00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Maxicranky just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Tool to estimate animation costs

629 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Tool to estimate animation costs 2017-05-05 13:23:17

It's overwhelming to start from scratch, it’s hard to price yourself and independent projects and if you don’t have experience you have to collect data from many sources to get started.

So I thought, hey, let's create a tool that makes it easy to start getting a sense of how much a project will cost and how many weeks of production it'll be.

I just launched it but would love to get your guys' feedback. So any thoughts are more than welcome!

Here's the url: www.animpricer.com

Looking forward to hear what you think and if it's useful to you!

- Emil

Response to Tool to estimate animation costs 2017-05-07 11:05:14

Thank you very much for making this, it helps to put things in perspective.

Response to Tool to estimate animation costs 2017-05-08 08:02:05

At 5/7/17 11:05 AM, gritgrinder wrote: Thank you very much for making this, it helps to put things in perspective.

You're welcome :) Anything we could do to make it more useful to you?

Response to Tool to estimate animation costs 2017-05-08 08:06:01

At 5/6/17 11:13 AM, Sicsophor wrote: For a 4 minute 1 man passion project it would cost me 21k and 21 weeks. I was leaning closer to $500 and 1 month like my last video. I'm pretty sure I input all of my answers correctly.
Edit: 21 weeks, not sure why I thought years.

Hey, thanks for letting me know. Seems there's a huge different in how we estimate hehe. Or the calculations for 1 man passion projects might be skewered. What did you put as salaries for yourself?

At 5/8/17 08:06 AM, EmilVillumsen wrote:
At 5/6/17 11:13 AM, Sicsophor wrote: For a 4 minute 1 man passion project it would cost me 21k and 21 weeks. I was leaning closer to $500 and 1 month like my last video. I'm pretty sure I input all of my answers correctly.
Hey, thanks for letting me know. Seems there's a huge different in how we estimate hehe. Or the calculations for 1 man passion projects might be skewered. What did you put as salaries for yourself?

am also curious to know how much he input on salaries myself ? but that's just the difference from a passionate standpoint, there is a lot of leeway given depending on the relationship you have with your friend, colleague or even client.

the tool itself does a handy job if i may say so, the estimates are not badly off. The main thing that i like, is that it gives both beginners &professionals optimum pricing options that wont have a negative impact on the animation standard in general like when people quote an unusual low amount for their work esp if its meant to be commercial (but all that is dependent on how the salary level will be used) which took me a while to get, but after a little research and messing around,i see the applicability of it. :)

Closing thoughts
- in terms of commercial projects : definitely a useful tool for estimating advertising and music videos.
- in terms of passionate projects : only applicable in terms of crowd-funding your animation project such as short-film or
seeking sponsorship for it.

Response to Tool to estimate animation costs 2017-06-13 05:02:41

Closing thoughts
- in terms of commercial projects : definitely a useful tool for estimating advertising and music videos.
- in terms of passionate projects : only applicable in terms of crowd-funding your animation project such as short-film or
seeking sponsorship for it.

Great feedback, thank you!

Response to Tool to estimate animation costs 2017-07-20 15:20:55

At 6/13/17 05:02 AM, EmilVillumsen wrote:
Great feedback, thank you!

Btw, slight misspelling i kept forgetting abt

Tool to estimate animation costs

I wonder about if paper can be used this days.. ?