00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Utubj just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Feed Update - Ignore Reviews Per Project

2,313 Views | 44 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Feed Update - Ignore Reviews Per Project 2024-05-15 05:07:04

Useful if you really get credited on a lot of things hmm... nice update.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Feed Update - Ignore Reviews Per Project 2024-05-15 06:16:07

At 5/15/24 04:45 AM, UnculturedMutt wrote:
At 5/14/24 03:06 PM, Tomafokio wrote:
At 5/14/24 02:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: Small but handy update today! While Josh has been deep in the feed overhaul, he fixed something that wasn’t working correctly and added something that was missing.
Cool! And is it possible to put reactions to responses in projects in the near future, as in posts? like this :D
This is unrelated, but please use an opaque brush.

Okay, I'll try not to do it again next time

BBS Signature

Response to Feed Update - Ignore Reviews Per Project 2024-05-15 07:51:26

At 5/15/24 03:54 AM, Anonymous-Frog wrote:
At 5/14/24 03:22 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 5/14/24 02:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: Small but handy update today! While Josh has been deep in the feed overhaul, he fixed something that wasn’t working correctly and added something that was missing.
Cool! And is it possible to put reactions to responses in projects in the near future, as in posts? like this :D
This is something we're keeping in mind for a larger commenting overhaul.
What do you have in mind?

In particular, nested replies more akin to Reddit and YouTube, where conversations can branch out under an individual comment without everything being one long chronological list. This will be for blog posts but we're considering allowing Supporters to reply to reviews, so deeper conversations can happen there as well. That second one might be too much drama to be worth it but we might also be missing out on a lot of interesting discussion.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Feed Update - Ignore Reviews Per Project 2024-05-15 08:12:51

At 5/15/24 07:51 AM, TomFulp wrote:
In particular, nested replies more akin to Reddit and YouTube, where conversations can branch out under an individual comment without everything being one long chronological list. This will be for blog posts but we're considering allowing Supporters to reply to reviews, so deeper conversations can happen there as well. That second one might be too much drama to be worth it but we might also be missing out on a lot of interesting discussion.

Not recommended. Much like YouTube comments, it will just end up messy and spammy. Even the review responses on large-scale collabs devolve like this.

Response to Feed Update - Ignore Reviews Per Project 2024-05-15 08:38:46

Finally i would be able to join a collab, and be able to disable these reviews!

I'm a rat. That's all i will say in my signature.

Response to Feed Update - Ignore Reviews Per Project 2024-05-15 08:49:13

I think restricting it to supporters is wise

maybe then if someone makes an infuriating enough review people will flock enmasse to donate to the site just to be able to yell at them

jokes aside yeah more meaningful back and forth could be interesting

What's a Signature text? Why'd I click on this? How do I leave?

At 5/15/24 08:12 AM, Anonymous-Frog wrote:
Not recommended. Much like YouTube comments, it will just end up messy and spammy. Even the review responses on large-scale collabs devolve like this.

Since it's supposed to be nested - it should result in less clutter than what can happen currently - even if it allows for more comments?

CRACKEGGS 2 COMING 2026

Response to Feed Update - Ignore Reviews Per Project 2024-05-15 11:14:33

Finally, I can hide people who are being very salty about something being Daily top pick because of their own Envy.

BBS Signature

Response to Feed Update - Ignore Reviews Per Project 2024-05-15 12:46:52

Mean while on Twitter Elon is begging people to stop using the block button. In all seriousness thank you for your hard work and dedication to this platform after all this time and features like this will be more than helpful in the future.

This is why I support a platform like this and not a platform like Twitter, one of the few platforms that genuinely listen to user feedback and actually acts on it.

Response to Feed Update - Ignore Reviews Per Project 2024-05-15 13:20:05

Looks nice!

Who knows, this might be pretty useful nowadays.

A member of Thumbnail Crew!, you should help as well!

AKA fe3l1ngsk1lled and Skilled!

BBS Signature

Response to Feed Update - Ignore Reviews Per Project 2024-05-16 01:02:14

At 5/15/24 08:56 AM, Kolumbo wrote:
At 5/15/24 08:12 AM, Anonymous-Frog wrote:
Since it's supposed to be nested - it should result in less clutter than what can happen currently - even if it allows for more comments?

I'm guessing it'll be hidden by default, like on YouTube.

If this update is to come to fruition, here's how I'd like it to be done. This largely applies to review responses and replies.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on these.

1): We need to crack down more on spam.

A lot of "reviews", especially those on more popular submissions with younger users, tend to be super short and sometimes don't even provide good feedback.

This space is intended for constructive criticism and we want to encourage more people to use it that way.

To do that, I'd suggest revising the Review Guidelines, update the minimum word/character limit, and allow some shorter, less helpful, more braindead "reviews" to be flagged as spam.

That way, the extra comments are more likely add to the experience, rather than just bloat an already bloated system.

2) Make responding to reviews Supporter-only. (and of course the creators and credited users). You wouldn't imagine how many braindead kids might abuse this feature

3) As the mock-up below shows, replies are to be sorted by date, the author's response always shows first. Only the lead author (and managers) will get this priority. Existing collaborator responses will be migrated to standard comments.

You can also react to and flag responses, including the author's.

iu_1204491_8157415.png

4: Only supporters and credited users can respond. This will block out a lot of n00bs, but trust me, it's for the greater good. Non-supporters can still review and react to other replies, which is honestly still pretty convenient.

5: Limited to 300 characters, akin to X (currently completed its Twitter transition). This is despite NG's tendency to have character limits in the thousands. I told you this might get bloated.

6: Spam cooldown: A 60-second reply limit. Also a 1-thread limit per review / nest, same with reviews.

Response to Feed Update - Ignore Reviews Per Project 2024-05-16 08:09:50

At 5/16/24 01:02 AM, Anonymous-Frog wrote: If this update is to come to fruition, here's how I'd like it to be done. This largely applies to review responses and replies.

A lot of "reviews", especially those on more popular submissions with younger users, tend to be super short and sometimes don't even provide good feedback.
This space is intended for constructive criticism and we want to encourage more people to use it that way.
To do that, I'd suggest revising the Review Guidelines, update the minimum word/character limit, and allow some shorter, less helpful, more braindead "reviews" to be flagged as spam.
That way, the extra comments are more likely add to the experience, rather than just bloat an already bloated system.

I think this is an overall losing battle with how people want to engage with the Internet. Being more strict with this space might result in a few more people writing constructive reviews but overall it would just mean less engagement with stuff. A lot of artists also aren't looking for critical reviews when they post stuff, they are happy to hear comments from people who enjoyed it.

2) Make responding to reviews Supporter-only. (and of course the creators and credited users). You wouldn't imagine how many braindead kids might abuse this feature

Responding to reviews would be Supporter only. It's possible we could even let project managers delete replies, to moderate their own space a little.

3) As the mock-up below shows, replies are to be sorted by date, the author's response always shows first. Only the lead author (and managers) will get this priority. Existing collaborator responses will be migrated to standard comments.

That's the plan, that author responses would stack at the top and be the only ones visible by default in the view page; the rest would be collapsed under a link to expand the replies.

4: Only supporters and credited users can respond. This will block out a lot of n00bs, but trust me, it's for the greater good. Non-supporters can still review and react to other replies, which is honestly still pretty convenient.

I think that's the same as #2? Let me know if you mean something different there.

5: Limited to 300 characters, akin to X (currently completed its Twitter transition). This is despite NG's tendency to have character limits in the thousands. I told you this might get bloated.

Alternatively we could crop long posts with a link to expand, similar to blog posts in feeds (although I think we should try increasing the default visible length on those, to make more blog posts fully-visible by default in the feed).

6: Spam cooldown: A 60-second reply limit. Also a 1-thread limit per review / nest, same with reviews.

We probably would need to put some throttling in there.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Feed Update - Ignore Reviews Per Project 2024-05-16 17:43:40

At 5/16/24 08:09 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 5/16/24 01:02 AM, Anonymous-Frog wrote: If this update is to come to fruition, here's how I'd like it to be done. This largely applies to review responses and replies.

I think this is an overall losing battle with how people want to engage with the Internet. Being more strict with this space might result in a few more people writing constructive reviews but overall it would just mean less engagement with stuff. A lot of artists also aren't looking for critical reviews when they post stuff, they are happy to hear comments from people who enjoyed it.

Responding to reviews would be Supporter only. It's possible we could even let project managers delete replies, to moderate their own space a little.

That's the plan, that author responses would stack at the top and be the only ones visible by default in the view page; the rest would be collapsed under a link to expand the replies.

I think that's the same as #2? Let me know if you mean something different there.

Alternatively we could crop long posts with a link to expand, similar to blog posts in feeds (although I think we should try increasing the default visible length on those, to make more blog posts fully-visible by default in the feed).

We probably would need to put some throttling in there.

@TomFulp, Do You Want To Have The Awards On The Eulogy Pages On The Obituaries?

iu_1204751_19669212.webp

BBS Signature

At 5/14/24 03:53 PM, AlexToolStudio wrote: Useful for if your one of the maker of FNF

Now I cant convert the funkin crew into anarchists

Thanks tom

Response to Feed Update - Ignore Reviews Per Project 2024-05-17 12:44:28

I had no idea this brand new feature would already come in handy! :D

iu_1205110_3945050.png

Thanks so much, NG staff! ❤

BBS Signature