00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TalithaFelixStudios just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Make a object-frame stop MOVIE!

627 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Make a object-frame stop MOVIE! 2002-03-09 07:47:15

Hi, I'm working on the trivia for Ytowm Public #6 and have run into a small problem (that got huge when I didn't know how to solve it).

I have a couple of buttons with answers just like in YP#5 quiz- and this time I want to add a time limit feature. All questions lie in different frames in the same scene.

I though I could add a object with the BEAR slowly running toward NEWTON. When the bear gets close to him I want the WHOLE movie to jump to an other scene. I can't do this. Because the code it in the object's frame. And not in the main movie frames. Get it?!

HEEELP!

Response to Make a object-frame stop MOVIE! 2002-03-09 12:27:52

In the movie clip on the frame you want it to go to the other scene put this:

tellTarget ("../") {
gotoAndPlay ("scene here", frame here);
}

../ just tells the main stage to do the action.

Response to Make a object-frame stop MOVIE! 2002-03-11 05:05:16

tellTarget ("../") {
gotoAndPlay ("scene here", frame here);
}

I wrote that! I don't why it didn't work. The main stage jumped to another scene. Maybe I forgot to type stop in the new scene. Thanks anyway - I skipp the time limit, the trivia has alot of other features.

I just don't really like it when I don't get things to work :)

Response to Make a object-frame stop MOVIE! 2002-03-11 11:33:22

If you're using slash syntax you'll never get anything to work properly. Use dot syntax.

Response to Make a object-frame stop MOVIE! 2002-03-14 05:23:23

At 3/11/02 11:33 AM, Uncle_Boris wrote: If you're using slash syntax you'll never get anything to work properly. Use dot syntax.

Yeah, slash syntax is like so outta date its not funny... oh wait it is funny.

BAHAHAHAHA

Response to Make a object-frame stop MOVIE! 2002-03-14 05:36:51

At 3/9/02 07:47 AM, McRhyme wrote: Hi, I'm working on the trivia for Ytowm Public #6 and have run into a small problem (that got huge when I didn't know how to solve it).

I have a couple of buttons with answers just like in YP#5 quiz- and this time I want to add a time limit feature. All questions lie in different frames in the same scene.

I though I could add a object with the BEAR slowly running toward NEWTON. When the bear gets close to him I want the WHOLE movie to jump to an other scene. I can't do this. Because the code it in the object's frame. And not in the main movie frames. Get it?!

HEEELP!

ok this is what you do

make all the questions and the whole quiz thing into a movie clip. Place the movie clip on the stage where it is gonna be and what not. Then right click and choose actions for the movie clip and put this in:

onClipEvent(load)
{
startTime = getTimer();
}

onClipEvent(enterFrame)
{
currentTime = getTimer();
elapsedTime = Math.round((currentTime - startTime)/1000);
}

Just copy and past that in. What it will do is count up every second. So say you want a 60 second timer. You would add:

if(elapsedTime >= 60)
{
_root.gotoAndPlay(N);
}

Where N would be the next frame in the main time line. so the overall action script for the movie clip is:

onClipEvent(load)
{
startTime = getTimer();
}

onClipEvent(enterFrame)
{
currentTime = getTimer();
elapsedTime = Math.round((currentTime - startTime)/1000);

if(elapsedTime >= 60)
{
_root.gotoAndPlay(N);
}

}

Response to Make a object-frame stop MOVIE! 2002-03-14 05:39:49

Oh yeah, in the main time line layer action script, put the stop(); command so it doesn't keep going :)

Response to Make a object-frame stop MOVIE! 2002-03-14 14:57:35

Thanks man! Very nice of you - but I won't add it. I will study it though! Muchous thankos!

Response to Make a object-frame stop MOVIE! 2002-03-14 20:07:10

At 3/14/02 02:57 PM, McRhyme wrote: Thanks man! Very nice of you - but I won't add it. I will study it though! Muchous thankos!

You're welcome. Can I be in YP7? I can me a new student that likes chocolate alot and I eat it all the time so I always have brown smears on my face around my mouth and the other kids at Ytown Public can call me Shit Face and then, my character being stupid doesn't pick up on it and says "But I don't drink."

Response to Make a object-frame stop MOVIE! 2002-03-17 05:47:23

Can I be in YP7?

Sure... When ever I make that epsiode. YP#6 will finsish the first chapter. There will be no more epsiodes in 7 months cuse I'm going abroad!

Response to Make a object-frame stop MOVIE! 2002-03-17 11:00:09

At 3/17/02 05:47 AM, McRhyme wrote: Can I be in YP7?

Sure... When ever I make that epsiode. YP#6 will finsish the first chapter. There will be no more epsiodes in 7 months cuse I'm going abroad!

the script sould be in dot /forward scripting....unless u have it in slash syntax u can auto change it by using /backward

hope that helped!!!!!