00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LOCKdev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Midi Controllers

3,167 Views | 43 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Midi Controllers 2006-04-13 12:33:18

Does anyone here like to use keyboards or MIDI controllers to help there music?

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-13 12:54:25

me.

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-13 13:05:23

me too.

Wanna hear some fuckin fast guitar playing? CLICK HERE!

BBS Signature

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-13 13:54:30

At 4/13/06 12:33 PM, wavedude101 wrote: Does anyone here like to use keyboards or MIDI controllers to help there music?

yup. I use an Edirol PCR-30 - inexpensive but very versatile - it's been replaced by the PCRM30 which has a few extra features.

I highly recommend picking one up if you can. It'll make a HUGE difference in ease of composition.

BBS Signature

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-13 19:25:48

yes. i really want creatives's prodikeys. it's a normal computer keyboard, but it has a 30ish key piano added on.

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-13 19:34:50

Lots of people use midi controlers in a way that most songs sound like fake and artificial, playd with to straight tempos... I never use midi first because I'm not used to (that's not a very valid argument:P), second because songs loose its natural touch. HOWEVER (and this is for all of you "one man show" guys/girls) it is useful for mechanic or constant background, like a set of strummed chords (never, never, never used midi as main... god that really sucks, and you guys know what I'm talking about I'm sure). Instead of using a midi to audio converter I would advise real-time recording for each track - it makes a difference when you mix all together... not that I'm an expert myself but I have had a bit of the studio spotlight experience so you see a few things... and learn none :P

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-13 19:47:31

Yeah, I use a M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro Midi Controller.
Got the size of a piano, plus alot of knobs and sliders.
And the pitch and mod wheel works =)

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-13 20:02:26

I use an M-Audio Radium 61 key controller. I want a smaller one I can have right in front of me together with my computer keyboard. It gets annoying when I have to turn sideways every time I want to test a sound.

BBS Signature

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-13 20:12:07

I don't have a MIDI controller. :(

I WANT ONE

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-13 21:17:24

Yea I found my yamaha keyboard for 24 dollars at a rummage sale. Its crappy but it works. I am saving up for a new one.

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-13 22:37:19

At 4/13/06 07:34 PM, Chungadaddy wrote: Lots of people use midi ...I never use midi ...(never, never, never used midi as main...
you guys know what I'm talking about I'm sure

Not really... actually no, not at all - I really don't know what you're talking about... ? ...

I think you might be talking about the typically cheap-ass sounding .MID files. Yes they are MIDI but that doesn't mean that all, or even most music made with a MIDI controller sounds like that.

Example - I use a MIDI controller and I really don't think that any of my stuff sounds "fake and artificial" or "playd with to straight tempos" and as far as losing it's "natural touch" I'd have to disagree there too.

You mentioned a MIDI to Audio converter ... I think you're talking about a utility that will create a .WAV or .MP3 from a .MID - Yes, those suck - absolutely - but they have nothing to do with a MIDI controller...

Maybe we're talking about two different things - I don't know - I'm willing to give you the benefit of doubt.

MIDI controllers kick much ass - get one if you can, it beats the hell out of composing with a mouse!

BBS Signature

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-14 06:01:39

At 4/13/06 07:34 PM, Chungadaddy wrote: Lots of people use midi controlers in a way that most songs sound like fake and artificial, playd with to straight tempos...

If you've used FL, Reason, Cubase, Acid... well.. ANYTHING, you have used MIDI. MIDI, or Musical Instrument Digital Interface is the standard for hardware interaction for music software, and .mid files are the standard of interchangeabe data between software.

My latest two songs, March and Angels were composed entirely in midi, in Sibelius as a matter of fact, but I impoted the midi into reason and worked from it there.

Also, MIDI is fully capable of dynamic tempo changes and storing controller data.

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-14 08:38:33

At 4/14/06 06:01 AM, Khuskan wrote:

If you've used FL, Reason, Cubase, Acid... well.. ANYTHING, you have used MIDI. MIDI, or Musical Instrument Digital Interface is the standard for hardware interaction for music software, and .mid files are the standard of interchangeabe data between software.

I've used cubase in audio recording not through a midi controler... not that the result was all that great to be honest but nonetheless its different.

At 4/13/06 10:37 PM, LJCoffee wrote: MIDI controllers kick much ass - get one if you can, it beats the hell out of composing with a mouse!

See, perhaps we are talking about different things.I don't compose with a mouse. Maybe I should... it gives a lot less headaches.
I've checked some of your stuff over time and I'll give you that you have some very smooth and properly mixed tracks but you can still tell that it was computer made can't you? I guess it all depends on what you wanna use it for. But anyway let me rephrase it: most can't use them. and I still think it is quite useful and I've heard about some very good mods but can only post about what I do know, and this is my opinion based on my experience.
I'll equally give you the benefit of a doubt. Perhaps you have also composed stuff without a mouse.

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-14 08:42:11

^

Let's just leave it. This guy obviously doesn't have a clue :P

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-14 11:05:17

At 4/14/06 08:42 AM, jarrydn wrote: Let's just leave it. This guy obviously doesn't have a clue :P

Yeah there's a communication breakdown somewhere - Oh well, with the impending hurricanes and all, I hear that the price of clues is about to double so anyone who doesn't already have a few laying around is going to be SOL.

I have a box of them in the closet, I try to hand them out here and there to people who seem to need one - but from what I've seen, people that already have one usually don't need another - and people who don't have one already usually refuse to accept any that are offered... a shame really...

BBS Signature

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-14 15:15:52

Trying to ignore the black hole of miscommunication, just based on a guess of how it used to be for you guys, how much time did or does a MIDI controller save you during production of a song?

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-14 17:37:25

At 4/14/06 03:15 PM, AdmiralConquistador wrote: how much time did or does a MIDI controller save you during production of a song?

Well, tough to nail it down to an exact figure but I'd guesstimate that production times were cut down to about 60% or so...

I personally think it makes a huge difference - but I'm sure everyone has differing opinions on the matter.

BBS Signature

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-14 17:46:24

I'm glad I don't use a MIDI controller... I may be able to play piano, but if you gave me a MIDI keyboard to hook up and play my melodies to, then my music would suck.

Royally.

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-14 18:30:55

Not yet...my music teacher is going to lend me an uber-leet sequencer mathing (roland I think)

*giggles in glee*

a

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-14 18:38:48

plus the ease of automating things, the creativity it spawns since you can perform a melody, not to mention you get to practice playing a piano, albeit a small one, I NEED ONE

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-14 19:22:38

At 4/14/06 06:38 PM, AdmiralConquistador wrote: plus the ease of automating things, the creativity it spawns since you can perform a melody, not to mention you get to practice playing a piano, albeit a small one, I NEED ONE

It will save you loads of time, and in some cases if done correctly will bring some of your melodies more alive. When doing stuff in a normal sequencer things will at times sound very dull, whilst if you know how to play the piano/keyboard you can do some amazing things without spending ages.

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-15 02:35:49

At 4/14/06 07:22 PM, XGM-Zeth wrote: if you know how to play the piano/keyboard you can do some amazing things without spending ages.

I second that - how many of you guys who sequence with a mouse spend any time at all adjusting the velocity of each individual note - with a MIDI controller it's a hell of a lot more intuitive. And then there are things like Aftertouch which are easy enough with a controller but a pain in the ass manually.

Plus, for programs that support it, once you've gotten your melody created you can do a second pass and make any other adjustments like Frequency, Resolution, Cutoff, various rates, etc. ALL at once in real time - assuming that you have a controller with the necessary knobs and sliders. - Again - MUCH more intuitive - much easier and MUCH faster.

DJ_Zion:
You say you're glad that you don't use one?? why??? what advantage does not using a MIDI controller have - I've done it all both ways and I can't think of any - but please give me your opinion though because it's possible that I'm just not seeing it from your point of view.

by now it's obvious that I'm a MIDI Controller super-mega-ultra-advocate.

AdmiralConquistador:
ebay man! ebay! the edirol 30 series are small , easy to use, have a ton of features and are pretty inexpensive. check out www.zzounds.com for decent prices on all types of music gear - they're pretty easy to deal with too , I've bought a bunch of stuff from them and I've never been less than satisfied

BBS Signature

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-15 03:27:34

Wow, this realy got somwhere!

Right now, mines not doing anything, I dont have a program to hook it into. It came with cakewalk, but it sucks. I wana get reason, but its so much money. But, Ill get it somhow.

Does anyone try to get a record deal with there music?

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-15 05:16:05

I've seen reason 3.0 at prices as low as $170 on e-bay and the like. It's worth shopping around.

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-15 09:17:41

I have a M-Audio Keystation 49e. I've had it for quite a while and decided that in actual fact, it was useless for controlling synth parameters (having only pitch/mod/one fader on it).

So I decided to do one hell of an upgrade to a Novation ReMOTE 61SL. Yes, the beast with 2 LCD screens. Can't wait until I get it, should be here next week if all goes to plan. :-)

I use Reason 3.0 on a Mac Mini.

> twitter.

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-15 09:19:09

I think the M-Audio Axiom 25 looks damn cool, and it's cheap. I'd like an x y pad too.

BBS Signature

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-15 09:36:09

Oh, and check out this video demonstration of the Korg padKONTROL at NAMM. Looks awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-15 09:46:25

At 4/15/06 09:36 AM, Metalcan wrote: Oh, and check out this video demonstration of the Korg padKONTROL at NAMM. Looks awesome.

Looks nice. :-)

Might swipe one later on.

> twitter.

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-15 11:14:20

At 4/15/06 09:36 AM, Metalcan wrote: Oh, and check out this video demonstration of the Korg padKONTROL at NAMM. Looks awesome.

Oh sorry it doesn't seem to work with explorer. I use firefox. :P

This should work. Just click the streaming video link.

BBS Signature

Response to Midi Controllers 2006-04-16 06:33:35

The Evolution MK449 is very good for the price. 4 octave range, lots of assignable knobs n sliders.

To the fool who "can tell its made on computer, cant you"

STFU

LOADS of music is made IN PROFFESIONAL STUDIOS USING CUBASE ON A PC.

Oh and before anyone rips into the controller based on my music, the controller is good, i'm just a BAD musician.