00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

auto quality change Q (AS)

442 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

auto quality change Q (AS) 2006-08-05 07:52:14

Hello there!
I am just finishing off the introduction to my new flash series (I drew bubbles for two days) but when I watch one particular shot, the frame rate slows right down.
I know that there are some animations, which are very graphic intense, that automatically change the quality of a particular shot (from high to medium for example) so that the animation runs smoother.
I know absolutely nothing about actionscript (other than how to make a replay button :) and so have no idea how this is done.
-- if you could help me out with some action script for changing the quality automatically I would be very happy! (it has to change back as well preferably)

info -- the part in question is on scene 2 and is frames 472 - 517

THANKYOU!!

BBS Signature

Response to auto quality change Q (AS) 2006-08-05 07:53:55

Flash also has a command which will automatically detect movie framerate and adjust the quality if the framerate drops.
Personally, I don't like this too much, but it's there as an option. Just bung the action on the first frame of your movie.

_root._quality='autohigh';

Taken from:

AS: Quality Toggling

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to auto quality change Q (AS) 2006-08-05 07:56:35

Will that effect every scene and every layer or just the scene and layer that is placed on?

Thanks for your help

BBS Signature

Response to auto quality change Q (AS) 2006-08-05 07:58:38

At 8/5/06 07:56 AM, Jickson wrote: Will that effect every scene and every layer or just the scene and layer that is placed on?

I'd imagine it'd effect the whole flash.

BBS Signature

Response to auto quality change Q (AS) 2006-08-05 08:02:30

At 8/5/06 07:58 AM, Kirk_Cocaine wrote:
At 8/5/06 07:56 AM, Jickson wrote: Will that effect every scene and every layer or just the scene and layer that is placed on?
I'd imagine it'd effect the whole flash.

I just tried that but the problem is still there -- It isn't as bad but it is still noticeable - is there any way to make it more sensitive (or would that just make it annoying)

BBS Signature

Response to auto quality change Q (AS) 2006-08-05 08:07:28

At 8/5/06 08:02 AM, Jickson wrote: I just tried that but the problem is still there -- It isn't as bad but it is still noticeable - is there any way to make it more sensitive (or would that just make it annoying)

Not that I know of. You could just try setting the quality to low at the part that lags, I suspose. Read the thread, if you already haven't, it should give you some ideas.

BBS Signature

Response to auto quality change Q (AS) 2006-08-05 08:10:12

At 8/5/06 08:07 AM, Kirk_Cocaine wrote: Not that I know of. You could just try setting the quality to low at the part that lags, I suspose. Read the thread, if you already haven't, it should give you some ideas.

which thread is that?
when you say just change the quality do you mean manually (as I'm watching it) or is there some way to do that through AS?

BBS Signature

Response to auto quality change Q (AS) 2006-08-05 08:13:02

At 8/5/06 08:10 AM, Jickson wrote: which thread is that?

The thread I linked you to.

when you say just change the quality do you mean manually (as I'm watching it) or is there some way to do that through AS?

Do it via AS.

_quality = "LOW";

Or maybe add a Quality Toggle Button. Some people will have better computers than others.

BBS Signature