00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

EggSmash just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Complete beginner.

1,279 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Complete beginner. 2016-10-22 05:33:20

Hey guys, i'm hoping you can help. I actually have two parts to my question.
1. I wanted to start learning to make and produce my own music and i have absolutely no knowledge in this area. where would be a good place to start resource wise, e.g. books, websites, programs etc.

2. if i wanted to find music and good sound effects where are some places i could check out?

thanks for the help.

Response to Complete beginner. 2016-10-22 06:13:55

At 10/22/16 05:33 AM, fs-animations wrote: Hey guys, i'm hoping you can help. I actually have two parts to my question.
1. I wanted to start learning to make and produce my own music and i have absolutely no knowledge in this area. where would be a good place to start resource wise, e.g. books, websites, programs etc.

2. if i wanted to find music and good sound effects where are some places i could check out?

thanks for the help.

So I keep it very short:

1. You are going to need a DAW, there is a lot of them, some free, some not.. I use FL studio, I would say it is relatively noob friendly (and looks nice) and it's probably the most used DAW = tons of tutorials everywhere (this guy for example)

then some music theory basics - I like this guy

and of course all of your time, of trying and failing

2. again, there are tons of packs with various effect samples, "industry standard" for EDM would be vengeance stuff, black octopus, ... usually you just google: (your genre) sample pack

signature

Response to Complete beginner. 2016-10-22 07:54:13

At 10/22/16 05:33 AM, fs-animations wrote: Hey guys, i'm hoping you can help. I actually have two parts to my question.

thanks for the help.

I would start with learning some basic music theory, this guy has great content, start at the begining of his videos and work your way through gradually. https://www.youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody

Also i would recommend you learn to play an instrument so you have something physical to apply that theory too. Perhaps get yourself a cheap midi keyboard you can hook up to your pc to get you started. Keystation 49 is nice and basic and good for the money.

Response to Complete beginner. 2016-10-23 14:29:00

Thanks for your help, can't wait to get started ^^

Response to Complete beginner. 2016-11-02 19:25:16

thanks for the help.

If you are looking for something to write music in musical notation than you can use musescore plus you can export to midi so if you really like something you did you can put it into Fl studio (I do this with GarageBand)

I'm drowning more everyday...

Check out my YouTube

Response to Complete beginner. 2016-11-02 22:14:30

A new victim....yesss muhahahhaaa that's it...breathe it in...let the music take you! YESSSSS.

(Welcome to NGs)

BBS Signature

Response to Complete beginner. 2016-11-04 12:21:52

thank you i'll check it out

Response to Complete beginner. 2016-11-06 08:06:38

thanks for the help.

What music are you planning on making?

Sorry if its a bit late, thought I'd see what's up...

Response to Complete beginner. 2016-11-07 16:28:45

At 11/6/16 08:06 AM, XJKies wrote:

thanks for the help.
What music are you planning on making?

Sorry if its a bit late, thought I'd see what's up...

hmm that's tricky, in general i guess i'd like to make music that i can rap too but also sounds for my animations

Response to Complete beginner. 2016-11-07 17:13:16

At 11/7/16 04:28 PM, fs-animations wrote:
hmm that's tricky, in general i guess i'd like to make music that i can rap too but also sounds for my animations

Ok, then just follow the advice from the ones above then... ;)