00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

b0sszkr1 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme

75,687 Views | 157 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-08 04:43:57

At 7/7/21 05:26 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 7/6/21 02:11 PM, BlitzNinja wrote: Newgrounds is the best place to be
You just found out? I have known that since 2002. Better late than never I guess. lol

STRONG BAD WHAT

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-08 04:45:13

You just found out? I have known that since 2002. Better late than never I guess. lol

will yeah

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-08 04:45:55

At 7/8/21 04:45 AM, BlitzNinja wrote:
will yeah

well i did in 2020

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-08 21:37:14

So I'm guessing that means no cussing or large amounts of gore since its a saturday morning cartoon. With it being Newgrounds I would think there would be a little.

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-08 21:42:24

At 7/8/21 09:37 PM, JCaluger wrote: So I'm guessing that means no cussing or large amounts of gore since its a saturday morning cartoon. With it being Newgrounds I would think there would be a little.

Sure, though I do think there's a lot of opportunity to take inspiration from he-man and that shit with their funny fake curses!

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-09 14:52:28

At 7/2/21 11:57 AM, TomFulp wrote: If you’d like to chip in to boost the Summer Animation Jams prizes, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up that you donated towards the Summer Animation Jams!

If you’re a donor and you’re interested in discussing future rounds, themes, and judges, shoot @BrandyBuizel a PM as well. We have a lot of ideas to work with but maybe you have something great to add; Round 2 specifically was based on a suggestion made by @AnonymousAlchemist and the theme is…

So me and some friends are making an animation and I saw this and decided to make it like a pinky and the brain episode

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-09 14:55:18

Great show!

At 7/9/21 02:52 PM, Mccookieboi wrote:
At 7/2/21 11:57 AM, TomFulp wrote: If you’d like to chip in to boost the Summer Animation Jams prizes, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up that you donated towards the Summer Animation Jams!

If you’re a donor and you’re interested in discussing future rounds, themes, and judges, shoot @BrandyBuizel a PM as well. We have a lot of ideas to work with but maybe you have something great to add; Round 2 specifically was based on a suggestion made by @AnonymousAlchemist and the theme is…

Saturday Morning Newgrounds
"What if Newgrounds was your Saturday Morning cartoon-block on TV?"

The challenge this time is for animators to emulate the style of both classic and retro television cartoons from the 1970s to 1999. Make use of classic tropes (imagine if Pico's School was retold like an episode of Scooby-Doo), stylize your work to fit different eras (like GI Joe shown in glorious Standard Definition with VHS static and broadcast quality color), and entertain the internet on Saturday Morning, July 24th!

Make use of classic Newgrounds games, movies, and characters for subjects(share the original content that inspired you in your project description), or take on the challenge with your own original characters. @HappyHarry is one creator heavily influenced by this era of western animation and uses that lens on their own IP, such as DR. BEES!

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/793162

JAM REQUIREMENTS

Upload your animation to Newgrounds any time between now and the due date. There is no formal signup process, just tag your entry with “Saturday-Morning-Newgrounds” to enter.

Music must not present licensing / royalty issues. Good resources include the Audio Portal (see Creative Commons info or ask for permission), an original composition by a teammate or one of these many royalty-free resources.

Try your best to make cereal milk come out my nose, and dig deep to find Newgrounds legends gathering dust!

Round Two Judges:

@BrandyBuizel - “**** you, it’s my birthday, I’m judging ROUND 2 too.”

@el-cid - The man lives and breathes cartoons. He’s got some weird tastes and I dig it. Rodrigo here works hard and has a good eye for quality work that 6,160 fans on Newgrounds can recognize (I hope typing the actual number forces Tom to update it daily).

@IvanAlmighty - Hosted some of the largest collaborative projects on the website including the Smash Collab and the DBZ Collab a couple years back. He’s a kickass freelance animator too!

@Cymbourine - I dunno, I like her name and she said she’d do it. I think she stole it from The Adventures of Cookie & Cream video game and that’s a 10/10 guaranteed.

@AnonymousAlchemist - One of the donors to the Summer Animation Jams and suggested the original concept behind Round 2’s theme.

@jaxxy - Do you know obscure western cartoons that you won’t believe got made? She does.

@ChutneyGlaze - Created a fun, original series with Hanna-Barbera sounds alone. Currently working on Sheriff Bean.

Judges can choose to participate in a round, but they will not be considered in the rankings for that round.

Due Date:
Friday, July 23rd 11:59PM PST

Don’t be late, cause I hear @BrandyBuizel is going to be streaming your entries Saturday Morning on the Newgrounds Festivals YouTube Channel, July 24th (exact time TBD), with pajamas and creal at the ready. Happy Animating!

Ongoing Jam Prize Pool

@ScarecrowArts, @SrPelo, and Newgrounds each tossed in $500, @Derpixon $300, @AnonymousAlchemist and @LumpyTouch $200 each, @summerskoo, @53xy83457 and @SevenOnAStick each gave $100, @tiarawhy $75, @Iggykoop, @StaggerNight, @PssychoPie, @ZaazNG, @1DarkVoid, @Butzbo and @CaperCube each gave $50, @NickSenny $30, @MKMaffo $25, @ConnorGrail $20 and an anonymous fan donated $1,500!

The winners with the most points by the end of the event will be awarded these prizes:

1st - $1,300 + 1st place winner shirt
2nd - $900 + 2nd place winner shirt
3rd - $670 + 3rd place winner shirt
4th - $500
5th - $400
6th - $250
7th - $150
8th - $130
9th - $100
10th - $100

Reminder: These prizes are not per round, they are awarded at the end of the Summer Jams event after multiple rounds.

Each winner will also receive a copy of The Story Goes On by @ScarecrowArts on the platform of your choice(Steam/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch), and two copies of Frame Game, an upcoming game from @CaperCube and @stejkRobot on Steam (demo on newgrounds)!

@Domdude111 created this awesome promo image for ROUND 2!
So me and some friends are making an animation and I saw this and decided to make it like a pinky and the brain episode

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-09 15:01:54

At 7/9/21 02:55 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote: Great show!

At 7/9/21 02:52 PM, Mccookieboi wrote:

The challenge this time is for animators to emulate the style of both classic and retro television cartoons from the 1970s to 1999. Make use of classic tropes (imagine if Pico's School was retold like an episode of Scooby-Doo), stylize your work to fit different eras (like GI Joe shown in glorious Standard Definition with VHS static and broadcast quality color), and entertain the internet on Saturday Morning, July 24th!

Make use of classic Newgrounds games, movies, and characters for subjects(share the original content that inspired you in your project description), or take on the challenge with your own original characters. @HappyHarry is one creator heavily influenced by this era of western animation and uses that lens on their own IP, such as DR. BEES!

JAM REQUIREMENTS

Upload your animation to Newgrounds any time between now and the due date. There is no formal signup process, just tag your entry with “Saturday-Morning-Newgrounds” to enter.

Music must not present licensing / royalty issues. Good resources include the Audio Portal (see Creative Commons info or ask for permission), an original composition by a teammate or one of these many royalty-free resources.

Try your best to make cereal milk come out my nose, and dig deep to find Newgrounds legends gathering dust!

Round Two Judges:

@el-cid - The man lives and breathes cartoons. He’s got some weird tastes and I dig it. Rodrigo here works hard and has a good eye for quality work that 6,160 fans on Newgrounds can recognize (I hope typing the actual number forces Tom to update it daily).

@IvanAlmighty - Hosted some of the largest collaborative projects on the website including the Smash Collab and the DBZ Collab a couple years back. He’s a kickass freelance animator too!

@Cymbourine - I dunno, I like her name and she said she’d do it. I think she stole it from The Adventures of Cookie & Cream video game and that’s a 10/10 guaranteed.

@AnonymousAlchemist - One of the donors to the Summer Animation Jams and suggested the original concept behind Round 2’s theme.

@jaxxy - Do you know obscure western cartoons that you won’t believe got made? She does.

@ChutneyGlaze - Created a fun, original series with Hanna-Barbera sounds alone. Currently working on Sheriff Bean.

Judges can choose to participate in a round, but they will not be considered in the rankings for that round.

Due Date:

Don’t be late, cause I hear @BrandyBuizel is going to be streaming your entries Saturday Morning on the Newgrounds Festivals YouTube Channel, July 24th (exact time TBD), with pajamas and creal at the ready. Happy Animating!

Ongoing Jam Prize Pool

@ScarecrowArts, @SrPelo, and Newgrounds each tossed in $500, @Derpixon $300, @AnonymousAlchemist and @LumpyTouch $200 each, @summerskoo, @53xy83457 and @SevenOnAStick each gave $100, @tiarawhy $75, @Iggykoop, @StaggerNight, @PssychoPie, @ZaazNG, @1DarkVoid, @Butzbo and @CaperCube each gave $50, @NickSenny $30, @MKMaffo $25, @ConnorGrail $20 and an anonymous fan donated $1,500!

The winners with the most points by the end of the event will be awarded these prizes:

4th - $500
5th - $400
6th - $250
7th - $150
8th - $130
9th - $100
10th - $100

Reminder: These prizes are not per round, they are awarded at the end of the Summer Jams event after multiple rounds.

Each winner will also receive a copy of The Story Goes On by @ScarecrowArts on the platform of your choice(Steam/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch), and two copies of Frame Game, an upcoming game from @CaperCube and @stejkRobot on Steam (demo on newgrounds)!

Dude it is even the reboot on that new animamanics show

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-09 15:04:28

At 7/2/21 01:53 PM, Robeanie wrote:

JAM REQUIREMENTS

Round Two Judges:

Due Date:

Ongoing Jam Prize Pool

4th - $500
5th - $400
6th - $250
7th - $150
8th - $130
9th - $100
10th - $100

About the sfw thing, is character death allowed?

Yes as I watched 4kids and sonic x had deaths it is acceptable and a part of life

Looking forward to it. I hope your cartoons make me cry bitterly. I need to feel something again. Thank you & God bless.

Hi. I have never participated in any competitions or any other kind of events on Newgroumds before. I read this thread because "Newgrounds Saturday Morning" piqued my curiosity. Newgrounds technically wants to emulate the old-school feel of the Saturday Morning cartoon viewing experience online but in the form of a contest.

In the beginning of the thread Tom posts:

At 7/2/21 11:57 AM, TomFulp wrote:
The challenge this time is for animators to emulate the style of both classic and retro television cartoons from the 1970s to 1999.

But under "JAM REQUIREMENTS" it says:

"Your aesthetic style should be reminiscent of cartoons from the Saturday Morning phenomenon 1969-1999."

Which is it? Can the cartoons reflect times earlier than 1969? Why can't the cartoons reflect the early- to mid-'60s? Saturday Morning cartoons on American TV actually began in the '50s.

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-10 08:48:16

At 7/10/21 08:11 AM, ngman7 wrote: Hi. I have never participated in any competitions or any other kind of events on Newgroumds before. I read this thread because "Newgrounds Saturday Morning" piqued my curiosity. Newgrounds technically wants to emulate the old-school feel of the Saturday Morning cartoon viewing experience online but in the form of a contest.

The challenge this time is for animators to emulate the style of both classic and retro television cartoons from the 1970s to 1999.

"Your aesthetic style should be reminiscent of cartoons from the Saturday Morning phenomenon 1969-1999."

Which is it? Can the cartoons reflect times earlier than 1969? Why can't the cartoons reflect the early- to mid-'60s? Saturday Morning cartoons on American TV actually began in the '50s.

Myself and a few others who concocted the theme felt the Saturday Morning Era really began with Scooby-Doo in 1969 and lost its luster in the early 2000s. If you have any cartoons you feel are appropriate to the theme, then feel free to post them here, or make your submission with them in mind(I'm sure it'll be great). We're not gonna be a bunch of hardasses about the specifics, just trying to push people in the right direction!

In the end we really just want to see fun new content on the site :)

The title-card for the animation is done.

iu_353651_8677926.webp

Shoutout to @Anthony-LeDeath for came up with a idea for a name.

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-10 09:48:18

At 7/10/21 09:13 AM, MMFan2004 wrote: The title-card for the animation is done.

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-10 09:48:28

At 7/10/21 09:13 AM, MMFan2004 wrote: The title-card for the animation is done.

LES FUCKING GOOOO

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-10 09:55:26

At 7/10/21 08:48 AM, BrandyBuizel wrote:
At 7/10/21 08:11 AM, ngman7 wrote: Hi. I have never participated in any competitions or any other kind of events on Newgroumds before. I read this thread because "Newgrounds Saturday Morning" piqued my curiosity. Newgrounds technically wants to emulate the old-school feel of the Saturday Morning cartoon viewing experience online but in the form of a contest.

Myself and a few others who concocted the theme felt the Saturday Morning Era really began with Scooby-Doo in 1969 and lost its luster in the early 2000s. If you have any cartoons you feel are appropriate to the theme, then feel free to post them here, or make your submission with them in mind(I'm sure it'll be great). We're not gonna be a bunch of hardasses about the specifics, just trying to push people in the right direction!

Well I'm obviously not going to have anything prepared to be submitted an shown by the contest's deadline. I had some ideas for some cartoons I would have wanted to produce. I don't want to go into details about my ideas and disclose what they are here.

I want to produce cartoons that are throwbacks to old Golden Age Hollywood cartoons and old '80s and '90s TV cartoons.

I did want to create an animated promo that is vaudeville-themed for an original cartoon series that is partially inspired from the opening The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show from 1960. (In the opening of the show Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck do a little song-and-dance number on stage to introduce the show with. The show later became The Bugs Bunny and Twenty Show and opened with similar openings with Bugs and Daffy.) I would later change it to be used in the opening of my series.

I am wondering if what I wanted to submit would have been an acceptable submission.

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-10 13:02:42

At 7/10/21 09:55 AM, ngman7 wrote:

Well I'm obviously not going to have anything prepared to be submitted an shown by the contest's deadline. I had some ideas for some cartoons I would have wanted to produce. I don't want to go into details about my ideas and disclose what they are here.

I want to produce cartoons that are throwbacks to old Golden Age Hollywood cartoons and old '80s and '90s TV cartoons.

I did want to create an animated promo that is vaudeville-themed for an original cartoon series that is partially inspired from the opening The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show from 1960. (In the opening of the show Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck do a little song-and-dance number on stage to introduce the show with. The show later became The Bugs Bunny and Twenty Show and opened with similar openings with Bugs and Daffy.) I would later change it to be used in the opening of my series.

I am wondering if what I wanted to submit would have been an acceptable submission.

I'm wondering why I didn't get a response to this post.

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-10 13:26:09

I don't see why not, so long as the above guidelines are met(e.g. 4:3 aspect ratio).

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-10 13:27:11

At 7/10/21 01:02 PM, ngman7 wrote:

Not always checking the website, it's only been 3 hours

At 7/10/21 01:27 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote:
At 7/10/21 01:02 PM, ngman7 wrote:

Not always checking the website, it's only been 3 hours

Okay. Wasn't trying to be a nuisance. Thank you for responding.

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-10 13:38:52

At 7/10/21 01:26 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote:

I don't see why not, so long as the above guidelines are met(e.g. 4:3 aspect ratio).

Thank you.

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-11 03:58:04

I am so ready for round 2. Looking forward to the results.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-11 07:59:03

At 7/11/21 03:58 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: I am so ready for round 2. Looking forward to the results.

Cool

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-11 09:00:09

iu_354701_8677926.webp

A character sheet that i made. I had to change a design a bit so i can animate it easily. So what do you guys think?

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-11 14:43:44

At 7/11/21 03:58 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: I am so ready for round 2. Looking forward to the results.

Still 12 days on the clock! So... Far away...

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-11 16:51:35

I'm not too familiar with the shenanigans on this site, but is it true that as of 07/11 there are only 3 entries to the “Saturday-Morning-Newgrounds” so far?

I was just wondering... clicking on that tag in your post only returned three results.

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-11 17:22:37

At 7/11/21 04:51 PM, ZILLIS wrote: I'm not too familiar with the shenanigans on this site, but is it true that as of 07/11 there are only 3 entries to the “Saturday-Morning-Newgrounds” so far?
I was just wondering... clicking on that tag in your post only returned three results.

Yes that is true, but not unusual! Most people take all the time they can get to work on their entries and we received 80% of ROUND 1's submissions in just the final 2 days.

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-11 17:27:21

At 7/11/21 05:22 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote: Yes that is true

OK, thanks. I'm gonna' get started!

Response to Summer Jams Round 1 Winners & Round 2 Theme 2021-07-12 03:42:25

At 7/11/21 07:59 AM, BlitzNinja wrote:
Cool

Are you going to make a submission?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Sharing some progress of my cartoon for the Saturday Morning Jam. Here is a random rough storyboard of my cartoon The Dragon and Me.

iu_355448_3929117.webp