00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Wettle just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Changing Stroke Thickness

418 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Changing Stroke Thickness 2016-10-22 21:36:12

Hey, guys! I'm using Flash 8, and sometimes I have to change thickness depending on if I zoom in or out of the picture. This sometimes results in the overall picture containing different stroke thicknesses. So I was wondering, Is there anyway I can change the stroke thickness of an already existing object? Thanks!

At 10/22/16 09:36 PM, littlbox wrote: Hey, guys! I'm using Flash 8, and sometimes I have to change thickness depending on if I zoom in or out of the picture. This sometimes results in the overall picture containing different stroke thicknesses. So I was wondering, Is there anyway I can change the stroke thickness of an already existing object? Thanks!

Not by a click of a button when you have used the brush tool. You can however go around the drawings and pull the contour of that brush stroke to alter that shape. This does take time though. There are a few things animators do to combat this. The first is, to have a specific zoom magnification they are content with, and use that value throughout their animation. The other is to use the line tool instead of the brush then convert it to a fill.

My suggestion is possibly consider AnimateCC, what Flash used to be. It contains a button most of us have been asking for for years. With the brush selected, an additional checked box allows you to have your brush stoke relative to pixel size, not magnification size like old versions of Flash. This means you can zoom in and out until your heart is content and the brush stroke will always maintain stroke scale. Like toon boom, photoshop and most paint applications.

Alternatively in AnimateCC you have a new pencil tool. Which allows you to draw a line (or fill). If you choose line then you can adjust the thickness but gradually, throughout the line. It also allows you to have custom vector strokes, So here's an example:

The one of the left is just a line, the middle one is the same line but size 10. The one on the right is the same line again, but with pulling the lines width in and out at points of my choosing. At all times it still is treated as a line, so you have all the flexibility of that tool (for tweening etc).

It sounds simple, but it's a very powerful tool for artists/animators. Hopefully this gives you a few options to help you.

Changing Stroke Thickness

BBS Signature

Awesome! Thank you so much for the advice. I'll definitely consider getting AnimateCC. :D