00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pico Day 2020 and Other News

28,331 Views | 67 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Pico Day will be on Saturday, May 9th this year!

Pico Day is a celebration of all things Newgrounds, going all the way back to 2006.

This year we are celebrating with an art contest! The theme is to create fan art for anything you’ve enjoyed here on Newgrounds; your favorite people, animations, games, bots, whatever!

Prizes for Best Art:

1st - $200

2nd - $150

3rd - $100

4th - $100

5th - $100

To participate, upload your piece on Saturday, May 9th and tag it with PicoDay2020.

You’re still welcome to participate with animation, games or music if you'd like. We look forward to seeing what you make! Keep in mind, it doesn’t have to be old in-house characters like Pico and Tankmen. It can be anything by anyone you’ve enjoyed here on NG.

Supporter Update

We crossed 2,900 active supporters for the first time ever this week! Thank you everyone who has been helping us on our quest to transition Newgrounds away from ads. In March an update will introduce Stripe as an additional checkout option and we're really curious to see what the result will be.

We could really use more support now, though! If you have the means, please consider becoming a monthly or yearly Supporter.

Site Updates

An update to the PM system is in progress, migrating everything to the modern and mobile-friendly layout. The list of pages on the old layout has gotten really short and we’re looking forward to the transition being complete!

Audio Stuff

There’s a ton of great music to discover in the Audio Portal! If you don’t get there often, be sure to check out the Featured listing. Otherwise, the Latest listing is a great way to discover and support new artists and it would be much appreciated if you voted on songs as you listen; it helps make community favorites stand out.

If you missed it, I was interviewed on the @ACoupleOfCrickets podcast earlier this month.

This was the final episode of Crickets, which has now combined with the @GroundsPatrol podcast to become the almighty @TheNewgroundsPodcast. The latest episode has an interview with @wavetro, who has been on a tear with hit animation after hit animation:

Final Thoughts

I'd also like to note you should be trying to watch every animation that hits the front page. There is a ton of good stuff that deserves waaaaay more eyeballs. The movies here are seriously so much better than what people are watching in other places. Believe it!

If you’re at PAX this weekend, be sure to swing by the Behemoth booth and play Alien Hominid Invasion:

Otherwise, see you here on NG! You can play the original web version of Alien Hominid, now running via in-browser Flash emulation thanks to @Mike and the team at Ruffle.rs. If you’d like to support ongoing Flash preservation efforts, consider becoming a Ruffle sponsor!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

I NEED THAT ALIEN HOMINID GAME THOMAS FULPERINO. GIVE ME THE GAME

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-28 15:56:46

newgrounds

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-28 16:01:57

Newgrounds is better than sex.... I started using it in 2005 when I was 8 years old, and I would always go to the NSFW section as a joke. Thanks for all the fun times.

I'm like nelson mandela... every time you punish me, I only get stronger......

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-28 16:03:08

At 2/28/20 04:01 PM, MeatMaster wrote: Newgrounds is better than sex.... I started using it in 2005 when I was 8 years old, and I would always go to the NSFW section as a joke. Thanks for all the fun times.

NSFW started as a joke... Then things got real.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-28 16:21:21

Glad to hear almost everything's mobile friendly! That's a journey right there...how long has it been since ya'll started?

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-28 16:36:20

At 2/28/20 04:21 PM, KyleRoberts wrote: Glad to hear almost everything's mobile friendly! That's a journey right there...how long has it been since ya'll started?

We started transitioning from the 2012 layout in late 2016. A lot of other changes and improvements have come along the way and this design is more iterative where it's continually evolving as we go.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-28 16:45:08

Fuck yeaaah time to shine!!

hi :)

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-28 17:40:06

I hope I can submit in time since I might go to a con the same day in my town . But this year looks exciting

She/They, 19., I draw sometimes.

Support me on ko-fi, it helps!

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-28 18:14:25

pico day pico day

It's gonna be real good this year..

Come on down to Fulpstation, baby

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-28 18:37:52

Prizes for Best Art:

1st - $200
2nd - $150
3rd - $100
4th - $100
5th - $100

No animation? :(

Time to post an animated gif into the art portal and win this hehehehehe

"In matters of taste there can be no disputes."

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-28 22:31:10

Newgrounds is a part of all internet history!

It is a great honor to be a brick in this wall!

BTW, when I found that Newgrounds have a Newdgrounds, I just took it like a joke, but now It became something more.

Great thx to NG stuff for clear judgement and freedom!

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-29 00:36:17

Hell yeah! Keeping the good NG alive and well!

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-29 00:39:02

I'd remembered that you made the original in 1999 I gotta say Pico was the stuff!

Quantum

I watched all the animations on the frontpage lately and its seriously awesome stuff! I'm still sorry that I didn't upload anything for the Phaser Jam, but I just wasn't able to make anything worth uploading in the given time. Well, that teaches me, once again, that I shouldn't make promises that I cannot keep. However, at least, I worked through the tutorials posted by @PsychoGoldfish. :) They were greatly written and I really appreciate his effort, keeping in mind, that he even made a Phasergame on top of all that. Just awesome!

At 2/28/20 03:18 PM, TomFulp wrote: Pico Day will be on Saturday, May 9th this year!

Pico Day is a celebration of all things Newgrounds, going all the way back to 2006.

This year we are celebrating with an art contest! The theme is to create fan art for anything you’ve enjoyed here on Newgrounds; your favorite people, animations, games, bots, whatever!

Prizes for Best Art:

1st - $200
2nd - $150
3rd - $100
4th - $100
5th - $100

If you’re at PAX this weekend, be sure to swing by the Behemoth booth and play Alien Hominid Invasion:

Otherwise, see you here on NG! You can play the original web version of Alien Hominid, now running via in-browser Flash emulation thanks to @Mike and the team at Ruffle.rs. If you’d like to support ongoing Flash preservation efforts, consider becoming a Ruffle sponsor!

Tom can I have an alien hominid key I can’t goto pax I’m going to brunch instead. Also first post. iu_97460_28372.jpg

None

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-29 09:52:55

Pico day is the best day on the internet! Fantastic news on the 2900 supporters, hope to see it reach 3000 soon enough! :D

Damn that Alien Hominid game looks great, I played the original just like 3 months ago on the ps2 and I found it to be a really good game. though still no ps4 version for this new one ? Awell steam works fine :)

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-29 11:00:36

Any chance of  Alien Hominid Invasion coming to ps4

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-29 11:03:04

Any chance of Alien Hominid Invasion coming to ps4 Tom

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-29 11:24:30

At 2/29/20 11:00 AM, SteveZarebski wrote: Any chance of Alien Hominid Invasion coming to ps4

Only time will tell!

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-29 12:53:17

Do you have to be scouted to participate? I’d love to make some art for this but I don’t have any art on my profile yet.

BBS Signature

Redesign almost complete, Supporters moving to nigh undreamable numbers and beyond, popular payment gateways entering the scene... everything's going pretty well lately. That ACOCK interview was great too, so much insight. Some official Tomcast or re-occurring appearances on the other one would be nice, seems like the right kind of and maybe also faster medium to really delve into details and speak about what's going on. Not as formal as the news either.

New Alien Hominid too. Hype. Surprised it hasn't been announced before this, looking at how long it's been official now.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-29 13:57:02

At 2/29/20 12:53 PM, ECarterSterling wrote: Do you have to be scouted to participate? I’d love to make some art for this but I don’t have any art on my profile yet.

I'd believe it's for everyone unless stated otherwise. You can browse all entries with a particular tag regardless of scouting status, and a lot of newcomers jump on board with stuff like this.

Maybe you'll get scouted before it's time too though.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-29 14:26:20

At 2/29/20 01:53 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Redesign almost complete, Supporters moving to nigh undreamable numbers and beyond, popular payment gateways entering the scene... everything's going pretty well lately.

’tis a good time for the grounds. The community is nice

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-29 15:59:01

It would make sense to rename it to newgrounds day

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-29 16:16:22

At 2/29/20 02:26 PM, queefingwaterfalls wrote: ’tis a good time for the grounds. The community is nice

Indeed! Getting nicer and nicer too.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-29 16:25:36

At 2/29/20 03:59 PM, Kieran wrote: It would make sense to rename it to newgrounds day

It would, though apart from richness of tradition I feel personally like Pico brings in some personality.

Maybe brings people into the culture/community/history of the place a bit more too. Just gotta say I like it.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-29 17:16:23

I'll do my best

beep beep

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-29 19:56:08

I won't hold anything back for this year! Last year I was only a newbie, but now that I'm a slight rookie, I can say that you will see my full potential when I enter!

Response to Pico Day 2020 and Other News 2020-02-29 20:25:54

Is there any possibility of a re-release of the original Alien Hominid? My original PS2 copy is unfortunately long gone and I'd love to be able to play it on the Switch.

BBS Signature