00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,882,865 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 14:29:37

At 5/6/10 01:47 PM, knugen wrote:
At 5/6/10 06:21 AM, dELtaluca wrote: Hahah, looking at the size of the my physics engine over time increase from the last month of my dumps into newgrounds.
Looking good :) What's the story behind the name?

Nevermind that shit, get NG Medals back up.

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 14:37:36

At 5/6/10 01:42 PM, Depredation wrote:
At 5/6/10 06:21 AM, dELtaluca wrote: In other news, i have an exam in two hours and havn't really revised it at all since doing the module 5 months ago, hmmm
What module, further maths i'm guessing?

I'm uni mate :P I had logic and reasoning about programs today, i have my 4 maths module exams starting monday, analysis, geometry, linear algebra and mathematical methods

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 14:39:50

the physics engine is actually pretty amazing, may i see your source code or a good tutorial?

Avocado's Crazy Castle! Free to Play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbVqm7qKI8

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 14:54:11

At 5/6/10 02:29 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: Nevermind that shit, get NG Medals back up.

There was some identity thefts going on, so I was planning to add a simple system for banning the ones responsible. Thinking about perhaps just putting that damn redesign together already instead of wasting time on that old code that's frankly really ugly and hard to maintain, in that case it the site might be down for a couple of weeks though.. at best.. I'm really swamped atm :(

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 14:59:42

At 5/6/10 02:39 PM, bloo-apple wrote: the physics engine is actually pretty amazing, may i see your source code or a good tutorial?

Project page

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 15:10:54

At 5/6/10 03:00 PM, HDXmike wrote: Do you think it would be possible to make a $500 launch game in a day ?

I've seen people make $10,000 out of a game made in two weeks.

Anything's possible.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 15:24:55

At 5/6/10 03:10 PM, citricsquid wrote: If you mean accounts, just do account identification. Auto send a PM to the account with a verification link, quick and simple! Assuming you mean people pretending to be other NG users, if not disregard :-D

I have this grande idea of a network of sites, with a bigger central site on the knugen.com domain, and "global" accounts that can be linked to NG accounts (since I make much NG related stuff) and verify them very much the way you're proposing.

I have this cycle though: Work on web stuff for a while, work on games stuff for a while. This is not intentional, as I work on whatever I have the inspiration to work on for the moment, and the web part of the cycle is often not as long as the games one. So finishing larger web projects is not an easy task :(

Oh well, I know NG medals is appreciated so I'm going to do what I can to make the redesign happen asap. Perhaps I can build up a quick and manageable framework for this whole "network of sites" with Drupal or something. Don't really have the web programming skills yet to make this from scratch.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 17:31:59

At 5/6/10 04:29 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: That christmas arcade game you made could have easily gotten $2K+. Simple flash games earn way big. Ironically, a large, epic game with tons of features and cutscenes and all that jazz, may not earn much at all.

I'm missing out on a lot. I'm going for sponsorships from now on. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 17:49:43

At 5/6/10 05:41 PM, citricsquid wrote: I can send you the source for sending out verification PMs if you like, although I guess it's easy enough to do yourself (won't post it publically as it could be abused for spam PMs)

I'll take a stab at it myself first I think, might be interested later on though so thanks ^^

Early last year I contacted liljim proposing that they setup a Twitter esque account system (link to other accounts) but I never got a reply, I guess it's not a priority but it would be awesome to have; make all these "fan" sites great.

Yeah I think he pretty much ignores requests over PM's. They probably want all suggestions in that thread which I don't really remember what it's called.

Good luck with it! I liked ng-medals :-D

Thanks man :)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 18:47:06

At 5/6/10 06:23 PM, HDXmike wrote:\

speaking of 8 bit , whos noticed the pokemon craze going on , like ive seen hundreds of people start to bring out thier old GBCs and GBAs playing the original pokemons.

I think it's because that new Pokemon game came out recently.

Pokemon was never really my "thing". We played "Yu-Gi-Oh!" at my elementary school.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 19:00:05

At 5/6/10 06:47 PM, Archon68 wrote: I think it's because that new Pokemon game came out recently.

Pokemon was never really my "thing". We played "Yu-Gi-Oh!" at my elementary school.

Pokemon Cards, Pokemon Games, Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblade.

We had it all.

Also Archon check your googletalk.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 19:26:56

At 5/6/10 04:29 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: That christmas arcade game you made could have easily gotten $2K+. Simple flash games earn way big. Ironically, a large, epic game with tons of features and cutscenes and all that jazz, may not earn much at all.

That's crazy. Back when I used to make flash games, $2k was what you'd expect to see as the grand prize of the AGC contests or something. I'd totally be up for making a quick game with someone and have fartzaboy sell it. I send Sam game engines every once in a while but he never gets anything done. Disappointing !

Yes, that's a shout-out for animators.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 19:35:19

At 5/6/10 07:26 PM, Toast wrote: That's crazy. Back when I used to make flash games, $2k was what you'd expect to see as the grand prize of the AGC contests or something. I'd totally be up for making a quick game with someone and have fartzaboy sell it. I send Sam game engines every once in a while but he never gets anything done. Disappointing !

If you still have that child catapult .fla, i'll finish that if you fix the bugs.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 19:43:45

I feel its time for a forum image change...HAH nobody is going to be used to this :P

Full image here

But yeah, pokemon, yugioh, beyblade..those were the days!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 20:05:26

Everyone wish HDXMike luck with his 48-hour game!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 21:32:20

OK.

I will use words that Mike will understand intimately:

"Let the hate flow through you, and your journey towards the dark side will be complete! Ptuh. ptuh."

Naw, in all seriousness, good luck. That's a real fast turn around time, but a great challenge. :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-07 02:32:29

British elections

So are we looking at a hung parliament, labour/lib dem coalition or what?

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."

- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-07 03:41:55

At 5/7/10 03:05 AM, ImpendingRiot wrote: Iron Man 2 was rad. Good night Newgrounds.

Iron man 2 was alright, but i felt that it ended too soon and the ending didn't feel like an ending.. Idk its hard to explain.

Lots of small problems instead of 1 big one? Maybe...half ish, they kinda tied together but in a loose way. (Rourke and Rockwell)

Still was an entertaining movie, liked the first one better though

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-07 08:35:54

At 5/7/10 02:32 AM, Deadclever23 wrote: British elections

wtf is a hung parliament, i thought you just obeyed the queen's every word

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-07 10:12:22

At 5/7/10 08:35 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:

From what i understand the queen still exist out of tradition, she doesnt actually do anything nowadays.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-07 10:15:25

also anytime i hear the term hung parliament i picture a bunch of black politicians sitting in a room without pants on...

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-07 10:22:28

At 5/7/10 08:35 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: wtf is a hung parliament, i thought you just obeyed the queen's every word

This is the race to elect the guy who'll be the queen's advisor (hence the term Prime Minister). In Disney's Aladdin, picture Jafar. We're electing him. Only in practice the monarch's even less powerful and I'm pretty sure the PM's not going to have a talking parrot..

As for hung parliaments... You know how the US Senate is totally incapable of doing anything thanks to the fact that the Democrats don't have a supermajority?

The Hung Parliament's sorta like that. Sorta.

The Conservative Party (our version of the Republicans, but less likely to hold thier convention in Hawai'i, led by yes-man David Cameron and backed by Rupert Murdoch's Global Empire) has won the most seats here, but lacks the outright 50% majority to be able to claim parliament. The other two parties, Labour (see the US Democratic Party, only less competant and led by an angry scottish cyclops NOT armed with a grenade launcher) and the Liberal Democrats (the 'other' group thanks to the fact we don't favour a two party system that looked like it was doing well until opinion polls worked out people lie quite well) together don't have enough to take control of the 50% either if they combined forces to become a Coalition Government.

So currently Gordon Brown is still in control, but there's immense pressure from the larger party for him to step down. And currently, we're not sure who's going to run things. The Lib Dems could coalition join with the Conservatives, in which they'll promise to help run the country with them in exchange for first pick of thier guys (yes, british politics works like playground football...), or the Conservatives could try running the country without the supermajority in a Minority Government, and get constantly shouted at by the Lib Dems and Labour, grinding most political processes to a halt.

My constituency in Derby kept Labour in, despite our MP changing, and the Conservatives kept thier seat in the Mid Bedfordshire seat my family lives under. Nationwide there are calls for parliamentary reform since despite the Liberal Democrats earning 23% of the nation's votes (contrast with 29% Labour and 36% Conservative, the numbers are pretty close!), they managed to LOSE seats.

I'm personally ignoring them all now and waiting for the foot to drop after this election when whatever person we're all living under has to break the bad news about budget cuts and tax hikes...

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-07 10:35:46

At 5/7/10 10:15 AM, Luis wrote: also anytime i hear the term hung parliament i picture a bunch of black politicians sitting in a room without pants on...

Some old straight faced political commentator on the BBC said "seriously hung" last night and I could not stop laughing.

Anyway Con-LD coalition is the only way to go. Like it or not Cameron won this election and he should form a government.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-07 10:43:02

Disclaimer: My previous post is a little sketchy and has many, many things wrong with it, but is adequate to explain things.

At 5/7/10 10:35 AM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: Anyway Con-LD coalition is the only way to go. Like it or not Cameron won this election and he should form a government.

By definition of how the election system works in this country, Cameron has not won. No one has. None of them attained the required number of votes. Thats what the hung parliament means, boy.

Yes Cameron won the most seats. And that means diddly-squat at the moment - by constitutional right, Gordon Brown gets to stay on because the tug of war didn't drag him off the cliff. He gets to keep ruling the country if he manages to restart parliament and no one grumbles loudly. Anyone who is saying anything different is actually lying - and at any rate, has to go plead thier case to the aforementioned figurehead of royalty, who isn't likely to listen to "I got the most seats so fuck this 'PM gets to stay on business', gimme!"

In practice though, LD-Con is likely to happen. Brown won't be able to hang on with this kind of pressure (I dunno. First the Sun, then Clegg, then Cameron and now the unbelieveable power of Kirk... poor guy must be FEELING that burn), and so Cameron's going to try either running a Minority government (unfuckinglikely - look at a map of the UK. How many CITIES didn't vote Labour? How much of a standing in Scotland, Wales and NI do the Tories have?), or more likely talk to Mr Clegg. Which is actually what they're doing now... cheaters.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-07 10:58:18

At 5/7/10 10:43 AM, KaynSlamdyke wrote: By definition of how the election system works in this country, Cameron has not won. No one has. None of them attained the required number of votes. Thats what the hung parliament means, boy.

Well not won outright but with 36% of the vote and the most seats gain, I'd say he can claim victory.

Yes Cameron won the most seats. And that means diddly-squat at the moment - by constitutional right, Gordon Brown

You seem to be implying that are constitution isn't a horrible horrible mess.

or more likely talk to Mr Clegg. Which is actually what they're doing now... cheaters.

How's it cheating?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-07 11:11:27

At 5/7/10 10:58 AM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: Well not won outright but with 36% of the vote and the most seats gain, I'd say he can claim victory.

We don't go with percentage of the vote, silly man. And he can claim victory, but on the same token so can the English football team when we draw with Germany just because we had more posession of the ball...

To put it in football terms - No score draw in politics, Labour wins on aggregate unless they can convince the Lib Dems to take it to penalties.

You seem to be implying that are constitution isn't a horrible horrible mess.

Sorry to give that impression. It is a horrible mess. Mainly because unlike those clever yanks we didn't write ours down.

How's it cheating?

Because Gordon's meant to be denied it first :p

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-07 11:16:07

At 5/7/10 11:11 AM, KaynSlamdyke wrote: We don't go with percentage of the vote, silly man. And he can claim victory, but on the same token so can the English football team when we draw with Germany just because we had more posession of the ball...

You seem to have stopped reading that sentence half way through, I said he had the most votes and the most seats. Read the whole thing before giving your shoddy analogies.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-07 11:27:16

I just downloaded Box2D to try for a game I am making, but not even the "example" files will compile...

1046: Type was not found or was not a compile-time constant: Vector.

How can the "Vector" class not be a "compile-time constant" if it is a Top Level class? Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-07 11:32:29

At 5/7/10 11:27 AM, Archon68 wrote: How can the "Vector" class not be a "compile-time constant" if it is a Top Level class? Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Compile for Flash Player 10, not Flash Player 9

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-07 11:32:57

At 5/7/10 08:35 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:

That's because you're an ignorant American

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com