00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Em0-Snail just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Trying a new style... any good?

2,293 Views | 35 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-18 10:18:15

Yeah as the title says I'm trying a new style, I used to just draw like plain lines around my drawings.

I'll post my old art and then my new art, please tell me if I have improved and which style is better.

Old style

Bonjour monjour.

What would you have done?

BBS Signature

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-18 10:20:09

That doesnt look like a style more like a baby scibble

BBS Signature

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-18 10:22:39

New style, more erm... "realisticy"

Bonjour monjour.

BBS Signature

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-18 10:23:44

Bravoo now you have yourself a 3year olds scribble

BBS Signature

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-18 10:23:44

At 7/18/07 10:20 AM, Nqkoi1 wrote: That doesnt look like a style more like a baby scibble

"Scribble", and please say constructive comments not just flaming :)

Bonjour monjour.

BBS Signature

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-18 10:24:46

At 7/18/07 10:23 AM, Nqkoi1 wrote: Bravoo now you have yourself a 3year olds scribble

I am new to the drawings stop being such a dick.

Bonjour monjour.

BBS Signature

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-18 10:28:37

First of all, I'm pretty sure that's an old picture. Second, the colors are off pretty badly. And as others have said, it looks like a scribble. So, I guess improve on it by not drawing that way.

My latest submission: An Irresponsible Wish - DeviantArt

BBS Signature

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-18 10:40:08

No offense but the styles both look pretty much the same to me. I don't think that's much in the way of improvement if any. Don't let that discourage you though, keep at it and try adding more shading and highlights to it so it's not so flat.

Sometimes things aren't better or worse...just different.

Guthren

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-18 11:09:36

At 7/18/07 10:40 AM, Guthren wrote: No offense but the styles both look pretty much the same to me. I don't think that's much in the way of improvement if any. Don't let that discourage you though, keep at it and try adding more shading and highlights to it so it's not so flat.

Thanks alot for a constructive critism, I'll try and use your advice, thanks mate.

Bonjour monjour.

BBS Signature

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-18 12:05:04

At 7/18/07 10:23 AM, ReeceB wrote:
At 7/18/07 10:20 AM, Nqkoi1 wrote: That doesnt look like a style more like a baby scibble
"Scribble", and please say constructive comments not just flaming :)

thats the funniest thing i've ever heard. sorry buddy, here, there is NO constructive critissism :)

WHERE'S THE DIX?

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-18 12:59:48

Let's be honest... its damned ugly!

BBS Signature

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-18 13:07:59

Its ok,but you need to work on it!

Love the Newgrounds, o yea

BBS Signature

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-18 13:16:19

Fetusdoctor, with a pic like that, you really have no room to tell people how to improve, although the basic anatomy lesson was correct for the most part.

My latest submission: An Irresponsible Wish - DeviantArt

BBS Signature

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-18 13:50:44

Both styles are pretty bad but the new one is a slight improvement.

I need Monet, to buy DeGas to make my Van Gogh. I tried to Hale a cab but my Whistler didn't Turner 'round.

BBS Signature

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-18 15:50:37

At 7/18/07 01:16 PM, BitmapPirate wrote: Fetusdoctor, with a pic like that, you really have no room to tell people how to improve, although the basic anatomy lesson was correct for the most part.

what was wrong with his pic? I've seen far worse on the telly, and ANYONE can give advice on how to improve, you don't have to be good to give advice, although that advice absolutely pwned, thx Fetusdoctor I just drew a head that actually looked like a head =D

to main thread starter guy, the first pic I wasn't so keen on, the second was far better but still kinda poorish... your people look like robots for some reason :s I would tell you why if I knew

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-19 08:31:12

At 7/18/07 11:53 AM, fetusdoctor wrote: Yes, the BBS is full of idiots who w....

Woah... thanks alot fetus that great advice I'll try and use that now and mooseisloose whatever your name is thanks for comment ill try make it less "roboty".

Bonjour monjour.

BBS Signature

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-19 08:56:04

At 7/18/07 11:53 AM, fetusdoctor wrote: Yes, the BBS is full of idiots who would rather make fun of you than help you improve your drawing. That's just the way it is. What I found works best is:

1) Admitting that your artwork is a giant pile of garbage, no matter how good YOU think it is.
2)Asking for CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM on how to IMPROVE your drawing (Use the caps-locked words, they seem to get the best responses).

As far as the styles go the only difference I see is that the first one uses smooth lines while the second one uses scratchy lines. Definitely stay with the smooth ones.

When drawing people, try to follow these guidelines:

1)Change your brush color to LIGHT COLORS, I use light gray.
2)Draw a circle.
2)Make a jaw about as half as tall as your circle.
3)Divide the head with a line from the top-middle to the bottom-middle.
4)Cut that line in half. The center of the eyes goes at this line. You can move them a little lower if you like, but moving them higher usually takes away the forehead space and gives it a very amateur look.
5)Go halfway between the line you just made and the bottom of the chin and draw another line. The bottom of your nose goes here. You can move your nose up or down a little if you want, but I usually keep it right on that line.
6)Go halfway between the line you just made and the bottom of the chin and draw yet another line. This is where the center of your mouth will go. Again, up or down to your liking, but not much.

Notes:
-Eyes are normally one "eye-length" apart. What this means is that you should have enough room between the two eyes to draw a third eye of the same size and proportions.
-The outside edges of the mouth extend to the inside edges of the eyes.

Also, once your "gray" drawing is done you should make a new layer and trace over your face with black. You can use scratchy lines all you want on the gray sketch, but make sure you smooth the lines out when you're tracing with black.

Here's a pic to help, and I hope this helped more than "U DR4W LIKE A 3 YEAR OLD LOLOLOLOL".

Sorry man, but this was funny :/

There are no guidelines in art which you should follow, theres rules sure, but those rules can be broken, I mean, VERY broken once you know them. Thats when the word "style" , for the first time , in your art should appear.. Til' then, just draw, don't THINK of style, its stupid and you just limit yourself..

When you know the basics ( which takes a lot of time, a lot of hard work and tons of dedication ) you can start to bend the rules, thats when style appears... Professional artist with an obvious "style" ( Like, lets say anime ( which of course can be sepearted in millions of styles aswell ) ) have practiced a lot ! and they have learnt "how to draw" before they implanted the style in their work..
Style is something that also 100% automaticlly comes to you, and you should not try to come to the style... If you like someones style, don't study the style , but study their artwork, what makes it good and so on !? What is it you like etc:..

Study old-masters ( with pencils, forget the wacom for some time until' you've build up a visual library big enough to get down at least a little of what it looks like in your head ) , study from real life ( this is the most important thing to do when you are building a visual library.. ) If you can, and if you are old enough go for life-drawing classes, etc. Draw from photos ( people tend to say thats bad.. but you can learn a lot! )

What you have done here, are scribbles, theres no need to ask for "constructive critique" on scribbles, cause its serves no point, as you haven't put any effort into the drawings, why would you put effort into changing them afterwards ? Nah, it doesn't make sense..

Seriously though.. Take a look at this http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthr ead.php?t=870

Check the last page aswell! or the latest once in case its only replies :/

That will hopefully be enough motivation for you to stop scribbling and wasting our time , and go for some serious practice and come back here showing that you are serious!

Good luck.

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-19 08:59:12

Put simply.. it's shocking.

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-19 09:03:23

At 7/19/07 08:56 AM, Dile wrote:
Style is something that also 100% automaticlly comes to you, and you should not try to come to the style... If you like someones style, don't study the style , but study their artwork, what makes it good and so on !? What is it you like etc:..

I'll Remember that thanks.

Study old-masters ( with pencils, forget the wacom for some time until' you've build up a visual library big enough to get down at least a little of what it looks like in your head ) , study from real life ( this is the most important thing to do when you are building a visual library.. ) If you can, and if you are old enough go for life-drawing classes, etc. Draw from photos ( people tend to say thats bad.. but you can learn a lot! )

I can't go to art classes I'm to busy pursuing MMA and whatever spare time I have I am doing weights and so on, but whenever I get bored or tired I come on here, so all I do is play computer and exercise in my spare time.

What you have done here, are scribbles, theres no need to ask for "constructive critique" on scribbles, cause its serves no point, as you haven't put any effort into the drawings, why would you put effort into changing them afterwards ? Nah, it doesn't make sense..

I did put effort in them you dick.

Seriously though.. Take a look at this http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthr ead.php?t=870

Check the last page aswell! or the latest once in case its only replies :/

That will hopefully be enough motivation for you to stop scribbling and wasting our time , and go for some serious practice and come back here showing that you are serious!

Woah they are good and I'm not wasting your time, you are wasting your time looking.

Good luck.

Thanks alot :D

Bonjour monjour.

BBS Signature

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-19 09:09:21

No you didn't.

And calling me a dick will only get you so far... And I understood I apparently wasted my time as I thought you had potential, but no you have attitude problems.And people don't like other people who has attitude problems.
---------

And yeah, its shocking, I checked your profile and expected you to be 12... Its more like... sad.

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-19 09:10:34

sorry for the double post... But calling your own scribbles "good" with confidence makes you a troll :S

Your an alien or something ? :/

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-19 09:25:11

According to your profile your 7, if that's true stop trying to be mature and go get a life.

Bonjour monjour.

BBS Signature

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-19 09:28:04

At 7/19/07 09:25 AM, ReeceB wrote: According to your profile your 7, if that's true stop trying to be mature and go get a life.

Well done. One of the few people to give you something constructive and you're pissing all over him. Really mature. Well done for killing your own thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-19 09:33:25

To be honest with you, it dosen't look that great, the pose is blocky, the idea is off, and it does look like a scribble. People have their different styles, has I have my own as well. I say keep praticing, pick up on Photshop maybe even get yourself a Tablet so you can work on your comp and not us MS Paint.

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-19 09:34:10

At 7/19/07 09:25 AM, ReeceB wrote: According to your profile your 7, if that's true stop trying to be mature and go get a life.

Yepp you are a troll :)

And nah, I had my birthday today so I'm 8 now. Suck on that :)

------------
You must have troubles :/ Its kinda sad as you say you are 16 and you really believe in that I'm 7 .

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-19 09:34:32

Constructive critism would be like It looks sorta scribbled try to do this.. or that.. not

"What you have done here, are scribbles...." " its serves no point" "you haven't put any effort into the drawings"

Now sorry I know these aren't the Mona Lisa, but I am new to drawing, there isn't much need for people going shit... shit... So sorry to the person who I called a dick, just not used to so much flaming.

Bonjour monjour.

BBS Signature

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-19 09:35:57

At 7/19/07 09:33 AM, Pow-Purshine wrote: To be honest with you, it dosen't look that great, the pose is blocky, the idea is off, and it does look like a scribble. People have their different styles, has I have my own as well. I say keep praticing, pick up on Photshop maybe even get yourself a Tablet so you can work on your comp and not us MS Paint.

Alright thanks I'll keep practicing. I'm not so good at humans I'll try draw something else.

Bonjour monjour.

BBS Signature

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-19 09:51:47

If thats flaming to you, then welcome to the internet.

No, those 5 minute scribbles serves no point, and that sentence sum it all up.

If you haven't spent mor then at least 40 minutes on something ( which you obviously haven't ) Then you haven't put any time in it = its a scribble.. You've used all kind of weird colors and by the rushed lines I can tell you have NOT put any effort into those. Whats your definition of effort , if you think you have ? :S

And as I said, I saw potential in you before, so I had wished that you just proved me wrong and come up with something better next time you post, but yeah , instead you call me dick, and wtf... What do you think I should tell you ? You think that people should keep being nice to you ?

Nah, I was thinking of ignoring you completely , I wanted you to know you had done something wrong. Which you have, but I accept your apologize. So no harm done.. And of course, this is the internet, so there was never no harm done.

Anyways.. I told you , the basics is everything and in your scribbles you have completely ignored the basics.

Seriously though, go to your book-shop, get a drawing book ,not "how to draw" books but books with definitions of the basics... Like the basics of Perspective drawing , or the basic anatomy etc.

Anything that will increase your knowledge and will expand your visual library.

And again.. .Draw from life. That doesn't cost anything, but in a week, you'll notice a huge difference IF you put effort into it.. Effort being taking your time, and really see what you are drawing and not only "think" that it might be this way, but really look!

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-19 09:53:32

The only real way to improve is to draw more often. On some forums I remember getting advice to try and fill at least two sketchpad sheets of drawings everyday. Also try to draw from real life. There are a lot of basic rules to be learnt such as the guidelines of a basic face, average height and length distribution on a body, shading and lighting, perspective etc. Once you have a grasp of that knowledge then you can mess about and create your own style. I'm not saying that you have to learn all this understanding but if you ask mindchamber, stamper, johnny utah, luis or any other good artist on newgrounds then they'll have learnt all these different things as well.

It's all about practice, and practice takes time.

wut

Response to Trying a new style... any good? 2007-07-19 10:03:44

At 7/19/07 09:35 AM, ReeceB wrote:
At 7/19/07 09:33 AM, Pow-Purshine wrote: To be honest with you, it dosen't look that great, the pose is blocky, the idea is off, and it does look like a scribble. People have their different styles, has I have my own as well. I say keep praticing, pick up on Photshop maybe even get yourself a Tablet so you can work on your comp and not us MS Paint.
Alright thanks I'll keep practicing. I'm not so good at humans I'll try draw something else.

XD!
Yeah, I'm Semi-good at drawing people (Realistic/Anime) But I got to have a really REALLY Nice Pen to do that sort of shit...I usually end up drawing Anthro Art, Yes, thats right, Furries...whateva >:3 The best way to draw people is to just get pictures and draw what you see (And GOD FORBID don't Trace) and its also a good idea to draw 'dummies' before drawing your actually picture :P