00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

FF7 the best game ever???

3,734 Views | 66 Replies

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 10:54:22

At 12/18/01 04:43 AM, DemiberryClock wrote:
At 12/18/01 04:40 AM, demide wrote:
At 12/17/01 09:10 PM, fourchinnigan wrote: I really wished they'd make a sequel.

you guys in the US are lucky, coz you get games like tactics.over here in oz, we dont:(
YEAH YEAH WHAT HE SAID!

EMINEM AND THE D12 RULEZ!!11

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 11:20:22

alI eeee muveEs ra teh beS evR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 11:24:52

GRR. I'm like the only one who didnt finish Earthbound. I gotta get the ROM now.

On another note, I forgot a excellent RPG series.
Shining Force.

ooOOOoooo

FF7 the best game ever???

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 11:42:04

I dont really feel like reading any of this thread, since ive already had this conversation about a million times but:

FFIX is the best.
Better than FFVII.
Regardless of what anyone says.

FF7 still kicks ass but there are many reasons it is inferior to FF9. Im not going to go into all of them but ill lightly touch on a few negative points of 7:

FF7-horribly translated
FF7-dues to the supreme power of materia, individual characters become completely interchangeable
FF7-Midgar

It WAS the first game i ever played that said "shit" though, and that = cool.

Do not get me wrong, i LOVE FF7; i LOVE killing the final boss with two pushes of the button. I love being the ultimate power weilding GOD that i am. the 99+ hours of game time proves that. I just think that 9 was a better game. Heres why:

FF9-incorporated lots of shit from other FF's
FF9-characters were better designed and certain characters were more useful in ceratain situations (i.e. not interchangeable)
FF9-made me cry. Yes i actually cried at the end. Ive never cried at the death of a family member, or a friend, but this GAME actually made me cry. And yes, i know im a pussy.
FF9-killer goat/sheep
FF9-Vivi

So ummm, yeah, FF9 is better.
Need sleep now.

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 11:44:40

At 12/18/01 11:42 AM, Superabound wrote:
I dont really feel like reading any of this thread, since ive already had this conversation about a million times but:

FFIX is the best.
Better than FFVII.
Regardless of what anyone says.

FF7 still kicks ass but there are many reasons it is inferior to FF9. Im not going to go into all of them but ill lightly touch on a few negative points of 7:

FF7-horribly translated
FF7-dues to the supreme power of materia, individual characters become completely interchangeable
FF7-Midgar

It WAS the first game i ever played that said "shit" though, and that = cool.

Do not get me wrong, i LOVE FF7; i LOVE killing the final boss with two pushes of the button. I love being the ultimate power weilding GOD that i am. the 99+ hours of game time proves that. I just think that 9 was a better game. Heres why:

FF9-incorporated lots of shit from other FF's
FF9-characters were better designed and certain characters were more useful in ceratain situations (i.e. not interchangeable)
FF9-made me cry. Yes i actually cried at the end. Ive never cried at the death of a family member, or a friend, but this GAME actually made me cry. And yes, i know im a pussy.
FF9-killer goat/sheep
FF9-Vivi

So ummm, yeah, FF9 is better.
Need sleep now.

FF9 = transexual for a villain
Nuff'said.

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 11:50:02

FF7 is a very good game, but I guess I am one of the few people that prefer FF8 to FF7

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 11:56:57

Superabount: Why no mention of the earlier (better) Final Fantasies?

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 12:07:59

At 12/18/01 11:56 AM, SilverHammer wrote: Superabount: Why no mention of the earlier (better) Final Fantasies?

Because the only one that was anywhere near FF7 & 9 was 3/6, and FF9 is still better. Hmm i dunno, i might like 3 better than 7. Tough call.

And to that Pinecone guy who said 8 was better: have you actually PLAYED it? It was horrible. The junctioning system was shit and made you never want to use good magic. There was absolutely NO character development, or PLOT for that matter. Squall was a fag.
The only thing cool thing about the game is the whole outer space part of it, and the way the gunblades looked.

God, and the way they did the whole weapons and armor system, HORRIBLE. Fuck, not to mention the goddamn LEVELS!!!! Wow, im level 100, and im not any more powerful than i was when i was level 50! Let me ask you something: if your characters AND the enemies both increase in level at the same rate, making you and the monsters alway equal with each other, then whats the point of even having levels???? Also, the fact that once you hit lvl 100, you cant get any higher, and 100 being a multiple of 10, if all your characters are lvl 100, then a lvl 10 Death spell kills you EVERY TIME. Im getting killed by fucking TORAMAS here!

BTW, i whooped Omega's ASS.

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 12:16:02

I never even finished 9. I couldn't get into it. (I tried, too.)

I might try playing it again. Maybe.

I'll most likely spend most of my RPG time playing old SNES games that I never played though.

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 12:33:11

At 12/18/01 12:16 PM, SilverHammer wrote:
I'll most likely spend most of my RPG time playing old SNES games that I never played though.

If so, them you should find a rom of Tales of Phantasia, its an awesome game.

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 13:31:30

At 12/18/01 01:28 AM, JimmyJoJoBob wrote:
At 12/17/01 11:59 PM, BaldGuyWithaHat wrote:
At 12/17/01 09:02 PM, JimmyJoJoBob wrote: is ff7 the best game ever made ????
all i know is that FF9 was one of the worst RPGs ever.
i played ff9 and it did suck

cmon it wasnt that fucking bad, the story was nothing special and didnt have twists like 7 or a really good theme like 6 and 8.

i think my favorite had to be 7, though 8 was good and 6 was damn good but i never finished it cause i played it when i was like 8 or 7 or some shit. the very first one was good to. so was 4 but it was to easy, though not as easy as 9.

I played a demo of 10 and that shit looks and plays like the best yet.

enough of this, i have a joint.

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 13:33:42

At 12/18/01 12:33 PM, Superabound wrote:
If so, them you should find a rom of Tales of Phantasia, its an awesome game.

I actually am planning on playing that game. Right now it's Earthbound and Terranigma though. I also might want to replay Secret of Mana. I only *almost* beat it last time. Seiken Densetsu 3 too...Hmm...

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 13:35:46

Only the american FF4 was easy. The Japanese one was tough. I think it might be the version that was released on the Playstation actually. The Japanese one that is. Translated...yeah.

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 13:43:50

At 12/17/01 10:14 PM, SilverHammer wrote:
At 12/17/01 09:43 PM, Splent wrote: By the way I've never played Chrono Cross, I've heard it was really good, I've heard it sucked. I don't know if I want to play it because it doesn't feature the characters of CT. I think. I'm not sure I think Lucca is part of it somewhere?
I think Lucca was actually in Xenogears, but I dunno. Xenogears was the *real* sequel to CT.

The original characters all show up in CC at one really lame scene thing. That game blew hard in my opinion. Well, I might be a bit tough on it just because I had high expectations...but it blew hard. The battle system was the WORST...EVER. If you wanted to change who's on your party, you'd have to spend literally a half hour equipping them if you wanted them to not suck. And there are like 40 fucking characters in the game. Dear Lord, it's an atrocity.

So you mean Xenogears has the same characters as in CT or just Lucca? I love that team... Crono, Marle, Lucca, Robo, Frog, Ayla, even Magus... That was the best. I named them all after people I know and what is so weird is that they have the same characteristics as the people I named them after. It was sweet. I'd love to play as them again in a GOOD sequel... I've never played Xenogears. Is that for PSX or SNES?

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 13:50:24

At 12/18/01 01:43 PM, Splent wrote: So you mean Xenogears has the same characters as in CT or just Lucca? I love that team... Crono, Marle, Lucca, Robo, Frog, Ayla, even Magus... That was the best. I named them all after people I know and what is so weird is that they have the same characteristics as the people I named them after. It was sweet. I'd love to play as them again in a GOOD sequel... I've never played Xenogears. Is that for PSX or SNES?

My brother's friend was supposed to steal Xenogears for him, but he just stole it and kept it for himself, that lousy no-good theif.

I really wanted to play that game.

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 14:01:42

Chrono Cross is actually a pretty good game, the number of characters and different branches the plot can take, plus the sheer number of possile endings make it interesting. It doesn't quite live up to Its predecessor, which is why many say it sucked... But it would be hailed as a classic if it was released as its own game, rather than as a half-assed sequel to CT.

As for the FF series, I really didn't care for 7 all that much. 8 was about equal in my book... 8 had a good story line but it seemed to linear and rushed at the end, though I have to say that the battle between Galbadia and Balamb gardens is one of the best combinations of Video and gameplay I've seen yet in an RPG... more tactical control of the situation and stuff and I would play the game a million times just for that part. 9 was a great break from the previous Final Fantasys, it was light and humorous, but still had a serious air to it, I think it was better than either 7 or 8. I don't think that any of the PSX FFs (Not counting Chronicles / Anthology) topped the SNES ones though. FF3 (6) was a masterpiece, and FF2 (4, better in the PS chronicles with new features) Had one of the most immersive storylines of all of them, and for once, the main characters were *not* teenagers (Yeah, theres really 13 - 18 year old war veterans and masters of combat in general) I really didn't care too much for FF5 though.... Tactics had the same character development system but utilized it better, and I think Tactics actually had a good story too....

Just my .02 Gil.

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 14:24:15

Here's a testament to Xenogears:

I spent a good 70 hours of actual play time, not just a lot of wandering around, and still want to replay it. (I have a new save that's a good 20-25 hours into it).

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 19:19:24

though I have to say that the battle between Galbadia and Balamb gardens is one of the best combinations of Video and gameplay I've seen yet in an RPG...

I had to point that out and say, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree. Say all the bad stuff bout 8, that SeeD battle was one of the coolest fucking things, EVER, in any RPG.

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 19:21:57

At 12/18/01 07:19 PM, whiteguyz wrote: though I have to say that the battle between Galbadia and Balamb gardens is one of the best combinations of Video and gameplay I've seen yet in an RPG...

I liked when balmazor attacked filmagog with his flame sword +5 "wisper sliceanator" THAT KICKED ASS!

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-18 20:44:08

At 12/18/01 07:21 PM, PenguinBerryClock wrote:
At 12/18/01 07:19 PM, whiteguyz wrote: though I have to say that the battle between Galbadia and Balamb gardens is one of the best combinations of Video and gameplay I've seen yet in an RPG...
I liked when balmazor attacked filmagog with his flame sword +5 "wisper sliceanator" THAT KICKED ASS!

cool

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-19 01:40:29

At 12/18/01 08:44 PM, JimmyJoJoBob wrote:
At 12/18/01 07:21 PM, PenguinBerryClock wrote:
cool

very cool

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-19 09:51:16

At 12/18/01 11:56 AM, SilverHammer wrote:

Because the only one that was anywhere near FF7 & 9 was 3/6, and FF9 is still better. Hmm i dunno, i might like 3 better than 7. Tough call.

Um...right... I liked the characters in FF9 better than those in 7 and 8 (did I mention how much I hate that whiny bugger Squall?), but the story was pretty cookie-cutter. The FF team pretty much stopped trying anything new, and are pretty much rehashing the old stuff. I also despised the stupid gem system, and the fact that you had to mix and match armor and accessories to get the best powers and such. Reminds me of the magicite system in 6, which I also didn't like. If you can give all your characters Quick and Ultima, don't bother having a final boss. Just show the ending.

And to that Pinecone guy who said 8 was better: have you actually PLAYED it? It was horrible. The junctioning system was shit and made you never want to use good magic.

I liked the junctioning system. It meant you actually had to balance resources, and decide if you really needed to use that spell, or if you wanted to keep your stats up. You couldn't just build all your stats through the roof and roll over enemies, at least, not without serious foresight and planning (Cactuar is great for stat-building), and you had to use items, and balance GF's between characters, and basically think your strategy through so your characters would be optimized. I wish they kept that system.

:There was absolutely NO character development, or PLOT for that matter. Squall was a fag.

While I do not approve of the use of the derogatory term "fag", Squall was indeed a whiny little pansy. The characters definitely did not have good elaboration. I liked Zell, though. He was at least passionate about his work. There WAS a plot, but the problem was that it was crammed into tiny segments of the game, so I could see how it would be overlooked. Kind of like in 9 when you find out who the last boss is and what you're fighting for 2 seconds before the end.

God, and the way they did the whole weapons and armor system, HORRIBLE. Fuck, not to mention the goddamn LEVELS!!!! Wow, im level 100, and im not any more powerful than i was when i was level 50! Let me ask you something: if your characters AND the enemies both increase in level at the same rate, making you and the monsters alway equal with each other, then whats the point of even having levels????

Oh, I see. You're one of those people who wants to just build levels for 20 hours, then destroy everything in sight without trying. As realistic as that is, maybe the developers didn't want people who just wanted to steamroll through a game. Some people actually like planning strategies to take down enemies, and like challenges in their game, not a game where they can get so powerful they just keep hitting the attack button to beat any boss. Basically, they were making up for the Knights of the Round issue in 7.

:Also, the fact that once you hit lvl 100, you cant get any higher, and 100 being a multiple of 10, if all your characters are lvl 100, then a lvl 10 Death spell kills you EVERY TIME. Im getting killed by fucking TORAMAS here!

Try equipping Death spells in your status defense. See? TKINKING....

And how did you do this if you can't defend yourself from instant death? Never mind. Did you play the card game? Laguna and Gilgamesh's cards make this fight much easier...

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-19 10:58:01

Well, to beat all FF RPGs, I only used my attack, and I hardly ever use items. So, HA!

Have you noticed pretty much ALL Final Fantasy games involve someone controling the minds of others? FF2, FF4, FF7, and FF8 all are like that. FF3 is the only one I have played that isn't like that.
Final Fantasy Tactic is a really good game, methinks.

What may man within him hide, though angel on the outward side.

BBS Signature

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-19 12:11:35

At 12/19/01 09:51 AM, bokocat wrote:
At 12/18/01 11:56 AM, SilverHammer wrote:

First of all, id like to say that it was me who said this, not SilverHammer.

Um...right... I liked the characters in FF9 better than those in 7 and 8 (did I mention how much I hate that whiny bugger Squall?), but the story was pretty cookie-cutter. The FF team pretty much stopped trying anything new, and are pretty much rehashing the old stuff.

That was deliberate. They were paying homage to the rest of the series.

:I also despised the stupid gem system, and the fact that you had to mix and match armor and accessories to get the best powers and such.

Gem system, best ever. Character-specific powers mightily rule over your *precious* junctioning any day.

:Reminds me of the magicite system in 6, which I also didn't like. If you can give all your characters Quick and Ultima, don't bother having a final boss. Just show the ending.

The final boss is not the most difficult enemy.

I liked the junctioning system. It meant you actually had to balance resources, and decide if you really needed to use that spell, or if you wanted to keep your stats up.

And the answer was "keep your stats up" every time! The junctioning system was horribly conceived and poorly executed. You junction all your powerful spells to your stats, and all you have left to cast is shitty firagas and thundagas, which are worthless after about the first five minutes of playing. You know, unless you WANT to waste good magic, fuck your stats, and spend the next hour waiting for a Draw point to refill.

:You couldn't just build all your stats through the roof and roll over enemies, at least, not without serious foresight and planning (Cactuar is great for stat-building), and you had to use items, and balance GF's between characters, and basically think your strategy through so your characters would be optimized. I wish they kept that system.

GFs were an atrocious aberration. "Hey i have an idea, how about we have these super-powerful summons that can be used over and over again with no cost at all, and give the player no reason to ever attack directly, other than the fact that hes probably sick and fucking tired of watching the same 5 minute long CG sequence over and over again?"

While I do not approve of the use of the derogatory term "fag", Squall was indeed a whiny little pansy.

He's a video game character, im sure he can take it.

:The characters definitely did not have good elaboration. I liked Zell, though.

OMG, Zell was even more queer than Squall! Hey lets jump around like fucking retards and say "cool" and "gee willikers" over and over while pumping our fists in the air! Hello im Zell and my special move is to punch and kick and i have spiky hair and OH MY GOD IM A FUCKING RIP-OFF OF SABIN FROM FF3!!!!!!

There WAS a plot, but the problem was that it was crammed into tiny segments of the game, so I could see how it would be overlooked.

Well if you wanna look at it THAT way, Battlefield fucking Earth HAD a plot, it was just shitty and retarded. So my bad, FF8 HAD a plot, it just sucked. To give *some* credit however, the plot at the beginning of the game was cool, with the war between nations and shit, but then it just dissolved into nonsensical ramblings about sorceresses and "time compression".

"OH MY GAWD WE ALL WENT TO THE SAME PRESCHOOL TOGETHER!!! BEST PLOT EVAR!!!!"
Goddammit Square, FF8 was a fucking episode of "Rugrats" for shit's sake.

Kind of like in 9 when you find out who the last boss is and what you're fighting for 2 seconds before the end.

Im pretty sure that was a slightly tongue-in-cheek reference to every other RPG that sprung the "true" enemy on you at the last second. Specifically FF2.
Dammit people, FF9 was a tribute to RPGs, how have you not noticed that? Yes they "copied" stuff from the rest of the series, it was intentional. The only people complaining about that are morons, us true gamers got a big kick out of it.

Damn, its been a while since ive had to split a post in half...

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-19 12:13:50

and i just realized that i really suck at keeping people's text darkened.

Oh, I see. You're one of those people who wants to just build levels for 20 hours, then destroy everything in sight without trying.

No you ass, i would just like to have SOMETHING to show for me wasting 60+ hours of my life playing a fucking video game. But since you probably play the game just long enough to slip through and fight the last boss, you wouldnt understand. You act like building your levels up high isnt the most challenging aspect of the game.

As realistic as that is, maybe the developers didn't want people who just wanted to steamroll through a game.

Thats strange, because i "steamrolled" right through FF8, it was the easiest one in the series. It was so easy that Mystic Quest used to beat it up in RPG school.

Some people actually like planning strategies to take down enemies, and like challenges in their game, not a game where they can get so powerful they just keep hitting the attack button to beat any boss. Basically, they were making up for the Knights of the Round issue in 7.

Because a magic fairy just floated down from heaven and gave it to you, right? NO, you had to get a gold chocobo to get Knights, and you could only get a gold chocobo one of two ways.

1. the impossible way
2. the slightly less impossible way

Yes, its was horribly powerful. But that power was EARNED through fucking laborous hard work. And just TRY beating Emerald and Ruby without it (i actually have). But you probably have no idea what im talking about since you never got KoTR, you just read about it in a magazine. You dont even own a Playstation, do you?

Try equipping Death spells in your status defense. See? TKINKING....

You son of a bitch. The day YOU disparage MY gaming skills is THE DAY YOU DIE. I was stomping turtles and saving princesses while you were still shitting in your diapers. I fucking KNOW about equipping Death to my ST DEF, but since few enemies ever cast Death, that space would be much more efficiently filled with something that protects me from MULTIPLE status attacks. And yes, i COULD constantly switch which spells i have junctioned to my defense, but thats tedious and unnecessary.

And how did you do this if you can't defend yourself from instant death? Never mind. Did you play the card game? Laguna and Gilgamesh's cards make this fight much easier...

Good lord. NO, i didnt play the card game. What card game? Im a complete moron. In fact i played through the entire game without upgrading anyone from their original weapons and armor. Stupid me.

Do you see how entirely retarded that question was?

(Laguna & Gilgamesh = holy wars and megalixers: hardcore motherfuckers need no such things...)

And as Lord of RPGs, my word is law in this subject.

But maybe ive been to harsh (prolly not), seeing as you like Everclear, 311, and STP. And i hope you mean OLD Everclear, cuz their new shit SUCKS. Pilots however, always have, and always will, R0X0R.

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-19 12:53:00

The thing that pissed me off about FF9 was that even though it had given itself a liscense to rip things off of great old RPG's it still couldn't hold my interest.

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-19 14:05:23

I think I liked FF7 the best, although 8 and 9 were pretty cool IMO.

I liked FF7 because it was a very well developed RPG. It had a bunch of side quests that could be skipped if you wanted to, and it even had some mini games that were cool, even if they were a little weak (the motorcycle fight game gets boring fast).

FF8 was a pretty good RPG, but there was WAY too much time required fighting nothing monsters so that you can get experience for your guardians. In fact, there were parts of the game that were much more difficult if you didn't have a particular skill for your guardian. Getting your materia to the next level in FF7 was cool, but often not essential, not to mention the fights you got into from running from one place to the other usually gave your materia plenty of time to level up.

FF9 had a pretty decent battle system IMO, at least the different characters had different skills, which made the individual characters more important.

------------

However, what I really love about a good RPG is the story line, and I have to say that FF7 was the best.

FF9 had a decent storyline, wasn't very surprising though, and very predictable. Not to mention the fact that the main character turned out to be from a planet of clones was a real kick in the ass. The endgame movie was very nice though.

FF8 also had a good storyline, the plot twists were intriguing, however, there were a few plot holes. For instance, if SeeD was started by Cid because he knew his wife was going to turn into this all-powerful sorceress, don't you think the kids living there would remember that stuff? Yeah, the whole "we were all in the same orphanage" stuff was a little weak. By the end of the game, I was a little fed up, and I wanted to beat the game just to have it over with, not to find out what happens next. The endgame also had nothing really to do with the plot, it was just the typical Super-Mega-Happy-Ending... nice sequence though. I must agree, however, that fight between the two gardens was an excellent scene, in fact, it was the best part of the game. That thing where they beamed all the monsters from the moon was G-A-Y, don't you think they would have all died, seeing as they fell from the god damned moon? ...and what happened to all the monsters after the game was over?

Now... FF7, that was awesome. Given, I was mostly confused on the whole "Is Cloud a clone, a poser, a real soldier, or what?" issue, but then again, I was stoned all the time and I was doing a whole lot of acid that summer as well, so me trying to concentrate on the plot development was a little on the tough side. However, FF7 had the BEST bad guy of the 7, 8, 9 trilogy (especially when he skewered that one chick, I can't remember her name, note the previous stoned comment). FF7 also had some awesome cut scenes (the escape from that one office building where cloud was on the motorcyle was sweet), and absolutely, positively, the most awesome end game that I have ever seen. The end game alone had me on the edge of my seat (the ship getting blasted out of the volcano rocked).

All in all, every one had good points, and all of them are worth playing, depending on your expectations of the game. However I must agree with the original question of this thread: yes, FF7 is the best one of the series.

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-19 15:50:29

At 12/19/01 12:13 PM, Superabound wrote:
No you ass, i would just like to have SOMETHING to show for me wasting 60+ hours of my life playing a fucking video game. But since you probably play the game just long enough to slip through and fight the last boss, you wouldnt understand. You act like building your levels up high isnt the most challenging aspect of the game.

Umm, probably because it isn't, Mr. Hardcore gamer. Fighting the same enemies over millions of times with the exact same tactics simply to make yourself invincible...gee, do you beat up preschoolers in the park, too? A CHALLENGE is when you get through an RPG with as low a level as possible, using nothing more than your wits, tactics, and good luck to pull off a victory. A 4-year-old could sit at the stupid thing for 70 hours and beat up enemies. It takes no skill, just free time. I'm not saying I don't do it, of course, but AFTER I beat the game the hard way.

Thats strange, because i "steamrolled" right through FF8, it was the easiest one in the series. It was so easy that Mystic Quest used to beat it up in RPG school.

Ok, 8 wasn't great. I'm not saying it was. I liked junctioning. Personal preference. I didn't like the story or the characters. They sucked. No disagreement there. But saying it's worse than MYSTIC QUEST, of all things? Yeesh. That's like people who didn't like Majora's Mask comparing it to the Zelda CD-i games.

Yes, its was horribly powerful. But that power was EARNED through fucking laborous hard work. And just TRY beating Emerald and Ruby without it (i actually have). But you probably have no idea what im talking about since you never got KoTR, you just read about it in a magazine. You dont even own a Playstation, do you?

Yes, you're absolutely right. Because you live in my basement and know everything about me. You know, I'd really LOVE to find good, great, and excellent chocobos, breed them, feed them greens, and race them 10 billion times (I'm going to kill that stupid Teioh) to get a powerful summon. Ok, so I did it, but I didn't like it. Unrelated mini-games...ugh. By the time I got to 9 I was so fed up I refused to do that stupid Chocograph quest. I'll beat the game without the ultimate weapons if it means I spare my mind from more mind-numbing chocobo crap. I like side-quests, but why do the FF's since 7 make them either chocobo or card related? Whatever happened to secret dungeons and islands? ANd yes, I got KOTR, and I too have defeated Emerald and Ruby with no KOTR. (See? Challenges can be fun)

You son of a bitch. The day YOU disparage MY gaming skills is THE DAY YOU DIE. I was stomping turtles and saving princesses while you were still shitting in your diapers. I fucking KNOW about equipping Death to my ST DEF, but since few enemies ever cast Death, that space would be much more efficiently filled with something that protects me from MULTIPLE status attacks. And yes, i COULD constantly switch which spells i have junctioned to my defense, but thats tedious and unnecessary.

A little arrogancy in your coffee this morning? Death is a tad worse than poison and the like, so I give all my guys ST Defx4, and pump up the essentials, like Death, and Stop, and Berserk. You know, the ones that'll really screw you over? Of course, you can punch each thing up to 80 or so, if I remember correctly, but 20% is too much chance. Gee, you like killing random enemies for 60 hours, but you can't take 2 seconds out of your busy schedule to change a few spells.

(Laguna & Gilgamesh = holy wars and megalixers: hardcore motherfuckers need no such things...)

Actually, it was Heroes and Holy Wars. Sorry. I assumed since you seem to like to take the easy way out of things so often, I thought you might like invincibility items. I love "Hardcore" gamers. Bunch of self-obsessed arrogant pansies.

And as Lord of RPGs, my word is law in this subject.

Yes, master. You make allusions to Mario, which really surprises me since your maturity is that of an 11-year old, and your superior attitude leaves all those who are actually respectable old-schoolers shake their heads. Maybe you heard about that pixellated red-and-orange fellow in the gray box from your older brother, or maybe you've been locked in your basement pumping up your characters for the 50th time through that you forgot what social skills were. Either way, no matter.

But maybe ive been to harsh (prolly not), seeing as you like Everclear, 311, and STP. And i hope you mean OLD Everclear, cuz their new shit SUCKS. Pilots however, always have, and always will, R0X0R.

Indeed. No argument anywhere there. But good Lord, no 1337, please. It started as a useful means of communication in Counterstrike, but now it's just bothersome.

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-19 16:19:24

At 12/19/01 12:11 PM, Superabound wrote:

That was deliberate. They were paying homage to the rest of the series.

And they did it badly. They were trying to return to the roots or some such crap, but what made 4, 5, and 6 great was that they were original. Originality counts more than nostalgia.

Gem system, best ever. Character-specific powers mightily rule over your *precious* junctioning any day.

Do you live near other people? Just wondering, because you seem to think that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong. It seems that you've never seem a person with another opinion before. I like either customizable or linear characters, but I'd like for them to choose one or the other, not this building up common traits through items, but still having separate powers stuff. Trance abilities sucked, too. Amarant's were good, because Chakra and Revive worked on everyone.

The final boss is not the most difficult enemy.

Of course not. But ALL the bosses in 6 were easy if you pumped up your guys enough.

And the answer was "keep your stats up" every time! The junctioning system was horribly conceived and poorly executed. You junction all your powerful spells to your stats, and all you have left to cast is shitty firagas and thundagas, which are worthless after about the first five minutes of playing. You know, unless you WANT to waste good magic, fuck your stats, and spend the next hour waiting for a Draw point to refill.

So you use magic exclusively against bosses, and build it up again later. Do you really need it against regular enemies? You could always refill draw points while you're levelling up for the bajillionth time. A hardcore gamer like you MUST know about the Islands of Heaven and Hell, so what's the problem?

GFs were an atrocious aberration. "Hey i have an idea, how about we have these super-powerful summons that can be used over and over again with no cost at all, and give the player no reason to ever attack directly, other than the fact that hes probably sick and fucking tired of watching the same 5 minute long CG sequence over and over again?"

Agreed. They should have kept some sort of MP system, at least for the GF's.

OMG, Zell was even more queer than Squall! Hey lets jump around like fucking retards and say "cool" and "gee willikers" over and over while pumping our fists in the air! Hello im Zell and my special move is to punch and kick and i have spiky hair and OH MY GOD IM A FUCKING RIP-OFF OF SABIN FROM FF3!!!!!!

Maybe he was a "tribute" to Sabin, like FF9 was a tribute to the early games. They both pale in comparison to the originals. Zell had personality. He had energy. I found it funny. You may not have. It's called personal opinion.

Well if you wanna look at it THAT way, Battlefield fucking Earth HAD a plot, it was just shitty and retarded. So my bad, FF8 HAD a plot, it just sucked. To give *some* credit however, the plot at the beginning of the game was cool, with the war between nations and shit, but then it just dissolved into nonsensical ramblings about sorceresses and "time compression".

"OH MY GAWD WE ALL WENT TO THE SAME PRESCHOOL TOGETHER!!! BEST PLOT EVAR!!!!"
Goddammit Square, FF8 was a fucking episode of "Rugrats" for shit's sake.

I never said it was a "good" plot, just that there was a plot. The time compression thing was definitely stupid.

Im pretty sure that was a slightly tongue-in-cheek reference to every other RPG that sprung the "true" enemy on you at the last second. Specifically FF2.
Dammit people, FF9 was a tribute to RPGs, how have you not noticed that? Yes they "copied" stuff from the rest of the series, it was intentional. The only people complaining about that are morons, us true gamers got a big kick out of it.

Yeah, it was real great, as a concept. The execution sucked. FF9 didn't have as good a story as 4,5, or 6, and you at least knew about Zemus/Zeromus before you fought him. Just because it's an homage doesn't mean it's good. I want a game that'll stand on its own. You make it sound so noble of them to look back to the past and do those ideas over again. I think they just wanted to send out some crap without doing any original thinking. If ten is anything like this rehashed crud, FF will lose my respect. Most of Square's good team already left, anyway. If I want the classics, I'll play them. Right now, I want originality. That's what NEW games are for.

Damn, its been a while since ive had to split a post in half...

Just don't turn it into fourths, please.

Response to FF7 the best game ever??? 2001-12-19 23:44:59

At 12/18/01 12:47 PM, Notorius wrote: has anyone played Dreams Of Destiny fo PlayStation?

no never heard of it