00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiritobaka just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

graphics question

982 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

graphics question 2004-07-12 19:13:12

hi, im new to flash (...pause to allow time for "ughh not another n00b"....) and i was just wondering how everyone makes their graphics.

do you draw them in flash or draw them in other programs(paint, corel draw, paintshop, etc) and import them into flash?

just wondering...

thanks

Response to graphics question 2004-07-12 19:16:40

Only morons use the word noob frivolously, you aren't an idiot.
I draw most of my stuff in flash with a wacom drawing tablet and the brush tool (though I do use pencil, when the line is set to rough and solid)

BBS Signature

Response to graphics question 2004-07-12 19:33:23

I draw everything with the tools Flash provides.

BBS Signature

Response to graphics question 2004-07-12 20:00:53

Have I seen this thread before... =S

Aaaanyway, I have a really strong preference with the paint brush tool, it's just .. very flexible for a bad drawer like me XD

Response to graphics question 2004-07-12 21:30:43

At 7/12/04 07:13 PM, xburtonx wrote: hi, im new to flash

when making flash there is one rule as far as importing. It must be vector based art, or shapes based on several points mathmaticaly pinpointed to define a shape and its fill. So you'd be foolish to draw them as bitmaps in programs like you listed
:(paint, corel draw, paintshop, etc) and import them into flash

Even fabulous programs like Photoshop and Fireworks arent very good for importing to flash.

I personaly dont draw in flash. the shapes are hard to manipulate as the stroke seperates from the fill to easily. Instead i import all my graphic vectors frome ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR.. MACROMEDIA FREEHAND is a good choice too.. and i recomend making your pics in those programs very highly for a nice flash cartoon

BBS Signature

Response to graphics question 2004-07-12 21:46:36

At 7/12/04 09:30 PM, ArtistJ wrote: I personaly dont draw in flash. the shapes are hard to manipulate as the stroke seperates from the fill to easily. Instead i import all my graphic vectors frome ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR.. MACROMEDIA FREEHAND is a good choice too.. and i recomend making your pics in those programs very highly for a nice flash cartoon

Are those vector based programs? Can you import the vector into flash? As for the stroke separating from the fill, it just takes a bit of time to get used to. Flash was the first program I learned to draw in so now it's what I work best with. I occasionally use photoshop to add an affect that Flash isn't capable of, such as blurring.

Response to graphics question 2004-07-12 21:51:52

At 7/12/04 08:00 PM, Rush152 wrote: Have I seen this thread before... =S

Expect to see a lot of threads repeated. This isn't really allowed at once, but once the thread disappears, a similar one will probably be made by someone else not long after. After about a year, you won't really get to see new threads anymore, just carbon copies of old ones. No fault of the authors, either. It's just different people with the same problems at a different time.

BBS Signature

Response to graphics question 2004-07-13 00:45:31

At 7/12/04 09:46 PM, Grenade_Clock wrote:
At 7/12/04 09:30 PM, ArtistJ wrote:

. Instead i import all my graphic vectors frome ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR.. MACROMEDIA FREEHAND is a good choice too.. and i recomend making your pics in those programs very highly for a nice flash cartoon

Are those vector based programs? Can you import the vector into flash? As for the stroke separating from the fill, it just takes a bit of time to get used to. Flash was the first program I learned to draw in so now it's what I work best with. I occasionally use photoshop to add an affect that Flash isn't capable of, such as blurring.

Yes those are vector based programs. They work alot beter then flash. as you can see, Macromdeia even made freehand because its beter to draw in than flash. I simply draw all my objects on one giant board with diferent things to choose from the way you would a sprite sheet. then i import all my objects into FlashMX as diferent symbols. I put all the symbols in bigger symbols with other symbols. Than i take my super symbol and place it on the time line. Let it be noted that most of my work is tweened, since frame by frame would be ridiculously tedious in this maner. (hope this wasnt to confuseing)

oh, and things like blurring, flash is capable of. You just need some actionscript for that! realy you should never have to use photoshop in flash, although i ocasionaly do. Its definately my favorite graphics application.. but Not for flash animations. The files just get to big. Vectors keep everything nice and packed and smooth.. the way they should be.

BBS Signature