00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Unreal Engine 4 2017-03-20 11:01:57

I hear that that's the best way to make a video game. Is any of that true?

I really don't know what to put on here.

Response to Unreal Engine 4 2017-03-20 19:16:55

At 3/20/17 11:01 AM, theadhx wrote: I hear that that's the best way to make a video game. Is any of that true?

Well, you can have a $1000 phone, but it's pretty meaningless if all you do is just to pick up calls.
It's similar with game engines. What kind of game you want to make? If it's just a 2D pac-man clone, or a mobile game, you don't need an engine suited for 3D games with outstanding graphics.

You should choose tools (= game engine, etc.) based on what you want to do, not "I have a hammer, a saw and a few planks, what can I create with that"?

The best approach might be to riffle through the popular game engines and check out the games created with it (e.g. Unreal showcase here). When you see something and think "Wow, this is actually pretty close to the idea I have in mind!", then you have a winner.

Response to Unreal Engine 4 2017-03-23 10:45:04 (edited 2017-03-23 10:45:18)

At 3/20/17 11:01 AM, theadhx wrote: I hear that that's the best way to make a video game. Is any of that true?

The best way to make games is the one that suits your needs.

The same applies to programming languages. People usually have this weird mentality of "Bigger/Harder/More Expensive = Better", which is incredibly limiting when it comes to finding your place in the world of game development.

Response to Unreal Engine 4 2017-03-23 12:53:21

Yes, It is pretty use friendly, but you must have SOME experience in making mesh and a little bit of programming skills.

Or you can find assets online.