00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Steven Universe

2,307 Views | 28 Replies

Steven Universe 2017-03-03 21:54:37

Its not that I think its a bad show but god dammit am I the only one that hates how it tries too fucking hard to be unique. everyone on the show is fat and gay wow THATS NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE. Anyone else feel like this?

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-03 22:18:52

I only watched the first episode and thought it was "meh".

It somehow managed to be kinda boring dispite the show being about crazy magical fantasy shit.

"It's called consolidation; strengthen governments and corporations, weaken individuals."

I also draw stuff. Here's some of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-03 22:54:38

At 3/3/17 10:08 PM, Zornuzkull wrote: Never seen it... I've heard the fanbase is a unique form of cancer though...

People say that about every fanbase

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-03 23:05:32 (edited 2017-03-03 23:05:56)

My biggest problem is how goddamned repetitive the show is.

I like that they're trying to do something different, but they're accomplishing this by doing the same shit over and over. It was cool when they first added story, but now it's just a repetition of: Some character has a flaw or issue, Steven tries to solve it, he fails and maybe makes shit worse, someone sings a song that the Tumblrinas cream their size XXXL jeans over, then they hug and become friends in the end and move on to the next conflict.

Honestly I really liked this formula when it was fresh, but this has become the show's bread and butter. And goddamn do they love carbs.

ratchili.com i make stuff

BBS Signature

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-03 23:30:51

At 3/3/17 11:05 PM, Chat-man wrote: My biggest problem is how goddamned repetitive the show is.

I like that they're trying to do something different, but they're accomplishing this by doing the same shit over and over. It was cool when they first added story, but now it's just a repetition of: Some character has a flaw or issue, Steven tries to solve it, he fails and maybe makes shit worse, someone sings a song that the Tumblrinas cream their size XXXL jeans over, then they hug and become friends in the end and move on to the next conflict.

Not to mention I find Rebecca Sugars music overrated as shit.

And she is an eyesore to look at might I add

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-03 23:52:32

Aside from the fandom being trash, I think it's cool how the show's got some LGBT representation in it

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-04 15:23:34 (edited 2017-03-04 15:24:31)

I actually kinda like Steven Universe. The fact that they're trying so hard to be different makes me like the series or else it's gonna be as unfunny and "uncreative" as the other current CN shows like Teen Titans GO, Uncle Grandpa, The new Powerpuffgirls and so on.
And I really don't see the problem with so many characters being gay, I mean you're already being overwhelmed with heterosexuality in mainstream TV, so why complain when 1/3 of the characters are gay in one show.

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-04 16:56:10

At 3/4/17 07:16 AM, Gutnacht wrote: I hate the show just for that fact. It's a less lewd kind of fan service. Every single female character is lesbian.

Stephen's mom definitely went both ways. Connie seems pretty straight for Stephen. Amyphist hasn't really had any romance. The donut girl is shown to like dudes.

Like the show or don't but you're overreaching to find something offensive

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-04 17:37:29

At 3/4/17 03:58 PM, Neoncrotch wrote: Where can I get one of those cool emojis without being a life support for new grounds?!!!

after being a member for 3 years.

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-04 18:15:05

I like that show and Amethyst reminds me of myself.

But when twenty-something year olds start critiquing cartoons, I just laugh. You're not the intended audience.

BBS Signature

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-04 18:56:15

It's kinda lame, and it might make kids gay.
So I just change the channel whenever its on.

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-04 20:03:51

At 3/4/17 06:15 PM, Alias wrote: I like that show and Amethyst reminds me of myself.

But when twenty-something year olds start critiquing cartoons, I just laugh. You're not the intended audience.

To be fair I think that as adults we can look at the construction and intent of it as a art piece in a way that would get past children.
I won't get into an essay about it but I think it's a socially positive show that it'll do kids good to grow up with.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-04 20:16:09

At 3/4/17 08:03 PM, stafffighter wrote: To be fair I think that as adults we can look at the construction and intent of it as a art piece in a way that would get past children.
I won't get into an essay about it but I think it's a socially positive show that it'll do kids good to grow up with.

Sure, adults can critique whatever the hell they want. We're all critics, anyways. But Steven Universe was created for children; it wasn't created for us as a piece of art to critique.

BBS Signature

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-04 20:20:35

At 3/4/17 08:16 PM, Alias wrote:

Sure, adults can critique whatever the hell they want. We're all critics, anyways. But Steven Universe was created for children; it wasn't created for us as a piece of art to critique.

Well any art created just to be analyzed is self indulgent and bad. But creative works do invariably have emotional and intellectual content. Even as its as simple as wanting to tell a story while representing a previously sidelined demographic.

BBS Signature

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-05 05:17:28

I like Steven Universe. The show has changed since it first started but I still enjoy it; I realize that it's just one of those things that you either like it or you don't.

I felt like the earlier episodes were inspired by fantasy adventure games like Final Fantasy and the music was kinda cool.

I think that the parts of the show and characters that involve anything gay are kept in balance pretty well so regardless of how you feel about it one side isn't more overpowering.

RIGHT-TILTING PENTAGON GANG

BBS Signature

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-08 15:18:25

To me its a kid show thats mature but all the themes and problems are for kids so dafuq am I supposed to get out of this.

Also any one wondering why people bring up the fanbase being trash well every fanbase is its own form of cancer and su fanbase is a bunch of sjw's that throw a fit if you dont draw characters right i.e that guy they told to commit suicide drawing a chick the wrong shade of brown

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-08 16:23:49

At 3/4/17 08:16 PM, Alias wrote:
At 3/4/17 08:03 PM, stafffighter wrote: To be fair I think that as adults we can look at the construction and intent of it as a art piece in a way that would get past children.

So? Are the little kids who watch the show going to critique it, then? Just because late-teenagers and adults are not their target audience it doesn't mean that we can't critique it. And everyone know that you need criticism to grow at your craft.

Now, I used to like the show, until it started getting a little... weird? I don't know. I never really liked the songs all that much (although maybe the donut song was good, but I always found the giant woman song annoying).

As time passed, I kept growing more... uncorfortable? I'm not really sure, but I guess it's something like that. I couldn't help feeling this, so I just ended up dropping the show. My little sister likes it a lot, but maybe all the DBZ I'm watching with her may bleach it out of her brain juuuust a little.

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-08 16:25:43 (edited 2017-03-08 16:25:59)

At 3/8/17 03:59 PM, Necrozma wrote:
At 3/3/17 09:54 PM, Wegra wrote: Its not that I think its a bad show but god dammit am I the only one that hates how it tries too fucking hard to be unique. everyone on the show is fat and gay wow THATS NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE. Anyone else feel like this?
I want to rape the peridot

Have fun. Or seek help. I guess either should do the world good.

Steven Universe

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-08 16:42:54

This is why I unfriended you on Facebook.

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-08 18:26:57

At 3/8/17 04:42 PM, PussyShark wrote: This is why I unfriended you on Facebook.

And you are?

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-08 18:36:14

At 3/8/17 06:26 PM, Wegra wrote:
At 3/8/17 04:42 PM, PussyShark wrote: This is why I unfriended you on Facebook.
And you are?

A person you forgot you talked to a couple times, apparently.

Jerk

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-08 19:05:17

At 3/8/17 04:23 PM, SarcasticMonster wrote: So? Are the little kids who watch the show going to critique it, then? Just because late-teenagers and adults are not their target audience it doesn't mean that we can't critique it. And everyone know that you need criticism to grow at your craft.

okay but

the thing is

if adults and late-teenagers are just going to complain about the show "not being good" "being stupid" "being weird" etc. they should just not complain at all. BECAUSE WE'RE NOT THE TARGET AUDIENCE. IT WASN'T DESIGNED FOR USSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. now, if young-adults and etc want to provide POSITIVE CRITICISM now that's lovely. you wanna let Rebecca sugar know that you'd love to see a show about "xyz problem from when you were a kid" well, that's fucking great. do that.

but if you're just going to complain about the show being "stupid" or "weird" or whatever else

just don't waste your time with the negativity

BBS Signature

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-08 21:33:01

At 3/8/17 07:05 PM, Alias wrote:
At 3/8/17 04:23 PM, SarcasticMonster wrote: So? Are the little kids who watch the show going to critique it, then? Just because late-teenagers and adults are not their target audience it doesn't mean that we can't critique it. And everyone know that you need criticism to grow at your craft.
okay but

the thing is

if adults and late-teenagers are just going to complain about the show "not being good" "being stupid" "being weird" etc. they should just not complain at all. BECAUSE WE'RE NOT THE TARGET AUDIENCE. IT WASN'T DESIGNED FOR USSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. now, if young-adults and etc want to provide POSITIVE CRITICISM now that's lovely. you wanna let Rebecca sugar know that you'd love to see a show about "xyz problem from when you were a kid" well, that's fucking great. do that.

but if you're just going to complain about the show being "stupid" or "weird" or whatever else

just don't waste your time with the negativity

Wow. Put down that edge, friend. You might cut someone.

I wasn't even criticizing the show, I was just expressing my experience with it. The show has good animation, has some nice characters, good dialogue, nice character growth, funny scenes. I'm not saying the show is horrible. I'm just saying that I'm particularly uncorfortable with the show, and that's all.

Also, avoid doing all caps for more than a sentence. It doesn't do your picture very good.

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-08 23:17:09

The first season was tame with all the LBGT shit and had decent songs and episodes.

Then it went full retard and never recovered.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-08 23:25:32 (edited 2017-03-08 23:27:41)

At 3/8/17 07:05 PM, Alias wrote: if adults and late-teenagers are just going to complain about the show "not being good" "being stupid" "being weird" etc. they should just not complain at all. BECAUSE WE'RE NOT THE TARGET AUDIENCE. IT WASN'T DESIGNED FOR USSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

In all fairness, the largest demographic for Steven Universe are not the children. This is why Steven Universe gets fucking obliterated in viewership when it comes to Teen Titans Go. The kids still dominate Cartoon Network and the kids like shit like TTG over SU.

Plus, Rebecca Sugar never made the show specifically for the kids. She'd been working on this story yeeaaars in advance, just so happens it plays on a kid-friendly channel. If the show was made for the kids, trust me, it would be a lot more like the grossly marketed Powerpuff Girls 2016.

ratchili.com i make stuff

BBS Signature

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-09 00:03:55

At 3/8/17 11:17 PM, bOoMsTiCk wrote: The first season was tame with all the LBGT shit and had decent songs and episodes.

Then it went full retard and never recovered.

There ya go end of discussion

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Steven Universe 2017-03-09 00:14:48

oy vey

Steven Universe

Response to Steven Universe 2017-07-13 12:43:42

At 3/5/17 05:23 AM, Leidolfr wrote: All I wanna do, is see you turn into, a dea-ed thread { a dea-d thre-ad } all i wanna be, is a guy who gets to see, a dea-ed thread { a dea-d threa-ed }

...is it over? I think it is...

...well, I guess this thread's dead now...quick, let's bury it before the crows and rats come. We don't want to see the rest of this mess.

Response to Steven Universe 2017-07-14 14:30:42

At 3/5/17 05:23 AM, Leidolfr wrote: All I wanna do, is see you turn into, a dea-ed thread { a dea-d thre-ad } all i wanna be, is a guy who gets to see, a dea-ed thread { a dea-d threa-ed }

Good song.

I turn water into water

BBS Signature