00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How do I get better?

1,034 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How do I get better? 2016-11-23 11:43:48

I really need help on how to get better with my music.

How should I?

Please also chack out my music it really helps me with comments

Thanks guys
SqueeGee

Response to How do I get better? 2016-11-23 14:00:23

Just keep making music, it's the only way you will get better...

You don't need a million synths to produce good tracks, just do what you love doing, and you'll get better...

Response to How do I get better? 2016-11-23 14:57:49 (edited 2016-11-23 15:10:44)

Glad you're asking this instead of the other question!

There's a bunch of ways to get better! It depends at what you'd like to improve at. I don't consider myself special or particularly good at all, but I know I have improved over time, which is important! :D

1) *COPY STUFF*: I know this might seem wrong, especially since copying is a bit of a taboo, but copy things you love. Copy forms, copy sounds, copy entire songs, copy rhythms. Copying is one of the flipping best ways to learn quickly. Consider things that you copy as exercises, not necessarily intended for release.

2) If you don't already, learn an instrument. Many people think this isn't important because of how easy it is to push a few buttons and pop out a tune, but as a musician, it's always incredibly easy to tell if someone is a musician or not when listening to their music. It will make your ear better, it will make writing faster and more fluid, you will understand music better. If you have a keyboard or piano, go on Youtube and learn some basics. It will help you immensely!

3) Read/watch/learn: keep trying to learn. Books are pretty cool too! Obviously there's a ludicrous amount of info online.

4) Write. Write. WRITE. WRIIIIIIITE! You have to write a bunch of terrible songs when you start and even when you get better, you'll write ten bad songs for every good one. The more you write, the more adept at the craft of songwriting you will become and you'll also develop a mass of bits and pieces that can be Frankenstein'd into new songs! :)

5) Review/Reflect/Ask for HONEST opinions! Look back at your own work every few months. If it sounds as good as what you were doing a year ago, you haven't improved. If you listen back to something you made two years ago and think "OH NO THAT WAS SO BAD", that's a great thing! It means you've improved. And take people's advice and opinions with grace and don't take it too personally (unless they're plain rude buttheads)

6) Have many things to do. I only very recently worked this one out, but because of the inconsistent nature of inspiration and creativity, expecting to only work when you're feeling in-the-zone and enlightened and excited won't result in much work getting done. Find things you can learn and do while you aren't necessarily feeling in the mood to compose something brand new. This is where copying is nice, because you're working on your listening, composition and production skills while not having to worry about creating something new. Maybe learn how to use a synth a bit better, or practice some scales on the piano or learn some theory, or learn some orchestration etc etc. Basically, have things to do that are still interesting and will help you to improve, but don't require much creative spark.

I think I've written enough for now...there's so much, but just keep at it! And good luck. :)

PS. I reviewed some of your tracks. Nice work! It looks like you're doing everything right. :)

hemlo yes i am the do durgs

johnfn made me this signature because i placed 6th in ngadm and only 5th and up got cool signatures but lets face it this is better

BBS Signature

Response to How do I get better? 2016-11-24 07:03:40

Keep learning new techniques about mixing, sound design and arrangement and put them into practice as much as you can.
Also analyze the music that you like and pull it apart and try to figure what makes it so good.