00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted emoloser supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Review Request Club

300,563 Views | 6,215 Replies

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-12 14:26:45

I've been thinking about it, and I've thought of something that may boost activity in this club. I will probably be starting a ranking system for the club based on points. Here is what I have so far:

5 points for a review on a requested movie/game
7 points for a review on a requested audio
+1 point for putting "Review Request Club" at the bottom of a requested review
+3 points for writing a long review (10+ lines)
+5 points for wirting an in-depth review (breakdown of all score components..graphics, sound, etc.)
3 points for each non-spam (I determine) post
3 points for requesting reviews (must have been submitted within time of last update)
5 points for referring a new member (must mention you in first post)
5 points for reviewing all requests for that week

Along with a ranking system derived from these points, I will also implement top reviewer, poster, etc for each week.

If anyone has anything they'd like to add please do say. If everything goes as planned, the contest will start next sunday!

S&Box, the game Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-12 15:45:08

At 12/12/06 02:26 PM, milinko959 wrote: I've been thinking about it, and I've thought of something that may boost activity in this club. I will probably be starting a ranking system for the club based on points. Here is what I have so far:

Sounds Pimp, Remeber that Turd of the RRC I sugested a while ago, that was so bad...

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-12 15:46:00

I have an idea!

Everytime your review a flash, you get a response.

Oh wait...
Lol, just kidding.

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-12 15:51:59

At 12/12/06 02:26 PM, milinko959 wrote: I've been thinking about it, and I've thought of something that may boost activity in this club. I will probably be starting a ranking system for the club based on points. Here is what I have so far:

Sounds promising, I'm sorry that I haven't really been active, I've just been really busy with schoolwork and the PS empire, I'll try to get some reviews in during the NGDD competition.

cos shotgun bullets are bad for yo health.

{+}dA{-}LASTFM

paypal

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-12 15:54:04

This idea might just work. It also could possibly make me review more. :/

Guinness Book of World Record holder for the game Blur on Xbox 360, NG's Legendary Member.

Click my sig to see the best Newgrounds flash EVA! Give it a review as well. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-12 17:55:28

At 12/12/06 01:14 PM, HumptyTomato wrote: Hey guys, could you review my submission please :) thanks!

done

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-12 18:23:17

At 12/12/06 01:14 PM, HumptyTomato wrote: Hey guys, could you review my submission please :) thanks!

I'll do it soon.

Milinko, that sounds like a good idea, but I advise you take off some of those points. There's a lot going on in there that I may forget something. Ah well, do what you want.

On another note, just wrote my 500th flash review! Now just 500 more.

Xbox Live Gamertag: POTM

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-12 21:13:23

At 12/12/06 06:23 PM, Hemlok wrote:
I'll do it soon.

Milinko, that sounds like a good idea, but I advise you take off some of those points. There's a lot going on in there that I may forget something. Ah well, do what you want.

Which ones would you suggest taking off? I'm open to any suggestions.

Congratulations! Keep up the good work.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-12 22:47:07

At 12/12/06 09:13 PM, milinko959 wrote:
At 12/12/06 06:23 PM, Hemlok wrote:
I'll do it soon.

Which ones would you suggest taking off? I'm open to any suggestions.

Well I would take out the requesting reviews one since some people don't have things to request (like me!) Also, posting Review Request Club at the bottom of a review just seems too easy, not much skill in that. If that non-spam one is about posts then I think you should take that out since that has nothing to do with reviews. These are just suggestions, you made up the idea, you can do whatever the hell you want.

Congratulations! Keep up the good work.

Thanks, I'm doing my best.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-12 22:49:50

At 12/12/06 10:47 PM, Hemlok wrote:

Also, posting Review Request Club at the bottom of a review just seems too easy, not much skill in that.

Well it shows that you took the extre time to do something for the club.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-13 09:51:20

At 12/12/06 10:49 PM, Imacow wrote:
At 12/12/06 10:47 PM, Hemlok wrote: Also, posting Review Request Club at the bottom of a review just seems too easy, not much skill in that.
Well it shows that you took the extre time to do something for the club.

Yeah, that's basically my reason for it. If people see that at the bottom of a review, they will hear about the club and request reviews or continue to do so. I guess what I could do is make the point values of everything else higher so that is less significant. But then again, I'm always forgetting to write it >.<

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-13 11:06:36

Seems a good idea. But are we gonna keep track of our own points? If one person is to do it all, it'd be a lot of work...

definitely.

understandable.

hmm... yeah. Fair enough. Can see the logic.

I don't think a 'long review' should be measured in lines. I mean, maybe 10 of my lines aren't worth someone else's 10 lines? (As I break up the points, using sometimes just a few chars/line).

I still like my own deinition of a 'good review': at least one positive remark, one suggestion/negative point/overall summary. Although I appreciate that can be done in mebbe even one line: gfx sucked, interesting name. Boring.

I suppose it's OK, but the lack of a measure of quality rankles a bit.

Some are concise. It's easy to be verbose, harder to ensure reviews are meaningful.

+5 points for wirting an in-depth review (breakdown of all score components..graphics, sound, etc.)

I don't personally consider explicit breakdown of all the score components really necessary or always beneficial.

graphics: I liked it slightly. 6.
style: I disliked it slightly. 4.
etc... means nothing.

Or even, being less of a pedantic fucker, to write:

graphics: clean. nice colours.
style: lacks personality
sound: poor compression
violence: some blood...
interactivity: Nothing beyond basic requirements.
humour: made me chuckle

It just seems pointless. I dunno, this just kinda seems like forcing a review-style upon folk. I suppose I can appreciate that in doing this, most reviewers would be adding a few thoughts to most of their reviews. But most ratings are self-explanatory. I think it should be encouraged for folk to critique stuff such as level-design, plot and game mechanics that aren't listed as numbers.

I'd definitely be in disagreement with this. This isn't meant to be a social club - it's the review request club. If the aim of the club is about the requesting and the reviewing, I don't see why we should get credit for posting.

Maybe 3 points a week if you post once that week to 'check-in', or something along those lines?

Anything beyond that would really be asking for trouble.

Or, if we're counting our own score, maybe 5-10 points for tallying our own score correctly (maybe with a break-down)? Maybe doing it once a week or whatever? It'd help keep this at the top of the C&C board, which I think is the only advantage of encouraging random posts, whilst also helping this possibly system to work and encourage participation and interest from all.

3 points for requesting reviews (must have been submitted within time of last update)

I really would disagree with this. I mean, the principle isn't to ask us for reviews to pump up some stat. I'd like to think that the folk requesting reviews simply want more feedback on how to improve, or to simply know what folk think of their work.

This'd obviously benefit me next year, as I'm preparing for a massive stream of submissions. But seriously, it just seems to me like folk should simply continue to request reviews for stuff they want feedback on. Lack of requests isn't a very real problem with this club.

It's the lack of reviews that is.

How do you define a new member? If it's someone that reviews, and inserts a ~~Review Request Club~~ tag, then that's fair enough, I suppose...

5 points for reviewing all requests for that week

Makes sense.

Along with a ranking system derived from these points, I will also implement top reviewer, poster, etc for each week.

Might be interesting.

If anyone has anything they'd like to add please do say. If everything goes as planned, the contest will start next sunday!

Well, some other conditions need to be added. Are we only crediting for reviews of requests that week? Can we gain points for reviews of old requests, or of requesters' other submissions? To get the +5 for 'all that week', do we have a time limit?

Despite my concerns though, I'm totally in favour of this idea, generally speaking.

Should help appeal to folk's competitive spirit.

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-13 12:19:27

Seeing as I'm too puny at flash to do anything but review may I join and Review peoples Flashes?

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-13 12:56:53

At 12/13/06 11:06 AM, Bezman wrote:
I don't think a 'long review' should be measured in lines. I mean, maybe 10 of my lines aren't worth someone else's 10 lines? (As I break up the points, using sometimes just a few chars/line).

I still like my own deinition of a 'good review': at least one positive remark, one suggestion/negative point/overall summary. Although I appreciate that can be done in mebbe even one line: gfx sucked, interesting name. Boring.

A good point...I didn't really consider a review style like yours, I guess I was more thinking about one like mine, where I just write in paragraphs, but it would be hard to determine a good and bad review. I think I will take that out for now.

I don't personally consider explicit breakdown of all the score components really necessary or always beneficial.

etc... means nothing.

Well, I wouldn't give points for that sort of thing, I'm not going to encourage stuff like that. If one gives a breakdown of those categories, and writes ways to improve each, I am still willing to give points, but something like that example is not going to get you points.

I'd definitely be in disagreement with this. This isn't meant to be a social club - it's the review request club. If the aim of the club is about the requesting and the reviewing, I don't see why we should get credit for posting.

Maybe 3 points a week if you post once that week to 'check-in', or something along those lines?

Anything beyond that would really be asking for trouble.

Ok, I like that idea better. I don't want the club to be a bunch of crappy chatting, so I will adopt that new rule that you have suggested.

I really would disagree with this. I mean, the principle isn't to ask us for reviews to pump up some stat. I'd like to think that the folk requesting reviews simply want more feedback on how to improve, or to simply know what folk think of their work.

Definitely something I will think about...especially now that I think of it, most of the people who make requests don't come back, and likely wouldn't care about gaining any points.

Well, some other conditions need to be added. Are we only crediting for reviews of requests that week? Can we gain points for reviews of old requests, or of requesters' other submissions? To get the +5 for 'all that week', do we have a time limit?

The time limit will be like this: I post the update on sunday, and you have until the following saturday (day before the next update) for any points to be counted. So then the next week will show the points accumulated from the previous week. I will be keeping track of everyone's score...it doesn't seem to be a very large job thus far.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-13 14:30:43

Hey again! Could you guys please review any of my audio! Thanks! Happy see ---> =D

Pestiside can't kill me!

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-13 15:57:28

At 12/13/06 12:56 PM, milinko959 wrote:
A good point...I didn't really consider a review style like yours, I guess I was more thinking about one like mine, where I just write in paragraphs, but it would be hard to determine a good and bad review. I think I will take that out for now.

Maybe you could say that incomplete lines (including those at the end of a paragraph) are gonna be worth 0.5 lines? Just an idea. If you really wanted to do that.

etc... means nothing.
Well, I wouldn't give points for that sort of thing, I'm not going to encourage stuff like that. If one gives a breakdown of those categories, and writes ways to improve each, I am still willing to give points, but something like that example is not going to get you points.

My main point was that it's just a reviewing style. Sometimes an alternate style can be just as, if not more, useful to the author. Rewarding one style over another seems iffy to me.

Ok, I like that idea better. I don't want the club to be a bunch of crappy chatting, so I will adopt that new rule that you have suggested.

cool.

The time limit will be like this: I post the update on sunday, and you have until the following saturday (day before the next update) for any points to be counted. So then the next week will show the points accumulated from the previous week. I will be keeping track of everyone's score...it doesn't seem to be a very large job thus far.

Why not just make it until the next update?

In any case: fair enough.

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-13 17:51:02

You know its been about three months since my name was blackplastic.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-13 19:33:39

At 12/13/06 05:51 PM, Punk-Plastic wrote: You know its been about three months since my name was blackplastic.

If I remember I will change it next update. I never check for that sort of thing.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-17 15:29:39

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/354611 Funny little movie I think deserves more credit. Check it out.

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-17 15:35:18

At 12/17/06 03:29 PM, Ying-yong wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/354611 Funny little movie I think deserves more credit. Check it out.

Just reviewed it. Please respond.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-17 20:11:01

Made a christmas animation, got a decent score but VERY little views/reviews. Please review thanks, ANd if you got time submit to collection so it can get more reviews. :D

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-18 06:17:31

At 12/17/06 08:11 PM, Bretherin wrote: Made a christmas animation, got a decent score but VERY little views/reviews. Please review thanks, ANd if you got time submit to collection so it can get more reviews. :D

You have a link for that???

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-18 15:38:49

Sorry for missing the update yesterday, I just completely forgot about it :S I will do it later tonight, along with the new point/ranking system!

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-18 15:50:02

At 12/18/06 03:38 PM, milinko959 wrote: Sorry for missing the update yesterday, I just completely forgot about it :S I will do it later tonight, along with the new point/ranking system!

Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

I haven't been reviewing as much as I would hope lately so hopfully this new system will get us all more active.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-18 17:26:15

At 12/18/06 03:38 PM, milinko959 wrote: Sorry for missing the update yesterday, I just completely forgot about it :S I will do it later tonight, along with the new point/ranking system!

Sweet, can't wait to see that system. I haven't really been reviewing as much as I would like, but I guess that's my fault.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-18 20:39:44

At 12/17/06 03:29 PM, Ying-yong wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/354611 Funny little movie I think deserves more credit. Check it out.

Please only request reviews if you are the author of the submission.

Ok, Update Part 1:

List of authors requesting reviews (Flash):
mothballs
MedMapGuy
frozensheep
drumunit
TurdMuffin
TommyGun
killergold2
Frenzy
IZSBHR
LuckyLollipopLad
Frax
Neimand
Dekus
Jonimator
GregThorne
Pigmash
xthesnarfx
HomerDough
Stagnant
Bretherin

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-18 20:42:03

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-18 20:48:03

And finally, here is the point system for our new ranking system, which will be first posted next sunday. You have until I post the next update to be eligible for these points. I've gotten rid of extra points for quality reviews, since that would be hard to determine and would create conflict. If anyone has suggestions or improvements, please do tell.

3 points for posting at least once throughout the week
7 points for reviewing all requests for that week

In addition to a point ranking, I will have a list of the top 10 members listed by percent of requests filled, so don't miss any!

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-18 20:50:36

Nice update Milinko

At 12/18/06 08:48 PM, milinko959 wrote: 5 points for a review on a requested movie/game

Thats sounds resonable. I think you should have more then 7 for doing all the flashes for that week since its the same as 1 audio review.

In addition to a point ranking, I will have a list of the top 10 members listed by percent of requests filled, so don't miss any!

Is that all request ever requested or percent requested that week?

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2006-12-18 20:51:36

At 12/18/06 08:48 PM, milinko959 wrote: And finally, here is the point system for our new ranking system, which will be first posted next sunday. You have until I post the next update to be eligible for these points. I've gotten rid of extra points for quality reviews, since that would be hard to determine and would create conflict. If anyone has suggestions or improvements, please do tell.

So it doesn't start this week?

Good list. It's going to be hard to review all of the requested ones for me.

Cool, this is great. Thanks for taking your time to make the list and this Milinko!

BBS Signature