00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

1,101 Views | 20 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Any one here playing this game?

And if so, are you playing on the Nintendo Switch or Wii U?

And if you haven't played it, what are your impressions of it?

When I first started playing, it felt weird, uneasy, and difficult.

But after completing the first shrines and getting the paraglider, it felt way more free and exciting.

So, how are you finding the game?

For me it's the best Zelda game since Twilight Princess.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017-03-13 08:15:17

I'm playing it on the Switch. I'm not much of a gamer; I had never played any Zelda game before this one. My first impressions are that it's a stunning looking game; giant map as well. I had some trouble getting of the plateau bit at first but once I figured out how to deal with the cold it went pretty well.

The paraglider is pretty awesome, though I still sometimes fat-finger it and managed to fall to my death. The puzzles in the shrines can be pretty challenging, but maybe that's just because I'm not very used to playing video games in general. Thankfully my gf is a longtime zelda fan, so she can help me out here and there. She's already beat ganon somehow.

Overall very impressed with the look of it so far.

Response to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017-03-13 11:58:42

It's not perfect and it has a lot of flaws that open world games tend to have, but it's continued to have interesting things to see and do even if the best stuff is spread a little too thin over the huge world.

The light survival game elements are hit or miss, but generally add a unique flavor to the game without being too obtrusive. And while the game is tough at first there are maybe too many ways to circumvent the challenging segments. I'm interested to see what changes the hard mode brings.

Even at the lower moments it's a compelling game that I feel interested in exploring.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017-03-13 15:24:13

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I bought the Wii U version.

All the Switches were sold out by the time I got to the store, on launch day, so I picked up the Wii U copy instead.

Best game I got for Wii U since Mario Kart 8.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017-03-13 16:27:58

I have it on Switch. It's definitely my favorite Zelda game and possibly one of my favorite games ever. The minimal survival aspects of it are great, and all the new things in the game blend perfectly to the classic Zelda formula without overwriting it. It's a bit overwhelming at times; sometimes I'll be standing on a high point surveying the map and have no idea where to go next because there's so goddamn much to explore. I really appreciate that the game has a huge map but doesn't feel empty; so many open-world games recently (MGSV, Just Cause 3, and Ghost Recon just to name my biggest disappointments) have so little content to fill their huge maps everything feels like a chore to get to. In Breath of the Wild it's so easy to get sidetracked while heading to an objective because there's something interesting everywhere.

Response to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017-03-15 19:38:27

Is it really that good?

Response to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017-03-15 19:44:28

At 3/15/17 07:38 PM, NightRaid-NG wrote: Is it really that good?

It's like LoZ meets Minecraft, GTA, Doom, Half-Life, Portal and a whole bunch of other great adventure/survival/puzzle games.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017-03-15 19:55:38

At 3/15/17 07:44 PM, Painbringer wrote: It's like LoZ meets Minecraft, GTA, Doom, Half-Life, Portal and a whole bunch of other great adventure/survival/puzzle games.

I have a hard time believing that

Response to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017-03-15 20:00:15

At 3/15/17 07:55 PM, NightRaid-NG wrote: I have a hard time believing that

Believe me, you'll notice similarities.

Some of them may come as first impressions (Minecraft) while others may come later (Portal 2, GTA IV etc.).

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017-03-16 12:17:18

At 3/15/17 07:55 PM, NightRaid-NG wrote:
At 3/15/17 07:44 PM, Painbringer wrote: It's like LoZ meets Minecraft, GTA, Doom, Half-Life, Portal and a whole bunch of other great adventure/survival/puzzle games.

It has certain elements of each of those games, but it's not like it's massive influenced by those titles.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017-03-16 12:27:20

At 3/16/17 12:17 PM, iMini wrote:
At 3/15/17 07:55 PM, NightRaid-NG wrote:
It has certain elements of each of those games, but it's not like it's massive influenced by those titles.

I'd really like to hear someone explain how BotW is like DOOM. Unless I haven't gotten to the part where Link goes to hell and tears demons a new asshole.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017-03-16 15:26:18

At 3/16/17 12:27 PM, Jercurpac wrote: I'd really like to hear someone explain how BotW is like DOOM. Unless I haven't gotten to the part where Link goes to hell and tears demons a new asshole.

I was thinking more like Doom 3, with the tilting physics puzzles and real-time shadows - All within the shines, of course.

As for the new Doom - Well, I guess you can "glory kill" the big monsters with the right weapons and button combos.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

I've played nearly every single Zelda game, with exception of Four swords and the last two 3DS games, but sadly I haven't tried breath of the wild because I do not own a proper system, I heard it is one of the best TLOZ games, recieving high scores, and also that it's getting well emulated, I will deffinitely try it out if ithey ever manage to port it on the PC.

Response to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017-03-16 17:00:33

At 3/16/17 04:09 PM, darksense wrote: I haven't tried breath of the wild because I do not own a proper system

What is that supposed to mean??

I will deffinitely try it out if ithey ever manage to port it on the PC.

Some people are testing it out on a Wii U emulator for PC.

If all goes well you could just pop in the disc and play it like a CD-based PC game.

As for an official port? Not gonna happen unless Nintendo goes the way of Sega...

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017-03-16 20:29:04

The Breath Of The Wild Is My Second Favorite Zelda Game! Nothing Can Beat The Legend Of Zelda, Ocarina Of Time Though..

Response to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017-03-17 05:42:02

At 3/15/17 07:38 PM, StaticSkull wrote: Is it really that good?

I heard a new dev team stepped in and changed everything.

Technically they weren't going to make link the main character. Decided to though in the end.

Let's see... no more auto jump, and gimmick physics.

Guess it started sucking Twilight princess and up, after they stopped being traditional and awesome.

Unless you're a new kid who doesn't mind plastic screens and chinese tech. Just play Oot and save your money and time.

Response to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017-03-17 12:00:10

At 3/15/17 07:55 PM, StaticSkull wrote:

- meets occasional framerate drops on the switch, meets glass-made/instant-breaking weapons that you have to replace all the time, which only happens less when you get later in the game, but still happens.

It's a good game, though. But watch Jim Sterling's video on it for some honest criticism. I recommend you play it on the Wii U. If you have one, that is.

At 3/17/17 12:00 PM, SarcasticMonster wrote: - meets occasional framerate drops on the switch, meets glass-made/instant-breaking weapons that you have to replace all the time, which only happens less when you get later in the game, but still happens.

It's a good game, though. But watch Jim Sterling's video on it for some honest criticism. I recommend you play it on the Wii U. If you have one, that is.

Wii U version vs. Switch docked version have almost the same performance, and it performs better on the Switch when it's undocked. The only reason to get it on Wii U over Switch is if you're not getting a Switch.

Response to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017-03-21 18:25:06

At 3/16/17 12:27 PM, Jercurpac wrote: I'd really like to hear someone explain how BotW is like DOOM. Unless I haven't gotten to the part where Link goes to hell and tears demons a new asshole.

Also, there's that glowing red stuff, which sometimes spawns flying demon heads.

It reminds me of Starcraft, Doom and Prey.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017-03-31 23:33:06

There's so many little things to enjoy in this game. I haven't been able to put it down lately.

Response to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017-03-31 23:46:24

Man, this game lost its luster super quick for me.