00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Heln966 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

looking for animators

409 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

looking for animators 2016-09-23 09:23:45

Hi peeps, hope it is ok to post this here, I am currently trying to find amateur animators to go in with me on a project, i have the first episode written, i have the characters roughly done, and some of the backgrounds, i also have a few pages of ideas ready to be turned into episodes, i just really suck at using flash, while i cannot offer any money upfront, i was looking to eventually start a studio, and with the right people have it so everyone who works there gets an equal cut of any money made, a co operative of sorts, so if your interested in the sound of this, and if you are honest and trust worthy, let me know, the cartoon itself will be equivalent to a tv show when it is finished, along the lines of south park, would also help if you are south uk based, bit of a stretch i know and i am willing to talk to anyone interested outside of this area, I'm sure we can come up with some arrangement..
anyway, peace
Dan

Response to looking for animators 2016-09-23 10:35:44

Hi herbalsummer4636444,

Just curious but what exactly are you going at? Is this going to be a comedy, drama, action etc. How long are you expecting these vids to be long or short is any of the audio completed yet? There still alot that you haven't really answered. Anyway examples of my work can be found on my main page @Wondermeow. If i like what you have to offer i would give you a hand.

Kind regards,

Wondermeow

BBS Signature

Response to looking for animators 2016-09-23 10:56:12

At 9/23/16 10:35 AM, Wondermeow wrote: Hi herbalsummer4636444,

Just curious but what exactly are you going at? Is this going to be a comedy, drama, action etc. How long are you expecting these vids to be long or short is any of the audio completed yet? There still alot that you haven't really answered. Anyway examples of my work can be found on my main page @Wondermeow. If i like what you have to offer i would give you a hand.

Kind regards,

Wondermeow

Hi wondermeow, cheers for the reply, I'm basically looking to eventually go up along side south park, i think the first episode will be between 10-15minutes but a few more scenes may need to be added for that, going to 20-25minute episodes eventually, I'm currently working on the audio now, just trying to get the right pitch for the kids, and find the right people for the other voices, i don't have any sound effects, but i know a guy who might be able to help with the soundtrack and overall score, I'll be honest, it is pretty much still in concept at the moment, but that's only because I'm a flash virgin, so any help and advice is always welcomed
cheers

dan

Response to looking for animators 2016-09-23 11:39:13

Dude you really don't know much about the work put behind the animation do you? This might sound tough on you but i hope you take this to heart. To start of the length 10 -15 mins or 20 - 25mins is way to long to ask anyone in there right mind to make happen for you. I min alone takes most of us a month to achieve and South park might look simple but the level of work put into it plus a full production team working a 09:00 - 17:00 shift being paid makes that possible. You need to have a look at what you are trying to achieve and what your asking people to do for you some homework is needed here? When your ready then come back ask again because this is really unrealistic.

BBS Signature

Response to looking for animators 2016-09-23 12:02:11

I get what your saying, and i do have an idea of what goes into it and the work behind it, believe me when i say i am putting in a lot of work and trying my best to learn the software, and while it sounds like a lot, there is no time frame, there is no pressure, it's taken me long enough just to write it as i spent a lot of time writing out the characters, and story ideas, and i am fully ready for a long ride learning the software, i don't expect any of this to be done any time soon, it was more just a pet project being made from the love of the craft, and as I'm learning i have realized how in depth south parks style is, which is why i started to reach out, there's only so many tutorial videos :)

Response to looking for animators 2016-09-23 16:26:30

You do realise it's a giant red flag you're waving around.

- No links to examples of your work
- Still in the proces of learning the software
- No pay, but offering a cut of 'potential earnings'
- 20 min episodes requiring at least a few dozen animators not to mention voice actors, background artists, sfx etc

I'm doing a wild guess here, but you probably have no previous experience managing a project or team of this size. Claiming that it's ok because there is no time frame is, believe or not, actually not a good thing either. Asking others to invest a absorbent amount of time for something that won't have a proportional financial payoff. I could go on, but I think you might get why this simply isn't feasible.

Response to looking for animators 2016-09-24 05:05:03

At 9/23/16 04:26 PM, Plebs wrote: You do realise it's a giant red flag you're waving around.

- No links to examples of your work
- Still in the proces of learning the software
- No pay, but offering a cut of 'potential earnings'
- 20 min episodes requiring at least a few dozen animators not to mention voice actors, background artists, sfx etc

I'm doing a wild guess here, but you probably have no previous experience managing a project or team of this size. Claiming that it's ok because there is no time frame is, believe or not, actually not a good thing either. Asking others to invest a absorbent amount of time for something that won't have a proportional financial payoff. I could go on, but I think you might get why this simply isn't feasible.

i did say eventually leading into 20 minute episodes, i timed the first episode last night and it was under ten minutes, 5 scenes and i think about 8 static backgrounds, but some of them can probably be cut, it's cool though, it's my project, it is something i am trying to do, i see that people are misunderstanding me, so i will say, I am not asking anyone to just do the work, i was just asking for help with it, i have the voice actors (well most of them) I'm in the process of making the backgrounds, and getting the sfx, I'm just struggling with some aspects of flash, mainly character rigging, but hey thanks for the advice anyway, just a shame you aimed in on the money

Response to looking for animators 2016-09-24 13:20:50

I didn't want to jump in because everyone else's comments were spot on, but I do want to clear up a common misconception.

When artists say they want to be paid for projects, it's not greed. (I actually doubt anyone goes into art if they want to get rich. :P) Even if they're just helping out, people would still be putting a lot of time into this project which, for its length (considering it would be about 10 minutes), is already pretty big. I've seen people spend two years on a 3 minute short. To be able to fully commit to a project like that and actually do a job they're satisfied with, artists needs to be working at least part time, and for a small team, maybe even full time. So if they do ask for pay, it's because they want to do a good job and be committed to a project without having to sacrifice their real jobs or end up taking forever because they can't invest enough time to get things done on schedule.

Going in on a project like this is too big of a commitment to be done casually simply because animation is very, very time consuming - it's a long term commitment, which is why people ask for some visual development, lots of detail, so they can be sure they'll invest months of their lives into something they'll see accomplished. I really do think you should do it if you want to tell this story, I really don't think you should give up at all, but like any other personal project, I also think you can expect to be running alone for the first few miles and get more interest when you have more content to show.