00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Help w/ the task manager? (W10)

391 Views | 10 Replies

Help w/ the task manager? (W10) 2017-05-09 20:26:02

Hi guys! About 2 months ago my computer had a deadly stroke and just today it was fixed. Luckily all data could be saved despite several scans detecting damage in the hard drive, yay! Though it doesn't seem to be handling the afterwards of the CPUfart quite well.
You see, the task manager doesn't seem to work at all, it only shows the blank window and that's about it. I tried many fixes but none seems to work (and aparently all my system restore points were deleted). Does anybody know how to fix it?

Help w/ the task manager? (W10)

Response to Help w/ the task manager? (W10) 2017-05-09 20:48:16

Response to Help w/ the task manager? (W10) 2017-05-10 02:27:59

At 5/9/17 08:48 PM, EoD696 wrote: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Oh yeah, I tried running the setup troubleshooter and it didn't help. Anything else I could try without having to do a hard reset?

Response to Help w/ the task manager? (W10) 2017-05-10 02:31:53

You'd need a Windows developer to really answer this question, most of the programmer here have no experience with Windows applications.

BBS Signature

I wouldn't be worried about the task manager, the fact that you are getting bad sectors, and possibly health status issues with your hard drive(s) is the alarming thing.

Optimal and least painful option: backup your important shit, buy a new SSD and install the OS of your choosing on it. That way you'll have a clean install without any corruption, and ditching the shitty hard drive in favor of a solid state drive does wonders for your PC my man. I've had my SSD for over 6 years now, it hasn't had any runtime issues, and it's still just as fast as when I got it, because it doesn't deteriorate nearly as much.

You're gonna need to get a new drive sooner or later anyway, bad sectors indicate that something really isn't working right on a hardware level with your hard drive; it can literally fail any second. Now some people have had bad sectors for years and it's been fine and dandy, but it's not a risk worth taking. Many lives have been lost yo.

---

Also, CrystalDiskInfo usually gives reliable results when it comes to HDD and SSD issues. That's what you want to use if you didn't already.

Response to Help w/ the task manager? (W10) 2017-05-10 11:38:48

At 5/9/17 08:26 PM, AlixBalica wrote: You see, the task manager doesn't seem to work at all, it only shows the blank window and that's about it. I tried many fixes but none seems to work (and aparently all my system restore points were deleted). Does anybody know how to fix it?

What fixes have you tried? Is this a brand new drive (ie: has the broken one been replaced)? Is this a fresh installation of Windows or has the drive merely been cloned?

This looks like a symptom of a corruption in your Windows installation. You can run sfc /scannow to check the filesystem for corruption, but I think you need to run repairs on your installation of Windows. If you have an installation disc or USB, you can boot to that and choose advanced to run a repair installation (won't wipe your data).

BBS Signature

Response to Help w/ the task manager? (W10) 2017-05-10 11:55:23

At 5/10/17 11:38 AM, Evark wrote:
At 5/9/17 08:26 PM, AlixBalica wrote: You see, the task manager doesn't seem to work at all, it only shows the blank window and that's about it. I tried many fixes but none seems to work (and aparently all my system restore points were deleted). Does anybody know how to fix it?
What fixes have you tried? Is this a brand new drive (ie: has the broken one been replaced)? Is this a fresh installation of Windows or has the drive merely been cloned?

This looks like a symptom of a corruption in your Windows installation. You can run sfc /scannow to check the filesystem for corruption, but I think you need to run repairs on your installation of Windows. If you have an installation disc or USB, you can boot to that and choose advanced to run a repair installation (won't wipe your data).

I've tried anything from restarting, trying to repair the OS w/ the installation disk, running scans with the antivirus (this one helped a bit since it found some PUPs), etc. but nothing seemed to do the trick.
Though I did decide to check the event registry and it turns out my hard disk is completely fucked , I'm running a chkdsk /f upon restart to see if it could be saved until I do a backup, I guess this HDD needs to be retired after ~5 years.
I'm glad all my projects and most important docs are on the cloud but what really hurts the most is almost 3-years-worth of screenshots and game saves :(

Response to Help w/ the task manager? (W10) 2017-05-10 17:12:24

At 5/10/17 11:55 AM, AlixBalica wrote: Though I did decide to check the event registry and it turns out my hard disk is completely fucked

Uh... yea. You said you discovered this months ago in your original post. You will not be able to fix your broken HDD... you need to replace it. Once you discovered the hardware error all software avenues of troubleshooting became moot.

BBS Signature

Response to Help w/ the task manager? (W10) 2017-05-10 17:34:11

At 5/9/17 08:26 PM, AlixBalica wrote: Hi guys! About 2 months ago my computer had a deadly stroke and just today it was fixed. Luckily all data could be saved despite several scans detecting damage in the hard drive, yay! Though it doesn't seem to be handling the afterwards of the CPUfart quite well.
You see, the task manager doesn't seem to work at all, it only shows the blank window and that's about it. I tried many fixes but none seems to work (and aparently all my system restore points were deleted). Does anybody know how to fix it?

Copy all important data off the hard drive and perform a reformat, and also make sure Hdisk is not throwing error sectors, and you should be good after that.

Response to Help w/ the task manager? (W10) 2017-05-10 18:00:32

At 5/10/17 02:31 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: You'd need a Windows developer to really answer this question, most of the programmer here have no experience with Windows applications.

I was a Microsoft consultant until they fired me for rape

Response to Help w/ the task manager? (W10) 2017-05-10 19:45:39

At 5/10/17 06:00 PM, Makakaov wrote:
At 5/10/17 02:31 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: You'd need a Windows developer to really answer this question, most of the programmer here have no experience with Windows applications.
I was a Microsoft consultant until they fired me for rape

bullshit