00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Duspay98 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Driverless Cars Within Five Years

2,083 Views | 55 Replies

Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 12:48:29

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/17/business/ford-promises-fleets-of-driverless-cars-within-five-years.html?_r=0

In the race to develop driverless cars, several automakers and technology companies are already testing vehicles that pilot themselves on public roads. And others have outlined plans to expand their development fleets over the next few years. Now Ford Motor has done just that.

Where were you when driverless cars were announced? Will you be excited to own one?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 12:51:38

If you actually think that driverless cars will be mainstream in the next five years, you are dreaming.

It's that simple.

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 12:53:52

i hate this idea, but i also hate that people don't take driving seriously and put my life in danger all the time.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 12:54:55

Come on dudes. We're that lazy now?

I guess I'll steal one if I wanna crash horribly into a wall for the kicks.

If you think I got the badassest sig gimme a hell yeah! I drew a dick in there!

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 12:57:50

At 8/17/16 12:51 PM, Bit wrote: If you actually think that driverless cars will be mainstream in the next five years, you are dreaming.
It's that simple.

Nope, it will happen. Driverless cars are the future, now.

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 12:58:35

At 8/17/16 12:53 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: i hate this idea, but i also hate that people don't take driving seriously and put my life in danger all the time.

Driverless cars will be doing all the driving. No more need to worry about bad drivers.

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:03:46

At 8/17/16 12:58 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 8/17/16 12:53 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: i hate this idea, but i also hate that people don't take driving seriously and put my life in danger all the time.
Driverless cars will be doing all the driving. No more need to worry about bad drivers.

like that guy who died while having too much faith in his tesla's auto pilot feature

i'd just rather people know how to drive and treat it like the serious act that is it. i understand that this is where we're going and that ultimately, because of the incompetence and recklessness most people exhibit while driving, that this will be safer than allowing the average person to pilot their own vehicle.

i just don't have to like it. i blame the invention of the automatic transmission.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:10:08

At 8/17/16 12:54 PM, Sp3ktreX wrote: Come on dudes. We're that lazy now?

Americans have to invent everything good for the world.

I guess I'll steal one if I wanna crash horribly into a wall for the kicks.

The car will be a very good driver. Just sit back and chill.

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:11:24

I will keep my Cobalt until it rusts apart before I buy a car that will make me sit while it drives for me.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:13:17

At 8/17/16 01:03 PM, billybobthwarten wrote:
At 8/17/16 12:58 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
like that guy who died while having too much faith in his tesla's auto pilot feature

In five years all the bugs will be corrected.

i'd just rather people know how to drive and treat it like the serious act that is it. i understand that this is where we're going and that ultimately, because of the incompetence and recklessness most people exhibit while driving, that this will be safer than allowing the average person to pilot their own vehicle.

Yes, people driving cars will be like record players and black and white TV. Totally obsolete.

i just don't have to like it. i blame the invention of the automatic transmission.

It is okay, you can hang out with the Amish. They love to shun new technology. I will cruising around town in my driverless car like a boss.

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:20:57

At 8/17/16 01:13 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
In five years all the bugs will be corrected.

we'll see

Yes, people driving cars will be like record players and black and white TV. Totally obsolete.

more like, people that can cook for themselves vs those that can only order food. skilled vs unskilled

It is okay, you can hang out with the Amish. They love to shun new technology. I will cruising around town in my driverless car like a boss.

a boss? or like a little old lady who lacks the ability to pilot her own vehicle safely?

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:22:27

At 8/17/16 01:13 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: It is okay, you can hang out with the Amish. They love to shun new technology. I will cruising around town in my driverless car like a boss.

Remind me to run over your driverless car with a monster truck.

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:30:02

I'll finally be able to text and drive and not have a guilty conscious if I kill someone. Cool.

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:31:25

At 8/17/16 01:11 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: I will keep my Cobalt until it rusts apart before I buy a car that will make me sit while it drives for me.

You can text or watch TV while you drive. Not just sit there.

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:33:49

At 8/17/16 01:20 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: we'll see

Yes we will.

more like, people that can cook for themselves vs those that can only order food. skilled vs unskilled

That is true now. In the future, ovens will cook by themselves.

a boss? or like a little old lady who lacks the ability to pilot her own vehicle safely?

I will have my feet up on the dashboard, and will be playing a video game while the car drives. That sounds like a boss to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:34:16

At 8/17/16 01:31 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 8/17/16 01:11 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: I will keep my Cobalt until it rusts apart before I buy a car that will make me sit while it drives for me.

And get launched outta the window ripped in pieces.

FUCKING COOL!

BBS Signature

At 8/17/16 01:33 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
I will have my feet up on the dashboard, and will be playing a video game while the car drives.

you are aware that's a good way to go straight through the windshield in a crash, right?

That sounds like a boss to me.

a boss takes control

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:41:19

At 8/17/16 01:22 PM, Sp3ktreX wrote:
At 8/17/16 01:13 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: It is okay, you can hang out with the Amish. They love to shun new technology. I will cruising around town in my driverless car like a boss.
Remind me to run over your driverless car with a monster truck.

A monster truck is not a street legal vehicle. It is only used at events for fun.

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:42:19

At 8/17/16 01:30 PM, Kayleeee wrote: I'll finally be able to text and drive and not have a guilty conscious if I kill someone. Cool.

Driverless cars will be smart enough to not run people over. They will also avoid car accidents.

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:47:06

At 8/17/16 01:42 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 8/17/16 01:30 PM, Kayleeee wrote: I'll finally be able to text and drive and not have a guilty conscious if I kill someone. Cool.
Driverless cars will be smart enough to not run people over. They will also avoid car accidents.

Yeah, man, cool! I'll be able to do all sorts of actual activities instead of paying attention!

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:47:49

At 8/17/16 01:34 PM, Sp3ktreX wrote:
At 8/17/16 01:31 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
And get launched outta the window ripped in pieces.

No, that would not happen at all.

FUCKING COOL!

Driverless Cars will be cool. You must emrace the future.

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:50:01

At 8/17/16 01:47 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: No, that would not happen at all.

It totally will. I'll be chilling smoking a cig watching you launch outta the window.

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:51:02

At 8/17/16 01:40 PM, billybobthwarten wrote:
At 8/17/16 01:33 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
I will have my feet up on the dashboard, and will be playing a video game while the car drives.
you are aware that's a good way to go straight through the windshield in a crash, right?

No, you would not go through the windshield. You would have a seatbelt, or anti-smash windows. They have five years to make that stuff, or even better safety devices.

a boss takes control

I will be such a boss, that my car will drive me to Taco Bell, and I will get Boss Nachos.

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:53:27

At 8/17/16 01:47 PM, Kayleeee wrote:
At 8/17/16 01:42 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Driverless cars will be smart enough to not run people over. They will also avoid car accidents.
Yeah, man, cool! I'll be able to do all sorts of actual activities instead of paying attention!

Of course, who needs to pay attention when the car drives for you? Think of all the things you could accomplish while driving.

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:54:25

At 8/17/16 01:51 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
No, you would not go through the windshield. You would have a seatbelt, or anti-smash windows. They have five years to make that stuff, or even better safety devices.

when you have your feet up and a seat belt on, you slide right under the belt and through the windshield in a crash.

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 13:56:16

At 8/17/16 01:53 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Of course, who needs to pay attention when the car drives for you? Think of all the things you could accomplish while driving.

I could do my nails, or do my homework, or maybe color a picture!

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 14:10:29

At 8/17/16 01:50 PM, Sp3ktreX wrote:
At 8/17/16 01:47 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: No, that would not happen at all.
It totally will. I'll be chilling smoking a cig watching you launch outta the window.

Nope, you will be chilling watching me playing video games in my driverless car. No matter how fast my car drives, I will remain inside it, unharmed. You will be thinking, " He is the Future. "

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 14:12:20

At 8/17/16 01:54 PM, billybobthwarten wrote:
At 8/17/16 01:51 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
when you have your feet up and a seat belt on, you slide right under the belt and through the windshield in a crash.

You are thinking in the past. Driverless cars will probably have force fields to keep you safe. The Future is so bright, I have to wear shades.

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 14:45:44

At 8/17/16 02:10 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Nope, you will be chilling watching me playing video games in my driverless car. No matter how fast my car drives, I will remain inside it, unharmed. You will be thinking, " He is the Future. "

I'll be sipping beer watching this fascinating glorifying crash.

Driverless Cars Within Five Years

BBS Signature

Response to Driverless Cars Within Five Years 2016-08-17 15:18:15

At 8/17/16 03:01 PM, Xenomit wrote:
At 8/17/16 01:40 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: you are aware that's a good way to go straight through the windshield in a crash, right?
You are aware that there's only been one crash while a car was under automated driving, right?

One, compared to the thousands that happen between regular people

there has been at least one other crash involving autonomous cars.

and from that link "Google has been operating its self-driving car program on public roads in California for 15 months to help its cars map the terrain and learn from real-world driving situations. The company has filed regular, detailed reports with the California Department of Motor Vehicles, and the program has logged 424,331 autonomous miles.

During this time, a human driver has had to assume control of these purportedly self-driving vehicles more than 340 times, an average of 22.7 times a month. In these instances, the self-driving technology failed and automatically ceded control to the human driver 272 times. Another 69 times, the driver felt compelled to intervene and take control.

This clearly shows that, despite the sophistication of the software that guides Google’s vehicles, driving in the real world is fraught with a complexity that these cars are not yet capable of handling on their own."

At 8/17/16 03:01 PM, Xenomit wrote:
At 8/17/16 01:40 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: you are aware that's a good way to go straight through the windshield in a crash, right?
You are aware that there's only been one crash while a car was under automated driving, right?

One, compared to the thousands that happen between regular people

you are aware that you just said the same thing, right? you must not live in an area where deer jump in front of you on a regular basis.