00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Care2mchBEAR just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Bicycle camping

308 Views | 2 Replies

Bicycle camping 2017-05-26 18:01:03

Oh, hi there.

My name if FUNKbrs, and I'm powered by Hate.

I'd like to talk to you about bicycle camping.

Bicycle camping (go on, look it up, it's a thing. Also called "bike packing") is when you ride a bicycle out into the woods with a full camping kit, set up camp, pack up, and then ride again the next day. Many people who bicycle tour extremely long distances use this method, some of them traveling across entire continents.

I've developed a route for bicycle camping in Holly Springs National Forest in Mississippi from Memphis, TN. It's around 50 miles one-way, the whole trip being around a 100 miles total.

I've attempted the trip 8 times or so, and completed it only 6. Both failed attempts ended because of flat/tire issues.

The goal for this year has been to do this run at least once a month. I did on in jan., one in feb, failed once in march, and did two successful runs in april. This weekend I plan to complete the trip for May.

It's supposed to rain, but only over night and I have a tarp that should be adequate for the job. I carry a light weight hammock with a bug net, so I should be super secure as far as staying warm and dry.

I think I heard @BlueHippo did a trip like this a while back. Anybody else on the forums do any crazy shit like this? I've done it so many times I'm thinking about taking my mandolin with me.

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Bicycle camping 2017-05-30 00:00:40

Yeah I've done this a couple times, I plan on going on a month long honeymoon touring trip with my then to be wife here next summer, so preparing for all of that around town. I'm pretty bike obsessed these days, I'd be more than happy to blather on about tires and racks and panniers, saddle bags, titanium sporks.. the whole lot.

Bring the mandolin. My friend Adam always brings a little guitar and it never upsets a soul.

I'm curious about what is causing all your flat tires. tell me more about what is causing them, and what kind of tires you're running. I really wanna know all about your setup. LET'S DO IT. LET'S NERD OUT. Doesn't seem like a lot of people on here are into the bike camping, but dammit is it the best. Come to Austin some time, but before it gets too crazy hot haha.

Bicycle camping

blobstagramblobsite

BBS Signature

Response to Bicycle camping 2017-05-30 00:22:11

At 5/30/17 12:00 AM, BlueHippo wrote: I'd be more than happy to blather on about tires and racks and panniers, saddle bags, titanium sporks.. the whole lot.

I've been using a rear wire basket, and it's got some major upsides. I've never tried pannier bags, but I'm reaching the point where I probably should consider getting a set. I hear they're not too hard to make, though. I like being able to just throw things in my basket, which I don't feel I can do with bags.

Bring the mandolin. My friend Adam always brings a little guitar and it never upsets a soul.

So much extra weight, though. Still, it would be premium jam times once I got out to the campsite.

I'm curious about what is causing all your flat tires. tell me more about what is causing them, and what kind of tires you're running. I really wanna know all about your setup. LET'S DO IT. LET'S NERD OUT. Doesn't seem like a lot of people on here are into the bike camping, but dammit is it the best. Come to Austin some time, but before it gets too crazy hot haha.

Little bits of wire seem to be my main culprit when I'm riding major highways. I caught a screw once that took out my sidewall. I tried a piece of cardboard for a boot and it held for 20 miles. I now carry a light weight but still wire beaded emergency tire folded into three loops. I've been using a hammock and tarp set up that is ultra light weight.

I just got back from chewalla lake and it thunderstormed while I was down there. Still, using a tight ridgeline and diamond formation tarp, I didn't even get wet.

I use a steel bowl with a bailing wire tripod cradle thing I twisted up on site for cooking. I got some steel skewers I use for meats.

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature