00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Heln966 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Video Game Review Crew

36,200 Views | 705 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-01-31 21:28:28

please don't steal the review if its open but has anyone reviewed RE4 on the PS2

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-01 17:03:56

I don't think so. I believe it is open for review.

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-01 20:15:25

RE4 on the PS2
this game is quite fun and i really liked it so lets get on with the review
GAMEPLAY
this is a third person shooter it a survial horror genere this game isn't scary really as it is good the aiming is the best i've seen since halo 2 all weapons have laser sights that help you aim. Each body part plays a key role if you shoot their arm they drop their weapon shoot their legand they fall shoot their head ... and you know the rest. the game is long it took me 33 hours to beat. there is a hard and normal mode there is alot of reasons why you should play the extra modes [assignment ada, seperate ways, mercenarys] because it will unlock special weapons in the main game the Ps2 ver also has new costumes and a new weapon and the new mode seperate ways which aren't in the gamecube version
GRAPHICS
amazing the best i have seen on the PS2 it looks almost identical to the GC ver only there is a minor problem glitches galore and some times bad collision detection but overall the glitches aren't bad
CONTROLS
they are alright but not perfect and the aiming is a litlle easier on the GC version but the only problems in the game is the controls they just don't have that warm good felling
SCORES
Gameplay:10
Graphics:9.5
Controls:7.5
overall:9.5

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-02 00:20:01

nice review.
also on the votes so far we have MGS2 and 3 and UC2 all tied at 1 vote. I think I might review MGS2 and 3 this weekend because I just beat them recently and I really liked them, unfortunatley UC2 is not as good but I will review it as well if I have time.
My plans for the upcoming days:
Friday: usual movie and dinner with parents. and also a chem quiz during the day
Saturday: I shouldnt stay up too late on friday because I have to get up at 7 to go sailing for my night PE class, then I have to go to my friends house to film a movie for chemistry involving special effects we learned so far. the filming will probably go far into the night.
Sunday: filming of the short film may continue, if not I'll get my reviews done then.

So yeah expect those reviews sometime around sunday, I'll try and remember, if not Im really sorry. also lott1 you need to get some more reviews in, you really havent done very many. so maybe if you could do 1 on thursday or friday that would be good so we can stay alive until sunday so I can get my reviews in.
also if anyone wants I can begin archiving all of the reviews on my website. I can do this 3 ways though. 1 is I can copy and paste everyones review and post them on my website (with everyones agreement of course) 2 is I can create a table of the titles, the authors, and the scores of every single review, or 3 both 1 and 2 at the same time. Personally I vote for 2 because it will be easiest on my hands and your eyes. But what I'll probably do is number 2 and then if I have time eventually I'll begin work on number 1. how's that sound?
thx,
-G.C.

I dropped out in the third grade, and spent all my time at the arcade.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-02 02:13:41

Lolllz thanks for the reviews gais now I know witch gaems too by. woo76

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-02 11:27:21

At 2/2/06 02:13 AM, the_lackluster_0n3 wrote: Lolllz thanks for the reviews gais now I know witch gaems too by. woo76

Im glad we could help. that's what we're here for!
hey guys! I changed my alias and my sig, hope you like it.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-02 16:03:50

since i made a review can i join

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-02 18:35:49

At 2/2/06 04:03 PM, conkerman wrote: since i made a review can i join

yeah. pretty much anyone can join as long as they respect everyone else.
let me post the rules for you in just a second.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-02 18:37:45

RULES FOR THE VGRC

----Joining----
To join, leave a review in the proper format. Try taking a game that has not been reviewed yet, or try taking an opposite standpoint.

----Conduct----
1.) No unneccesary flaming.
2.) Try posting up only requests, reviews, previews, and feedback. No spam.
3.) If your post doesn't contribute/help anyone in any way, don't post.

IMPORTANT: Posting reviews from other websites and/or magazines without giving proper credit is called plagiarism. It is illegal, and if anyone finds out, you will be banned. It has happened before.

----Review Structure----

GAME TITLE
Producer
Genre
Platform(s)

Part of game storyline, to show what the game is about.
Example: This game takes place in World War II. You are a soldier...

Explain the different aspects of the game, and any originality, plus what made the game good or bad.
Example: The controls were very slow.
Example 2: The way the game was laid out was very different than most games in this genre.

PROS TO GAME:
List 2-3

CONS TO GAME:
List 2-3

Score: Use any scale to score, within reason.

Bottom Line: This is where you put "Buy this game", "Rent this game", or "Leave it on the shelf"

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-02 20:30:00

okay, I guess I'll get this done much earlier then I thought

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Platform: Xbox
Konami

The Metal Gear titles have been around for a long time. and their popularity has grown immensly on the PS2. Now Konami has decided to introduce MGS2 to the Xbox. The game plays out much like the first and third one. You sneak around taking out guards covertly, trying not to get caught. At first you play as everyones 2nd favorite spy (1st being 007 ofcourse) on a mission to expose the navy for building a second Metal Gear. you have to sneak in to a big ship and take pictures of the new Metal Gear. but the story becomes much more elaborate as you play on, you encounter much of the same characters from MGS1 like Ocelot, whose right arm seems to be bothering him. But it seems this first mission is only a very long introduction. you end up playing through the rest of the game as another spy known as Raiden, this happens to be his first field mission.

The story is very long and Hideo Kojima has done extremely well at making it look like a movie. You really have to pay attention to the story and what people are saying, it makes the game really interesting. I really wish there were more games out there with storylines like the MGS series. The ending is also very neat, and opens up for many more sequals, which we know Hideo and Konami are making right now.

The graphics are pretty good as well. nothing extremely detailed, but you dont really notice when your focused completely on the story. the cutscenes are really good, and make the game look like a movie. During some of the cutscenes they integrate live footage to make it look even more like a movie.

The controls are a little bit wierd on the Xbox, but I got used to them really quick. equiping items is really quick and easy, but I wish it was easier to aim and shoot. in order to shoot accuratley, you have to switch to first person, and you cant move during then. It is possible to shoot in third person, but at times when the camera is directly above you its hard to shoot.

MGS2 features a large cast of characters, and a very good story. the game was well thought out and designed. the only big problem I could find was with the shooting in third person, other than that, this game is excellent.

Good
-feels very much like a movie
-very good story
-it will keep you entertained longer than most games

Bad
-shooting in third person was a little hard
-at times the story got a little boring and confusing

Score: 9.5/10
Bottome line: if all you have is an Xbox I think you should buy this

the Xbox version also comes with a ton of extra VR missions, and some other extra missions as well, and these are fun to play to improve your skill, and unlock extra stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-04 00:52:24

sweet reviews everyone! my review of Jak 3 will be coming up soon. I hope you're looking forward to it!

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-05 00:43:47

At 2/4/06 12:52 AM, campingcarl wrote: sweet reviews everyone! my review of Jak 3 will be coming up soon. I hope you're looking forward to it!

I sure am!
Im looking foward to what you have to say about it. maybe once I beat the second one and save up some cash I'll buy it.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-11 22:47:45

OH NOES! SRRY I TOOK SO LONG! (don't ban me! @_O) lolz! anyway here is my Jak 3 review...

JAK 3
Producer: Naughty Dog(one of my faves)
Genre: Action/Adventure/KICK-ASS!
Platforms: Playstation 2

Jak is back(again)! Along with his loud-mouthed friend Daxter and they're out to save the world(again). After the defeat of The Metal Head Leader, there was still plenty of trouble to deal with. Robots all over and metal heads as well! An extreme 3-way battle and things are looking grim for the city. To make matters worse, the only one who can stop it, a.k.a. Jak, has been banished to the wastelands outside of the city because the people of the city blamed Jak for all that had happened. What a way to thank someone huh? As you may have noticed, I only said Jak. Daxter and friends had tried to help but to no avail. Anyway, as the ship that carried Jak dropped him off and left, they left behind some stowaways: Daxter and Pecker. So now Jak, Daxter, and Pecker are stranded in the wastelands. I won't tell you how they make it out of it or who the new metal head leader is either. All I'll tell you is that it will be one helluva ride!

Probably THE best game in existence! Jak is back with more vehicles, more guns, and more eco-charged POWAH!!! One thing about this game is that it hasn't really changed much from the original in terms of gameplay. However, I consider that a plus because I loved the Jak 2 gameplay and hoped it wouldn't change much. This time around, Jak is able to charge with light eco when you get far enough in the game! It was teh sweet PWNAGE! Light healing, time slow, light shield, and being able to FLY! I noticed that Dark Jak isn't the same either. He can now learn the Dark Strike instead of the Dark Giant ability. I kinda liked the giant, but the strike PWNED too much for me to care.
Jak also has new rides as well. can you guess what the first one is? A high-tech war machine? An extreme racer? Nope, it's a leaper lizard! Yes, you can ride a lizard now! Lol. There are also a ton of cool vehicles to ride. One can superjump. Another has a built-in machine gun. And another has a crapload of armor! It is so satisfying to tear through desert badits with a machine gun :D. And finally, the most important part! The guns >:D! Yes, there is a plethorah of exploding/rapid-firing weapons in your arsenal this time around(OMFG! Big words! lol.)! You can have bouncing bullets! A wave concusser is a a nice bonus as well! The gyro-burster pwns above ALL except that it uses too much ammo :P. Now for the downsides........ well this section sure is empty, lol. Anyway, this is an awesome game. If you've never played a Jak game to begin with, play Jak 2 first or Jak 1, then Jak 2. Otherwise, this game's story will make about as much sence as an ostrich playing ragtime whilce balancing itself on a broomstick. Trust me, you'll want the story to make sence, because like everything in this game, it PWNS!

PROS TO GAME:
1.) Cool storyline that ties in with Jak 2 very well.
2.) Multiple guns and powers.
3.) Fun vehicles to play with.
4.) Free-roam game, pwn anywhere at anytime you feel like it!
5.) Challenging yet fun missions and mini-games.

CONS TO GAME:
None that I can think of, unless you're one of those that wanted the gameplay to change.

Score: I use my dark eco powahs to carve into this game a 5 out of 5!

Bottom Line: I suggest buying this game. Especially if you enjoyed Jak 2. You will laugh, you will cry, and you will laugh again when Daxter repeats(again) how he misses teh pantxorz!O_o

Video Game Review Crew

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-14 11:38:27

At 2/11/06 10:47 PM, campingcarl wrote: OH NOES! SRRY I TOOK SO LONG! (don't ban me! @_O) lolz! anyway here is my Jak 3 review...

uhm, dont worry about it. really nice review. one thing though, you acted very internet-y with all your pwnage and what not, you okay carl?

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-16 16:51:55

can i join? i've played soo many games in soo little time and i love criticizing them and melting the bad ones in the microwave (just kidding then i would have nothing to cook quick meals in)

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-17 17:28:49

At 2/14/06 11:38 AM, G-MAN_C wrote:
uhm, dont worry about it. really nice review. one thing though, you acted very internet-y with all your pwnage and what not, you okay carl?

yes.
<eye twitches>
why do you ask?
<explosion sounds>
<my hair sets on fire>
MEH 1337 PWNSXORZ!!!
<continues speaking 1337>

Video Game Review Crew

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-17 17:33:12

Hi. Can I join the crew. I love games and own a Xbox, PS2, Gamecube DS and PSP, so I have acess to loads of different games. I mostly buy either first person shooters or adventure games, but hate sport and driving ones. Also you guys seem realy friendly. So am I in?

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-17 17:40:16

In leet: 1|\| 0|2|)3|2 70 J01|\|, Y0(_) |-|4\/3 70 \\/\\/|2173 4 |23\/13\\/\\/ |=0|2 4 94//\//\3 1|\| 7|-|3 |O|20|O3|2 |=0|2//\//\47.

Translation: in order to join, you have to write a review for a game in the proper format.

In leet: |37\\/\\/ 9(_)Y5, //\//\Y |\|3><7 |23\/13\\/\\/ 15 (0//\//\1|\|9 500|\|!

Translation: BTW guys, my next review is coming soon!

<explodes from 1337 overload>

Video Game Review Crew

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-17 18:35:54

Here's a reveiw I wrote hope you like it...

Stubbs The Zombie In Reble Without A Pulse
Developer: Wideload Games
Publisher: Aspyr Genre: Action
Platforms: PC/Xbox

The story begins in Punchbowl City, a 1950's town that has advanced to the 21st century fifty years early. The city is a perfect paradise no crime, litter or hobo's for that matter and it's all thanks to one man Andrew Monday the mayor of the fine city. But one day a deceased traveling salesman by the name of Stubbs comes back, and is hungry for brains.
For anyone whos played the Halo series will have no trouble with the controls, and even newbies will find them easy to pick up and play. The simple training section at the begining of the game is easy to understand and tells you all you need to know. Stubbs has loads of special moves from exploding organs to a possesing hand.A good poin is if you beat up a human to the point where they're too stunned to fight back, you will be able to press the Y button to devour their delicious brain. Eating it obviously kills them, and it also refills some of your health meter and special attacks. a good feature is that humans that you kill will come back as zombie alies, provided that they were killed by a zombie melee attack, brain chew, or special attack. The zombie arn't the smartest of things but have some inteligence never the less. Stubbs had is nice and 'handy' (sorry for the pun, it lets you control you enimies so if you get sick of being a zombie it can be a shooter too, with a range of weapons from baseball bats to bazookas.
Even though the game is short it is not to be over looked as it is a instant clasic as the first of it's kind, and everything goes together perfectly. From the 50's clasic songs to the blood spraying from bitten heads. Ther is no hidden items or anything to increase replayability but the game come with different levels of skill, fully replayable levels and best of all a co-op mode wich let's you go through the one player stoy with your mates.

PROS TO GAME:
1.) It's unique
2.) Hilarious story and voices.
3.) Fun vehicles.
4.) Fun soundtrack
5.) Multiple special moves

CONS TO GAME:
1.) A bit on the short side 2.) Combat can be repetitive 3.) No hidden extras

Score: 8/10
Bottom Line: This is a good game that you should play but not for full retail. Try to pick it up at discount.

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-22 15:07:48

hello, i would like to join because this seems like its a good idea to review the game so if i could join let me know

Video Game Review Crew

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-24 12:23:47

hey mind if i join?

When life gives you lemons, be glad it didn't give you herpes.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-24 17:08:56

pay attention! you have to post a review to join! srry to yell, but seriously.

(in case you didn't notice, my 1337 episode has ended)

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-24 17:15:55

could someone review Sonic Riders and Sims 2 on the Gamecube, cause i NEED to know which i should buy cuz i only got $50 to spend so... help me plz

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-24 17:57:22

Hey can I join I am a massive gamer, although I mainly play gamecube games ill play nearly just about everything.

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-25 00:23:38

At 2/24/06 05:57 PM, CrazyBoomerang wrote: Hey can I join I am a massive gamer, although I mainly play gamecube games ill play nearly just about everything.

Battalion wars: gamecube only
Poducer: Kuju
Genere: Half 3rd person shooter Half stratagy (wow weird right?)
Story: Battalion wars world is a world of massive countries. You are an elite commander for the Western frontier. Your countrie is in high tension with the Tundran Empire your neighboring country. Luckily there new emporor wishes for peace so peace will come right? wrong!! You catch spies in your base and an assoult troup in your own country! Therefore war breaks out. But a third ( and eventually fourth and then fifth) seem to be incolved. Will you ally with the Tundrans or will you do it on your own the choice is yours! (not really but that sounds cool you dont have a choice)Note: the final cut scene is cheasy and hints a sequal yay!
Units: this game pretty much is one unique and insanely fun game. You take command of a squad you can controll 6 different type of men such as flame vets buzookas gernaders and rifelmen (plus more) 7 armor grund units from the swift light recon to the heavy tank, and everyones fav. the Battletation ( it has the power of 3 heavy tanks, and the machine gun power of 4 assoult vets and the armor of well... its uncomparable maybe 20 heavy tanks. Its is slow and vulneravle by air but an anti-air armor thingy can take care of dat) and you can controll 4 plains/ chopers ( not including the T-compter that you never get to controll) From choppers,bombers,fighters, and the own plane to rule them all the strato destroyer( you only get it on 1 mission so I cant describe it that well... lets just say ounce I got it I won the level.
Controlls: really hard to learn how to switch between units at first but since the level difficultys are some what ( depending on what your better at strategy or shooting) well ordered you can master them by maybey the 2nd-3rd-4th level I got them by the second but I know people who didnt get it till the fourth. After you get the controlls down you relize how well and usefull they are.
Graphics: you ather hate them or love them. They dio go great with the game though I personally like them.
Rewards/if you ger them: This game doesnt have rewards for beating the game, you get rewards for beating the game well. Your rank for level depends on three things Speed, Power, and technique. the game is devided in 4 section. The first two you need an average rank in all the levels in that section ( for section 1-3 you need 85 in section 4 you need 90) In the levels you get to play as the bad guys and have a Hell of a good time. these are extremely fum missions. The best mission ever is the section 4 bounuse missions because you get to play as *spoiler block* and mand tons of new equipment. FUN FUN FUN FUN
How the gameplay works: you get to controll an entire squad you can switch from soldier to soldeir for a variety of unique missions. If the soldier you controll dies you just switch back to another living soldeir. each men can own another type of men for instance flame vets can own any infantry faster than a speeding bullet ( especially when you ambush them) but it cant damage armor or planes.
Pros
Very unique
Great story
Missions have a range of objectives
Great Rewards
good controlls ounce you get used to them
Big variety of all units
All units can ve oned by another ( yes the battlestation can be killed by a chopper)
Balances a perferct amount of stratagy AND shooting
Well balenced level selection
Men say relistic things on the battle feild such as " whats the mission I missed the breifing"
Computer are smart but not imposiblt smart
relistic
Ending hints a sequal YAY
Levels can be played over and over again
Cons:
Controlls difficult at first
No multiplayer/co-op Note: me and my freinds do have a kinda like co-op thing we sometimes do we controll men by menn and send them 1 by 1 into the battlefield it isnt that great but better than nothin
Story/acting:9 great story but needs less cheasy ending
Units: 10 great variety
Controlls:10 They coulnt have made it simple in the end you will be so happy that they made it this way
Graphics: 10 personal tast
Rewards:10 sooooo much fun I would DIE without them
Gameplay: 10 smooth and a great twist of suprise Note: make the game last longer never ever ever ever use the map they give you it tells you the enemys position although it becomes in accurate when *spoiler Block* so yah I used it and it would be hard without it only do this for extra fun and challenge.
Overall: 10 I wish I could give it more then 10 pure genius
Sugestion: if you have a Game cube buy it , it is almost if not as good as RE4. If you dont have a Game Cube then pray to god they'll make it for whatever system that isnt as good as the gamecube makes it.
( Yay my 1st reveiw is fin. I'm going to apoligize forhand incase some one allready did this but I checked (skimmed) and I didnt see it so sorry if you did.)

Video Game Review Crew

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-26 20:25:16

At 2/24/06 05:15 PM, Flyer3 wrote: could someone review Sonic Riders and Sims 2 on the Gamecube, cause i NEED to know which i should buy cuz i only got $50 to spend so... help me plz

it would depend. if you're into racing, hedgehogs, and etc then get Sonic Riders. if you like Sims games a whole lot though, get that. I would suggest about 10 other games that I think are better than both but you asked only of those 2. also...

THAT POST DOESN'T BELONG HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-02-28 19:10:38

uhm I havnt recived any comformation at all about if I am can join ( I have the review on battalion wars) so can some 1 please just tell me allready......soon perhaps like in 1-3 days or something god!

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-03-05 21:05:05

bump

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-03-05 21:28:56

At 3/5/06 09:05 PM, DtotheG wrote: bump

ok, it's things like that that get clubs locked. you could have done a low quality review on pac man or something to atleast make it look like it was more than a bump. Oh, and I havent seen CrimsonRocker since before Christmas, does any one know where she is? Hope she didnt get hurt on the Skiing trip I think she was supposed to go on.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2006-03-11 20:45:28

okay, sorry I've been gone for a while. Its really good to see all these new members and reviews. I might be able to get a review or two in this weekend but Im not sure. In april Im getting a job so I'll probably get a bunch of games and possibly save up to get a 360 Im not sure. perhaps a video iPod, but I'll deal with that when I have the money. I've been playing KotOR again this time on the dark side. could someone do me a favor and see if I already reviewed that, thx. continue reviewing, have fun, be safe.
thx,
-G.C.

BBS Signature