00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TimeGoblin just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Suggestions for Upcoming Game?

1,903 Views | 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-09-29 11:17:27

Hi, I've been working on a game for around a week, it's a mouse avoider. Before you say anything, if mouse avoiders are done right, they are awesome. I'm planning on having around 100 levels, passwords to jump to checkmarks (every ten levels), I already did the anti cheating stuff, I'm at 8 levels completed.

I really want some opinions on the graphics of the levels. Also I'd like some suggestions on what to put on the screens before each level, it looks a bit plain.

If you find anything that you don't like, tell me, I'll look into fixing it.

Suggestions? Criticism? Comments? Thanks, KDF.

Try to press Tab or try right clicking, you'll see what I mean by anti cheating.
Also, it runs at 60 fps, but because of the lack of preloader and how much filters there are, it lags a bit.

Check out my newest News Post!

Anyone need an artist or coder for a game? Drop me a PM!

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-09-29 11:18:31

And here's the link to view the game:
http://www.ngup.net/view.php?file=7882_a rthur%20levels

XD

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-09-29 11:28:38

look cool. dont normaly like mouse avoiders but that looks nice. i like the effect on the little face. tho how does it work when the mouse does out or when the face goes out?

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-09-29 12:08:47

Honestly the game looks great. I love the graphics and the smoothness of the guy.

I would suggest having a story to it though, might make it better. Like breaking in somewhere and not touching the lasers or something... Up to you.

A good energenic title page with a fast song would do good too.

But alltogether I already like what has been made :)

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-09-29 12:23:40

Thank you so much for the comments, I do have a story, it's in the menu. Here's the menu preview:
When you press play or something just right click and press "Play."

http://www.ngup.net/view.php?file=4352_s word%20m%20enu

Yet again it's a bit laggy, it's normally very smooth but there are a load of filters.
I will try to make it so the movie clip has to hit the end.

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-09-29 12:34:17

Add some interactivity, doors, switches, etc, I hate just navigating a maze. I made a mouse avoider once and it faired alright, you can check it for ideas if you want.

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-09-29 12:40:55

I'm going to add the gadgets and stuff later on when I'm done with the levels, it'll take longer if I did every single level as it'll be seen in the game.

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-09-29 12:46:25

Cool, and I like the fact that firstly there's no way to cheat, and secondly, it's really well using in the art. I didn't try right click + play with the cheat, but at least you can't right click and just move your mouse to whatever side and click on the exit. That's good. You should maybe make it a little hard, because I won and I didn't really die at all (winning being finished all the finished levels). You should maybe make some more like obstacles in the sense where you have moving bars, or something like that. I think that would be a worth while addition. Otherwise, I really like what you've done. I'm personally wondering, what is it, a monkey? Oh, and maybe a storyline would be nice.

MY E-PENIS IS BIGGER THAN YOURS

8=================================>

...and this is my fag...

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-09-29 13:20:52

At 9/29/07 12:46 PM, El-Presidente wrote: some stuff about the game.

I'm going to add the bars and spinning things and other obstacles. Like I said before I'm going to finish all 100 levels before I add those things.

Check the instrucions in the menu swf for the story line, the cursor is Lil' Arthur, a descendant of King Arthur. Read the instructions.

Also, being that there's only 8/100 levels done, it'll be a while til it's finished. I'm hoping for a early to mid November release.

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-09-29 13:24:14

it was gd i liked the fact you couldnt cheat on it via right-click, you just have 2 make more object in the way of the head e.g closin and openin doors and objects chasin you.

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-09-29 13:27:22

Awesome game..it beats my game anyway but i spent only 1-2 weeks on it :/ so still good job!

note the game is spuzz maze 4

Fate. Strength. Intelligence.

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-12-19 16:40:29

At 9/29/07 01:20 PM, KyleDaFox wrote: Also, being that there's only 8/100 levels done, it'll be a while til it's finished. I'm hoping for a early to mid November release.

Lol, screw that.

I have an update after putting it off for 3 months, I only did 3 or 4 more lvls, I only started workin' on it again last night.
http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/3107/599 18_arthur_levels.php

I added the doors and keys and stuff and only one lvl's obstacles. I didn't want to lose my original idea for the level when I got done with the 100 lvls, so I just added the obstacles in that one.

Comments on the new lvls? Game so far?

I didn't want to start a new thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-12-19 16:47:21

Atleast add a decent crosshair. The mouse is so boring my eye is attracted to the man, however it's the mouse that hits the walls, not the man.

They used to call me souled...

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-12-19 16:50:47

I cheated :)

If you hold the mouse down (click and drag), you can get to the end of the level by cheating.

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-12-19 18:49:35

At 12/19/07 04:47 PM, souled wrote: Atleast add a decent crosshair. The mouse is so boring my eye is attracted to the man, however it's the mouse that hits the walls, not the man.

If it were the man, it'd be kinda hard, the walls coudn't be close at all, and it'd take a while, if you go fast and turn a corner, the guy would hit a wall if you didn't

Any comments on anything but the guy?

At 12/19/07 04:50 PM, ShirkDeio wrote: I cheated :)

If you hold the mouse down (click and drag), you can get to the end of the level by cheating.

I didn't code the whole anti-cheating yet, I'd rather go for the game before the extra stuff. Did you like the graphics and stuff? I need suggestions on other things than ways to cheat.

I'm going to try to eliminate as many cheating ways as possible, but if people persist to cheat, it's their fault when they lose the point of the game.

Any suggestions on anything else?

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-12-19 19:30:00

It was allright. Though when I finished the game without cheating, the game called me a silly cheater for no reason :P.

As for the graphics, white borders on a grey background, not really a huge innovation :P. The simplicity works, but it doesnt stand out, in other words it's nothing special.

One thing that bothered me, and it was a problem with many of mouse avoider games, is that the 'mouse' is this huge object but only one point on it actually reacts to the walls. Make the character smaller or hit test the whole character. What is that thing btw? It's either a hedgehog or a hairy penis.

The levels, well, you need to rethink some of them. Especially the ones with the keys. Getting the key is easy as hell, it's like only 2cm away from the path. So what is the real point in having a key that you must get to get rid of the "terrible color" blocking you when getting it so easily?

I can't stress this enough, add lot of moving objects. You had some in few levels, but the game needs more. Moving objects are what makes the game seem alive. Having just a path to follow is ok for maybe 3 first levels, then you need to start introducing moving objects, that are trickier and better each level.

Good luck with the game. 100 levels is quite ambitious. I think 30 or so would be quite enough if you just make them well.

You can solve pretty much any problem you may have with AS3 by consulting the AS3 Language reference.

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-12-19 21:57:53

Ugh, people should read my posts...

At 12/19/07 07:30 PM, ProfessorFlash wrote: It was allright. Though when I finished the game without cheating, the game called me a silly cheater for no reason :P.

I put _root.nextFrame(); on the end and there's no next frame yet, it goes to the first frame which is Silly Cheater. Btw, it's not done yet and this isn't the final product.

One thing that bothered me, and it was a problem with many of mouse avoider games, is that the 'mouse' is this huge object but only one point on it actually reacts to the walls. Make the character smaller or hit test the whole character. What is that thing btw? It's either a hedgehog

It's a person, there's hair, eyes and a small lil nose. If I hitTested the whole character, I would need a certain vast space between the walls, where with the normal mouse, I can have as little space as I want. It's more challenging if you ask me.

or a hairy penis.

Tainted mind, eh?

The levels, well, you need to rethink some of them. Especially the ones with the keys. Getting the key is easy as hell, it's like only 2cm away from the path.

It's the beggining of 100 lvls, it'll get harder. I can't start out almost impossible, I have to work my way harder.

So what is the real point in having a key that you must get to get rid of the "terrible color" blocking you when getting it so easily?

It'll get harder, the beginning of 100 lvls should be easy.

I can't stress this enough, add lot of moving objects. You had some in few levels, but the game needs more. Moving objects are what makes the game seem alive. Having just a path to follow is ok for maybe 3 first levels, then you need to start introducing moving objects, that are trickier and better each level.

I said it above around, 3 times? I'm going to finish all of the levels first, and then add the objects so each level won't take a half hour each.

Good luck with the game.

Thanks=D

100 levels is quite ambitious.

Yeah, well, if I'm gonna do it at all, why not make it my first large game? I might cut it down if I get bored, 75 least, though.

I think 30 or so would be quite enough if you just make them well.

Most good mouse avoiders that I see are 30 or so levels, why not go big? I just don't want people saying, "Too easy, I beat it in 10 minutes," "Way too short, make it longer," and such.

I really appreciate your input. I see you really thought about it and I thank you.
Thanks again for the suggestions and stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-12-19 23:13:38

Hey good game,
the graphics were good a and the game play was above par
however like the guy before me said the little character is a little disconcerting; primarily becauase you dont kno when ull get pinged for hitting a wall-although i see ur problem with hittesting him as a whole

also be carefull when u start ur game out too easy, although it is 100 levels i think some of those levels should be more challenging. people will generally leave your game in the first couple of levels if they feel its too easy or to boring, youve really got to make the first few levels stand out because they are representing the whole 100 or so.

however apart from that it was a good game and hope you can get those 100 levels dun soon.

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-12-20 02:17:01

At 9/29/07 12:23 PM, KyleDaFox wrote: http://www.ngup.net/view.php?file=4352_s word%20m%20enu

i couldn't get into the game. it gave a mysql error.

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-12-20 02:25:44

At 12/20/07 02:17 AM, partythenwork wrote:
At 9/29/07 12:23 PM, KyleDaFox wrote: http://www.ngup.net/view.php?file=4352_s word%20m%20enu

That's NGup for you.

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-12-20 07:13:56

The link was made in September, the links don't last for 3 months.
If you wanna see the menu so far, http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/3207/255 90_sword_m_enu.php

Thanks for your input, MattPrior, I appreciate it.

I just thought, if I tried to hitTest the guy to the movie clip of the maze, every thing inside of the movie clip (even inside the maze where u are supposed to be) would be hitTested. Everything inside of the blue box of the movie clip would count as a hit. It would take too much time and effort to figure something out like hitTesting the guy when I can just make it the mouse.

Also, I understand what you are saying about the levels in the beggining shouldn't be to easy. When I get around to putting obstacles in, I'll remember that and put some in earlier than I would've. Thank ou for that suggestion, I'll remember it.

Over winter break (after this Friday) I should be able to work on it more than I have. I doubt I'll finish it this month or next, but It'll be done somewhere in '08. (I'm giving myself enough time to account for my undeniable slacking off.)

Thanks again everyone so far.

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-12-20 07:39:16

At 12/20/07 07:13 AM, KyleDaFox wrote:
The link was made in September, the links don't last for 3 months.

So after a file has been on ngUP for more than 3 months the links gets mySQL errors?

Lol, ngUP sucks.

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-12-24 10:10:54

UPDATE
8 more levels! I'm up to level 20! I add some of the obstacles to the newer levels. The last level (With letters, spell out Arthur) is an original idea so I'm proud of that idea. Do you like the obstacles that I put in? Any suggestions for upcoming levels or obstacles? This idea faucet or mine is barely dripping.

20 levels so far

Please suggest some stuff, draw it out or something and show me, if you have a level idea (700x300) show me and if I use it you'll be credited it. (Do it on MS paint for all I care).

100 levels will be hell but I'm up to the challenge. I think.

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-12-24 10:39:30

Hey, there's another glitch. If you move your mouse fast enough, since it doesn't hit the wall, it doesn't detect it and you can just skip over the level. Also, on certain levels if you hit the walls it will just skip to the next. So i'd make it so if the walls hitTest the monkey's _x and _y rather than _xmouse and _ymouse because you can cheat like that, but it's harder to avoid the monkey.

MY E-PENIS IS BIGGER THAN YOURS

8=================================>

...and this is my fag...

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2007-12-24 11:28:14

At 12/24/07 10:39 AM, El-Presidente wrote: Hey, there's another glitch. If you move your mouse fast enough, since it doesn't hit the wall, it doesn't detect it and you can just skip over the level. Also, on certain levels if you hit the walls it will just skip to the next. So i'd make it so if the walls hitTest the monkey's _x and _y rather than _xmouse and _ymouse because you can cheat like that, but it's harder to avoid the monkey.

Ok, thanks for the report.

btw, its a person, it's kinda hard to tell though.

I will try to take out as many cheating ways as I can, but it's the players game experience that they are ruining by cheating. I'll see what I can do about that cheat.

Any more suggestions?

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2008-03-11 08:27:23

At 12/24/07 11:28 AM, KyleDaFox wrote: Any more suggestions?

As JohnFN said a while back to me, to eliminate ALL cheating, what you need to do is keep a record of the last frame's detected mouse position and interpolate betweeen that and the present position.

I found about 5 interpolations enough to eliminate all cheating though because your game's different to mine, you could even go to 6-8 if you want.

The geme's cool. I really like the trail of faces. I assume it's multiple MCs, each homing in on the next?

I agree that you need to either ditch the trail, make it follow the mousemoreclosely or make the 100%opacity face be what is hittested (changing levels to make gaps larger etc. to acommodate it).

Just now, specially on the level with the tiny thin gap, it seems like its just blocking our vision and is an unrelated element, confusing the signals.

Also, I totally agree that you need to add in more elements earlier on. You can keep it easy, but add in something different than just another static wiggly line.

Oh and the level with 2 exits and only one subsequent level? Something about that irks me - like you're pretending there's more going on than there is.

Hey - it's better than a lot of these.

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2008-04-16 22:15:02

I'm a lazy bastard X/
I haven't worked on this in months, so I'm only on level 32. Please suggest more level designs, draw em in paint or something. (Please no penis levels, I'll probably do that and some other immature levels if someone beats the original levels). Some levels may not be fully functional yet, and I still haven't added obstacles to many of the levels. That'll be at the end.

I'm thinking of cutting it down to 50 levels (Way more than any other mouse avoider I've seen). I'll add in your suggestions when I'm done, I'll fix it up and eliminate all possible cheating.

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/160408/7 9791_arthur_levels.php

*Please read the post before clicking the link*
Also the links above are dead.
Suggestions?
Bedtime.
Adios.
KDF.

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2008-04-16 22:57:13

I don't know why this game is taking you so long. You have the base engine and if u make say 1 level every 15 min u shud have 100 or 50 or w/e in no time.

Also the game is becoming very tedious at times, with no real interesting elements that set it apart from other mouse avoiders.

The graphix are nice but the little man following is a useless touch. It's simple and clean but that's about it.

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2008-04-17 06:52:18

It's not that I don't want to do it, I just have absolutely no more ideas for levels. It takes awhile, I do one, think, do another one after I think of one (a long time after the first level).

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestions for Upcoming Game? 2008-04-17 07:24:59

At 4/17/08 06:52 AM, KyleDaFox wrote: It's not that I don't want to do it, I just have absolutely no more ideas for levels. It takes awhile, I do one, think, do another one after I think of one (a long time after the first level).

How about a "random level" generator. Okay it's a lot of effort, but if it works well it would be really good! This may help...

They used to call me souled...