00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why does no one talk in games?

606 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I am not sure if this is really considered a big deal. But I've noticed lately that in most games I play, no one talks at all. I mean, I understand it is a game and most people might be in a game to just play the game, but the idea is.... sometimes I want to feel like I'm playing with people and sometimes it can kinda boring when there isn't really any social interaction during gameplay... you might as well be playing with bots. It's not really a huge issue but its been something bothering me lately.

Response to Why does no one talk in games? 2016-12-04 02:49:46

because online communities are garbage

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Why does no one talk in games? 2016-12-04 08:25:59

I don't talk in games often (I don't send a message apart from "gg" and cooldown timers in most of my League games), and when I do I usually keep it game-related. For me, it's exactly like you said: I play the game to play the game. I don't like distracting myself with chatter when I want to win. I often "/mute all", or at least mute several players in the game, because of this.

That being said, I sometimes play without caring for victory. That's when I'll pointlessly converse or satirize the game and players. I see that as the other side of the coin: playing purely for fun. Honestly, I start feeling frustrated with players who are feeling like that when I'm not, and that's what mute's for. What I really see as pointless is negatively complaining about other players on your team: I see it as a paradox of wanting to win, but intentionally keeping yourself distracted with chatter.

The way I see it, the best way to talk over a game is to put yourself in an environment where players are less concerned about winning.

BBS Signature

At 12/4/16 11:07 AM, TheQuietGamer wrote: It might just be the type of games you're playing.

I love the irony of your name and the topic. I play tf2, overwatch, starcraft 2 and just started playing star wars battlefront.

Response to Why does no one talk in games? 2016-12-04 12:37:01

At 12/4/16 12:20 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote:
At 12/4/16 11:45 AM, DrClay wrote:
At 12/4/16 11:07 AM, TheQuietGamer wrote: doesn't have voice chat. Tf2 has voice chat

Well not necessarily just the voice chat, although I admit it is more convient to use a mic then to type. I mainly just mean in general. In games like Overwatch, I would expect communication so everyone can formulate a strategy and work together.

Response to Why does no one talk in games? 2016-12-04 15:16:34

Xbox Live introduced a party system many years back, where you could talk to your friends in a private voice chatroom regardless of what games you were all playing. In-game chat usage all but died out as a result, and since then PSN (and I assume Steam) have made their own versions of the party system, as well as third party apps like skype and discord.

So I think that's it. Everyone is still talking, they're just all sealed away in their own private chatrooms and I think the games themselves have changed to some extent because of it.

TF2 used to be a sort of social event, with many chatty players and very long match times so you got to know the people you're playing with over the course of a game. Overwatch or other popular games like Rocket League have very little chatter and very short match times by comparison, and players tend to come and go faster than you can recognize them. The games are slightly more suited to those people in private chats than someone who goes into a game alone looking to talk.

Response to Why does no one talk in games? 2016-12-04 16:19:04

At 12/4/16 03:16 PM, Jackho wrote: The games are slightly more suited to those people in private chats than someone who goes into a game alone looking to talk.

If that is true, I think that's a bit of a shame. Because now there really is not a way to form a group or clan now. Since no one wants to public chat or formulate strategy plans or whatever on the actual servers, no friendship or clan opportunities can begin.

At 12/4/16 04:19 PM, DrClay wrote: If that is true, I think that's a bit of a shame. Because now there really is not a way to form a group or clan now. Since no one wants to public chat or formulate strategy plans or whatever on the actual servers, no friendship or clan opportunities can begin.

I agree, I've met some friends through gaming and it's kind of sad that won't happen anymore. You could try to get to get a group together elsewhere, though. I think there's subreddits (you could try /r/GamerPals and /r/GameBuddies. They just showed up on a google search so I don't know how good they are) and there's probably whole sites dedicated to this. You could also try Steam groups and finding people through the group text chat.

On Xbox they recently added a "Clubs" feature for finding people to game with, so if PSN doesn't have an equivalent of that they probably soon will as well.

At 12/4/16 11:32 PM, hyperrobotz16 wrote: Its a two way street , you have talk to them

As @DM692 said, some people tend to mute all, so the reality is they most likely wont hear you. I think it's more what @Jackho said, where everyone is in their own private chatrooms and all.