature

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 14:54:37

No one wants to venture into the Hip - Hop section im guessing because of some commercial songs out there that they hear on the radio (they hear Crank That Soulja Boy and are like "wow that beat sucks i can make that with 1 insturment" or whatever). Thats just the first problem, along with everyone saying "HipHop sucks" and all this shit.

Next problem is this "Beef" shit. Everyone downvotes eachother then people are like "whatever, might as well downvote everyone since they downvoted me" which is just redicilous.

There are some really good artists in the Hip - Hop section but they dont submit too often. I usually listen to the newest tracks that come into the hip hop section even if there good or bad and give feedback to help them improve or whatever. we need to give the section a good name.

Check out my newest song HERE!

BBS Signature

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 15:22:53

People who put anything like "FUK U HATERZ" or anything with the word Zero voters then that fuels the flame thats already burning.

NEED BEATS??? I GOT EM ELSEWHERE

I sell beats here Matt Mattik

BBS Signature

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 15:31:43

At 10/18/07 02:54 PM, Greeksta-69 wrote: No one wants to venture into the Hip - Hop section im guessing because of some commercial songs out there that they hear on the radio (they hear Crank That Soulja Boy and are like "wow that beat sucks i can make that with 1 insturment" or whatever). Thats just the first problem, along with everyone saying "HipHop sucks" and all this shit......

I agree big time with this. We all want to make great music, both for our own artistic satisfaction/expression as well as for others. We all start out like garbage, too. It's probably the only universal constant: our first productions sound like crap.

Helping each other out in learning how to produce WELL is what is gonna progress this genre of music, not downplaying everyone else.

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 16:12:36

Ok fine (ill type da best i can) =O n yea rak ..plz change it to a sig for me!! =D
(ohh and i only type like diz cuz im lazy!!!=D and itz just nature.. it doesnt mean i write like diz though)

_-- But yeah, I must agree with Maestro for a bit there, most of the good tracks get bombed with 0's (keywords: Good Tracks).
I must also agree with Greeksta too, The modern Hip hop we hear in the public is setting a bad example for us. But all im saying is the modern Hip hop section seems underrated. People on NG mostly listen to Techno, Miscellaneous, Rock, and other genres. If you look at the "All-time Top Scoring" you would see what I mean. I see some songs with OVER 100 reviews from techno and other music genres. But believe me, I like all music. Believe it or not.. but I started off as a techno producer.

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 16:17:15

another problem is that no real subgeneras of hiphop are in the AP, just old and newschool. i usually submit to Misc because i dont feel my stuff is representitive of either old or new school hiphop.

BBS Signature

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 16:28:16

YEAH!!
they should have different styles of hiphop BECAUSE!!! hip hop isn't just modern and old school. they have.. "DIRTY SOUTH" beats.. "MEMPHIS" beats.. "EAST COAST" beats.. and "WEST COAST" beats.. and not everyone like all the categories of some hip hop music.

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 17:03:17

or my own style, now usually referred to "wicked shit" (the old name was horrorcore)

and i'll have that sig in a day or so, or later today if i get the time.

BBS Signature

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 17:23:45

At 10/18/07 04:17 PM, rakninja wrote: another problem is that no real subgeneras of hiphop are in the AP, just old and newschool. i usually submit to Misc because i dont feel my stuff is representitive of either old or new school hiphop.

hahahaha

Where's the IDM genre? Be happy you have 2 choices.

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 17:24:41

At 10/18/07 05:23 PM, PixlCrushr wrote: Where's the IDM genre? Be happy you have 2 choices.

Off topic but still, QFT!

BBS Signature

Response to Hiphop Underrated On Ng!?!? 2007-10-18 18:06:44

Idea:

Hip - Hop Section
Modern
Old School
Southern
East Coast
West Coast
Rap

Rap should be its own genre.