00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Help with first game

471 Views | 1 Reply
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey!
I'm new here and I can't get informations I need. Probably I'm just really bad at searching but I hope you can help me.
I'm doing a bit of graphic design and calligraphy but recently I decided to start playing around with cartoons and games. I wanted to ask you where you get from code you need for game? Or maybe where from you did get it at the beginning of your game developer story? You need to find someone who will write it for you (you tell this person every single thing, when character is going to jump, what should happen after clicking there or there) or you use existing codes (so you basically make game for code not the opposit)? Is there any place I can get written down all basic actions? At makeflashgames I found some info but I can't really understand all of it and how to mix those codes and define what part is this code about... I'm learning some CSS and C++ but only some simple stuff for now, so I only get !DOCTYPE thing etc...
Could someone make a tutorial on how to make game in Animate CC from start to end? There are only few on YT on CC which is a bit different than Flash, I think.

PS. Sorry for my english, it's not my first language ;)
Did I post it in good forum or should it be "Where is / How to / Help!"?

Response to Help with first game 2017-01-23 15:36:59 (edited 2017-01-23 15:39:23)

At 1/21/17 06:00 PM, Aerogirl wrote: Hey!
I'm new here and I can't get informations I need. Probably I'm just really bad at searching but I hope you can help me.
I'm doing a bit of graphic design and calligraphy but recently I decided to start playing around with cartoons and games. I wanted to ask you where you get from code you need for game? Or maybe where from you did get it at the beginning of your game developer story? You need to find someone who will write it for you (you tell this person every single thing, when character is going to jump, what should happen after clicking there or there) or you use existing codes (so you basically make game for code not the opposit)? Is there any place I can get written down all basic actions? At makeflashgames I found some info but I can't really understand all of it and how to mix those codes and define what part is this code about... I'm learning some CSS and C++ but only some simple stuff for now, so I only get !DOCTYPE thing etc...
Could someone make a tutorial on how to make game in Animate CC from start to end? There are only few on YT on CC which is a bit different than Flash, I think.

PS. Sorry for my english, it's not my first language ;)
Did I post it in good forum or should it be "Where is / How to / Help!"?

What a mouth full!

Everything that happens in a game has to be coded. Every action. So if you write a game from scratch you have to write all of the code yourself, e.g moveRight(){x+=5} and then call the moveRight method when a user presses the right arrow key.
Coding everything yourself is hard, and not a good way to start if you are new to programming.

A game engine or toolkit is better for beginners. A lot of the methods have been written for you and some are even hidden from you to simplify things for you. So in game maker for example, you can create a new sprite by clicking a button, give it a name, image and place it in a scene. then add a move right event when a button is pressed action, all without writing a single line of code. As you get more advanced with the tool you choose you can write snippets of code to do small things, or even big things.

http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/game-dev-resources
A handy page with links to many different tool kits. Game maker and Construct are good for code noobs and will help you learn the basics. There is also lots of tutorials for both.

Flash is halfway between writing a game from pure code and using a tool kit. in flash you can create frames, movie clips and embed code in them. So you can create an enemy movie clip and have it constantly move towards the player by writing a loop that runs inside the moveclip. It does require some knowledge of coding/scripting to get anything done. But the bonus with flash is you can create animations really easily.

Some flash resources
http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/flash-resources

So i guess it depends on what you really want to do.
If you want to make games from scratch you can do it in pure Javascript and HTML5, or C# along with either unity or xna studios. (dont do C++ it is an advanced language and while many people learn it first as I did, its hard to learn without a tutor or teacher)

If you want to just make games like the ones on new-grounds, platforms and short rpgs etc u can use game maker or another toolkit like that.

if you want to do animations and games, I suggest you go with flash, it will hard in the beginning, but over time it gets easier.

But hay, what do i know :/