00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

445 Views | 8 Replies

I wanted to discuss that film with the blue folk in, Avatar.
I don't understand how James Cameron is going to drag this on for 5 sequels?

Even just announcing that, before having made the first sequel... Seems... like a terrible idea. What happens if it totally flops? Locked into a dead franchise? Putting out films just to keep that little theme park alive??

The first one was a good film, don't get me wrong. It was cool, I like the concept. But it was hardly career-defining like Titanic or something. It had no memorable characters or any major personality about it, at all. It didn't really do anything we hadn't seen before, especially not if you play videogames. The whole thing seemed like more of a gimmick to sell the 3D TV and Cinema revolution, which never really took off anyway.

What exactly is holding up another 5 instalments of this?

Thoughts?

Response to Avatar 2017-07-25 08:31:55

Well, the first film was kind of a rehashed pocahontas, but now that they've established all the wonders of Pandora, they could write any number of stories on the planet. We've only seen a small part of the actual planet, perhaps there will be interaction with other parts of it? Perhaps a different intelligent species exists on the planet?

I can imagine a lot of possibilities; all I hope is that the story of the next installments isn't anything like the first one; I don't think there's much they can do there without it become the same tired old stories. I'd be bitterly disappointed if humans return with another expedition to try and regain control.

Anyway, I'm cautiously excited about it.

Response to Avatar 2017-07-25 10:38:07

At 7/25/17 08:31 AM, RightTime wrote: revenue

We have a winner. That's the magic word right there! Be interesting to see how the whole series stands up financially. That $2.8bn figure might need to hold up the other films...

At 7/25/17 08:31 AM, RightTime wrote: I'll almost definitely be seeing the second Avatar when it comes out as much out of curiosity as anything else. Cameron has made some very fine films in the past and it wasn't a bad film by any means. Plus, his films are generally better than most other films out at the time of their release in general theaters.

Yes.. This is true. I'll certainly give the second film a go. I'm not particularly excited, probably won't be watching it in a cinema but.. if it's only just on par with the first or worse, then... prft. I can't even finish that train of thought.

At 7/25/17 08:31 AM, Mich wrote: We've only seen a small part of the actual planet, perhaps there will be interaction with other parts of it? Perhaps a different intelligent species exists on the planet?

I can imagine a lot of possibilities; all I hope is that the story of the next installments isn't anything like the first one; I don't think there's much they can do there without it become the same tired old stories. I'd be bitterly disappointed if humans return with another expedition to try and regain control.

Yes. This is the only way it can be any good. It needs to leave the setting behind entirely and maybe link them up later on.
If it just picks up from humans and blue people living together, then some third party threat is introduced and they are all in danger ... YAWN. I don't need another 5 films of that.

At 7/25/17 09:36 AM, Sekhem wrote: weird 3d feet

Seriously, in 2D they look even weirder. The shadows are all messed up or something. Maybe it's just all that green screen again.

At 7/25/17 10:00 AM, sjwgenocide wrote: as a demonstration of what is possible of CGI in 2009 it was great, but it was not a good film

It wasn't even that great as that tbh. The stuff that was pure CGI all looked fake as hell. I could almost feel the soundstage.

At 7/25/17 10:00 AM, sjwgenocide wrote: he's going to die first

You feel it too, don't you.

The fact of the matter remains, that, films with more than two sequels generally tend to really suck. Even a lot of horror movies can't hold out for that many and that's easier in some respects, as horror franchises tend to get several instalments so there's less scrutiny. It's a big statement. I'm mostly wondering if he'll direct all of them, or pass it on if it flops...

Response to Avatar 2017-07-25 14:35:41

At 7/25/17 01:59 PM, Zornuzkull wrote: piece of giant blue pussy...

Heh...
> blue waffle

Response to Avatar 2017-07-25 17:31:18

Looking forward to Avatar Versus Predator.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar 2017-07-26 17:38:12

I believe it will be profitable to continue to make sequels. The first movie was well received based on sales, and that is what drives sequels. As long as the masses turn out they will make more.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of their past are doomed to repeat them.

Response to Avatar 2017-07-28 20:19:16

Avatar is one of the most horrendously overrated movies I've ever had the displeasure of watching. The story wasn't even worth one film let alone two or more.

Response to Avatar 2017-08-01 18:04:56

At 7/25/17 05:31 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Looking forward to Avatar Versus Predator.

I hope it flops that badly that we actually get this.

At 7/26/17 04:51 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: Now it seems like everybody feels like I did. What the heck took you guys so long?

I didn't even see it til a few years after it came out. Just didn't interest me. Then even when I did see it, I was still like meh. I don't get it either m9.

At 7/28/17 08:19 PM, Bit wrote: Avatar is one of the most horrendously overrated movies I've ever had the displeasure of watching. The story wasn't even worth one film let alone two or more.

Response to Avatar 2017-08-01 18:20:00

Never watched it.

I turn water into water

BBS Signature