00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vaittus just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why aren't movies in Flash?

249 Views | 4 Replies

Why aren't movies in Flash? 2017-03-13 19:26:09

By this I mean, movies now are converted as videos instead of fla files, why do people do this now? You can add extra shit to your movie and make it like a DVD thing, it was really cool.

hi how are ya

Response to Why aren't movies in Flash? 2017-03-13 21:08:53

Probably because the file sizes were huge? I dont know, just saying shit

BBS Signature

Response to Why aren't movies in Flash? 2017-03-13 21:26:53

The actual reason is really simple: Steve Jobs killed Flash for mobile devices. You won't see mobile content (and hence most general content) use Flash because he went out of his way to make sure it died before he did. There are some pros and cons to the demise of Flash, but he didn't really care about any of that, he just had a vendetta against Adobe and leveraged his multi-billion dollar company to get revenge.

Response to Why aren't movies in Flash? 2017-03-13 23:42:13

At 3/13/17 09:26 PM, Bit wrote: The actual reason is really simple: Steve Jobs killed Flash for mobile devices. You won't see mobile content (and hence most general content) use Flash because he went out of his way to make sure it died before he did. There are some pros and cons to the demise of Flash, but he didn't really care about any of that, he just had a vendetta against Adobe and leveraged his multi-billion dollar company to get revenge.

That's a bit dramatic. Flash is proprietary is what the problem with flash is...and, you can find proprietary things in computers that probably shouldn't be, like the mp3 codec for instance...that actually has to be licensed by your OS provider, we don't usually give a crap because we don't have to deal with it, but the OS's have been licensing that codec since it became popular.

The web-industry's move away from flash was primarily motivated by a desire to prevent the same shit from happening to the internet. Did Apple have a lot to do with it? Sure. So did Google. Adobe didn't have the resources to counter the double blitz, plus the community was for an open standard and against a proprietary software - thus, HTML 5+CSS 3+jQuery have been the primary replacement.

Nothing's stopping anyone from making an interactive DVD menu with these technologies...except maybe Newgrounds lack of support for it - idk, I don't make videos.

Response to Why aren't movies in Flash? 2017-03-14 00:19:39

At 3/13/17 09:08 PM, Khifa wrote: Probably because the file sizes were huge? I dont know, just saying shit

I could see why, especially back then, but now? Nah.

hi how are ya