00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GrawlixMan just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What is your view of Newgrounds?

1,909 Views | 30 Replies

Hello Newgrounds Community, my name is JJ. I've been in, out, and around Newgrounds since about 2002.

Keeping things short and sweet-- I'm conducting research for my uni course on Newgrounds and its community, and I need some inputs from community members (and hopefully content creators) in regards to what their opinion and objective on what Newgrounds is to them. This is so I can create some ideal personas for my project data.

To make things simple, I've phrased this topic into three questions. Please feel free to make your comments as you'd like, or not comment at all. I appreciate anybody that can give me their opinion :)

1) What do you mainly do on Newgrounds? (Games, Movies, Audio, Art, and their subcategories)

2) Why does that appeal to you as an individual?

3) Is there anything on Newgrounds you'd like to see revitalized?

Thanks in advance to anybody that can give their input! :)

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-20 15:03:42

At 10/20/16 02:55 PM, ishJJx3 wrote: 1) What do you mainly do on Newgrounds? (Games, Movies, Audio, Art, and their subcategories)

Shitpost on the BBS.

The more I shitpost, the less I have to think about how I'm gonna die alone.

I fear change.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-20 15:05:32

@Sekhem This was the first post I expected, thank you very much for taking the honours. Greatly appreciated

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-20 17:32:03

1) What do you mainly do on Newgrounds? (Games, Movies, Audio, Art, and their subcategories)

Watch movies, vote

I like to see fresh animation on a daily basis, I have a interest in creativity and seeing what people can achieve

The store :(

Heavy Vibes

BBS Signature

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-20 19:30:32

At 10/20/16 02:55 PM, ishJJx3 wrote: 1) What do you mainly do on Newgrounds? (Games, Movies, Audio, Art, and their subcategories)

Mostly the BBS, movies and occasionally music. I'm not too big a fan of Flash games anymore.

Good community, great seeing fresh ideas people have making into short movies and what not.

The store! D:

This post will actually appear at the bottom of this page.

BBS Signature

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-20 19:34:33

At 10/20/16 02:55 PM, ishJJx3 wrote:

I'm primarily a forumite, though I do check out the rest of NG from time to time.

Generally, I read their thoughts on what's going on, and give my take on things if it interests me on some level. That, and see how certain folks make a clown of themselves with what they say.

Well, I wouldn't mind if NG brought back the adult tab, considering that 90% of users got on NG because of all of the dress up games and hentai that was all over the place back then.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-20 19:36:42

All my activity on Newgrounds relates to shitposting and playing games for now.

I have no fucking idea. I guess I grew up to be unproductive fool, and I never cured myself fully from this disease while growing up to be a successful man.

The community with all it's creativity and fun ideas. I miss popularity of claymations, early flashes from spam groups such as Kitty Krew and Wade Brigade, or creative projects like stick slayer, or first madness movies. It was all there because of the people, who were eager to create, and open minded for fun.

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-20 20:39:57

Back when I was heavily active here I was huge into watching Flash movies and was a frequent forum poster. Now I return here every once in a while out of nostalgia.

Currently it's just a nostalgia thing, but I used to love watching Flash cartoons. The idea of someone who wasn't much older than me being able to make their own shorts was the coolest thing in the world to me.

Not really. I hate saying it but Newgrounds sort of became obsolete as YouTube grew into a massive juggernaut. It's always going to be a huge part of internet history that; unfortunately; will never get the credit it deserves.

BBS Signature

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-21 07:20:21

I agree with @Sekhem

BBS Signature

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-21 07:38:23

Movies and occasional art. What I find best here is a way to find talent for collabortions. Too bad the forums for other things are pretty dead, or just full of spam.

I was born to do creative stuff

Im new here, but I keep noticing how archaic some things are on this site, for example the weird one file limit when uploading something in posts. The 15 min time limit before you can edit your thread's post. Staff pick system is pretty broken too.

Otherwise so far its pretty nice in terms of animation traffic

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-21 14:58:59

The design of the website, the colors. The unique games/movies that originate here and are stolen because they're good. The fact that this site has been running since 1995. The community on the forums, all of it, even the shit posting and spam. This is the site that inspired me to make flash movies, although mine get blammed it doesn't matter. If I was rich I'd fund this site heavily.

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-21 15:42:56

Mostly just watch flash animation and loiter around the BBS.

I find 'em entertaining?

I guess maybe a second renaissance of sprite animations, but that's all I can really think of.

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-21 21:50:59

I'm just here for the dick jokes, which this website is seriously lacking these days you motherfuckers

BBS Signature

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-21 22:54:13

Thank you everybody for your entries! I really appreciate it :)
I'm compiling what I've collected and building a few personas for my research now. Please feel free to still make an entry if you'd like to voice your position in Newgrounds; I'm sure some will find value in seeing what others have to say.

Thanks again!

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-22 11:08:41

ments as you'd like, or not comment at all. I appreciate anybody that can give me their opinion :)

I like to play games, watch movies, and post music.

I enjoy seeing the creativity that content creators put out here (and I definitely appreciate earning medals), and I also like to be a content creator myself- making music is a fun way for me to express my feelings.

The old free speech system. I have been browsing NG for a lot longer than I've had an account, and thinking back to before the 2012 redesign especially, I would lurk the forums and see things that wouldn't really be allowed on most sites. I think of myself as a person with a very controversial opinion a lot of the time, and I enjoyed seeing that people could say a lot of the things that they felt. People would always be called out on their bullshit by users, but they wouldn't generally get in trouble for what they say. But that seems to have gotten a lot worse lately, and it's caused me to start to post less here. There was a period of time where I was banned for 6 months, and although Tom clarified that it was probably a glitch, neither of us are certain what it really was.

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-22 14:10:01

I reupload here my stuff such as art (plan to repost animations too when I'll finally create something longer than few seconds). I watch some movies and other people's art, sometimes play games too. Sometimes vote in "under judgement section" or post here on forums.
Just a little bit of everything.

Idk, it's very passive type of entertainment, so it's good when I'm too tired to do anything else (which happens more often than I wish).

Everything seem to work fine, but I'm here too short to judge.

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-22 22:30:59

1: Hope that a good game comes along.

2: Because I'm retarded.

3: Good games.

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-23 21:21:15

Vote on shit and get experience. Sometimes I visit the BBS haha.

The community. And how we aren't ALL a bunch of nutjobs.

Profile banners. It was nice having something like that on your profile. Granted it's not a huge deal so whatever. Though something I'd be cool with having more possible thought put into is the Lit. Portal that kept getting thrown around for the longest time but we still don't have. We have games, movies, audio, and art. Having a Lit. Portal would be a nice change of pace as long as it's not filled with shittily written fanfics and creepypasta garbage. Which it would be anyways... It's not like it'd be easy moderating something like that.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-24 11:43:34

I fear change.

Really?My wallet loves it!

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-24 16:27:54

Lurk the forums and talk to people. Occasionally attempt to start a project of some sort.

It's individualistic while simultaneously indulging in a community atmosphere. It's very unique and pleasing to me.

The store, the Collabinator being a bit more put forward, and just more traffic but that's not anyone's fault.

Of course bby

:poop

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-25 01:32:07

I like to play games, watch movies, I love the Audio Portal. The BBS has taken up a large chunk of my time on Newgrounds. I also interview people here on Newgrounds.

It is a place where I can share, evaluate, and enjoy creative works from all different people and cultures.

Not really. To be honest Newgrounds has spoiled me based on how other websites run. For those who this is their primary forum, try using a different forum. They all suck in comparison. Also Newgrounds players for movies are all substantially better than other sites.

You're welcome!

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-25 04:36:50

its a great place to see some up and coming artists, play some cool games, listen to cool music, and a great way to stay in shape

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-26 08:16:29

All of the above. I mostly review and vote, on mostly Flash and Art, sometimes post; try to spare some time for medal games and creative crafts. I'd like to make a lot more stuff than I look at stuff others make, but it's a easier; more passive pastime.

Stats are an addiction. The community's a fun place. And I like staying creative and being inspired.

Hmm not really revitalized as much as changed. I like the more close-knit community it's turned into,though there are a lot of things I'd like to see added and improved. Most relevant: two factor authorization, content backups and better preservation of user content (For example: I don't like how individual BBS posts are deleted along with the rest of a topic, would be great if they at least still remained in your posting history).

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-26 08:18:40

At 10/23/16 09:21 PM, Viper wrote: Profile banners. It was nice having something like that on your profile.

Yeah, that'd be nice to have too! More customizable user page overall would be nice.

At 10/21/16 07:38 AM, Ant0on wrote: The 15 min time limit before you can edit your thread's post.

Doesn't it work the other way around - 15 minutes after? Haven't posted a topic in a long time though...

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-26 09:45:10

Doesn't it work the other way around - 15 minutes after? Haven't posted a topic in a long time though...

Oh yeah, my bad, it is the other way around.

Also, why in the world is there a word coun limit in posts? I have to always delete the quoted text...

At 10/26/16 10:17 AM, D-Nightmare wrote:
At 10/26/16 09:45 AM, Ant0on wrote:
Oh yeah, my bad, it is the other way around.

Also, why in the world is there a word coun limit in posts? I have to always delete the quoted text...
Server space, 'cause we ain't Google. We are a work in progress, though

I see, it just feels kinda old-fashioned on these forums, when there is a lack of freedom to post multiple letters/pics/gifs whatever. I mean it doesnt hurt the point of a message board, it would be just way more comfortable to post if there were more options like in Neogaf for example.

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-26 12:50:05

I mainly come here to interact with people on the forums and give feedback on the submissions I vote on when I can. I've yet to submit anything, I never knew how to make games back when I joined and now that I do I don't have time to do anything for a submission.

This is one of the last places that respects anonymity on the internet, Facebook and Google are trying to force you out of anonymity (although there are work around). You get more honesty on here, its accompanied with the harshness that comes with anonymity, but I've found the more mature users that have aged with the community don't leave eviscerating feedback to content creators. Facebook and Youtube have the reality of employers seeing things they probably shouldn't see and that leading to you getting fired the more they push real identities on users.

The new community UI needs to be redone again, it takes too much effort to get to the forums, enough that I changed my Newgrounds quick link from the front page to the forum selection because I hated the UI enough.

BBS Signature

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-26 16:16:04

My view of newgroinds is the computer screen.

winner of the first annual NG Hunger games

life is just a trek, a quest to obtain knowledge, power, perhaps domination. maybe someone will win the race someday

BBS Signature

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-26 17:06:17

I like animations and funny stuff, I should discover a bit more audio and pr0n posted here.

coz I'm in love with animation

I just rediscovered NG yesterday after seven years, so I don't know.

Response to What is your view of Newgrounds? 2016-10-26 18:43:18

To me Newgrounds is the PORTAL all of my biggest inspirations originated from. I'm only now starting to explore it, after realising how big part of my life it actually has, and how weird the world would have been without Newgrounds. My life would have been totally different if I hadn't grown up playing the games from this site, watching the cartoons from this site and being inspired by the people from this site. I love Newgrounds, man.