00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

qTweez just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,912,621 Views | 60,181 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-23 13:02:49

Spriting Test

Does this look, I dunno, solid to you? It's the first bit of spriting I've ever done for a game. And I haven't done much character animation before either. There are a few glitches in the movement controls that I know of, but this is only to test the animation not the coding :). It's supposed to look a little rough and the black bars are there so you can see he's actually moving.

Right arrow key > run to the right.
Down arrow key > duck/dive/slide.
Spacebar > shoot.
Enter > Toggle explosion/almost dead effect (not too sure about this yet).

Looks okay to you?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-23 13:15:14

At 12/23/08 01:02 PM, Xeptic wrote: Looks okay to you?

I like it, nice work. :]
The only think i don't like though is the delay for when you want
to walk, or duck.
Bump up the framerate a bit, or just make the walk/duck animations faster.

And i think the Enter effect would be suitable for a death, or a game over.
I think more of a game over, because it'd get too repetitive if it were just for a death.
But overall good job. :]

what

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-23 13:39:03

I finished a game. >:( I'm on vacation and I got it done that's how dedicated I am.

p.s anyone know why modifying jack smack's code to this

onClipEvent(enterFrame){
urlStart = _url.indexOf( "://" )+3;
urlEnd = _url.indexOf( "/", urlStart );
domain = _url.substring( urlStart, urlEnd );
LastDot = domain.lastIndexOf( "." ) -1;
pfixEnd = domain.lastIndexOf( "." , LastDot ) +1;
domain = domain.substring( pfixEnd , domain.length);

if (domain == "newgrounds.com") {
this._alpha=100
} else {
this._alpha=0
}
}

will work with any url other than newgrounds.com? really frustrating I didn't want to have ad's here but I can't seem to get the mochiad's domain to register newgrouds.com either =(

I'm cool now... Right guys?... Guys?

Art Thread So I don't Lose It >:(

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-23 13:45:06

At 12/23/08 01:39 PM, NextToNothing wrote: p.s anyone know why modifying jack smack's code to this
will work with any url other than newgrounds.com?

It probably has something to with the fact that games are stored on another domain than newgrounds.com, here is the url to your .swf: http://uploads.ungrounded.net/475000/475 274_ngversion.swf

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-23 14:04:09

Yeah, because freaking Adobe made the _url property the
url the SWF is hosted at, and not the domain that it's hosted on.

Because i had this idea that
i could make a separate .as file to go with a game,
i could restrict what sites can host my game by adding additional sites to that .as

Then if someone's trying to play my game from a site that isn't on
my little approved list, i could make it not work, and display a little error message. :]

But that dream's been long gone. :[

what

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-23 14:18:07

At 12/23/08 01:02 PM, Xeptic wrote: Spriting Test

Does this look, I dunno, solid to you?

Pretty nice. A bit slow, the animation and everything but nice. Also for the 'almost dead' effect, maybe add a blur of some description and distort sounds?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-23 18:30:32

Merry Christmas!

If I'm not all wrong, most of you guys don't give presents and all that other stuff until Christmas day, but here we do most of the celebration on Christmas Eve and the local time is now 0.30 AM ^^ So, Merry Christmas guys! :)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-23 18:50:56

At 12/23/08 06:30 PM, knugen wrote: Merry Christmas!

If I'm not all wrong, most of you guys don't give presents and all that other stuff until Christmas day, but here we do most of the celebration on Christmas Eve and the local time is now 0.30 AM ^^ So, Merry Christmas guys! :)

How comes you do all the celebrating on Christmas eve? What do you spend Christmas day doing? Its 23.50 here. 10minutes and it'll be Christmas eve.. Merry Christmas nonetheless.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-23 19:02:45

At 12/23/08 06:50 PM, UnknownFury wrote: How comes you do all the celebrating on Christmas eve? What do you spend Christmas day doing? Its 23.50 here. 10minutes and it'll be Christmas eve.. Merry Christmas nonetheless.

I have no idea why, just tradition I guess. Christmas day is not really that special here, when I was little I mostly spend it playing with all my new toys, now it's more like a day for recovery after almost eating oneself to death the day before ;)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-23 19:16:33

At 12/23/08 07:02 PM, knugen wrote: I have no idea why, just tradition I guess. Christmas day is not really that special here, when I was little I mostly spend it playing with all my new toys, now it's more like a day for recovery after almost eating oneself to death the day before ;)

Sounds reasonable :P
Is Christmas eve a holiday there then? 'cause over here 25th and 26th are holidays.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-23 19:27:22

At 12/23/08 07:16 PM, UnknownFury wrote: Sounds reasonable :P
Is Christmas eve a holiday there then? 'cause over here 25th and 26th are holidays.

Yeah, all days 24-26th are holidays :)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-23 19:28:35

At 12/23/08 01:45 PM, knugen wrote:
At 12/23/08 01:39 PM, NextToNothing wrote: p.s anyone know why modifying jack smack's code to this
will work with any url other than newgrounds.com?
It probably has something to with the fact that games are stored on another domain than newgrounds.com, here is the url to your .swf: http://uploads.ungrounded.net/475000/475 274_ngversion.swf

you rock how'd you find the that address? doesn't matter too much now since it's off to obscurity =)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-23 19:29:31

At 12/23/08 07:27 PM, knugen wrote:
At 12/23/08 07:16 PM, UnknownFury wrote: Sounds reasonable :P
Yeah, all days 24-26th are holidays :)

Or wait.. 24th is actually not a 'red day' in the calendar, I always thought it was :P There is no school though, and very few works on Christmas Eve.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-23 19:36:18

At 12/23/08 07:28 PM, NextToNothing wrote: you rock how'd you find the that address? doesn't matter too much now since it's off to obscurity =)

Well, you can either open the source code for the page and take it from there (search for '.swf' and you will find the url instantly), or if you have Firefox you can right click and choose "Show page info" (or something along those lines, I don't have English Firefox). Under the media tab you will see things like images, swf's and more listed along with their url :)

Sorry for double. I should go post elsewhere now, I feel like such a spammer for posting so much in here :P

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-23 22:25:17

Holidays
Are you guys saying you only have like 3 days off?
I'm out of school from now until January 4th, I think.

Personally, I don't do much on Christmas Eve, or even Christmas.
Some family comes over for dinner on Christmas day, at about 6 PM
but until then my siblings and I just screw around with what
our parents scraped up for us.

I'd mail you guys cards like Luis did if i didn't have
a total phobia for giving away personal information.
Har har har. :]

what

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-23 22:31:42

At 12/23/08 10:25 PM, K-Guare wrote: Holidays
Are you guys saying you only have like 3 days off?
I'm out of school from now until January 4th, I think.

School breaks are normally from around 20 December to the second week of January, most workers only have these three days though I think (and New Year's day).

I study at the university, so I'm not on a break per se, but I don't have any lectures until January 5th again (4th is a Sunday, so my bet is that you start the 5th as well ;] ).

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-24 00:12:24

The mysteries of the portal, my game went down .13 in about 6 views and 6 votes, seeing as its nowhere to be seen without actively looking for it I'm supposing someone(s) is actively down voting everything in order to increase their portal award chances. Utterly and completely hilarious.

glad I wasn't even near in the running or that would probably have made me angry =)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-24 00:41:41

Damn Christmas!

I'm home for the holidays and working at McDonalds to get some money.. I was working today (Christmas Eve Eve) 4pm til 1am, though 1am is just a guideline.. place closes at midnight, we leave when all the cleaning and set up is done. It was incredibly busy, I was on Drive Thru and it was non stop cars until midnight - on a tuesday night, with only 4 people. One person in the kitchen, trying to do chicken and grill sides (we needed at least 3 people, minimum) and 1 person on front counter, one handing out the drive through food.. anyway, no staff, hundreds of customers.. we ended up getting out just before 4am -.- And I'm back in at 3pm, closing again but we close at 10.. oh well. I got paid today, so the money went in about 3am, so I checked my balance when I left McDs, it turns out I've spent my pay (only 1 weeks worth, 3 days) on xmas presents.. so I spent my money as I got it practically =[ Christmas isn't as awesome when you're older.. still, looking forward to Christmas Day, yay :D

In case I don't post again til after Christmas, have a Merry Christmas everyone :) <3

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-24 04:10:13

It's going to be Christmas here in Australia/Newzealand in a few hours. I wont be on the BBS tomorrow, so, I hope you all have a safe and merry Christmas.

being in the future ftw

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-24 07:28:32

Merry Christmas :)

Have a good one chaps.

-England

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-24 11:30:06

Its still only Christmas Eve day for me.

But Merry Christmas to all of you who it's christmas for!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-24 15:10:12

At 12/24/08 11:30 AM, NG-Unit wrote: But Merry Christmas to all of you who it's christmas for!

Yep yep,
Christmas is Tomorrow for me as well.
Yay for American Time Zones. :]

I wont be online, so,
knugen make sure you handle all the Flash question threads.

Lol. :]

what

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-24 17:37:46

Hey guys. I don't know if any of you remember me but I used to post here quite a bit but have been out of the flash scene for 2 and a half years or so now. Anyway, i've decided to get back into swing of things with a few games on the go already and i'll be around here a fair bit now :D

So... yeah.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-24 17:48:50

At 12/24/08 03:10 PM, K-Guare wrote: I wont be online, so,
knugen make sure you handle all the Flash question threads.

If you come online to ask questions about flash on christmas day.. you're either of A. Some other religion, B. Sad. :3

At 12/24/08 05:37 PM, Nick wrote: Hey guys. I don't know if any of you remember me but I used to post here quite a bit but have been out of the flash scene for 2 and a half years or so now. Anyway, i've decided to get back into swing of things with a few games on the go already and i'll be around here a fair bit now :D

So... yeah.

Hey, I think you're from before my time as I don't think I remember you. Nonetheless, welcome back good sir.

nonetheless is my word of the day.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-24 18:12:46

At 12/24/08 05:50 PM, 25272D wrote:
I'm citricsquid / Onnet / onnet092

Oh that's you are :P. I had my suspicions. Hey nick, good to see you back again.

Also, merry xmas all if i'm not on tommorow.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-24 18:22:33

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-24 18:44:00

x-mas
enjoy it kthx

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-24 19:40:09

At 12/24/08 06:22 PM, Luis wrote: Merry xmas yalllll
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/47 5585

Lmao. You win :3

I think I'm heading to bed soon and will only be on for a tiny bit in the morning and late at night so, merry christmas all :)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-24 19:45:02

Maaan i did some artwork for a realy tidy little christmas flash game but the programmer still hasnt sorted out the sponsorship :/

Pretty annoying seeing as the game could have done really well....

what do you guys think?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-12-24 20:08:59

At 12/24/08 07:45 PM, J1mp wrote: Maaan i did some artwork for a realy tidy little christmas flash game but the programmer still hasnt sorted out the sponsorship :/

Cant you all slap on a mochi/ng api and submit it? It will probably perform far better if its released during xmas rather than any other time after...

None

BBS Signature