00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

novaruah just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Am I funny? (Examples included)

386 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Am I funny? (Examples included) 2017-03-28 14:50:00

(Originally from the writing forum, posted here instead for animators opinions)

Hey, I've grown 300 subs in a under a year from nothing, by making short animated funny videos.

I want to know why my channel isn't growing faster like some other animation channels.
Is my content funny?

My YouTube channel is Mediocartoons, but I'll link a video here just to make it easier for you.

My latest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NKfQeXiJEo

My personal funniest 13+:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnRN9O2B1sc

My personal funniest 18+:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoDo_rLPnTU

Feedback appreciated.

Well...
Comedy is like a muscle, you have to train it, and mantain it.
I'd say keep going, it's funny enough, it will get funnier as you go along.
If you wanna get good at comedy even faster, fuck around with friends and try to be the funny guy, it helps wonders, but it might end in a couple of awkward silences, yeah.
The timing and sound of the last one was kinda shit, the punchline didn't sink because of that.

Mohammed was good. The first one was boring, you can make awkward small talk funny, by increasing the pace a bit. Cyanide and Happiness does that a couple of times.

But I have to insist, the quality really kills the punchlines. Specially the sound quality. I'd recomend to work on your aesthetics and sound design, they're not very good as is.

Response to Am I funny? (Examples included) 2017-03-29 01:54:11

At 3/29/17 01:35 AM, kehny wrote: Well...
Comedy is like a muscle, you have to train it, and mantain it.
I'd say keep going, it's funny enough, it will get funnier as you go along.
If you wanna get good at comedy even faster, fuck around with friends and try to be the funny guy, it helps wonders, but it might end in a couple of awkward silences, yeah.
The timing and sound of the last one was kinda shit, the punchline didn't sink because of that.

Mohammed was good. The first one was boring, you can make awkward small talk funny, by increasing the pace a bit. Cyanide and Happiness does that a couple of times.

But I have to insist, the quality really kills the punchlines. Specially the sound quality. I'd recomend to work on your aesthetics and sound design, they're not very good as is.

Thanks for the advice kehny,

So in summary
- The pace of my jokes
- The sound quality, (the visual quality is not meant to be so good, saves time, and I want to focus on the joke quality, like casually explained, grade a under a)

I'll definitely take this into account in my future animations, really appreciate it!

P.S. Lastly, do you know any similar YouTube channels to me? Low quality animations with focus on funny content, Casually Explained, GradeAUnderA. Or even channels with good animations like Cyanide and Happiness. I can't seem to find any, to seek inspiration from.

Response to Am I funny? (Examples included) 2017-03-29 02:49:06

YES. YOU ARE FUNNY. But like Kehny said your execution is flawed. Despite that I still enjoyed your cartoons. Improve your pacing, audio quality (buy a better mic), and also your acting ability. Keep practicing voice acting. Your delivery was very weak. Look at other great comedic animators and study them. That's how I learned to find my own voice (not tooting my own horn, I'm mediocre). BUT AGAIN, I still enjoyed your cartoons so that's saying something about your comedic ability.

Also the Mohommad cartoon was okay but you used the same joke 3 times. You have to use a different joke or escalate the joke in a humorous way. Not just use the same joke phrased slightly differently in a different setting. The joke itself and the ending were good though. Ok, that's my 2 cents. I'll stfu now.

Response to Am I funny? (Examples included) 2017-03-29 05:07:26

At 3/29/17 02:49 AM, EdwardMarr wrote: YES. YOU ARE FUNNY. But like Kehny said your execution is flawed. Despite that I still enjoyed your cartoons. Improve your pacing, audio quality (buy a better mic), and also your acting ability. Keep practicing voice acting. Your delivery was very weak. Look at other great comedic animators and study them. That's how I learned to find my own voice (not tooting my own horn, I'm mediocre). BUT AGAIN, I still enjoyed your cartoons so that's saying something about your comedic ability.

Also the Mohommad cartoon was okay but you used the same joke 3 times. You have to use a different joke or escalate the joke in a humorous way. Not just use the same joke phrased slightly differently in a different setting. The joke itself and the ending were good though. Ok, that's my 2 cents. I'll stfu now.

Thank you Edward,

I honestly really appreciate the feedback. It seems that I've got to work on:
- The pacing
- The acting
- The execution
- The audio quality

I'll most certainly keep working on it and refining my joke writing, voice acting. I'll do this by taking a little more time and being more considerate of my material to ensure that it is as good and funny as possible.

Appreciate it!

Response to Am I funny? (Examples included) 2017-03-30 04:06:04

Look forward to seeing your future work. Follow/FriendRequest sent.

Response to Am I funny? (Examples included) 2017-03-30 04:26:13

Request accepted :)

Response to Am I funny? (Examples included) 2017-03-30 05:02:35

At 3/30/17 04:26 AM, Matthcw wrote: Request accepted :)

Noice