00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Question about Tweening in Flash

507 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello guys,

So I tried to animate something and wanted to make my character walk on an earth globe. I simply wanted to make the earth rotate itself by tweening it and rotating it counter clockwise.

I stumbled over a problem now. I noticed that I can't lessen the rotation speed of an object less than 1 time. (Screenshot)

https://gyazo.com/cf64e72f926b0cc21d7456c324ddf1f5

If I want to make the globe rorate slower, I have to add more frames. The thing is I don't want to make that globe spin for 15 more seconds than needed, just because I want to slow it down.

Is it simply possible for me to set either the rotation counter to less than 1 or somehow else to make it slower?

This is how it actually looks like:

https://gyazo.com/c20f35efb409deb0dfa2bf912ed7a2e1

I'm very new to flash/animation by itself, if possible try to explain your answer detailed so I can comprehend the meaning behind it.

Thanks in advance.

Response to Question about Tweening in Flash 2017-01-20 20:03:50

At 1/20/17 02:47 PM, Sicsophor wrote: If your globe is in a symbol (graphic loop), you can add all your frames inside of that to slow it down. The main timeline is what you should be concerned about. You can have a graphic symbol with 10,000 frames if you wanted, and only have 100 frames showing on the main timeline. By doing that, your main timeline will only play the first 100 of the 10,000 you have, and you'll achieve the speed you're looking for.

Sounds good, but how do I do that exactly? My globe is a graphic symbol as you said, what I did so far is to make the graphic to a "classic tween" and then choose the rotation.

Response to Question about Tweening in Flash 2017-01-21 07:05:57

At 1/20/17 09:01 PM, Sicsophor wrote: How do you do what exactly? Sorry I am having trouble understanding what you need help with. I think I explained it properly but I could be doing it in a confusing way. Add 100 frames to your main timeline, and on the first keyframe of that layer, put your graphic symbol. Your graphic symbol is the one that holds the rotation speed information inside of it. You can add as many frames to the rotation as you need, take a lot of frames out to make it faster, add a lot of frames to make it slower. Then once you exit the graphic symbol and go back out onto the main timeline, you will only see the first 100 frames of that animation, not the full thing.
Of course it doesn't have to be 100, I was just using that as an example. It's however long you want to show it for.

Yeah I was asking about that, sorry I started with this just recently and started with jessejayjones' guides on youtube. Thus I still don't know many simple terms as such. But I will give it a try now the way you told me, hopefully I can manage it.

ey bruh take my life

At 1/22/17 11:03 PM, GarBe wrote: here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoKQ7aq9CNI

Here's the .FLA file

Holy moly you made a video for this, dude thank you so much for your effort. I didn't expect anything like that, thank you very much!
Sadly it won't solve my problem as it seems. To give a bit more of information: I'm going to make lets say an animation which should be at max 1 minute. In this animation you will see my globe rotating CCW, but the globe isn't rotating the whole minute. Sometimes it should only rotate for 5 seconds and sometimes for like 10 seconds at max. Sometimes it needs to not rotate at all. And I have to keep a slow rotation while rotating it for 10 seconds. Now if I want to rotate it slow, I will have to stretch the keyframes longer, so that the rotation isn't too fast.

Right now it does a CCW rotation with a counter of 1.

As I didn't manage to slow it down without shortening the frames, my only solution for now is to cut it smart afterwards in a video editing tool.

You may want to take advantage of Movie Clip symbols. They play independent of the main timeline. I.E. Even if the main timeline is 1 frame, the movie clip will continue to play.

If you wanted a 1 minute rotation and you're playing back at 24 FPS, you would multiply 24 by 60 (1,440), and stretch the Movie Clip's timeline to that number of frames.

Keep in mind, Movie Clip symbols only play back in the export/publish preview, so CTRL+Enter frequently.

So basically:
- Set your planet is a symbol (Graphic or movie clip, doesn't matter.)
- Select your planet symbol and hit F8.
- Set it as a Movie Clip symbol.
- Double click the planet, you should not be in the movie clip symbol.
- Within the Movie Clip symbol, classic tween it and set it to rotate once.
- Stretch the tween frames until your rotation is at the speed you want.

Upon export it should play back appropriately. The main timeline will not restart the rotation.

Always remember, you can layer an indefinite amount of symbols within symbols, mix up the symbol types and the effects their type supports and wind up with ridiculous effects.

Question about Tweening in Flash

ey bruh take my life

>Double click the planet, you should NOW be in the movie clip symbol.

Mistype here. My bad.

ey bruh take my life