00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TarikNakich just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Grand Theft Auto 3 15 anniversary

738 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Grand Theft Auto 3 15 anniversary 2016-10-19 17:08:23

On October 22, Grand Theft Auto III celebrates 15 years. Seems like just yesterday, I was doing drive-by shootings which was a brand new design. Where does the time go?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Grand Theft Auto 3 15 anniversary 2016-10-19 17:17:53

At 10/19/16 05:08 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: On October 22, Grand Theft Auto III celebrates 15 years. Seems like just yesterday, I was doing drive-by shootings which was a brand new design. Where does the time go?

The first time I played it I thought Liberty City was based on an an actual, real place.

Also, seeing the night turn to day for the first time was pretty impressive, since it's never been done before, in a 3D game.

For a prototype game it sure was the best: Better than IV even!

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Grand Theft Auto 3 15 anniversary 2016-10-19 17:28:20

At 10/19/16 05:17 PM, Painbringer wrote:
At 10/19/16 05:08 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: On October 22, Grand Theft Auto III celebrates 15 years. Seems like just yesterday, I was doing drive-by shootings which was a brand new design. Where does the time go?
The first time I played it I thought Liberty City was based on an an actual, real place.
Also, seeing the night turn to day for the first time was pretty impressive, since it's never been done before, in a 3D game.

I totally agree with you. It was very impressive and had many new things.

For a prototype game it sure was the best: Better than IV even!

Yes, it also has a good replay factor.

BBS Signature

At 10/19/16 05:17 PM, Painbringer wrote: The first time I played it I thought Liberty City was based on an an actual, real place.

I mean yeah, it is. Obviously it's not a perfect replication of New York City but it's about as close as a game could get at the time.

Ocarina of Time, dude. I doubt that was the first either but that's several years earlier. GTAIII was revolutionary no doubt, but more for the scale of the city and the freedom you had, and a high number of relatively intelligent pedestrians. It all comes together into an advanced experience for the time but each individual part is quite simplistic.

GTAIII actually has some of my fondest memories. First PS2 game I ever played, I remember my brother coming home with the console and this game, and setting it up for the first time. I still associate the PS2 start up and logo with GTAIII, and those first notes as the theme music kicks in is a major nostalgia trigger. going from GTA2 to 3 was such an unbelievable leap.

Response to Grand Theft Auto 3 15 anniversary 2016-10-20 17:49:19

At 10/20/16 01:17 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 10/19/16 05:17 PM, Painbringer wrote: The first time I played it I thought Liberty City was based on an an actual, real place.
I mean yeah, it is. Obviously it's not a perfect replication of New York City but it's about as close as a game could get at the time.

They did do a great job making it look like New York City.

Ocarina of Time, dude. I doubt that was the first either but that's several years earlier. GTAIII was revolutionary no doubt, but more for the scale of the city and the freedom you had, and a high number of relatively intelligent pedestrians. It all comes together into an advanced experience for the time but each individual part is quite simplistic.

GTA 3 did push the envelope with graphics and new things. The freedom was very refreshing.

GTAIII actually has some of my fondest memories. First PS2 game I ever played, I remember my brother coming home with the console and this game, and setting it up for the first time. I still associate the PS2 start up and logo with GTAIII, and those first notes as the theme music kicks in is a major nostalgia trigger. going from GTA2 to 3 was such an unbelievable leap.

It was an amazing game back then, and is still good today. It has aged very well.

BBS Signature

Response to Grand Theft Auto 3 15 anniversary 2016-10-22 19:33:21

At 10/22/16 02:19 PM, BlackSpiralDancer wrote: Still play it today.

Same

I turn water into water

BBS Signature

Response to Grand Theft Auto 3 15 anniversary 2016-10-22 19:34:26

At 10/22/16 07:27 PM, kanef wrote: ocarina of time came out 3 years earlier

I wasn't into Zelda games at the time.

The very first one just didn't hold my interest.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

It was a great game, I have no idea how many hours I put into it.

At 10/22/16 07:34 PM, Painbringer wrote:
At 10/22/16 07:27 PM, kanef wrote: ocarina of time came out 3 years earlier
I wasn't into Zelda games at the time.

The very first one just didn't hold my interest.

I've never cared about Zelda games, so I didn't know this either.

"Sometimes reputations outlive their applications. Sometimes fires don't go out when you're done playing with them."

Response to Grand Theft Auto 3 15 anniversary 2016-10-23 01:59:46

At 10/22/16 02:19 PM, BlackSpiralDancer wrote: Still play it today.

Nice, what is your favorite part?

BBS Signature

Response to Grand Theft Auto 3 15 anniversary 2016-10-25 11:13:35

At 10/19/16 05:08 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Where does the time go?

Into NG? :P

I hope they'll make something like their 10 Year Anniversary thing for phones this time, but for PC. Not expecting it, but would be awesome. Wouldn't mind playing it again.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Grand Theft Auto 3 15 anniversary 2016-10-25 15:20:50

At 10/22/16 07:27 PM, kanef wrote:
At 10/19/16 05:17 PM, Painbringer wrote: Also, seeing the night turn to day for the first time was pretty impressive, since it's never been done before, in a 3D game.
ocarina of time came out 3 years earlier

The Legend of Zelda is a awesome series with many firsts.

BBS Signature

Response to Grand Theft Auto 3 15 anniversary 2016-10-26 13:34:35

At 10/26/16 12:48 AM, KiefBlunt wrote: 15 years? Feels like its been longer.. being a young child and beating hookers with a wooden baseball bat will do that to you I guess

You get old fast playing games that never get old. ;)

As in the time flies when you're having fun.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Grand Theft Auto 3 15 anniversary 2016-10-26 17:21:48

At 10/25/16 11:13 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 10/19/16 05:08 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Where does the time go?
Into NG? :P

That is very true.

I hope they'll make something like their 10 Year Anniversary thing for phones this time, but for PC. Not expecting it, but would be awesome. Wouldn't mind playing it again.

That would be very fun if it actually happened.

BBS Signature