00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lucidstriker595 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Forcing change in one's art

293 Views | 1 Reply
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Forcing change in one's art 2017-01-22 21:14:17

I have a a bit of a problem, I don't really like my own art. I can come to a result that satisfies my desire to create, but not my desire to create something good. Since I finished schooling and started working everything feels like it just slowed down, and now I miss the change. I have artists I like, but I don't want to just copy somebody else's approach, so my greatest challenge is, how can I find something unique to me, if I don't like me?

If you have ways of going about this, or stories of how you discovered what you wanted to see/have in your own art it would be greatly appreciated.

Response to Forcing change in one's art 2017-01-22 23:22:36

At 1/22/17 09:14 PM, CultistLemming wrote: I have a a bit of a problem, I don't really like my own art. I can come to a result that satisfies my desire to create, but not my desire to create something good. Since I finished schooling and started working everything feels like it just slowed down, and now I miss the change. I have artists I like, but I don't want to just copy somebody else's approach, so my greatest challenge is, how can I find something unique to me, if I don't like me?

If you have ways of going about this, or stories of how you discovered what you wanted to see/have in your own art it would be greatly appreciated.

Gotta experiment with all different styles. Thats what i did at least. Study at as much art as you can, and find all the minor bits that you like. Try to incorporate that into your own art. For me i really like wild color palettes so i started doing more experimental color palettes. I also like different or "abstract" (i did not want to say my own name but i have too) character designs, so I started designing more out there characters, more Rayman looking characters over typical cartoonish style that don't follow most normal anatomy rules. Its tough and it can take a while. Took me about 3 years to develop my style and I still am. So don't sweat it. It'll come eventually.

Also study the stuff you're inspired by. And really figure out why it inspires you. Not just cuz it looks good but why it inspires you. It's not coping someone else's style, everybody borrows a bit from everybody. And if its minor stuff than most people won't even notice. And experiment eventually you'll find that style that you like and you can create in over and over again.

And remember your tastes are always gonna change so don't worry about not liking your current or past work. A lot of people feel that way about their own work. Art takes a while.

Best of luck bud