00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Care2mchBEAR just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Trying to quit smoking, any tips?

1,667 Views | 17 Replies

Trying to quit smoking, any tips? 2007-04-09 02:09:37

Im already using toothpicks to help cope with the psychological oral fixation, and caffeine to take the edge off. Unfortunately this leads to splinters in the mouth and diarrhea at the other end (thankfully not vice versa). Any other methods that worked for you?

Response to Trying to quit smoking, any tips? 2007-04-09 02:11:02

Watch the Foamy quit smoking flash.
If that annoying fucker doesn't make you quit, nothing will.

Response to Trying to quit smoking, any tips? 2007-04-09 02:13:00

How I did it, even though I don't think I was all that addicted, was to just gradually cut back little-by-little. For example, figure out how many cigs/cigars/whatever you smoke a day and try to cut it back by one every two days or so. Eventually, you'll be smoking so little, it'll be easy to quit.

Hope that works for you, it did for me and another bud of mine.

Bleh.

Response to Trying to quit smoking, any tips? 2007-04-09 02:13:19

just stopp

i mean i smoked a lot and i stopped and everytime i stopped i never had the need to smoke unless it was social.. or something

altho the last time i smoked was recently because i was under the influence and had to do something to drive away the extreme boredom

the flash on this account isn't mine

Response to Trying to quit smoking, any tips? 2007-04-09 02:13:49

There's always the put a tooth pick in your mouth when a craving hits.

BBS Signature

Response to Trying to quit smoking, any tips? 2007-04-09 02:14:59

At 4/9/07 02:11 AM, carbonwater wrote: Watch the Foamy quit smoking flash.
If that annoying fucker doesn't make you quit, nothing will.

Lol, i loved it. I removed cigs from my life, i just want to feel a bit more comfortable. the stores wont sell me nicotine gum as the age for tobacco and related products here in Nassau county NY is 19, yea, 19. NOT A TYPO.

Response to Trying to quit smoking, any tips? 2007-04-09 02:16:27

Theres a law here that you can't smoke in the zone of a workplace, we had to go out to the parking lot, so winter was a big part of me quitting.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Trying to quit smoking, any tips? 2007-04-09 02:17:56

just think of it as theres more people with worse addictions than u, then think about how nasty black lungs are, unless thats too anti smoking. i mean i know people who overcame hard drugs and it was glorious

the flash on this account isn't mine

Response to Trying to quit smoking, any tips? 2007-04-09 02:19:08

At 4/9/07 02:09 AM, jaguarstrike wrote: Im already using toothpicks to help cope with the psychological oral fixation, and caffeine to take the edge off. Unfortunately this leads to splinters in the mouth and diarrhea at the other end (thankfully not vice versa). Any other methods that worked for you?

Whenever you have an urge to smoke, find something to get your mind off it, like play a game, go for a walk. Quitting smoking isn't easy, but if you don't do it, you'll become as fragile as my grandfather.

Response to Trying to quit smoking, any tips? 2007-04-09 02:23:59

Hypnotism. It worked for my uncle and he hasn't smoked since. That was like, what, in 1993 or something?

The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Response to Trying to quit smoking, any tips? 2007-04-09 02:28:13

At 4/9/07 02:22 AM, Reed wrote: hmm how about quit being such a puss and fucking quit?

I REPEAT: I AM NOT IN POSSESION OF CIGARETTES, I AM NOT GOING TO SMOKE ANYMORE. I SIMPLY WANT TO EASE THE PAIN.

Response to Trying to quit smoking, any tips? 2007-04-09 02:31:08

At 4/9/07 02:28 AM, jaguarstrike wrote: I REPEAT: I AM NOT IN POSSESION OF CIGARETTES, I AM NOT GOING TO SMOKE ANYMORE. I SIMPLY WANT TO EASE THE PAIN.

Pain? Hmm rough it out pussay dayum

Response to Trying to quit smoking, any tips? 2007-04-09 02:32:37

I don't know, punch yourself in the stomach every time you crave a cigar?

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

BBS Signature

Response to Trying to quit smoking, any tips? 2007-04-09 02:50:43

At 4/9/07 02:13 AM, Candle-Jack wrote: There's always the put a tooth pick in your mouth when a craving hits.

and that's what he's doing did you read the actual thread or just the title?
but i mean if you just stop i mean it will be hard at first wih all the cravings and such but when it hits don't cover it up or else another craving will come back with more from the disappointment from the last crave. I think if you get a crave just try and eat your favorite food or ice cream that may help. Morgan Spurlock sayed that him quitting was like a 3 day hump the first 2 your still edgy but after the 3 rd hum you don't care no more.

hope it helps.

aquaticmole.

BBS Signature

Response to Trying to quit smoking, any tips? 2007-04-09 02:58:34

I used toothpicks as well...but I also got laser therapy, which helped amazingly. And I was high for like 4 days.

Your best bet is to continue with toothpicks. Or sunflower seeds. Or candy.

Replacing the nicotine with caffeine isn't good. They almost go hand in hand.

Also, try to figure out what your triggers are and break them. For example, I'd light up whenever I got into the car. I consciously broke that habit and I was all good.

And to be honest, even if you slip up, it's not the end. You never stop quitting. But it's really not that bad.

Good luck.

-J

Response to Trying to quit smoking, any tips? 2007-04-09 03:01:42

My advice would be, make a real consious effort and use a systematic process. Smoking is addictive on a psychological and chemical level, so, here's what you do.

For the psychological part (I'm not sure what your exact motivation is for quitting-- a good one is your health though). Google around and find some stories and or pictures of people who have or have died from lung cancer from smoking cigs (The Marbloro man and the CEO of Marbloro are a couple that come to mind). Really make it sink in how bad smoking is for your health and how much pain and suffering it could cause you down the road--- this can give you strong psychological incentives to kick the habit.

For the chemical part, do it, as somebody else suggested, on a gradual basis-- to be successful though, you'll want to use a real structured and specific system. #1. Figure out exactly how many cigarettes you smoke a day (it may change day to day, but just take some day- tomorrow, as your exact model to improve on).--- #2.Get a special journal or notebook to write this down in---- every day, write down exactly how many cigarettes you smoked, and then write down exactly how many you will smoke on the following day.--- You can map this whole shart out tomorrow (or today if you know how many cigs you smoked exactly)--- every 3 days drop a cigarette, do this every 3 days on the chart or calender until you aren't smoking any.
Now you have it mapped out. Write it in a journal or a calender, hang it on the wall or the fridge or the door (where you will see it regularly)-- and finally FOLLOW through, and DO NOT deviate from the plan you chart out. -- If you have to look at pictures of people dying of lung cancer, or if you have to go to the hospital and see them face to face in order to reinforce your motivation to quit-- then do it.

Anyway, that's how I would do it, in my experience, you can't approximate that you're getting better about breaking a habit, you have to take specific and well thought out steps to be successful.

Good luck bro..

Response to Trying to quit smoking, any tips? 2007-04-09 03:21:54

At 4/9/07 02:09 AM, jaguarstrike wrote: Im already using toothpicks to help cope with the psychological oral fixation, and caffeine to take the edge off. Unfortunately this leads to splinters in the mouth and diarrhea at the other end (thankfully not vice versa). Any other methods that worked for you?

try gum
not even the nicotine gum just plain regualr gum
"oral fixation" without the splinters ;)

Response to Trying to quit smoking, any tips? 2007-04-09 03:28:06

Don't listen to the people who are being mean; addiction is a real mental disorder and it can be tough to combat it. I'm not an expert, but it sounds like a gradual process of recovery is the way to go. Don't give up! :)