00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

bbc4lunch just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

official cartoon character?

281 Views | 3 Replies

official cartoon character? 2016-10-21 16:58:35

i got a question how do you make an official cartoon character and get it copyrighted? and maybe become successful by putting that character in a movie tv show or maybe even a video game or commercial or something?

Response to official cartoon character? 2016-10-21 17:58:07

At 10/21/16 05:39 PM, 64trilliontonnetane wrote: mickey mouse

what? no one knows?

Response to official cartoon character? 2016-10-21 18:13:20

At 10/21/16 05:39 PM, 64trilliontonnetane wrote: mickey mouse

mickey mouse is shit. Bugs Bunny all the way.

I turn water into water

BBS Signature

Response to official cartoon character? 2016-10-21 19:08:50

If you have a character you can upload it for a copyright here: http://www.copyright.gov/eco/ though it requires a fee and I wouldn't bother honestly.

Copyright law protects the expression of ideas but not the ideas themselves, which just means the character needs to be integral to the story being told and needs to have consistent, identifiable traits. As an example someone couldn't make a Harry Potter knock off with glasses and a scar, but could make a different story about a boy going to wizard school.

Making that character successful is basically just luck and connections. You can make a marketable character but it wont mean much without a team to market it. It's literally not even worth worrying about. Just try making something and hope people like it, see where you can grow from there.

Although yes I would also say Mickey Mouse.