00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkihamVA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Aboriginal Songs 2017-04-16 23:52:36

Is remixing Aboriginal songs inappropriate or disrespectful? I've been wanting to turn "Land of the Silver Birch" into a remix for a while now. It sounds cool in my head, but I don't know if I should actually try to do it.

Response to Aboriginal Songs 2017-04-17 11:19:34

I don't think we have that many Aboriginals around, and if you could find any, I doubt they'd take offence.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Aboriginal Songs 2017-04-20 11:11:26

At 4/17/17 11:19 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: I don't think we have that many Aboriginals around, and if you could find any, I doubt they'd take offence.

Alright. Thanks for your opinion!

Response to Aboriginal Songs 2017-04-20 13:10:38

At 4/16/17 11:52 PM, rakeeb100 wrote: Is remixing Aboriginal songs inappropriate or disrespectful? I've been wanting to turn "Land of the Silver Birch" into a remix for a while now. It sounds cool in my head, but I don't know if I should actually try to do it.

Depending on the context. I'm pretty sure that you don't understand what they sing/say in their chants. I don't either.
It depends what else you're putting in the "mixer" too. The same manner you could put some indian shaman chants or Russian singer singing stuff.

My opinion is if it sounds good and you're not looking to make a big money from it - go ahead and do it. After years the answer will come your way anyway.

Check My Youtube Channel

Follow me on TWITTER

Check my INSTAGRAM

Response to Aboriginal Songs 2017-04-20 13:32:22

what's an aboriginal?

Response to Aboriginal Songs 2017-04-20 17:21:02

At 4/20/17 01:32 PM, StaticSkull wrote: what's an aboriginal?

One of these two guys, not sure which though.

Aboriginal Songs

Response to Aboriginal Songs 2017-04-20 18:34:47

At 4/20/17 05:21 PM, EoD696 wrote:

whats so bad about that?

Response to Aboriginal Songs 2017-04-21 10:37:33

The right one in truth, the left one in spirit.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Aboriginal Songs 2017-04-21 19:28:18

At 4/20/17 01:10 PM, MavisRooder wrote:
At 4/16/17 11:52 PM, rakeeb100 wrote: Is remixing Aboriginal songs inappropriate or disrespectful? I've been wanting to turn "Land of the Silver Birch" into a remix for a while now. It sounds cool in my head, but I don't know if I should actually try to do it.
Depending on the context. I'm pretty sure that you don't understand what they sing/say in their chants. I don't either.
It depends what else you're putting in the "mixer" too. The same manner you could put some indian shaman chants or Russian singer singing stuff.

My opinion is if it sounds good and you're not looking to make a big money from it - go ahead and do it. After years the answer will come your way anyway.

I don't mean the lyrics. I mean the instrumentals of the song to consider remixing.
And if they have lyrics, I'm thinking of an English cover of it.

Response to Aboriginal Songs 2017-04-21 19:29:34

The right.

Response to Aboriginal Songs 2017-04-21 19:43:00

At 4/21/17 07:28 PM, rakeeb100 wrote:

I don't mean the lyrics. I mean the instrumentals of the song to consider remixing.

Well - I say - make it and present it on NG. With all do respect to all the aboriginal people who use internet in the Australian desert - you're not claiming their folk motives as yours. Giving a credits to the tribe, the singer and stuff like that would a great gesture from your side though. That's what I'm thinking.

Check My Youtube Channel

Follow me on TWITTER

Check my INSTAGRAM

Response to Aboriginal Songs 2017-04-21 19:52:05

At 4/21/17 07:43 PM, MavisRooder wrote:
At 4/21/17 07:28 PM, rakeeb100 wrote:

Well - I say - make it and present it on NG. With all do respect to all the aboriginal people who use internet in the Australian desert - you're not claiming their folk motives as yours. Giving a credits to the tribe, the singer and stuff like that would a great gesture from your side though. That's what I'm thinking.

Well, you can think of an aboriginal song like Land of the Silver Birch sounding like a dubstep remix or at least different from the original. I'm not claiming any of their "Folk Motives" but I can give credits to the creator/tribe for making it originally.

Response to Aboriginal Songs 2017-04-21 19:54:23

They use that definition as reference to the locals in most of the countries. However that name goes mostly to describe the local tribes in Australia. From what I know those folks were helping the allies during the WW2 , by taking care of the wounded soldiers. The allies were calling them "Angels", probably because of their good nature and desire to help without asking for something in return. It is also believe that they were the inventors of the boomerang.

"Crocodile" Dundee is national hero in Australia , alongside with Dannii Minogue.
It's part of the urban culture for the people of age 16 to 45 to refer themselves as "Mate" or "cunt" without meaning to offense someone with the last one. " Sean is a mad cunt "- means "Sean is a crazy/funny dude".

In Australia every second animal species in there is poisonous either is trying to kill you and eat you. Aboriginal guys are experts in avoiding this. Them guys should be respected.

Check My Youtube Channel

Follow me on TWITTER

Check my INSTAGRAM

Response to Aboriginal Songs 2017-04-21 22:38:37

At 4/21/17 07:54 PM, MavisRooder wrote:
They use that definition as reference to the locals in most of the countries. However that name goes mostly to describe the local tribes in Australia. From what I know those folks were helping the allies during the WW2 , by taking care of the wounded soldiers. The allies were calling them "Angels", probably because of their good nature and desire to help without asking for something in return. It is also believe that they were the inventors of the boomerang.

Why would the word "Aboriginal" be used to imply Australian people? The aboriginal song I told you about comes from Canada.