00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

4DottorTette7 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,885,225 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-15 01:13:08

At 2/15/09 01:04 AM, Johnny wrote: Out of the 14 top post on the flash page... 10 are for Collabs. Someone do something...

Bad news is all of them are gay. Hah. :]

I hear Luis likes to approve them.

what

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-15 02:11:51

At 2/15/09 01:13 AM, K-Guare wrote:
At 2/15/09 01:04 AM, Johnny wrote: Out of the 14 top post on the flash page... 10 are for Collabs. Someone do something...
Bad news is all of them are gay. Hah. :]

I hear Luis likes to approve them.

Good news is i have nothing to do with them ^_^

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-15 02:49:27

At 2/14/09 04:41 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/140209/4 9229_MPTD.php

pathfinding visualization looks cool

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/140209/8 4804_MPTD.php

Now click space to swap to "enemy" mode and click to spawn enemies

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-15 06:48:12

At 2/15/09 02:49 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Now click space to swap to "enemy" mode and click to spawn enemies

Very nice, lots of possible implementations as well. I managed to spawn about 400 of those enemies with no lag at all, so it's damn well optimized.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-15 09:00:21

At 2/14/09 10:25 PM, MichaelHurst wrote: Also, oldskool photoshop that I've kept for no reason.

So by changing your name you gave up your immunity against Luis' ban stick?

He's throwing that stick around like crazy you know, better watch your back now ;)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-15 09:58:59

At 2/14/09 05:18 PM, Toast wrote: This time we could have it a little different than the usual 1 team in each corner white background kind of thing. We could try it with walls, or obstacles that slow you down in some places so there is more strategy involved. also we could have it like an army instead of just 1 bot.

I liked the idea of a team based strategy game like the one they do at MIT, that looked badass - we should do that :) A top view map, maybe 100x100 10px squares or something, nothing too complex, with randomly (or strategically) placed resources and a base for each team (depending on amount of players either 2 or 4). They should be able to build buildings - nothing too difficult, maybe a hospital type building that heals the bots and turrets that attack enemies and maybe factories to turn the resources into something (or just use raw resources i.e. 200 wood to build a turret).. something like that. The idea would of course be to destroy the enemy players (or their base, either). I don't it'd be too difficult to code the engine, it'd just be harder to do the AI of course - to get the AI to work with it's team mates so you don't get all the team just resource gathering and not working on defence or offence xD

Also Glaiel, very nice =D

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-15 13:02:45

At 2/15/09 09:58 AM, ppl wrote: as wars

So, maybe i don't pay attention or something, i know theres an AS wars but is there an "animation wars" type of thing? Seeing as i don't know AS :P

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-15 13:49:21

At 2/15/09 01:02 PM, Duchednier wrote: So, maybe i don't pay attention or something, i know theres an AS wars but is there an "animation wars" type of thing? Seeing as i don't know AS :P

Well, Luis had animation challenges for awhile. But no one else is cool or popular enough to start those up again.

:U

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-15 15:24:41

At 2/15/09 01:49 PM, Josh-B wrote: Well, Luis had animation challenges for awhile. But no one else is cool or popular enough to start those up again.

What, everyone is cool enough to be able to start those up again, you just have to do it, and put some effort into the example animation, so people know you mean bidness. I've always wanted to do that, but I'm too unmotivated, if someone started them up though, I'd participate. Also you have to have a good idea each week, because "bouncing ball" and "walk cycle" get old fast...

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-15 15:36:18

At 2/15/09 01:02 PM, Duchednier wrote: So, maybe i don't pay attention or something, i know theres an AS wars but is there an "animation wars" type of thing? Seeing as i don't know AS :P

There was this thread, in which you got paired up with another user and then competed against him on a challenge given to you. There were both programming and animation challenges.

These kinds of threads never lasts very long though, you could try to bump it, or you could start your own if you like :)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-15 15:41:31

Fall Back Plan

I'm curious as to what everyone's fall back plan is if what they are currently doing fails. Now I know this doesn't apply to some of you because you're still young, but maybe you'll have some input anyways.

Over a hookah and quite a few beers last night I got talking with a few friends about this subject. For example, my one friend is going to school now for Exercise Science and he couldn't give less of a shit about it. Says he would much rather be going to culinary school. I thought that that was interesting.

As for me, I go to art school and I am majoring in Graphic Design. I love it to death, and I feel I am a creatively artistic person and this is where I belong. However, if for some reason that doesn't pan out, or if I get lucky somewhere else, I really want to produce music and DJ at clubs. Music is my second love, and I've had more fun DJing parties than I have doing anything else. There is nothing more exciting to me than driving the beat of the party and having people love it. It's the best feeling in the world. Lucky for me, both field are absolute competitive and it's very hard to be successful in each of them.

What about you guys, outside of artsy things or programming stuff, where else could you see yourselves?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-15 15:53:59

back-up plan

I'm studying Information Sciences right now, but if I really, really did what I love the most I would probably be studying something to do with music or cinematography. I'm too much of a pussy to study something like that though. In a way I'm already following my back-up plan, with this study I'm guaranteed I'll get a well-paid job when I'm finished. I'll just do all the music/artistic/video stuff as a hobby.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-15 16:27:19

At 2/15/09 03:41 PM, Senti wrote: Fall Back Plan

Failure is not an option.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-15 16:30:37

Fall-back plan

Seeing as I'm not even in school right now, I'm not even on my main plan I guess. I have no idea what the plan is :P I'm just enjoying the place I'm at now, and will worry about the plan once I know what I want to do.

And if everything else fails, accountant.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-15 16:39:54

Lol my fall back plan is to make flash games for a living.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-15 18:57:32

Medicine with Biomedicine for graduate entry as a back-up.

Very long time from now though...

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-15 19:18:50

At 2/15/09 04:39 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Lol my fall back plan is to make flash games for a living.

You could make quite a good living if you managed to pump out a couple of good games a fortnight, aswell as some web design and such. I've been offered an interview at codemasters when i'm finished a levels, since i did work experience there.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-15 19:42:14

At 2/15/09 07:18 PM, Depredation wrote:
At 2/15/09 04:39 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Lol my fall back plan is to make flash games for a living.
You could make quite a good living if you managed to pump out a couple of good games a fortnight, aswell as some web design and such. I've been offered an interview at codemasters when i'm finished a levels, since i did work experience there.

Ya I know. If I worked full time on my games I'd probably already be making a living off of it, the free casual games market is booming right now since nobody wants to pay for full games with the economy and all.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-16 01:52:34

At 2/15/09 03:41 PM, Senti wrote: What about you guys, outside of artsy things or programming stuff, where else could you see yourselves?

Ehm, I'd love to be a travel guide writer. xD No, but, I really have no clue what I would do if I failed big time on my course but whatever it was I'd try do something big and fulfilling. Working as a programmer at a games studio wouldn't be really "fulfilling" generally of course it is what I want to do because I love programming (plus I love games, but I'd be happy programming other things) but still.. uh.. yeah. O_o hi guys.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-16 02:35:25

Surgery in 5 in a half hours...

So I'm going to be having my surgery in roughly 5 hours...what fun.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-16 05:17:45

At 2/15/09 09:01 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote: I just got a new HDTV that's a testimonial to my love of the game industry :P I'd rather make animations, if it was more profitable.

I'm saving up for a gigantic 50,000:1 sony bravia, although it could take several thousand years at the rate i'm producing games.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-16 06:13:59

Hot Flashes Category on Kotaku
Gratz to John for getting Super Mafia Bros a daily award and a news update at Kotaku.

The XML feed on my site picked up both. It's set up to pick up news about artists I actually care about, and to filter all the stuff from Kotaku so that FLASH stuff is highlighted first. Whoo for Yahoo! Pipes

No idea how prestigious an acolade that is, but figured it was worth mentioning.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-16 08:29:57

I made this due to my hatred of ugly dynamic textboxes. Feel free to use/steal/pillage it.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-16 15:52:34

At 2/16/09 02:35 AM, Rudy wrote: Surgery in 5 in a half hours...

So I'm going to be having my surgery in roughly 5 hours...what fun.

GL RUDY!

Fall Back plan

Over the last year my plan has been kinda wild but yet epic.

Started out with Exile, I used to (and still do actually) strive for the popularity of Xombie (except have a better ending to the series :P) and use that to fund me for a living >=D I mean, its not "all about the popularity" sorta thing, i mean it would be doing something that i love and not needing a day job.

Then i met DawnofDusk, excellent Coder, and we got to talking and now were making a game together, and this game is the inspiration that led to my next dream, start a game making company of my own. These are of course just "dreams" but only for now, i'm working my ass off (and will be for the next 5 years) to get this plan moving.

If all of that fails, i plan to live with my parents till i die.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-16 16:03:17

Flash to Ipod Touch

Anyone noticed the number of flash games that have made there was over to the ipod? Line rider was one of the first, then edge (which was going to be a flash, but got scrapped), and now fantastic contraption has been ported. It seems like a good market to try and use, if i ever get a mac, i'll definitely give it a shot, but i'm not buying a whole new pc if it can't do anything much else.

Anyone else tried working with the ipod (except glaiel :P)?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-16 16:06:34

iReally, really want to make things for the iPod.
I was even thinking about getting a Mac for that reason alone.

I hear the iPod apps business is actually really profitable.
But...that doesn't matter...because...I don't make games for money?

what

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-16 16:06:53

It's not that easy to port flash to the touch, you generally have to reprogram it from scratch. Luckily for the fantastic contraption, box2D was originally a c++ engine so he had that going for him.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-16 16:12:25

Games for iPod

I actually downloaded the SDK a couple of weeks back. But I'm busy with way too many projects as it is so I'm postponing looking into it for a little while. I wonder how complicated it is when you have general knowledge of OO (Java, AS3 etc.) and software development. Anyone care informing me (Glaiel)?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-16 16:20:43

Learn c++. It's not really that bad, might feel overwhelming at first with all the control it gives you, but then you go back to flash and miss being able to control memory allocation and pointers/references and all the other nice features it gives.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-16 17:34:21

At 2/16/09 06:13 AM, KaynSlamdyke wrote: Hot Flashes Category on Kotaku
Gratz to John for getting Super Mafia Bros a daily award and a news update at Kotaku.

No gratz for me, shafted.