00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

picapip just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What do you listen to while reading

1,225 Views | 23 Replies

For me it depends on what I'm reading. If I'm reading fiction I will have ambient trance type stuff going.

But if it's quantum physics or higher maths then I listen to classical music.

Otherwise my mind wanders from lack of stimulation. For me reading is like watching TV. You don't get to exercise your imagination so it can get boring. Even if I'm reading subject matter that would be incomprehensible to most of you on your best day.

Loud busy music with no depth to it though.. that's not very useful for reading.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-26 12:21:18

nothing, i prefer silence when i read.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-26 12:27:02

Reading is so démodé, having other people's logic and pseudo-science injected directly into your cerebral cortex by the government is all the rage nowadays. Get with the times, gramps.

also silence is the only acceptable answer

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-26 13:05:44

At 8/26/16 12:41 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGW-SC8Nxek

I listen to the dulcet tones of this man explain how the Mayor was trying to turn him gay with his sick, flirtatious touch.

If you put your hand on me I will cut it off and shove it up your ass per California Penal Code

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-26 13:11:39

At 8/26/16 12:19 PM, sharpnova wrote: For me it depends on what I'm reading. If I'm reading fiction I will have ambient trance type stuff going.

Quantum physics? Higher maths? I am dubious.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-26 13:56:54

I prefer silence, because my autism will kick in and i can't focus on my reading.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-26 14:22:46

At 8/26/16 12:21 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: nothing, i prefer silence when i read.

Same. I've tried listening to music while reading a book, but it diverts my attention.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-26 15:48:19

At 8/26/16 01:11 PM, satanbrain wrote:
At 8/26/16 12:19 PM, sharpnova wrote: For me it depends on what I'm reading. If I'm reading fiction I will have ambient trance type stuff going.

Quantum physics? Higher maths? I am dubious.

I generally exist on a higher plane than most people.

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-26 15:48:45

Silence is the key to reading. Sometimes the sound of rain can be relaxing while reading
But with silence you can activate your imagination to the fullest and think of fitting background music that corresponds the story yourself, well atleast I can

Silence or piano solos. I love reading, but I especially love reading while it's raining.

BBS Signature

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-26 17:19:53

Whenever I read books, it's always about human anatomy. Though, admittedly, I don't read that often because I learn a lot better when I have audio telling me information rather than reading a book.

Human anatomy is my favorite thing tbh

BBS Signature

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-26 18:28:07

White noise, like the ocean or rain.

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-27 01:39:32

At 8/26/16 03:48 PM, sharpnova wrote: I generally exist on a higher plane than most people.

Unlikely unless your house is built on a hill.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-27 02:26:44

At 8/26/16 03:48 PM, sharpnova wrote:
I generally exist on a higher plane than most people.

If delusion can be classed as a 'higher plane'.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-27 02:26:57

Not music, but not silence either. I need some sort of non distracting background sound to properly focus on reading, like a quiet tv or something.

I guess I find both music and complete silence too distracting, so I need somewhere in the middle.

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-27 03:55:13

I listen to programming concentration music playlists on Youtube :) One of them includes a Castle Crasher Song :)

Robo Rick's Magical Carpet Ride

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-27 04:58:02

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-27 05:27:03

At 8/27/16 03:55 AM, RoboRick wrote: I listen to programming concentration music playlists on Youtube :) One of them includes a Castle Crasher Song :)

I wasn't aware "programming concentration" music was a genre/thing that had playlists. Could you link me a good one?

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-27 05:27:11

At 8/27/16 04:58 AM, TOXlCITY wrote: this album does the trick

That is nice

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-27 16:33:05

At 8/27/16 05:27 AM, sharpnova wrote:
At 8/27/16 03:55 AM, RoboRick wrote:
I wasn't aware "programming concentration" music was a genre/thing that had playlists. Could you link me a good one?

Here you go :)

Robo Rick's Magical Carpet Ride

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-27 16:35:09

Unless the book is really dull, like a textbook, I prefer to read without any background music. I get more out of the text that way and read faster and more accurately.

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-27 17:26:18

At 8/26/16 12:21 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: nothing, i prefer silence when i read.

Same.

"It's called consolidation; strengthen governments and corporations, weaken individuals."

I also draw stuff. Here's some of it.

BBS Signature

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-28 08:38:42

I listen to my self reading the book in my head

Response to What do you listen to while reading 2016-08-28 09:30:23

At 8/28/16 08:38 AM, orion1220 wrote: I listen to my self reading the book in my head

Oh.. I'm sorry you have that limited of a capacity :(

If you read more you might be able to improve that though