00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Multi-Author System!

12,303 Views | 119 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-15 20:20:22

At 4/15/03 07:05 PM, liljim wrote:
At 4/15/03 06:10 PM, Unmindful wrote: I see you used my idea that I posted when you first talked of the multi-author system.
http://newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=38964
Thanks for the credit.
If you're talking about the double opt-in stuff, that's something I'd already written out to do before Tom even made his initial post. The only thing that's been borrowed from any of those ideas (from what I remember) is labels for the multi-author options in your personal profile editing area.

Posted: 12/13/02 11:00 AM

I have an idea, Tom. To stop your account being flooding with links to confirm movies one didn't work on, have it so in your log in options, each person has a list of people that they will collaborate with. So say you are working on a game with synj. He goes to his Collaborators List and adds your account to it, and you do the same, adding synj to your list. Then after that, say you submitted the game to the Portal, and put synj as someone who helped, then he has to confirm it in his log in box. But say I added you to my Collaborators list, and you did not add me. I make a movie and say you helped me with it, you are not asked to confirm you worked on it. This will prevent popular users from getting extreme ammounts of confirmations that they have no affiliation to.

Portal Buddies... This was posted on the first page of his post first concerning MultiAuthors.
http://newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=38964

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-15 20:23:19

At 4/15/03 07:50 PM, A17roolz wrote:
2) Will both authors get awards if they're classified as authors when the award is given?

That's an amazingly good question. Good job.

I would think both the authors would get the award, because it would be unfair to the other author(s), especially if they did an equal amount of work.

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-15 20:23:58

Umm... that is what I meant by "double opt-in".

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-15 20:25:58

I did that with my friend

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-15 20:27:53

At 4/15/03 08:20 PM, Unmindful wrote:
This will prevent popular users from getting extreme ammounts of confirmations that they have no affiliation to.

I'm not sure that would happen to the extremity you say. Popular users would maybe get the odd one, but that's nothing.

The only user that has to worry about that is Tom, and he'd probably ignore them, until he is submitting another submission. In that case he could just scroll down to confirm the right one.

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-15 20:31:41

At 4/15/03 08:23 PM, Mr_Chuckles wrote:
At 4/15/03 07:50 PM, A17roolz wrote:
2) Will both authors get awards if they're classified as authors when the award is given?
That's an amazingly good question. Good job.

I would think both the authors would get the award, because it would be unfair to the other author(s), especially if they did an equal amount of work.

Yeah, I'm wondering because I'd sure hate to put effort into a flash, see it get an award and not see it in my user profile, that'd suck :-\

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-15 20:31:55

My mistake, it just sounded extraordinarily similar to what I suggested.

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-15 20:43:29

enough with the outwar stuff already!!!!

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-15 20:52:55

nice nice, just in time too, I been waiting for this for a long time as I didn't want to submit my game until this was out, FUCK YEH

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-15 20:59:17

heh that's tight...can't wait to get flash...we (the two people of sithlord_3000) have a secret project running that we hope will get us sum credit to do some collaberations with other flash animators...this'll help alot!

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-15 21:08:30

but what happens if u forget to take guys off your buddy list when you submit something???

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-15 21:38:38

Hooray! The movies and games should really rock now!

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-15 21:51:59

Awesome feature! Thanks!

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-15 22:25:15

Happy to see the syestem is up and running Tom

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-15 22:27:16

there is a flaw in the system though. i've already seen people in the general forum just adding buddies willy nilly to their buddy list but this can backfire:

i can see it now. Person A has an aquaintance on NG, Person B. Person A is like "hey cool let's be buddies". Person A adds Person B to his list of buddies. everything is fine. but then Person A makes a movie and puts Person B as a coauthor. Person A's movie sucks and Person B had nothing to do with the movie. Person B complains that said movie is hurting their batting average and they didn't even make it. Person B whines to the admins about it. admins say "tough shit you added him to your buddy list". Person B gets angry and leaves NG and never comes back.

Person B should have to confirm that they coauthored the movie. how will problems like this be handled?

I could surely die

If I only had some pie

Club-a-Club Club, son

BBS Signature

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-16 02:31:18

Are co-authors going to get access to portal author preferences?

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-16 02:58:51

so who is synj? is synj does everything here in newgrounds? and than tom pulp is happy? :-)
just kidding...

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-16 04:02:03

At 4/15/03 02:43 PM, poxpower wrote: Tom, here's something that would be funny: P-Bot doig something! You know, many of us have seen P-Bot listed as an active user in the BBS, but we know whoever holds the account won't post. Maybe it's time P-Bot posted stuff! It would be very funny to have him as a co-author for Flash project etc.

That would be cool. And better yet, what about...

And sherbert too! Newgrundling is working on making him more popular for now, but wait till he gets his own game!

Um yeah, exactly. #;-}> Well, I suppose that if Sherbert served as inspiration for any of Tom's games, he could add Sherbert in as a buddy credit.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-16 07:30:18

At 4/15/03 08:20 PM, Unmindful wrote: I have an idea, Tom. To stop your account being flooding with links to confirm movies one didn't work on, have it so in your log in options, each person has a list of people that they will collaborate with. So say you are working on a game with synj. He goes to his Collaborators List and adds your account to it, and you do the same, adding synj to your list. Then after that, say you submitted the game to the Portal, and put synj as someone who helped, then he has to confirm it in his log in box. But say I added you to my Collaborators list, and you did not add me. I make a movie and say you helped me with it, you are not asked to confirm you worked on it. This will prevent popular users from getting extreme ammounts of confirmations that they have no affiliation to.

You can currently choose to block everyone, which would have a similar effect to filtering out people who you don't specifically select.

We are considering an option to filter by submission, so although I may have Synj on my buddy list, I could filter the potential credits with a list of submission IDs that he is allowed to credit me on. This is something we shouldn't have to worry too much aboutm though. People shouldn't choose to be buddies with a user who abuses the system.

-Tom

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-16 07:34:38

At 4/15/03 07:50 PM, A17roolz wrote: Looking at the example, I have a few questions about this:

1) Will you have immediate access to seeing all the authors' submissions if they're added upon submission?

Both authors will get the award. You will soon be able to see the submission lists for both authors. If you are logged in when you access the Portal submit form, your buddy list will be available for immediate credit. Otherwise, you can log in and edit that submissions.

Only the person who submits the Flash has access to edit the submission - he is basically the "team leader".

To answer some other questions... Everyone on your buddy list is not credited for everything you submit. You check them off on a per-submission basis.

-Tom

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-16 07:45:12

At 4/16/03 07:34 AM, TomFulp wrote:

:: Both authors will get the award. You will soon be able to see the submission lists for both authors. If you are logged in when you access the Portal submit form, your buddy list will be available for immediate credit. Otherwise, you can log in and edit that submissions.

Only the person who submits the Flash has access to edit the submission - he is basically the "team leader".

To answer some other questions... Everyone on your buddy list is not credited for everything you submit. You check them off on a per-submission basis.

-Tom

This was a very good idea. Because I'm working on a project with more people. First they didn't want to help me because they said: "Why?Is there a sense for us?" Now,haha, they will sign up and get an award(if i'll get one....haha)

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-16 10:39:35

BRAVO, NICE IDEA!!! You should make it so more then four people get credit though.

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-16 10:39:49

You probably already know this, but whilst all your co-author things are listed in your porfile, they're not listed on the same page as a submission.

So, if you go to 'Pico 2 gameplay demo', you can't see Alien Homid.

Is this just another thing to be sorted?

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-16 11:24:16

At 4/16/03 12:39 AM, Hydecka wrote: Answer me one question, will the co-author, get credit for ALL the movies I make? That would be bad if the other author didn't help at all with one of your movies. Same for the buddy.

He said on the submission page you'll check next to said buddy who you want to show as a co-author. They won't show up as a co-author on every flash you submit, just the ones you choose.

I see people keep asking about if you get spammed by a user wanting to add you to their list. There is a block feature I saw it when I logged in. Tom will probably have to use it alot. LOL.

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-16 11:29:01

I'm really glad this is done. I was waiting for the Multi-Author system to get done before I started on my multi-author projects. Now I am gonna get to work YAY!

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-16 12:56:25

At 4/16/03 02:31 AM, BigSuckUpPig wrote: Are co-authors going to get access to portal author preferences?

I'll explain this better... I haven't submitted any movies (for arguments sake anyhow) but I have co-authored one. Now I want my real name to come up next to my submissions, but my grounds gold name comes up instead. I want to be able to access those options even if I haven't submitted a movie myself, just co-authored one.

Another thing I noticed, you can check the score of an under judgement submission if they use an audio portal submission.

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-16 13:39:56

At 4/16/03 07:34 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Both authors will get the award. You will soon be able to see the submission lists for both authors. If you are logged in when you access the Portal submit form, your buddy list will be available for immediate credit. Otherwise, you can log in and edit that submissions.

-Tom

Awesome, I can very happily continue my project knowing this. Thanks Tom! Thanks James! (Noticed that he did the script and got little thanks for it) :)

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-16 16:12:51

Ok im a little disturbed!

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-16 17:09:52

At 4/16/03 01:39 PM, A17roolz wrote:
Awesome, I can very happily continue my project knowing this. Thanks Tom! Thanks James! (Noticed that he did the script and got little thanks for it) :)

james never gets the credit for anything, considering he basically designs virtually everything...

Response to Multi-Author System! 2003-04-16 17:32:41

fuck multi author system,

i want pico 2!!