00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bam76pixon just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sprite Club

506,959 Views | 8,375 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-21 13:23:29

At 7/21/03 01:08 PM, -Majin- wrote: i don't feel like making a new sprite today...
so i made this.
i don't like coloring the the face,so...

hey cool job :)

I'm working on a few right now myself.

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-21 14:46:19

What you all use the most? I've been using Chrono Trigger sprites latly.

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-21 16:58:24

Wow, I thought this crew died a long time ago. I joined when it was created. Nice to see that there are more members.

Ive been reading a few of the posts and Doc has some great points on sprites.

Here is a few tips of my own on sprites:
1) If you want to scale a sprite without the blurry look just go to its gif/jpeg properties in the library and uncheck allow smoothing.

2) If youre going to make sprites, preferably save it as a gif under Photoshop, Paintshop, or any graphics program you have. Jpegs give a you a smaller file size but you lose a lot of quaility and it tends to blur your sprite as well.

If you need anymore tips just ask. Check my profile to see some of my sprite movies. And I recently updated my Castlevania movie as well.

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-21 17:00:31

At 7/21/03 02:46 PM, Ghaleonx5z wrote: What you all use the most? I've been using Chrono Trigger sprites latly.

I use the Car Ranger sprites from The Shyguy Kingdom for size reference, but I pixelate my own characters like this one:

Sprite Club

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-21 17:03:33

I also created and pixelated this guy:

Sprite Club

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-21 17:27:43

hey doc thanks for the tips.ive already started work on a sequel. ive used speach bubbles so you can read the txt.im hoping to make this one longer with more music.the only sound fx i can get are from my house of the dead 2 game. do you know of anywhere else i can get a hold of some.somebody told me that flash kit.com is ok so i might try there.im glad you liked the movie.

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-21 17:41:40

At 7/21/03 05:27 PM, Niko1uk wrote: hey doc thanks for the tips.

No sweat! Any time, mate!

do you know of anywhere else i can get a hold of some.somebody told me that flash kit.com is ok so i might try there.

Yep, FlashKit.com is a good place for sound fx. You may also want to try 3D Cafe and Partners In Rhyme . Now, the last one is mainly into selling royalty free music and sound fx CD's, but they do have samples you're allowed to download from their site.

im glad you liked the movie.

You bet! And I'm looking forward to the next one! Make sure you post a link here when it's out. Good luck!

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-22 06:13:31

thnx again. ill be sure to check these sites out.

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-22 16:14:26

Hmm how do u create characters and pixalize them? and also id lika to be parta this group also...Should i just addSprite club member

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-22 16:37:45

At 7/22/03 04:14 PM, LoD_SafeGuard wrote: Hmm how do u create characters and pixalize them? and also id lika to be parta this group also...Should i just addSprite club member

Hey, LoD_SafeGuard! Glad to see you made it over! IncurableGimp is the top banana of this club and he's been gracious enough to allow anyone with an interest in sprites to join so ... welcome aboard!

My process for creating original sprites is a bit involved. I'm just learning how to do it myself, so I haven't streamlined the process yet. Here's what I do:

1) I draw the characters on paper & scan them in.
2) I vectorize and clean them up in Adobe Illustrator (AI). I also color them adding highlights and shadows to the final piece.
3) I shrink them down in AI using a Car Ranger sprite from The Shyguy Kingdom as a size ref.
4) I copy and paste the vectorized images into Adobe Photoshop (PS) - at 72 dpi and with a transparent background - making sure the Anti-Alias box was not checked. That gives me the blocky effect.
5) I then use the pencil tool to make corrections and touch them up.
6) I save them as .PNG files since they seem to consistantly retain the transparent background.

The Doc Monster Labs characters that appear in my sig are my own and the first animated sprites I've created 100% from scratch. I've been working on getting the kinks out of my sprites and I'm writing a script to showcase them in a Flash toon on NG.

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-22 18:09:21

I can never seem to make my own. Never get it right, well I keep trying at least :)

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-22 18:20:37

i hope you can help me..i need the sprite sheet of dark zero running..i have tried to find it but i couldn't..i hope you can help me, it'll be very appreciated and i will include you in my movie credits for the help..thanx

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-22 20:50:00

Erm tahts a bit complicated...espicially since i don't have a scanner...and i have 7 days on the flash trial...mkay then..

Sprite Club

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-22 21:22:47

At 7/22/03 06:20 PM, CheveLoco wrote: i hope you can help me..i need the sprite sheet of dark zero running..i have tried to find it but i couldn't..i hope you can help me, it'll be very appreciated and i will include you in my movie credits for the help..thanx

This site has it

http://mdrockman.tripod.com/sprites.htm

But the white background makes it hard to see the lists so its link is this

http://mdrockman.tripod.com/darkzero.gif

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-22 21:27:29

Oh, you'll have to copy and paste that last link.

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-23 08:09:55

At 7/22/03 04:50 PM, LoD_SafeGuard wrote: Erm tahts a bit complicated...espicially since i don't have a scanner...and i have 7 days on the flash trial...mkay then..

It's really not as complicated as it sounds, but with only 7 days left on your Flash trial, I can see how time is of the essence.

Since your time with Flash is very limited, I'd suggest you stick to ripping sprites from sprite sheets for now and learn to use them to your best abilities. Hopefully you'll be able to get a permanent version of Flash so you can keep it up and try your hand at original sprites.

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-23 08:20:51

Good on ya, Zenxin! I had the hardest time trying to find the Dark Zero running cycle. Thanks for posting the link here!

By the way, Castlevania SoTN Alt End is HILARIOUS! The sprite animation is great! Good job!

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-23 09:34:04

d'oh! >.<

another sprite failed...i hate MSN pain!

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-23 10:22:18

is it all right if you only have flash mx and photshop to make sprite films

Sprite Club

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-23 10:37:16

At 7/23/03 06:22 AM, TOPBRICK wrote: is it all right if you only have flash mx and photshop to make sprite films

Sure. If you're only using ripped sprites, all you really need is Flash MX.

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-23 10:44:54

i dont know if i am or not i went to site and got all these sheets whith pics am goner use them is that ok oh and am goner use my senes emulater for backgrounds

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-23 10:53:56

be sure to put the site from were you get the sprites in the cridits!
just fore copyright...

you DO know how to cut the sprites up to animate them,do you?

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-23 11:00:18

At 7/23/03 06:44 AM, TOPBRICK wrote: i dont know if i am or not i went to site and got all these sheets whith pics am goner use them is that ok ...

The only problem I personally have with using video game sprites is that someone else created them and retains the copyrights to them. Mostly all of the sprite projects on NG use them which seems fine for now since none of the original owners seem to be complaining.

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-23 11:01:54

no.i thoght you dident have to animate them.i cant animate am only a noob.but i want to learn could you teach me pls

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-23 11:12:52

At 7/23/03 07:01 AM, TOPBRICK wrote: no.i thoght you dident have to animate them.i cant animate am only a noob.but i want to learn could you teach me pls

The answer to how to remove the white area from a sprite sheet is on Page 4 of this thread. You'll need to do this to make your sprites look slick against any background of your choosing.

The answer to how to animate them is on Page 5.

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-23 11:35:05

well i aint got fireworks and it says to use it.im using fireworks i use a cutting tool where you draw a rectangle round the sprite you want and it cuts out the rectangle you drew with the sprite in it but you still cant change the bitmaps backround so i need to create a new bit map through copy then i need to crop the copy then i can rub out the white backround and cut and paste the sprite into a new file which automatacly becomes the size of the sprite then i just save the single sprite and its ready for use

also what makes a sprite a sprite

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-23 11:51:22

At 7/23/03 07:35 AM, TOPBRICK wrote: well i aint got fireworks and it says to use it.

A tip on research - if you find a process that doesn't work for you, chances are someone else has a different process that's more fitting to your needs.

Go back to Page 4 and that entry that explains the Fireworks process. A few posts beneath that explains an easier way to do it in Flash. Good luck!

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-23 11:52:13

i want to join the this crew that allright if it is tell me what number i am

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-23 11:58:14

At 7/23/03 07:52 AM, TOPBRICK wrote: i want to join the this crew that allright if it is tell me what number i am

IncurableGimp is the head honcho of this club and he's made it so anyone who's interested can join. Allow me to be the first to say, "Welcome to the club!"

We don't deal in member numbers here because they don't make much sense. We're all equal members.

Response to Sprite Club 2003-07-23 12:49:08

Anyone know a good place for Backrounds?