00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Infinite Jest

390 Views | 3 Replies

Infinite Jest 2017-04-07 12:27:30

Ok. Infinite Jest. Has anybody read it?
I've past the first hundred pages and it's still pretty confusing.
I never understood the hype on this book.
Is it going to be like this all the way or does it have nuances?

Response to Infinite Jest 2017-04-07 18:30:16

When it's done you should tell us about it in the reading thread.

Haven't read it myself and know little of it, but from the second hand descriptions I've heard it apparently catches the human condition quite exhaustively. Books that size usually end up feeling like a bloated waste of time, this one seemingly makes full use of its length.

Of course, being a classic doesn't mean you need to like it either.

Response to Infinite Jest 2017-04-07 22:09:47

It's one of my favorite books. And it does get much easier to read as it goes on, since all the disparate story threads start coming together and you'll have a clearer sense of who everyone is/how the book works.

I'd at least get through the chapter detailing the big Eschaton game before you decide to bail. It took me a while for things to click too, but once they do, oh man.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Infinite Jest 2017-04-07 22:23:44

might give it a shot over the summer depending on how busy i am

loved a supposedly fun thing i'll never do again. dfw's sense of humor and empathy made each essay hard to stop reading. first book i had read in a long time that i couldn't wait to continue whenever i had the free time. plus, his deconstructions of his own psychology is exactly the kind of stuff i've been trying to write and it felt like that i was finally given a proper example.

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature