00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Wettle just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Audio help

1,023 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Audio help 2006-09-02 17:12:36

I've been playing guitar for 3 years, and I'm in a band, I'm also a recording n00b, can anybody help me out so I can start recording?

Response to Audio help 2006-09-02 18:01:31

Here's GoreBastard's response to one of my reviews, I thought it was pretty helpfull:

"Firstly I use a drum program called Acoustica Beatcraft which you can get from www.acoustica.com. With this program, you can make the drum beat for an entire song, then when you've finished it you convert it into whatever type of file you need it to be, I usually convert it to a WAV file.

Then there's a kick ass piece of hardware and software that I use called a Line 6 Guitar Port. This plugs your guitar straight into your computer, and it has hundreds of different amp models/sounds/effects etc... You can get a really good guitar sound out of it if you play around with it.

Then, I use a recording program called Cubase. With this, you can load up your drum part onto one of the empty tracks, then record along to the drums with the Line 6 Guitar Port running on a seperate track. Cubase has got a bunch of plugins such as echo's, reverbs, and a bunch of other good shit that you can use to add to your guitar or drum sounds. Once you've made your song, the best thing to do is to convert it into a WAV, then get a seperate program to convert that WAV into an MP3 which will fit Newgrounds standards. WAV to MP3 converters can be found pretty cheap, or even free if you search for them on google."

You can also use different (including free) programs to achieve similar results.

Response to Audio help 2006-09-02 18:01:37

start out by reading through the audio sticky, then come back when you get more specific questions.

And DO read whatever links a re in the sticky good :)

Wakka wakka

Response to Audio help 2006-09-02 20:09:48

At 9/2/06 06:01 PM, Rucklo wrote: start out by reading through the audio sticky, then come back when you get more specific questions.

And DO read whatever links a re in the sticky good :)

I've already read most of it, I was overwhelmed.

Response to Audio help 2006-09-03 09:14:36

In professional recording situations, recording live drum parts usually involves having two stereo condenser mics placed on each side (more sensitive to sound than dynamic mics), with multiple microphones placed above each drum (usually specially designed dynamic).

What I guess you'll have to do is record your drum parts either as a mono recording using 1 mic, or maybe perhaps use 2 mics to produce a general stereo recording.

Cubase is a great piece of software, but then again there's also Logic which is used on mac computers. For recording guitars via amplifiers as well as recording the drum parts, you'll need something called an "audio interface". Just a box that you can connect microphones to and then have the box connected to your computer via USB or Firewire.

Don't forget, you start recording the percussive parts, then work your way through recording other backing parts ending with the lead parts. Any questions?

Response to Audio help 2006-09-03 09:34:11

At 9/3/06 09:14 AM, FoxxieCreations wrote: Any questions?

yes... who are you?

Response to Audio help 2006-09-03 10:51:41

Does it matter? If he feels he can answer the question (and fairly well at that), let him.