00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Heln966 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Are game dev commentaries good?

416 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Are game dev commentaries good? 2016-10-09 15:42:25

Over this October, I am going to work on my own version of Arkanoid for both university co-op and entertainment purposes. It's a chance for me to experiment with 3D modelling, animation, texture mapping and particle systems.

Just one thing I'm pondering about. Because so far I got more than 1,300 views in GPD Pong, I should add commentary in my Arkanoid game. Not as audio, but as plain text that the user can see when they pause the game. It would not only show the difficulties I had in building the game, but also my own comments on my build and also what were some ideas that inspired me to add them to the game.

Question is, is it appropriate or attractive to have them? Or does it throw the player off-kilter? You do see them in the making of video games, but not in a Newgrounds project like this, in my opinion.

Response to Are game dev commentaries good? 2016-10-15 13:41:17

At 10/9/16 03:42 PM, GregoryDesrosiers wrote:
Question is, is it appropriate or attractive to have them? Or does it throw the player off-kilter? You do see them in the making of video games, but not in a Newgrounds project like this, in my opinion.

I think it's pretentious in general. Make a game, and document the process on a blog. Don't mix the 2

Response to Are game dev commentaries good? 2016-10-17 04:32:10

At 10/9/16 03:42 PM, GregoryDesrosiers wrote: Question is, is it appropriate or attractive to have them? Or does it throw the player off-kilter? You do see them in the making of video games, but not in a Newgrounds project like this, in my opinion.

I personally love developer commentaries. Within game is fine by me. I can say with confidence, I would not read text. Concise audio.

Good luck!

BBS Signature