00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Online Game

1,112 Views | 22 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Online Game 2007-09-28 13:06:53

Dear Newgrounds People and Scripters,
My friend and I are trying to create an online RPG (MMORPG)
and I'm haveing issuse with the following :
1. I need to know how to make a chat box(action Scripted)
2. I need to know how to make it online(PHP or JAVA)
3. I need to know if anyone want to make this a collab(flash)
4. I need to know if anyone want to create monsters(MEDIVAL)
and/or Quests and overall game Ideas (Suggetions)
5. I really would appreaciate it if anyone could help.(PLEASE)
6. I'm basing it on Runescape But much different.(Don't Laugh)

Thanks for anything if possible.

BBS Signature

Response to Online Game 2007-09-28 13:10:57

So, you're asking advice on about any aspect of the game?
Try again.

"My software never has bugs. It just develops random features. " - Unknown

[ FluxBB developer | Quickmarks 0.5.1 | Strings & Ints - my blog ]

BBS Signature

Response to Online Game 2007-09-28 13:23:24

At 9/28/07 01:06 PM, Casio-the-strong wrote: Dear Newgrounds People and Scripters,

Do you have any experience in creating even a single player RPG? If not, you're way over your head. Start small not big. Big dreams are good, but you must work your way up. I am sorry, but if you don't have any other experience at all, I will not support this project.

Response to Online Game 2007-09-28 13:30:43

Also to add,

Since you don't know how to "make it online" you won't finish this project. These projects take a lot of work. First the Game Engine needs to be done. Whichc an take up to a year or two. Then the actual game, which can take up to 3-4 years. These games are very hard & take a lot of work, even with a small team it's very hard to accomplish. Please start out small. Use C++ or C# to start out with & make small games, get a better understanding of game development & how much work it is. Even to make a clone of Tetris it's a lot of work & very time consuming. Also an MMO takes a whole lot of money. I wanted to make an MMO a couple years ago, but I have learned to start out small & then go large or life will be hard on you & you'll feel like a failure when your MMo project falls.

Response to Online Game 2007-09-28 15:57:48

Hahaha... book marked

=3

Response to Online Game 2007-09-28 16:42:41

Very simple: grab a book about C, later grab a book about C++, later grab a book about GUIs, later grab a book about graphics, later grab a book about graphical objects (games), later grab a book about sockets, and, finally, do something serious.

But you must be more than 12 years old to do that

Response to Online Game 2007-09-28 17:48:34

At 9/28/07 04:42 PM, thingie-348 wrote: Very simple: grab a book about C, later grab a book about C++, later grab a book about GUIs, later grab a book about graphics, later grab a book about graphical objects (games), later grab a book about sockets, and, finally, do something serious.

But you must be more than 12 years old to do that

Correct. It takes years of experince & lots of money to make one of these games, sorry to burst your bubble.

Response to Online Game 2007-09-28 22:09:57

At 9/28/07 04:42 PM, thingie-348 wrote: Very simple: grab a book about C

Why really bother? I doubt he's really going to need it. I mean, it's great to know it, but C++ is just more practical.

Response to Online Game 2007-09-28 22:17:36

At 9/28/07 10:09 PM, AcDiK-DR4G0N wrote:
Why really bother? I doubt he's really going to need it. I mean, it's great to know it, but C++ is just more practical.

C++ might be a bit to hard for beginners with programming. So if they learn C then they'll have some experince & go to C++.

Response to Online Game 2007-09-29 09:43:53

At 9/28/07 10:17 PM, LilMain wrote:
C++ might be a bit to hard for beginners with programming. So if they learn C then they'll have some experince & go to C++.

C is actually harder in a sense moron. C++ also has classes, which are amazing for programming games.

Response to Online Game 2007-09-29 10:15:36

At 9/29/07 09:43 AM, AcDiK-DR4G0N wrote:
At 9/28/07 10:17 PM, LilMain wrote:
C is actually harder in a sense moron. C++ also has classes, which are amazing for programming games.

Actually, I think it the other way round. Most people say "C++ has classes moron", and later they use cout and operator overloading witout knowing how actually works. Thats because the advanced part of C++ (the hole thing of kernelling and emulating) is FAR MORE DIFFICULT that the one on C. So, its far better to learn (and totally master) C and later learn C++, that to say "printf is obsolete. use cout moron" witout even knowing that cout is a class and not a function.

(totally unrelated comment) Oh, and I also don't like it because stringstreams are slow.

Response to Online Game 2007-09-29 10:31:45

I believe C is a lot easier than C++. It's recommended to learn C before C++ by a lot of commercial developers.

Response to Online Game 2007-09-29 14:33:08

Thanks for helping.......:'( ..... so I'm ghoing to do what the one guy said And I'm going to find the biggest book for C and C++, the i'll finsh .

Thanks

BBS Signature

Response to Online Game 2007-09-29 15:42:20

At 9/29/07 11:53 AM, DanBomer wrote: Are you kidding me or are you just stupied?
I can make a good game engine in a couple of hours. As for the online, with servers already up, it can take me just two weeks.

You are really overexagerating.

That just sounds too good to be true.
If so why havnt you done it then?
Why arnt you making a fortune and why dont you write a boook explaining your secrets to rapid development?

PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik

irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature

Response to Online Game 2007-09-29 15:52:48

How much does it pay?

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to Online Game 2007-09-29 16:11:17

At 9/29/07 02:33 PM, Casio-the-strong wrote: Thanks for helping.......:'( ..... so I'm ghoing to do what the one guy said And I'm going to find the biggest book for C and C++, the i'll finsh .

Thanks

If you don't know how to do any of this stuff you really need to start with something smaller

BBS Signature

Response to Online Game 2007-09-29 17:34:30

At 9/29/07 11:53 AM, DanBomer wrote: Are you kidding me or are you just stupied?
I can make a good game engine in a couple of hours. As for the online, with servers already up, it can take me just two weeks.

1) Have you ever made one?
2) If so, what kind of MMORPG?

"My software never has bugs. It just develops random features. " - Unknown

[ FluxBB developer | Quickmarks 0.5.1 | Strings & Ints - my blog ]

BBS Signature

Response to Online Game 2007-09-29 17:49:12

At 9/29/07 02:33 PM, Casio-the-strong wrote: Thanks for helping.......:'( ..... so I'm ghoing to do what the one guy said And I'm going to find the biggest book for C and C++, the i'll finsh .

Thanks

Oh boy, are you way over your head. You think getting a big book on some programming language will help you make an MMORPG with a chat system and a lot of other extra goodies. Reality check - HELL NO.

Even if you DID read the entire book and was suddenly a C++ genius, it takes work, dedication, money, and a DEVELOPMENT TEAM that are willing to work with you on this. You're obviously young and/or illiterate which means you probably also have a short attention span, MEANING you also probably lack the dedication to EVEN go ahead and make a program.

As for the guy claiming he can make a game engine in a few hours, you're a fucking idiot.

Response to Online Game 2007-09-29 17:49:38

At 9/29/07 11:53 AM, DanBomer wrote:
At 9/28/07 01:30 PM, LilMain wrote: These projects take a lot of work. First the Game Engine needs to be done. Whichc an take up to a year or two. Then the actual game, which can take up to 3-4 years.
Are you kidding me or are you just stupied?

An MMO engine? Ok, yes a good engine in a couple of hours. The MMO engines I know of take to a year. vbGORE took a year & it's still in development but is stable to use now.

I am not overexagerating.

Response to Online Game 2007-09-30 03:59:46

At 9/29/07 08:04 PM, DanBomer wrote:
At 9/29/07 05:34 PM, elbekko wrote: 1) Have you ever made one?
2) If so, what kind of MMORPG?
Ya, but totally in flash. I was a test with XML connects and all that stuff. I deleted the site, but i can probably find it if I search through my computer.

ah, well, a test doesn't quite count. I can slam together an xml socket test in an hour too, but that doesn't mean anything... Any game, let alone an online one is gonna take more than two weeks, unless you're just cranking out the most bare bones minigame possible. I've been developing an online game for the better part of a year now, you run into serious issues with lag, bandwidth, and syncronization.

BBS Signature

Response to Online Game 2007-09-30 04:15:14

At 9/28/07 01:06 PM, Casio-the-strong wrote: Dear Newgrounds People and Scripters,

Well, i haven't worked with flash much, so I'll only answer what I can.

Well, to make it online, you're going to need to code your own server. C++ would probably be the best language for this. I'd also suggest Java over C# if your looking for something simpler than C++. The only reason I say this is that C# will only run on Windows based servers currently. C++ will be the fastest language of the three. You'll also need to find a good socket library and probably learn about multi threading as well.

Flash forum

Unless I'm mistaken, Flash cannot do 3d. If you really want it to run in browser and be 3d, you'll either have to use shockwave or java.

I also have to agree with the other people on this board. If you haven't done any programming before, then it is going to take you years to get started. You will first have to master the basics of programming, then you will have to learn how to deal with gui's, graphics, threads, and sockets for api's. Of course, once you've mastered the language your going to use, you can pick up a (good) book on game programming or two instead of simply learning these topics piecemeal. You'll also need to learn about game specific techniques on top of that. Starting off with an MMO is going to fail. Start out smaller. You'll have plenty of time to implement that game, and it will be better when you do so.

The Internet is like a screwdriver. You can use it to take an engine apart and understand it, or you can see how far you can stick it in your ear until you hit resistance.

Response to Online Game 2007-09-30 06:40:01

At 9/29/07 05:32 PM, DanBomer wrote: win

That dosnt answer the question. When people here think of game engines they are thinking about something that is used by real game companies. Something like This and not something you can throw together in flash in a few hours.

What 'did' you think a game engine was?

PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik

irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature

Response to Online Game 2007-10-02 14:21:19

At 10/1/07 02:37 PM, NeillS wrote: in be4 lox agn

ah, right, cause I didn't delete your first post for a reason or anything

BBS Signature