TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 18:03:01 Reply

This week's news...

"In a statement Monday, Vivendi said the U.S. Attorney's Office in New York opened a preliminary criminal investigation in coordination with the SEC in Miami, which had been conducting an informal inquiry of its own." -Reuters

So Vivendi (owner of Universal Studios) is in trouble for hiding their horrible finances. How ironic that one of our biggest film studios is owned by a French sewage company.

I had just read an unrelated article about Vivendi recently, in a piece about the privatization of water. Not many people talk about this, although it has been a big issue with the World Bank (they basically take control of third world water in order for those countries to pay off debts to the World Bank). The water here in Atlanta is privatized and is unsafe to drink (Philly water was no picnic either - but it was still much safer to drink than the water down here).

Our water in Atlanta is controlled by a company called United Water, owned by Suez. Suez and Vivendi are the two largest corporations with control over water. Around the world Vivendi has taken control of the water supplies in different parts of 100 countries! Can you imagine your water being some shady corporation's bottom line? Privatization was expected to have better results than government management, but so far it has been a huge failure.

Isn't this stuff interesting? :)

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
lil-Ginny
lil-Ginny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 18:07:08 Reply

At 11/5/02 06:03 PM, TomFulp wrote: This week's news...

"In a statement Monday, Vivendi said the U.S. Attorney's Office in New York opened a preliminary criminal investigation in coordination with the SEC in Miami, which had been conducting an informal inquiry of its own." -Reuters

So Vivendi (owner of Universal Studios) is in trouble for hiding their horrible finances. How ironic that one of our biggest film studios is owned by a French sewage company.

I had just read an unrelated article about Vivendi recently, in a piece about the privatization of water. Not many people talk about this, although it has been a big issue with the World Bank (they basically take control of third world water in order for those countries to pay off debts to the World Bank). The water here in Atlanta is privatized and is unsafe to drink (Philly water was no picnic either - but it was still much safer to drink than the water down here).

Our water in Atlanta is controlled by a company called United Water, owned by Suez. Suez and Vivendi are the two largest corporations with control over water. Around the world Vivendi has taken control of the water supplies in different parts of 100 countries! Can you imagine your water being some shady corporation's bottom line? Privatization was expected to have better results than government management, but so far it has been a huge failure.

drink booze instead of water, I went to mexico for a holiday and thats all i drank, French people drink a sheet load also, are they wrong?

Tool-Of-The-System
Tool-Of-The-System
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 18:18:58 Reply

At 11/5/02 06:07 PM, lil_Ginny wrote:

drink booze instead of water, I went to mexico for a holiday and thats all i drank, French people drink a sheet load also, are they wrong?

Hey some of the people wont be able to afford booze... so they'll resort to drinking their own piss.

DuMa-RyoHahn
DuMa-RyoHahn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 18:20:24 Reply

Yes very intersesting

Tool-Of-The-System
Tool-Of-The-System
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 18:21:54 Reply

BTW, Tom, you gonna put up new collections?

ChocolateChipClock
ChocolateChipClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 19:00:27 Reply

interesting, a little bit of the subject, but interesting.

Dobio
Dobio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 19:02:42 Reply

Sounds to me a lot like the John Rigas/Adephla Corp./Buffalo Sabres fiasco. How long do you bet before someone makes a flash movie on this stuff?

Still a world famous superstar.

viruscorpslll7
viruscorpslll7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 19:07:18 Reply

um...sure?

Slyvan1
Slyvan1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 19:28:09 Reply

u actually read this stuff.i rather sleep

TheSteelTyrant
TheSteelTyrant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 19:34:16 Reply

So capatlism is voted the best system of running things now known? When you kill someone to make money,its defeatist.

dragnas
dragnas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 19:35:34 Reply

Come on tom dont make me read, im to lazy whaaaa.

Tropicana
Tropicana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 19:50:14 Reply

This is my excuse for drinking nothing other than moutain dew (;

Pooplit
Pooplit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 19:58:05 Reply

Canada has 1/3 of the worlds fresh water, bitch

sMoK3-hOu5e
sMoK3-hOu5e
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 20:04:23 Reply

Yes, it is very interesting tho I could hardly give a damn cuz i dun live in the states...

Jaderaptor
Jaderaptor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 20:10:37 Reply

The water here in Atlanta is privatized and is unsafe to drink (Philly water was no picnic either - but it was still much safer to drink than the water down here).

....I live about 45 minutes southeast of chicago. I LOVE drinking the tap water. Cringe if you must, but we have one of the best water purification systems in the nation. We once had some company from Japan come out to study the plant, so they can build their own like it. Why do I drink the tap? I like the taste.

panchan
panchan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 20:14:20 Reply

sorry to change the subject .i wanted to ask if there is a way to speed up loading when i come here.because i dont know why but when i get here everything loads slower than usual...but your site is one of the best ive ever seen!!!!oh...and people i made upset about...anything...im really sorry^_^thanks 4 your time^_^

Viva Vivendi!

Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 20:28:25 Reply

Isn't this stuff interesting? :) Tom this water problem is bull shit I hope to God it fails Fucking government
DuMa-RyoHahn
DuMa-RyoHahn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 20:46:48 Reply

At 11/5/02 08:14 PM, panchan wrote:

sorry to change the subject .i wanted to ask if there is a way to speed up loading when i come here.because i dont know why but when i get here everything loads slower than usual...but your site is one of the best ive ever seen!!!!oh...and people i made upset about...anything...im really sorry^_^thanks 4 your time^_^

LOL it's aol users. we must ban them from NG. That way Ng becomes alot faster LOL

SolidSnake0986
SolidSnake0986
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 20:49:10 Reply

yeah tom...sooo interesting...WHERE THE HELL IS PICO 2???!!!.....DONT MAKE ME COME TO PHILLY WITH A LITTLE FRIEND OF MINE!!! J/K

Viva Vivendi!

Belive in the Black and Gold--GO STEELERS!!!!

BBS Signature
Tropicana
Tropicana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 21:50:34 Reply

At 11/5/02 08:49 PM, SolidSnake0986 wrote: yeah tom...sooo interesting...WHERE THE HELL IS PICO 2???!!!.....DONT MAKE ME COME TO PHILLY WITH A LITTLE FRIEND OF MINE!!! J/K

Damn im getting annoyed with you people you know how many people have asked this question shut your fucking holes for god sakes it proably wont come out this year by the way ALEAIN HOMID ROCKS PICOS BOXERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stupid mr level 2

HardcoreChristmas
HardcoreChristmas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 22:24:02 Reply

Where did you dig this up?

HardcoreChristmas
HardcoreChristmas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 22:24:03 Reply

Where did you dig this up?

HardcoreChristmas
HardcoreChristmas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 22:25:39 Reply

At 11/5/02 10:24 PM, Lpmofo wrote: Where did you dig this up?

W00t double post!

Hikitsuri
Hikitsuri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 23:10:54 Reply

The water down here (Baton Rouge, Louisiana) is supposedly some of the best in country or something. Its clean and doesnt taste in any way bitter.

sMoK3-hOu5e
sMoK3-hOu5e
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-06 00:16:19 Reply

True True very interesting. Kind of funny a french owner i would type more but it is 9:30 here. I go to go to bed before i fall a sleeeeeeeeeeppppp. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

LMAO...you sleep at 9:30???

Dobio
Dobio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-06 00:25:46 Reply

At 11/6/02 12:16 AM, Daxson wrote:
True True very interesting. Kind of funny a french owner i would type more but it is 9:30 here. I go to go to bed before i fall a sleeeeeeeeeeppppp. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
LMAO...you sleep at 9:30???

Ouch! I didn't even notice that he put 9:30...You know...Newground isn't for 10 year olds. Except for the one on Howard Stern. ;)

Dobio
Dobio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-06 00:33:50 Reply

Has anyone had problems viewing newly submitted Portal movies? Everyone I try, it says Error, either this movie has been deleted or never existed. Please respond and tell me if it's my comp, or if everyone is having problems, Thanks.

Ice-Demon
Ice-Demon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-06 00:34:38 Reply

I don't think private componeys should be incharge of anything that vital for humans to survive.

Dobio
Dobio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-06 00:42:49 Reply

At 11/6/02 12:33 AM, Dobio wrote: Has anyone had problems viewing newly submitted Portal movies? Everyone I try, it says Error, either this movie has been deleted or never existed. Please respond and tell me if it's my comp, or if everyone is having problems, Thanks.

To update my situation, it seems as though some movies are either faulty for my comp, but others are still viewable.

45caliber-Killa
45caliber-Killa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-06 01:06:47 Reply

Hey that water deal sucks! I also heard that before they ship Corona up here from Mexico that the Mexicans urinate in each batch of brew. I guess that's why people put lime in it to kill off the taste.