Be a Supporter!

Stop buying bottled water!

  • 1,625 Views
  • 60 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
IllustriousPotentate
IllustriousPotentate
  • Member since: Mar. 5, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 24th, 2005 @ 07:27 PM Reply

At 8/24/05 06:34 PM, FAB0L0US wrote:
At 8/24/05 05:35 PM, -Illustrious- wrote: If you want pure, fresh water, buy distilled water. Simple as that. There's nothing dissolved in it, because it's been taken out of solution.
Its not very good for you though, I think I remember learning.

That's all part of the plan. People are so hell-bent on getting water "clean", they might reach a point where it's too clean.

MWUAHAHAHAHAHA


So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we had the key...

BBS Signature
Music-Man123
Music-Man123
  • Member since: Aug. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 24th, 2005 @ 07:46 PM Reply

I think that buying a case of bottled water is ridiculous. It shouldn't be sol;d like that. The only advantage of having bottled water I see is that you have something to refill when you run on empty.

I don't buy any bottle of water because it's "Better Quality." So you don't have any unknown organisms in your water. If you can see through your water, I think it would be actually safe. If you can't see through your water because all it is is as thick cloud of dirt and shit, you need to pour it out and sue whoever is responsible for making the water shitty.

A few little germs in your water are not going to kill you. In fact, germs are good for you. You have an immune system that produces anti-bodies to fend off against germs and bacteria. But how will it get stronger iff you try all you can to remain perfectly sterile. Not saying you should stop taking a shower, but don't be taking like 2 showers a day and washing your hands 5 times after taking a piss, esspecially if you didn't TOUCH anything donw there. Unless you are constantly swimming through garbage, you only need a shower when you start smelling like a hobo, and you only need to wash your hands after going to the bathroom if you had somehow pissed or shit on them. Back to my main point.

So there are a few little bad organisms and dirt in your water. Big deal. Germs are everywhere, even on the food you eat. No matter how much lysol you spray, germs are always going to be on the door knob you touch, the floor, and everything else you may touch. So if you are exposed to this whole "infestation" and are still living, you will not die from drinking water out of the faucet, so stop wasting money on CASESof these water bottles. You only need one or two to drink, refill, drink, refill, wash, refill, and drink. You could have about a cases-worth of drinks from one bottle. It's not like Coca Cola, which doesn't come out of the faucet..... which would be REALLY REALLY COOL. haha. But you don't have it, so you do have to go up to the store and buy it. If you need water, you don't need to buy a case. Save the bottles, man, save the bottle!

Besides, that purified water tastes like shit more than the stuff coming from some rusty water tank. We have a fridge that is supposed to give you purified water from the tube on the freezer. Well, not only does it take a while to fill a cup up, it tastes like crap. I'd take a few tastless carcinogens over shitty tasting water.

IllustriousPotentate
IllustriousPotentate
  • Member since: Mar. 5, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 24th, 2005 @ 07:52 PM Reply

A few little germs in your water are not going to kill you. In fact, germs are good for you. You have an immune system that produces anti-bodies to fend off against germs and bacteria. But how will it get stronger iff you try all you can to remain perfectly sterile. Not saying you should stop taking a shower, but don't be taking like 2 showers a day and washing your hands 5 times after taking a piss, esspecially if you didn't TOUCH anything donw there. Unless you are constantly swimming through garbage, you only need a shower when you start smelling like a hobo, and you only need to wash your hands after going to the bathroom if you had somehow pissed or shit on them.

OT, perhaps, but you don't wash your hands after you touch yourself for your own good--after all, it's your body's germs. It's for other people. Building up immunity or not, I don't think I want to shake hands with somebody who didn't wash their hands after using the restroom or whatever.


So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we had the key...

BBS Signature
Music-Man123
Music-Man123
  • Member since: Aug. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 24th, 2005 @ 08:11 PM Reply

At 8/24/05 07:52 PM, -Illustrious- wrote:
A few little germs in your water are not going to kill you. In fact, germs are good for you. You have an immune system that produces anti-bodies to fend off against germs and bacteria. But how will it get stronger iff you try all you can to remain perfectly sterile. Not saying you should stop taking a shower, but don't be taking like 2 showers a day and washing your hands 5 times after taking a piss, esspecially if you didn't TOUCH anything donw there. Unless you are constantly swimming through garbage, you only need a shower when you start smelling like a hobo, and you only need to wash your hands after going to the bathroom if you had somehow pissed or shit on them.
OT, perhaps, but you don't wash your hands after you touch yourself for your own good--after all, it's your body's germs. It's for other people. Building up immunity or not, I don't think I want to shake hands with somebody who didn't wash their hands after using the restroom or whatever.

I don't touch myself while using the bathroom ( hee hee :D), so I see no reason to wash my hands. If you don't touch anything down there, how are you getting germs?

But then again, you never know if they do touch themselves or not. So you could be shaking the hand of some guy which he just used to jerk off to some hardcore Gang-Bang porn. But you don't know that. So it's all just some psychological fear implanted into your brain by someone or something you saw or heard that has you think that touching someone's unwashed hand after they were in the bathroom is gross.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think you're some weak PHR34K or anything. I ahve the same problem with bee's and wasps. Sort of. I know they are out there, but I don't look over my shoulders while outside the entire time. But it's when I do see one I freeze. It's been outside all this time, flying around me without my knowledge, and it's when I know where it is that I get scared. If I didn't know, I wouldn't hesitate to do whatever I needed to do.

In conclusion, it's ok to have these fears, but you have to get over these fears so they don't hold you back. that's what fears do is hold you back from achieving your potential. Now you ask me how fearing dirty hands is going to hold you back? Any fear of germs can keep you from doing things. Even as small as say.... taking a $20.00 bill out of some guys hand. HAAAAAANNNNNND!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT he has not washed his hands ALLday, and you do not know if he had been doing the "beef jerky fun" or had been "taming the beast" while being in a bathroom. But you do know that he hasn't washed his hands because, well, you can see a few specks of dirt on his hands. Not the dirt form those "dark" places if you see what I'm saying. Just dirt. If you take the 20 from him, you gain 20 bucks which copuld be enough to buy something you wanted or needed. So is it worth getting those pathogens with the 20?

.... bad analogy, but can you see where I'm getting at? I just don't worry about these things because it's pretty miniscule in my opinion and there are much bigger things to worry about.

Demosthenez
Demosthenez
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 24th, 2005 @ 09:03 PM Reply

At 8/24/05 07:46 PM, Music_Man123 wrote: I don't buy any bottle of water because it's "Better Quality." So you don't have any unknown organisms in your water. If you can see through your water, I think it would be actually safe. If you can't see through your water because all it is is as thick cloud of dirt and shit, you need to pour it out and sue whoever is responsible for making the water shitty.

Apparently you have never been camping and had giardia. Suffice to say, you have the worst shits for a LONG time. And along that with having to hike with a 50 pound pack on your back 12,000 feet plus, you feel like dying with every step.

The water looks perfect, we get it from running water and not sitting water, but there is still shit in it. If we dont put iodine in it or have a purifier, you are fucked.

And germs are good for you, to a degree. So by all means starting boosting your immune system by drinking water from the stream. Dont mind the months and months of constant shitting. Its only weakness leaving your body.

fli
fli
  • Member since: Jul. 22, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 24th, 2005 @ 09:58 PM Reply

Tap water is cool.
During summer, I will drink out of the house.

Bottled water is cool too.

I'll still buy it cause... well... it's nifty, and it's better than a bottle of soda.

SpaceAndTime
SpaceAndTime
  • Member since: May. 26, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 24th, 2005 @ 10:07 PM Reply

This post made me thirsty.... I think i'll go have some tap water (from the upstairs bathroom of course, I have noticed it tastes better than water from the kitchen... must be the pipes.)

Drow1
Drow1
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 24th, 2005 @ 10:41 PM Reply

Why are there so many bottled water companies anyway? I mean is Disani really that much different than, Acqua Panna Natural Spring Water, Alhambra Water, Alpine Natural Springs, Apani Purified Drinking Water,Apemin Tusnad S.A., Appalachian Springs ,Aqua Fiji, Arrowhead, Australian Spring Water - Wattle Springs Group Pty Ltd, Avita Artesian Water, Calistoga Mineral Water,Colorado Crystal- Rocky Mountain Beverage Company, Comprad, Crystal Geyser Natural Alpine Spring Water, Crystal Geyser Water Company, Crystal Springs, Dannon Natural Spring Water, Deep Rock Water, Deer Park Spring Water ,Element H2O ,English Mountain Spring Water, Evian Natural Spring Water, Fountainhead Water, Fiji Water, Good Hydration ,Great Bear ,Hawaiian Springs Natural Water , Hillcrest Spring Water , Himalaya Natural Spring Water , Ice Mountain ,Keeper Springs , Loon Country Natural Spring Water , Mount Olympus Waters, Inc. , Mountain Valley Spring Company , Naya Spring Water , Oasis Spring Water , Ozarka Natural Spring Water , Panther Creek Inc. , Passugger ,Heilquellen AG ,Penafiel , Penta Water ,Perrier , Poland Springs , San Pellegrino, Saratoga Spring Water , Snow Valley Mountain Spring Water , Spa Reine , Sparkletts Water , Spirit Water , Trinity Springs or Ethos for that matter? *inhales*

Now that i'm done i'm not sure that was worth the trouble

GoatFuker
GoatFuker
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 25th, 2005 @ 05:45 AM Reply

We get bottled water such as Sparkletts (if this what u mean by bottled) cause cheaper cause were cheap like that haha ah...now the world knows

Sorry if i misunderstood your point or went of track

jobelow
jobelow
  • Member since: May. 9, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 25th, 2005 @ 06:24 AM Reply

The majority of bottled water actually does come from the municipal supply (tap) of some city or another, unfiltered, totally right out of the sink.

Bottled water costs about 1000 times as much as tap water.

Evian spelled backwards is Naive

I'm only throwing out facts.

Drow1
Drow1
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 25th, 2005 @ 10:02 AM Reply

So? backwards spelled backwards is backwards

think about it

I prefer Disani

Zedbeefive
Zedbeefive
  • Member since: Aug. 20, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 25th, 2005 @ 01:43 PM Reply

And remember all the gas thats being used to transport all of the bottled water! Now that is wasteful, and bad for the environment, and also very expensive. Stupid.

Irish-Jim
Irish-Jim
  • Member since: Apr. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 25th, 2005 @ 03:51 PM Reply

Actually, an EPA study in fall of 2003(?) found that more than 75% of bottled water brands do not meet the health standards of tap water, let alone their "industry standards" that spokespeople talk about. In fact, if you look on the side of a bottle, many of them say something to the extent of "Source: communal water supply, Corpus Christi TX" (That's what it says on Everest brand bottled water)...that's the fucking tap water of fucking Corpus Christi.

To add to that, anyone who says the FDA monitors bottled water hasn't read the guidelines: first, the FDA has absoutely no one dedicated to maintaining quality of bottled water except in extreme cases where a complaint has been filed, and secondly, there is a loophole which says the FDA can't regulate bottled water when it is bottled and sold in the same state. Why do you think there are bottled water companies in L.A.?

Plus, on a Showtime special I got to watch a taste test in which unanimously people preferred the tap water from NYC to Evian, one of the fanciest and most expensive brands.

The only reason to buy bottled water is so you can refill it out of the tap four hundred thousand times to finally get your money's worth.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Member since: Jan. 21, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 25th, 2005 @ 04:32 PM Reply

At 8/24/05 10:41 PM, Drow1 wrote: Why are there so many bottled water companies anyway? I mean is Disani really that much different than,

Actually Dasani is fairly different from a lot of bottled waters. It has added electrolytes, which gives it this weird sharpish taste. I think it's supposed to be for athletes or something.

jobelow
jobelow
  • Member since: May. 9, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 25th, 2005 @ 05:03 PM Reply

At 8/25/05 03:51 PM, Irish_Jim wrote:
Plus, on a Showtime special I got to watch a taste test in which unanimously people preferred the tap water from NYC to Evian, one of the fanciest and most expensive brands.

I've been watching Bullshit on ShoutCast tv for about three days now. That's a damn good show.

DarbySniper
DarbySniper
  • Member since: Aug. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 25th, 2005 @ 05:52 PM Reply

At 8/24/05 02:43 PM, ShotInTheHead wrote: actually bottled water is mostly basic tap water. youre just getting ripped off. the jokes on you.

tap water is toxic. it contains chlorine and flouride.

And after 3 generations flouride turns your bones to mush if you drink too much of it. Don't worry though, just keep sucking it down, it's 3 generations down the line ;).

Then again, I'd rather have that than 'treated' tap water...

MortifiedPenguins
MortifiedPenguins
  • Member since: Apr. 21, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 25th, 2005 @ 05:55 PM Reply

put some tap water in a cup and leave it be. i've done this before and i see little things in it floating down, iron, or some metal maybe. plus most tap water tastes like chlorine anyways


Between the idea And the reality
Between the motion And the act, Falls the Shadow
An argument in Logic

BBS Signature
Demosthenez
Demosthenez
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 25th, 2005 @ 06:03 PM Reply

At 8/25/05 05:03 PM, jobelow wrote: I've been watching Bullshit on ShoutCast tv for about three days now. That's a damn good show.

Is that the show with Penn and Teller?

I saw something similar to the taste test thing. They got some water, even water with shit in it and said its like water from a natural spring in like Cambodia (VERY exotic) and it was really water from a faucet. And they said they had some tap water (which was really like Evian) and people liked the water with stuff in it.

I think a lot of the bottled water thing is a mind game. But I still drink it cause it convinent.

night-watch-man18
night-watch-man18
  • Member since: Oct. 19, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 25th, 2005 @ 06:29 PM Reply

At 8/25/05 05:55 PM, fenrus1989 wrote: put some tap water in a cup and leave it be. i've done this before and i see little things in it floating down, iron, or some metal maybe. plus most tap water tastes like chlorine anyways

Ummm particles from the air maybe? Dust? If it's not, than it's probably fragments from your system, be it a well or from your pipes.
I've also let water stand where I am, and after a while, little bubbles begin to appear.
OH NO!!! Perhaps the chemicals in the tap water that are causing this bizarre twist of fate could be... bad!

If people are this worried about these kinds of things, they should refrain from eating... or hey, even breathing for that matter. Water is the least of your worries when you start to think of these things. In fact, I buy my oxygen in tank form and breathe that way. You know, so I don't get all those killer particles that are found in natural air. Sure, I pay 5 bucks a day for this air, but we'll see who's laughing in another 80 years when you chumps are dying of natural causes.

Suckers...

holmzito
holmzito
  • Member since: Oct. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 25th, 2005 @ 08:12 PM Reply

At 8/25/05 05:55 PM, fenrus1989 wrote: put some tap water in a cup and leave it be. i've done this before and i see little things in it floating down, iron, or some metal maybe. plus most tap water tastes like chlorine anyways

Your water just sucks really bad. Stop acting like all tap water is like yours, and get a job you hippie!

fastbow
fastbow
  • Member since: Sep. 3, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 25th, 2005 @ 08:52 PM Reply

I buy bottled water because I buy the cheapest kind I can. No dasani, no evian, the really cheap genaric.

Pepsi is just as expensive as bottled water. Buy a soda!

punisher19848
punisher19848
  • Member since: Apr. 4, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 26th, 2005 @ 01:14 PM Reply

At 8/24/05 12:18 PM, Redwrath wrote: "Starting today (Aug. 3), Starbucks begins rolling out Ethos bottled water in its 5,000 U.S. stores. The company plans to donate $10 million over the next five years for clean-water sources in poor countries. It will donate 5 cents for every bottle of Ethos sold."

Sadly, if people donated $10.00 in this country to clean water constructions around the world, there would no longer be a need for clean water.

So the question becomes:
Why do you buy bottled water? (Note: bottled water is not the same as mineral water, so don't get pissed at me if you want mineral water.)

OK then, I'll state this loud and clear for all to hear, right now: DRINK WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT! I don't care whether you taste the minerals or the chemicals or even cyonide in your water; if you want to drink it, drink it!

Don't let these super-health concious individuals tell you how bad your water is, just drink and enjoy because, regardless of what you drik, you're going to die sooner or later.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Member since: Jan. 21, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 26th, 2005 @ 01:34 PM Reply

At 8/25/05 06:03 PM, FAB0L0US wrote: I think a lot of the bottled water thing is a mind game. But I still drink it cause it convinent.

Well, it all depends on the brand of water people are using. I can tell the brand I drink from tap water, but probably not Dasani, because that has crap added to it. I drink some generic brand that got bought out by Nestle a while back.

And the Dasani thing wasn't a mind trick deal, I expected it to taste exactly like the other brand up until the point I tasted it. The taste was quite different.

Welshwonder
Welshwonder
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 26th, 2005 @ 06:50 PM Reply

i only buy bottled water if i dont happen to be near a tap

DJ8Ball
DJ8Ball
  • Member since: May. 18, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 26th, 2005 @ 07:08 PM Reply

i buy the shit because the radium in the water 12 times normal which means if you drink 8 glass a day itill increase the likelyness of you geting cancer by roufly 2% so cram it up your cramhole

LegendaryLukus
LegendaryLukus
  • Member since: Apr. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 26th, 2005 @ 07:10 PM Reply

At 8/26/05 01:14 PM, punisher19848 wrote: Don't let these super-health concious individuals tell you how bad your water is, just drink and enjoy because, regardless of what you drik, you're going to die sooner or later.

aye here here. So we might as well just have a beer instead


Up the Clarets!

fastbow
fastbow
  • Member since: Sep. 3, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 26th, 2005 @ 07:53 PM Reply

At 8/26/05 07:08 PM, Innercityproductions wrote: i buy the shit because the radium in the water 12 times normal which means if you drink 8 glass a day itill increase the likelyness of you geting cancer by roufly 2% so cram it up your cramhole

Oh wow. Just die of thirst then.
I DRINK TAP WATER AND I AM PROUD OF IT!

Thagomizer
Thagomizer
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 09:44 PM Reply

I usually avoid bottled water. If a liquid is going to be bottled and sold, it damn well better have some flavour in it.


BBS Signature
mojonano
mojonano
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 09:51 PM Reply

At 8/24/05 12:18 PM, Redwrath wrote: "Starting today (Aug. 3), Starbucks begins rolling out Ethos bottled water in its 5,000 U.S. stores. The company plans to donate $10 million over the next five years for clean-water sources in poor countries. It will donate 5 cents for every bottle of Ethos sold."

Sadly, if people donated $10.00 in this country to clean water constructions around the world, there would no longer be a need for clean water.

So the question becomes:
Why do you buy bottled water? (Note: bottled water is not the same as mineral water, so don't get pissed at me if you want mineral water.)

My city is the only city in the country that uses the method of sanitation that it does. It was recently found in a study by the University of Illinois that this method of sanitation creates carcinogens in the water. Corpus Christi, Texas has yet to even think about finding a new way to sanitize it's water. That is why I drink bottled water.

Also, since people aren't going to donate to other countries, but they are going to by bottled water, this is a great thing that Starbucks is doing, even if it is to mask an evil underlying corporate agenda. ;)

SEXY-FETUS
SEXY-FETUS
  • Member since: May. 2, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying bottled water! Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 09:52 PM Reply

I like the cheap bottled water, has some what of a metalic taste to it that I like.


Our growing dependence on laws only shows how uncivilized we are.